Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Strategy Article: Building Modified Decks (includes a Latias ex deck)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysterioustrainer

Pokémon-e Trading Card Game and the Modified Format

Amongst the world of the Pokémon-e Trading Card Game there is a tournament format simply called “Modified.” I can recall thousands of times this word baffles trainers far and wide when I say it. However it is the format used in most premiere tournaments, including the World Championship, so it is important to understand this part of the game, if any trainer hopes to become a Pokémon Master.

First let me explain what it is. The Modified Format is a format used in constructed deck events such as City, State, National and World Championships. It has continued to be in existence ever since the days when Neo Genesis was released. In Modified only the most recent set of cards could be used in a deck and every one to two years sets were knocked off the list.

Currently the rules for Modified state that Expedition ( ), Aquapolis ( ), Skyridge ( ), EX: Ruby and Sapphire ( ), EX: Sandstorm ( ), EX: Dragons ( ), EX: Team Magma vs. Team Aqua, any set released thereafter, and any Promo Cards ( ) numbered 001 and on are the only cards that can be used. However any cards (included Basic Energy Cards), from previous sets can be used if the card has been re-released in one of the legal sets. For example, you could use a Potion from Base Set because it was re-released in EX: Ruby and Sapphire.

Many ask me why is the Modified Format the format used in most events, and ask me won’t that discourage players from playing. Well there are several advantages to Modified along with few disadvantages. First off, the Modified Format makes it easier for new players to join the events because with the Pokémon-e Trading Card Game being out for over five years there are so many older cards that become harder to collect as time passes and they only have access to newer cards. Second the Unlimited Format (the format where almost any card can be used) has so many “archetypes” that new creations aren’t often made. Modified allows new ideas for decks come to life as new sets come out. Modified stirs this creativity even further because older sets are dropped from the format as each tournament season passes. The only realistic disadvantage is that it can leave some players in the dust because it may take time for them time to collect the cards.

Many have their own strategies to building their own Modified Deck but this is my way these days.
  • Look for a solid strategy. Most winning Modified Decks have to have some solid strategy in order to win. In the Pokémon-e Trading Card Game the most common ways to win is to either by invoking very fast damage, taking time to invoke heavy damage, or strategically wearing down your opponent. Modified does not have many fast damaging decks, except maybe some of the Pokémon ex from EX: Ruby and Sapphire. A good majority of famous decks are focused on a mass damage perspective. While there are a couple that simply drains out your opponent’s strategies. Finding that strategy comes in two ways, one simply studying each individual card you have or two, looking for ideas from others.
  • Once you have a strategy in mind you have to look for the key Pokémon, Trainer and Energy cards that can support it, most likely a strategy will rely one two to three evolution chains of Pokémon. There can also be Trainer Cards or Special Energy Cards vital to the success of the deck so look for those as well.
  • Adding support to the strategy. Once you have a working strategy going, try to add cards that support the strategy by making it work faster (this means get the strategy working in few turns) or by saving the strategy from collapsing (such as cards that keep the vital Pokémon alive and in the game and preventing vital energy from being discarded redundantly.
  • Adding support to the deck, there are cards that are needed to get your deck going, this is mostly found in trainers such as Professor Birch or TV Reporter. Also there are support cards that get used cards out of the discard pile, look for them as well.
  • Last you need to add anything that can prove helpful by saving deck space (such as Energy Search or Rare Candy) or is needed like Basic Energy.
Tips to following this is to pull out the maximum number of cards (four) you plan to use and then put some away as you feel they aren’t needed as much. One good guideline to follow is to make sure any key card has two copies in your deck because the odds of any one card in your deck falling into your prizes is 10% whereas find one of two of the same, its odds are less than 3%. Also make sure you are balanced in Pokémon, Trainers and Energy, try to make it around 20 to 20 to 20 each.

