Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Team PikaClan's Hoenn and Sinnoh Gym Leader cards

Charizardian

Alright fakers, ready for your next challenge? You must create a final evolution (Meaning any stage, but the Pokémon cannot evolve any further) of a Hoenn or Sinnoh gym leader. Here is the rubirc.

Name: 5 Points
This needs no explanation.

HP: 3 Points
Don't make it too low or too high.

Picture: 7 points
Remember to be descriptive!

Type: 5 points
A note for this round: The Pokémon you make must be type oriented (i.e. Brawly must get a fighting Pokémon).

Weakness/Resistance/Retreat Cost: 9 Points
Be sure to give the cards a proper weakness, resistance, and retreat cost.

Poké-Power/Body and Attacks: 50 Points
Be sure to use é, originality, and good grammar.

Rarity, Flavor Text, and Level: 5 Points
Don't froget these!

Explanations: 8 Points
Tell me why you gave them attacks/powers/bodies like you did, and why you gave them the certain amount of HP, Retreat cost, and the weakness/resistance.

Strategy:8 Points
Don't make cards that can't combo with anything!

Total: 100 Points

And now, the restrictions for this round:
No Pokémon ex or LV X Pokémon
No fake card mehcanics (Such as Ultima Type)
No dual types.

Deadline is Thursday, September 27th, at 4:00 PM ET.

Byron's Bastiodon Lv 39 HP140 [M]

Stage 2 Evolves from Byron's Shieldon

Poké-Body Shield Block
All Basic [M] Energy cards attached to your [M] type Pokémon gain the following text: “Damage done to the Pokémon [M] Energy is attached to is reduced by 10 (after applying Weakness and Resistance).” This Poke-Body can’t be used if another of your Pokémon’s Shield Block is already in effect.

[M][M][C] Iron Gleam 60+
If Byron's Bastiodon wasn't damaged by an attack during your opponent's next turn, this attack does 60 damage plus 20 more damage.

W: [F]+30
R: [C]-20
RC:[C][C][C][C]

Rarity: Rare Holo

Flavor Text: Byron's BASTIODON is a strong fighter and cares for its fellow Steel type Pokémon. It is his main choice in gym battles, and can withstand even the toughest attacks.

Picture:
There is a Bastiodon and a Sheildon in a gym. They are sleeping on the floor. There is a Steelix and an Onix sleeping in the corner, and a pair of Bronzor sleeping, still levitating, in the other corner. There is a lot of light reflecting off of Bastiodon's face. There is a crane with a large metal block trying to get through to the other side but can't get past Bastiodon.

Explanation: I gave it the Poké-Body because it generally has a large sheild head, and could protect anything with Metal Energy, and it is like Darkrai Lv. X but for Metal. The attack is to take advantage of the reduced damage done to it with Shield Block. The Weakness is because it is x4 weak to Ground and Fighting, and the Resistance is because it is x.25 resistant to Normal and Flying. The HP and Retreat Cost are because it is slow and big, capable of taking many hits.

Strategy: This card can combo with almost any [M] type, giving them quite a defense. With Blastoise d, it can do Enraged Linear Attack, and be inpenetrable to more attacks so it can do massive damage. Deoxys d defense form could reduce damage with Delta Reduction and further reduce it with [M] Energy, so it is almost invincible. With Aggron MT, it can do 100 and nothing to itself. With Bastiodon MT, it can protect the Bench so that the Active with all of the [M] Energy takes all of the hits. With Dialga Lv X, it can do 80 if you get two heads because your opponent gets no turn.

Last edited:
Juan's Milotic LV. 49 100HP:water:
Stage 1 Pokémon. Evolves from Juan's Feebas

Picture: Juan is giving one of his water shows, his Milotic is center stage. It has risen from the water, the water drops sparkle and glistens on its body. You also see Juan's other pokémon making water arches above Milotic, making a rainbow in the background.

