Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

T2rk9

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuicidalPikachu

So, coming out of rising rivals this will be a deck i believe will see alot of play at BRs and such. so i wanted to build a good list for it.

Pokemon: 20

4 Growlithe RR- a 70hp Basic, and a Great First Attack makes this guy the obvious choice to start with.
4 Arcanine RR- so, With his body you have no weakness. Setting up with Growlithe's first attack makes you able to use either of his attacks T2 for 60+. He has a great Rage hit which gets fueled by Overdown making this guy a beast.
2 Baltoy GE- best baltoy to get to claydol. 1 because you really don't want to start with him.
2 Claydol GE- Your Draw Engine, plain and simple.
1 Azelf LA- Great card to have in any deck.
2 Uxie LA- Good Draw and Draw, and helps in machamp match-up.
1 Uxie LvX- gives uxie a consistant draw after the drop, and again, helps in champ match-ups.
2 Unown G- Great Power, blocks arcanines/claydols from effects, and makes it so take out doesn't donk you.
1 -1 Xatu SW- Switches the burn from Overdown to your opponent.

Energy: 14

8 Fire Energy- Your Basic energy, needed for Arcanine to attack, and triggers his body
4 Call Energy- For any start other than growlithe, a T1 Call is nice. and arcanine only needs 1 fire to attack with so it doesn't matter if this is attached.
2 Upper Energy- The modern day scramble, turns Flames of Rage into a 2 energy commitment instead of 3.

Trainers: 26

4 Bebe's Search- Poke Search, staple card
3 Roseanne's Research- Same as above
1 Luxury Ball- same as above
3 Stark Mountain- Countergym, and helps manipulate your energy.
2 Night Maintenance- Staple Card, recovery help
3 Warp Point- Allows for getting out of non-growlithe starts or getting a bulky 2-retreat RK9 out of active
4 Pokehealer- Eliminates Self-inflicted burns, or allows arcanine to stay out for that 1 more crucial turn.
2 Cynthia's Feelings- RK9 has 100 hp so it won't last long, drawing 8 off of that is great.
4 PlusPower- again, LOTS of room, and extra damage.

Arcanine LV.53 - Fire - HP100
Stage 1 Pokemon - Evolves from Growlithe

Poke-Body: Flare Condition
As long as this Pokemon has any Fire Energy attached to it, this Pokemon has no Weakness.

[R][C] Over Down: 30 damage. You may do an additional 30 damage. If you do, Arcanine is now Burned.
[R][C][C] Flames of Rage: 60 damage. Discard 1 Fire Energy attached to Arcanine and do an additional 10 damage times the number of damage counters on Arcanine.

Weakness: Water (+20)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

Growlithe LV.26 - Fire - HP70
Basic Pokemon

[C] Stoke: Search your deck for 1 Fire Energy card and attach it to Growlithe. Shuffle your deck afterward.
[R][C][C] Take-Down: 50 damage. Growlithe does 10 damage to itself.

Weakness: Water (+20)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

So you want to start with a Growlithe, and T1 stroke, T2 evolve into RK9 and over down/ Flames of Rage sweep for the donk or all your prizes. i'm not going to pretend to know the crazy things people will be trying with this set out so i won't post any match-ups yet. straightforward deck with good potential. there's alot of filler in here so feel free to give suggestions for added cards.

Last edited:
why do you have 1 baltoy and 2 claydol?:S

It increases consistency. Senior World Champ Dylan L used 2 Baltoy and 3 Claydol in his deck that won Worlds. It's basically because Baltoy is easier to search for than Claydol, so it would be better to draw into Claydol.

If Baltoy gets prized and Azelf power sprayed, then no Claydol for you. Therefore, I'd run at least 2-2 and maybe even 2-3.
Also, did you test out a slightly slower version with Xatu? It's a rather random idea maybe but it could nudge Arcanine into certain KO's that he wouldn't reach otherwise.

i made this list in like 10 mins, so there were bound to be some stuff i didnt think of, i'm ditching the 3 bucks for a 1-1 Xatu and a 2nd baltoy.

I like the Xatu in here but isn't the idea of the deck to burn Arcanine, get damage on it quickly and then hit for lots of damage with Flames of Rage?

I actually started testing this deck yesterday. I like it but from what I've seen Xatu isn't as good in battle as it seems on paper because before you can use it's Poke-Power you have to flip 2 coins anyways. I also this Rainbow Energy is good in this deck for Flames of Rage. I also run my list with 3 Volkner's and 4 Energy Pickup. You might want to try that out but overall I like it.

Pokeric, you don't need to flip for Xatu.
S/He means that before you get to use Xatu you would have already flipped for your Burned Arcanine twice.

Arcanine player uses Over Down and decides to do the extra 30. Arcanine is now burned. After damage calculation the Arcanine player flips to see if his Burned Arcanine takes the burn daamge.
Your opponent goes... does his or her turn... blah blah... their turn ends. Between turns the Arcanine player has to flip for Burn again to see if their Burned Arcanine would take damage and in that time the Arcanine could have been easily KOed depending on the outcome of the burn flips.

2 flips.

on average you'll take 20 from burn, if you don't get KO'd, you xfer the burn and then flames of rage for almost always a KO. 60+about 80 more damage, KOs everything in the format, and w/ pluspowers, everything viable to be played.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back