So now let’s build a deck, I have been fascinated with Latias ex lately and I wanted to see if I couldn’t get one to work:

First I looked at Latias ex main attack, Mist Ball. It requires the discarding of a Fire and Water energy to work, thinking on this I looked for cards that would help me instantly get energy back and back on Latias ex on the same turn. After a careful search I decided that Energy Search, Swampert, Blaziken and Fisherman were musts in this deck. So I have:

Pokémon: 17
3 Latias ex (EX: Dragons 93/97 ex holo)
3 Torchic (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 74/109 common)
2 Combusken (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 27/109 uncommon/Promo 009)
2 Blaziken (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 3/109 holo)
3 Mudkip (EX: Dragons 65/97 common)
2 Marshtomp (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 40/109 uncommon/Promo 010)
2 Swampert (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 13/109 holo)
Trainers: 8
4 Energy Search (Fossil 59/62 common/Expedition 153/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 90/109 common)*
4 Fisherman (Skyridge 125/109 uncommon)
Energy: 24
12 Fire Energy
12 Water Energy

Total Cards in the deck: 49

Okay now let’s focus on getting help to the strategy so I decided that Dunsparce and Delcatty would be good Pokémon to get the strategy working faster. As for trainers, I decided that Rare Candy and Pokéballs would help get evolution pokémon out fast while Switches and Energy Switches would keep the Strategy alive.

Pokémon: 23
2 Dunsparce (EX: Sandstorm 60/100 common)
2 Skitty (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 70/109 common)
2 Delcatty (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 5/109 holo)
Trainers: 20
4 Energy Search (Expedition 153/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 90/109 common)*
3 Rare Candy (EX: Sandstorm 88/100 uncommon)
3 Poke Ball (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 86/109 uncommon)*
3 Switch (Expedition 157/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 92/109 common)*
3 Energy Switch (Aquapolis 120/147 uncommon/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 82/109 uncommon)
12 Fire Energy*
12 Water Energy*

Total Cards in deck: 67

Now lets look at trying to fit in any other help. First off there is no Card Drawing engine so I had to make room for some. Oracle and Professor Oak Research Resolved that problem. Next I wanted to fit in Power Plant so that I would have a Stadium Card for use.

Trainers: 30
4 Professor Oak’s Research (Expedition 149/165 uncommon)
4 Oracle (Skyridge 138/144 uncommon)
4 Energy Search (Expedition 153/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 90/109 common)*
3 Switch (Expedition 157/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 92/109 common)*
3 Energy Switch (Aquapolis 120/147 uncommon/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 82/109 uncommon)
2 Power Plant (Aquapolis 139/147 uncommon)
12 Fire Energy*
12 Water Energy*

Total Cards in deck: 77

Now that I have the cards I want to get in play I have to take 17 cards away. First off I cropped 3 of each kind of energy so now I am down to 11. Next I took away a Mudkip and a Torchic to make room, down to 9. After careful decision, I decided to not have the two Power Plants nor did I keep an Oracle, Energy Search, Fisherman, and the three switches, that makes 1 left and after careful thought I let an Oak go so that I could keep the third Latias ex. So the final product is:

Pokémon: 21
2 Torchic (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 74/109 common)
2 Mudkip (EX: Dragons 65/97 common)
Trainers: 21
3 Professor Oak’s Research (Expedition 149/165 uncommon)
3 Oracle (Skyridge 138/144 uncommon)
3 Energy Search (Expedition 153/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 90/109 common)*
3 Fisherman (Skyridge 125/109 uncommon)
Energy: 18
9 Fire Energy*
9 Water Energy*

Total Count: 60 cards

Once you have built a deck, test it to get it to work, this is done by simply playing the deck and taking note of what’s working and what is not. Another way is to build powerful decks you’ve seen and play test against them and get your deck to beat them all as the best you can. Basically just start using your deck and see if it is worth keeping.

Now one vital important aspect to surving the format is PRACTICE! I can’t emphasize this enough. The game is all about keep on trying and correcting your mistakes, this is the most important part to winning the game. Well with that said, I think I have concluded my thoughts and opinions on the Modified Format for this time. I would appreciate any thoughts on the article or the deck you would like to add sometimes I learn a new trick here and there. The reason for writing this is because my league members are asking my advice in building good Modified Decks

Last edited:
Comment first directed to Ray05 - There is no need to bash people with handicap words as that is not cool, and why bother wasting your time posting something as pointless as that other than to make yourself sleep better at night...huh n00b?