:pbody: Ravishing Beauty
If Juan's Milotic is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if Juan's Milotic is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, put a Beauty Counter on the Attacking Pokémon. Any Pokemon that has any Beauty Counters on it does 20 less damage to all of your Pokémon in play with Juan in its name(before applying Weakness and Resistance).

:water::water::colorless Diva Waterfall 40+
If the defending Pokémon has a Beauty Counter on it, this attack does 40 damage plus 30 damage and the defending pokémon is now paralyzed. Remove 1 Beauty Counter from the defending pokémon.

W::lightning+20
R:
RC::colorless:colorless
Juan is known for putting on fabulous water shows. Milotic is his best and most prized performer, because of its beauty and grace. Challengers of Juan's gym often gets distracted from Milotic's beauty. Juan often takes advantage of this distraction.
Rarity: Rare Holo

Explanation: I made this card to reflct Juan's personality on the anime. (Which is why i used the anime's name)

Stategy: This card would be good for Water decks that need to a desent attacker.

Last edited:
Roark's Rampardos LV 30 130HP :fighting:
Stage 2 - Evolves from Roark's Cranidos
:pbody: Hard Head
If one of your Pokémon in play with Roark in its name is damage by an opponent's attack (even if that Pokémon is Knocked Out), put 2 damage counters on the Attacking Pokémon. Then put 1 damage counter on Roark's Rampardos.
[C][C] Zen Headbutt 30
Your opponent switches the Defending Pokémon with 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon. The new Defending Pokémon is now Confused and can't retreat during your opponent's next turn.
[F][F][F][F] Head Smash 160
Roark's Rampardos does 50 damage to itself.
W - :water:+30
R - :fire:-30
RC - :colorless:colorless
It was the first Pokémon to be revived by Oreburgh City's fossil machine, and is Roark's powerhouse in all of his battles. Its Head Smash is one of the most powerful attacks in existence.
Rare Holo

Picture: Roark's Rampardos is in Oreburgh Gym. Roark is standing in the trainer box, waving his arm over his head, wearing his usual attire. Rampardos is sweeping its tail, knocking a Golem out of the way. Rampardos has its back turned, and is facing towards Golem. Golem is half out of the picture, and it is falling over, glaring at Rampardos. Rampardos has its usual grin that it has on the animé.

Strategy: It strikes back at any attacks, but also takes extra damage. Zen Headbutt is used to force a switch and confuse. Head Smash is a last resort KO that will likely destroy itself. Sadly, the ONLY cards that reduce damage done by your Pokemon are Metal Energy and Drake's Stadium. However, neither of them work, unless you give Rampardos a Crystal Shard. It combos with:
Ariados. You use Zen Headbutt to force them to switch, and Ariados will keep it there. Then you use Head Smash, and it no longer exists.
Machamp. Use your Head Smash to leave yourself wide open, then they KO you. Then Machamp comes in and uses Revenge for 70, which is likely to KO with Hard Head's effect.
Scramble Energy. If you're losing, you can use Head Smash for 2 Energy cards KO.
Vaporeon *. Remove 3 damage counters from all Active Pokemon. Then KO them with Head Smash.
Potion. Remove 2 damage counters. You'll never die. :lol:
Roark's Rampardos. If you get 4 of them out, your opponent will get 8 damage counters for 1 attack.

Explanation: Rampardos are known to have hard heads, so I gave it a Poké-Body for it. It uses Zen Headbutt and Head Smash in the animé, so it uses them here. Zen Headbutt's effect basically knocks away one of your opponent's Pokemon and confuses another. Head Smash is a reackless final blow with an almost guaranteed KO, yet you do 50 damage to yourself, similar to what Head Smash does in the game. Weakness to Water and Resistance to Fire are self-explanatory. I gave it a Retreat Cost of 2 and HP of 130 because it is very similar to MT Rampardos, but slightly different.