It's obvious that know pretty well how the game is played judging by the book at the beginning or your post. Not sure all that was needed but I'm sure someone will appreciate it???

As far as your deck goes...I like it. I have a deck like this in it's testing stages but it is a lot more focused which is what you need to do to this. I can see the concept your working for with to whole Fire Starter / Energy Switch combo but your shooting for too much in one deck. Instead of typing it all out, try this...

- 2 Torchic (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 74/109 common)
- 2 Combusken (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 27/109 uncommon/Promo 009)
- 2 Blaziken (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 3/109 holo)
- 3 Energy Search (Expedition 153/165 common/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 90/109 common)*
- 1 Rare Candy (2 is enough)
- 3 Poke Ball (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 86/109 uncommon)*
- 3 Energy Switch (Aquapolis 120/147 uncommon/EX: Ruby and Sapphire 82/109 uncommon)
- 1 Fire
- 1 Water
That gives us 18 free slots
+ 2 Mudkip (EX: Dragons 65/97 common)
+ 1 Marshtomp (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 40/109 uncommon/Promo 010)
+ 1 Swampert (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 13/109 holo)
+ 3 TV Reporters (Extrta draw is always nice)
+ 3 Master Ball (way better than Poke Ball)
+ 2 High Pressure System (Allows 'Kip, and 'Stomp to retreat for free and Swampert to retreat for 2)
+ 3 Oran Berry / Potion / Moo Moo Milk (Damage removal is a necessity...prolly berry)
+ 1 Town Volunteers (Recycle ur pokemon)
+ 2 Warp Point / Switch (Get out injured pokes)

So here's our result... (Drum roll pleaz???)

Pokemon: 19
4 Mudkip (The one with 50hp that Paralyzes for 1 water from R/S)
3 Marshtomp (I would play the one from Dragons...It's better IMO)
3 Swampert (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 13/109 holo)

Trainers: 25
3 Professor Oak’s Research
3 Oracle
3 TV Reporter
3 Fisherman
2 Rare Candy
3 Master Ball
2 High Pressure System
3 Oran Berry / Potion / Moo Moo Milk ...prolly berry
1 Town Volunteers
2 Warp Point / Switch

Energy: 16
8 Fire Energy (Should be enough)
8 Water Energy (Should be enough)

Hopefully I didn't ruin your deck by totally altering your playstyle. I saw the concept of your other deck but I thought that this way would run smoother. I run Swampert / Latias but slightly differently... :D
Sorry the post was so long...just wanted to help and I hope I did??? Good Luck with the deck!

'Duck
:D

OK. First. I point out what's WRONG with this deck.

LATIAS ex SUCKS. PERIOD. He isn't good. Discard 3 for 100 with cruddy first attack and decent bottom stats doesn't make him playable. You're better off running Rayquaza, which will be less situational. 100 damage may not be enough sometimes...WHAT THEN! WHAT THEN!

Your evo lines aren't enough. 2/2/2 sucks. Drop that. It sucks.

Swampert means you have to have energy in hand. If he discards it, OOPS TOO BAD.

Wow does Wobbufet+Crystal kill you. Just wow.

Too little energy oops ;x

ALRIGHT. You insist on running Latias. Here's your new deck.

2 Dunsparce SS
4 Torchic (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 74/109 common)
4 Blaziken (EX: Ruby and Sapphire 3/109 holo)
2 Mareep
2 Ampharos EXpedition

Trainers: 20
4 Professor Oak’s Research (Expedition 149/165 uncommon)
3 Oracle (Skyridge 138/144 uncommon)
3 TV Reporter
4 Rare Candy (EX: Sandstorm 88/100 uncommon)
3 Master Ball
1 Town Volunteers
2 Switch

Energy: 17
8 Fire
6 Water
3 Multi

The idea is simpler than your deck. You only need to attach 1 energy. Instead of using swampert's power AND blaziken's power, attach water/multi and use blaze/ampharos to get the other 2 energies on it. You don't have to abuse both Blaze and Swampert. Instead, have 2 blaze and a Amph in play, keep bringing back 2 fires, attaching water and then doing 100.

You're better off running BAR. The ability to do more damage to OHKO things like Wailord ex or Gardevoir ex is better for you.

Edited: If you've already been told twice, why'd you post something that would make you be told a third time? What's good for Ray, is good for you....

Last edited by a moderator:
ausen: You know some people don't like/play BAR. Get over it, stop making people feel bad and calling them names for not playing it.

As for the deck. Just do something simple that works:

Pokemon(19):
3x Mudkip
1x Marshtop
3x Swampert
3x Latias EX
3x Magnemite
3x Magneton (EX Dragon)
3x Dunsparce

Trainers(23):
4x Oak's Research
3x Jugglers
2x Switch
2x Warp Point
3x Pro. Elm's Training Method
3x Rare Candy
3x Oracle
2x TV Reporter
1x Town Volunteers

Energy(18):
4x Multi
7x Water
7x Fire

Magneton's Power gets 2 energies back from the discard for just one card. And Then lay them down with Swampert. That means 100 every turn. Magneton's attack itself is nice for back up. 10x the amount of energy on your side of the field.

First off this deck is alright, but having two Stage 2 evolutions gets kind of hard to put up with.

And a Wobbuffet with a Crystal Shard won't kill your Latias in 1 hit, its attack doesn't apply Weakness or Resistence for the damage.

Latias is alright because you only need 3 Energies to do 100 and only needing to discard a Fire and Water Energy. Having Swampert really helps this deck out to do 100 damage real fast, so if you really want him in leave him in. You are just going to need some Switches and Balloon Berries for your Latias to get powered up on the bench again. :)

Kyogre said:
ausen: You know some people don't like/play BAR. Get over it, stop making people feel bad and calling them names for not playing it.
Yeah, I made him a deck for his type then. His concept was flawed, even if he doesn't want to play BAR. To use Marshtomp, you have to have energy in hand, and attach to ACTIVE. To use Blaziken, he has to be BENCHED. He'd have to switch+retreat EVERY TURN, without any free retreaters. His evo lines were also TOO LOW. He'd never have consistency with them.

Rather, if he wanted to play that, he should rethink his strategy a la BAR. If you can use ampharos instead of Swampert, you gain tons of consistency. Why? No need to switch. Just keep recycling your fire energies onto Latias AND PLAY A WATER FROM HAND. No need to double switch, no need to worry about both powers or evo lines. Just transfer 2 fires on, play a water and do your damage.

I said Rayquaza WAS better, and it is. And he'd be better off playing it. That doesn't mean he CAN'T play this.

And why would Amph/Blaze work better than Mag/Swamp? Mag has to discard to use it's power ;x Blaze/Amph doesn't. You kill hand advantage with that.

BTW, if I were you, drop the Delcatty line for 3 Pokemon Nurse and another Master Ball. Should help speed up your deck. Also, if you want, change TV Reporter for Juggler. It's all preference.

Edite: No really, you don't have to stay on form. You know what that'll get you.

Last edited by a moderator:
PokeMasterFlabface said:
And a Wobbuffet with a Crystal Shard won't kill your Latias in 1 hit, its attack doesn't apply Weakness or Resistence for the damage.
Umm, ya it does, it just dosen't apply w/r to wobbers when it does damage to itself... read the card...

ausen said:
LATIAS ex SUCKS. PERIOD. He isn't good. Discard 3 for 100 with cruddy first attack and decent bottom stats doesn't make him playable.
umm, SHE only discards 2 nrg, and the first attk aint too bad... good 4 stall.... I think u were thinkin of Latios ex...

and Kyogre, ur deck works purdy well. alot of ppl that play at my league have a similar deck and it gets set up relitively fast. Good job! ;p lol
-SwampertEX

Last edited:
SwampertEX said:
umm, SHE only discards 2 nrg, and the first attk aint too bad... good 4 stall.... I think u were thinkin of Latios ex...