Last edited:
This is what the core of your card should look like:

Juan's Milotic LV. 49 100HP :water:
Stage 1 - Evolves from Juan's Feebas
:pbody: Ravishing Beauty
If Juan's Milotic is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent's attack (even if Juan's Milotic is Knocked Out), flip a coin. If heads, put a Beauty Counter on the Attacking Pokémon. Any Pokemon that has any Beauty markers on it does 20 less damage to all of your Pokémon in play with Juan in its name (before applying Weakness and Resistance).
:water::water::colorless Diva Waterfall 40+
If the Defending Pokémon has a Beauty Counter on it, this attack does 40 damage plus 30 more damage and the Defending Pokémon is now Confused. Remove 1 Beauty Counter from the Defending Pokémon.

W::lightning+20
R:
RC::colorless:colorless

Last edited:
Ok, the time I have for the internet is extremely limited. 4 hours a week for this month, as it's the exams month. I'm hoping I can get the best of this 4 hours. anyways, here's my card:

Flannery's Camerupt LV. 45 90HP (R)
Evolves from Flannery's Numel

PokéBody: Igneous Rock
Whenever Flannery's Camerupt gets damaged by an attack from an opponent's Pokémon, you may discard up to 2 (R) Energy cards attached to Flannery's Camerupt. If you do, reduce the damage done to Flannery's Camerupt by 20 for each (R) Energy card discarded

(R) Subduction Zone 20
Does 20+10 damage for each Energy Card in your discard pile. After your attack, you may take a (R) Energy card from your discard pile and attach it to one of your Benched Pokémon.

(R)(R)(C) Lava Plume 50
Count the amount of Energy attached to Flannery's Camerupt and the Defending Pokémon. If the Defending Pokémon has less Energy, it is now Burned.

Weakness: W +20
Resistance: None
Retreat Cost: (C)(C)(C)
Rarity: Rare

Picture: We see a Camerupt standing, in a sort of isometric view, on a sandy arena(Flannery's stadium(. White steam covers the picture, obscuring the rest of the background. Camerupt has its eyes slanted, and it's facing a Pikachu, who is cowering before it.

Explanation: 90HP as Camerupts generally have average HP in both games and cards. A high retreat cost is to mitigate its powerful attacks, as well as it's slow speed in the games. No resistance as (R) Pokemon usually do not have any resistance.

Strategy: I'm going for a tank-ish Camerupt here. Also, its first attack comboes nicely with its Pokébody. Reduce damage done, and then boost your own attack. Can be recycled back with anything that can move (R) energy, probably in the fake set that this card belongs to. xD

Last edited:
My comments:
1. Only 80HP? Usually, there is a ratio of HP and retreat cost. For example, if you look at the Stage 1 starters, they each have 70HP plus 10 for each retreat cost. If you look at Latios and Latias, you'll see the same thing, as with the LV Xs. A [C][C][C] retreat should be backed by 100HP at least.
2. Lava Flow is already the name of Magcargo's most famous attack. They don't often recycle names unless the attack is generaly the same. Also, Burning your Active Pokemon seems pretty bad. A Sceptile has a power that is much better, allowing multiple uses, more variety, and no Burn.
3. Eruption has also already been used as Camerupt ex and Groudon's attack. Taking 3 [R] Energy seems odd. I'd suggest [R][C][C].
4. Flame Charge seems wierd. You discard Energy, and do extra if you're Burned. It could at least remove the Burn. The, whenever you Burn it, you get to automatically remove it.
5. I suggest a resistance to [L].

I figured my card was on the bland side, so I'm revamping it.

My opinions:
1. Nope, pokes that have 80hp can have 2 retreat cost, and pokes that have 90hp can have 3 retreat cost. And Camerupts most commonly have 80HP
For 2-4, I shall take them into consideration.