That just means that Blaziken, with 2 in play, can power up a second one on the bench, whereas runnin Blaze/Swamp requires DOUBLE SWITCHING.

If you wanted to go ALL SWAMP+Fisherman+Latios that COULD work, but then you dont get the cool Nurse combo x.x

I think everyone here is kind of forgetting the most important part of the title... Pokemon: tcG... It's a GAME. Get over yourselves for once and have fun. I mean, sheesh, just because someone doesn't run a good deck, it DOES NOT mean you can bash them. You know what, if someone's running a cruddy deck, ;et them! Then you can beat them easier! If you wanna be a jerk, be a jerk in a way that the rest of us don't have to deal with it! In my opinion, the Latias deck is almost an exact replica of the BAR deck, only slightly different in stradegy.

Overall, I still think people get WAY too worked up over a couple peices of cardboard and coins. I collect as many cards as the rest of the players my age, but that doesn't make me a worse or better player. The main goal is to have fun, and if you wanna be a competitve smart aleck, go play football or something so you can work your aggression out by running into others, because that seems like the only way it's gonna work for you.

I appologize if I've offended anyone, but you must look at yourselves once and a while. I admit I get caught up in the game once and a while, as well. But it's not a way of life, my friends! Please relize this before it's too late....

Well I thought that Wobbuffet would not apply Weakness and Resistence for its attack. I know it does 10 dmg to itself, but why would it not apply Weakness and Resistence to itself. They should have reworded that card, cause that seems pretty retarded just for the 10 dmg to itself. :)

Kyogre said:

As for the deck. Just do something simple that works:

Pokemon(19):
3x Mudkip
1x Marshtop
3x Swampert
3x Latias EX
3x Magnemite
3x Magneton (EX Dragon)
3x Dunsparce

Trainers(23):
4x Oak's Research
3x Jugglers
2x Switch
2x Warp Point
3x Pro. Elm's Training Method
3x Rare Candy
3x Oracle
2x TV Reporter
1x Town Volunteers

Energy(18):
4x Multi
7x Water
7x Fire

Magneton's Power gets 2 energies back from the discard for just one card. And Then lay them down with Swampert. That means 100 every turn. Magneton's attack itself is nice for back up. 10x the amount of energy on your side of the field.
Well so far I have liked this idea, it seems like it would run better than Blaziken. I will have to build it and see how it works.

PokeMasterFlabface said:
Well I thought that Wobbuffet would not apply Weakness and Resistence for its attack. I know it does 10 dmg to itself, but why would it not apply Weakness and Resistence to itself. They should have reworded that card, cause that seems pretty retarded just for the 10 dmg to itself. :)
Why you started talking about Wobbuffet here is beyond me, but if you must know, if the attack didn't say ignore Weakness and Resistence to damage done to itself the damage would double because it is weak to its own type. Same scenario as the old confusion rule.

yeah why even bother with badmouthing others???

if you think your deck is better, prove it to them in a match at a tourney...............

until then, who cares if you think your deck pwns all?????

back to the deck

use swampert instead of blaziken............ water is stronger lately than lightning, so blaze is more vulnerable

water can go up against magneton if played right, and wobb does great vs amphy

just my opinion

Myst,

Although I like where you're coming from with your deck, a possible flaw with it is it's counting of Latias EX to come out, get powered up fast and STAY powered up, squishing anything and everything that comes in its path.

In relying on Latias EX as your primary Pokemon to attack if it runs into a Wobbeffet, it's going to run into problems, (since Latias EX cannot attack Wobbeffet). This also would be a good stall tactic for your opponent, if he or she has a primary line of Pokemon that they are working on getting BIG and FED!

Another bad point about using Latias EX (along with most Dragons) are their weakness to Colorless. A mere Skitty doing 10 damage and putting the opponent automatically to sleep in conjunction with a number tail-flips on your part can find your Latias EX either knocked out or close to being so quickly.

I've been toying around with a Latias EX deck as well. However, the Latias EX is my secondary line of attack, with the primary one being the Salamence line, (with the Salamence that has the Dragon Wind Poke Power, that allows me it to pull an opponents basic of my choosing from their bench before attacking it).

In addition, I've boosted up the Fire and Water energy count to 11 each. (I had uped it to 12, but am experimenting with reducing it in lieu of 2 additional trainers). The only energy draw cards I have are 2 Fisherman.

My main emphasis with respect to the Trainers are trainers that will allow me to get bascs onto the bench as quickly as possible (with one or two Bagons along with a Latias), along with additional trainers to help the Bagons get BIG as quickly as possible.

The main idea is to get a Bagon/Shelgon/Salamence up and running quickly, to start bashing on the opponents Pokemon who may not be powered up or fed completely with energy cards, and to bring in a FED Latias out a bit later to pick up the slack.

- Tony

Last edited:
Dark Tyranitar correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Salamence weak against colorless also???
How is Wob going to be a problem? If he does run into Wob, he could use Swampert to kill it...as he does play water energy.

good point there chaddy, salamence is weak to colorless

swampert has a decent enough attack to ward off basically anything that latias can't handle

Yes, Salamence is weak to colorless. (I never said it was not.)

However, it is also 30 HP stronger than Latias EX, and you don't loose 2 prizes if it is knocked out!

(The main point I was trying to get across was that with Latias EX having an HP of 90 and being weak to other colorless Pokemon, there are many colorless Pokemon out there that can inflect some serious damage on it pretty easily. And, if Latias EX's opponent is knocked out, a second can come off of the bench and finish off the damage started, with the opponent taking 2 prizes for the one that was obtained with Latias EX's original 100 attack.)

Now, if you have two or three of these Latias Exs that are knocked out your opponent can quickly end up doubling up on you prize-wise.

With respect to using Swampert to ko Wobbeffet, yeah you can do that. However, how easy do you think it will be to get 4 energy cards onto Swampert with a deck that has 17 - 18 total, along with those hungry Latias EX continuing to gobble them down? (Swampert's Water Call Poke Power is only going to enable you to add an extra Water Energy card from your hand to your active Pokemon. It's not going to allow you to get them directly from the discard pile onto your Pokemon.)

- Tony

Last edited:
dude, fisherman, magneton, tv............ all of those make it simple to get the nrg back to ur hand..........

salamence can't hit as hard or as quickly as a latias........... that's what we're saying........

besides, u don't start out with latias, it's on the bench until it attacks, and the healing aspect of the deck would help protect latias n-e-wayz

Eddie,

The one BIG thing you are neglecting here is that with a quickly evolved Salamence it can very easily pull whatever opponent's Pokemon it wants from the bench and start bashing on them quickly. This is also a very effective way to disrupt any evolving that the opponent might be doing.

When you're doing 60 damage a pop to basic or Stage one Pokemon (or even a Stage 2 Pokemon that still needs energy) you don't need the 100 firepower that Latias EX supplies, (at least not right away).

My Latias EX's are on the bench getting feed with Energy after Salamance has its 4, getting ready for the next wave of attacks on any Evolved or powerful Basics that may slip through.

With respect to the "healing aspect" of the deck, it doesn't help if Latias has MAJOR DAMAGE done to it quickly.

Hyper EEVEE, if your comment was aimed at my posting my reply to you is until you create the Latias EX/Blaziken/Swampert/Delcatty line along with a Latias Ex/Swampert and Latias EX/Salamence line and tested ALL THREE OUT you really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

I've worked with two of the three and am most satisfied with the results from my Latias EX/Salamence line.

To each his own here. This is just my opinion on things, and if you don't agree no biggie. You very well may have more success with the Latias EX/Blaziken/Swampert/Delcatty line.

- Tony

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back