I just did a Pedia search on all Camerupt. The only Camerupt with 3 Retreat was RubySapphire Fire Spin, and it had 90HP. All other Camerupts either had 80 or 90 HP and a 2 Retreat. Also, DP Pokemon have more HP than they used to. I did a search on all DP fully-evolved Stage 1s, and they usually had about 70-80HP plus 10 HP for each [C] in their retreat cost.

Pokémon errors:
deredd44:
[W][W][C] Diva Waterfall 40+
If the defending Pokémon has a Beauty Counter on it this attack does 40 damage plus 30 damage and the defending pokémon is paralyzed. Remove the Beauty Counter from the defending pokemon.

[C][C] Zen Headbutt 30
Switch the Defending Pokemon with 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon. (Your opponent chooses the Benched Pokémon.) The new Defending Pokémon is now Confused.

There are more, but not on cards.

Whoops! Thanks!

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Ky00ber the III, here are my new suggestions:
1. Reducing by 20 for each Energy seems pretty weak. I suggest making it 30.
2. Why does Subduction Zone only work on the Bench? As far as I know, there are no Pokemon who move [R] Energy in Modified.
3. You forgot that it evolves from Flannery's Numel
4. I still think a resistance to [L] is perfectly justified.
5. You might want to edit your explanation. It still says 80HP.

Other than that, great! I'll PM you about wording your card.

Last edited:
Reserving Candice's Weavile...for now...

-----------------------------------
Candice's Weavile Lv. 38 (W)
90 HP
Stage 1 Pokémon(Evolves from Candice's Sneasel)

PokéPower: Dark Pressure

When your opponent's Active Pokémon attacks, it pays (*) more to attack for each (D) energy card attached to Candice's Weavile. You may not add more than (**) to an attack using this Power and you may not use more than one Dark Pressure per turn. This Power stops working if Candice's Weavile is affected by a Special Condition.

(W): Black Ice (20+)

Does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each (D) Energy attached to Weavile but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 40 damage in this way.

(WD*): Dual Blizzard (50+)

This attack does 50 damage plus 10 damage for each of your evolved Pokémon with two types and Candice's pokemon in play that evolves from a pokemon of a different type.

Weakness: (R) +30
Resistance: (P) -30
Retreat: *
Rarity: HR

Flavor: Weavile's have always defended the rights of dualistic Pokemon. Candice just provides the forum to exhibit their excellence.

Picture: The icy floor of the Gym is slanted upward at a 15 degree angle. Weavile is zooming toward the top of the frame, busting through a large block of ice placed in the bottom right-hand corner of the frame. The ice shards follow Weavile as far as the center of the frame where they dissapait off into a flistening snow that dances around Weavile's body. Weavile's claws are extended but thrust to his side (he is seen in profile) because he is moving so quickly. Abomasnow and Medicham can be barely seen in the upper right-hand corner,standing on a balcony on the second floor of the Gym. Their image is blurred, but it can be inferred that they are cheering Weavile on to victory.
-----------------------------------

Explanation for Attacks:

Weavile definitely has a "Darkness Matters" theme going on, even though he is a (W) type pokemon. This card was made with the basis that a Weavile of this stature would only have around 80 HP and, thorugh being a Gym Leader's Pokemon, have the extra +10 HP. The Weakness shown is based off of his Ice Ty[e and resistance from his Dark type.

The PokePower is an extension of the PP-draining effect he has in the video game and his first attack harkens back to the (Darkness Matters" theme. Also of note is teh "Darkness matters" subtle statement in Weaviles second attack. If it were not for the (D) Candice's Sneasel, his attack would rely on other pokemon only. Instead, the card almost forces you to play the (D) type over the (W) type to get the instant stat boost.

Explanation of Flavor:

I really wanted to go with 80 HP and, if this had been three years ago, I could have. But now, the power level of the game is too high to make a competitive 80 HP card with two colored attacks.

The PokePower is, again, based of his natural ability in battle and only gets stronger with each (D) energy. I had to cap it because, as a dual type, it could only be so dark before it affected to much of his Icy qualities.

His first attack is based on his inner-darkness contained through teh evolution to a higher stage and, because Candice is the dual-type master, I added a dual-type matters sub-theme that would run through all her cards to this cards major attack. My thought for this card doesn't end with this card. Each trainer for the set would have some sort of theme running through all their cards (just like the old Gym series). Candice's overarching theme is Dual-Type matters . Her sub-theme is pumping through off-color costs and slowing the opponent down through a new effect called "Freeze" (not featured on this card because it jsut didn't fit). I would have included this new effect on the card, but Weavile's Dark side needed to be expressed (off-color pumps) more than the other subtheme.

The retreat is so low because Weavile is a naturally fast pokemon and should be able to move thusly.

Combos:

ANY dual-type pokemon (Medicham, Delta) esp. Dark Electrode.
Other Candice's Pokemon.
Others to be listed later.
DP 3 Weavile

Last edited:
You would still need to edit the text like I did, and simply replace Confused with Paralyzed.

I added the Weakness/Resistance to the Ravishing Beauty. This is very important to add!!!

Cardzmaster2004:
1. Why is Dark Pressure a Poké-Power? That is the kind of thing that would be a Poké-Body.
2. Dark Pressure seems a bit broken. If you manage to quickly get 3 Dark Energy onto Weavile, then your opponent basically can't attack you for another three turns, which is... very, very broken. You attach, they attach. Your Energy cancels theirs out. Their Energy doesn't cancel yours out. BROKEN.
3. When using Black Ice, wouldn't using a Multi Energy be too good? You would do 40 damage. And 100 damage for 5 Energy? That's something worthy of a Stage 1 or Stage 2 ex.

There's more, but I have to go.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I'm back.

4. What's with the second attack?
This attack does 50 damage plus 20 damage for each of your evolved dual-type Pokemon and Candice's pokemon in play that evolves from a pokemon of a different type.
What makes Weavile a defender of dual-types? It doesn't make very much sense. If you say that its because Candice only uses dual-types, well, same with Bryon, Winona, Tate & Liza, Falkner, Morty, Jasmine, and Brock. It doesn't mean that much. The attack is... extremely wierd, to say the least.
5. So, Candice's Weaville is a Secret Rare? No, its uncommon. Nah, its an overprinted common that you are guaranteed five in every pack. Right?
6. There is no number six. Everything else looks good from here. Especially the picture.

Last edited:
Cardzmaster2004:
1. Why is Dark Pressure a Poké-Power? That is the kind of thing that would be a Poké-Body.

Its a power because a pokemon can't very well pressure you while its snoring or can't move from paralysis. it jsut amde sense to me and makes it less powerful if it can be shut off in some way.
2. Dark Pressure seems a bit broken. If you manage to quickly get 3 Dark Energy onto Weavile, then your opponent basically can't attack you for another three turns, which is... very, very broken. You attach, they attach. Your Energy cancels theirs out. Their Energy doesn't cancel yours out. BROKEN.

I was considering limiting the Power, but I decided to jsut put up the raw version and see where it went. I've now put restrictions on the card.

3. When using Black Ice, wouldn't using a Multi Energy be too good? You would do 40 damage. And 100 damage for 5 Energy? That's something worthy of a Stage 1 or Stage 2 ex.

I've also capped that attack at 100, which I think is fair enough. It takes 4 energy to get to that level and, frankly, you're more likely to be using the second attack anyway.

4. What's with the second attack?
This attack does 50 damage plus 20 damage for each of your evolved dual-type Pokemon and Candice's pokemon in play that evolves from a pokemon of a different type.

What makes Weavile a defender of dual-types? It doesn't make very much sense. If you say that its because Candice only uses dual-types, well, same with Bryon, Winona, Tate & Liza, Falkner, Morty, Jasmine, and Brock. It doesn't mean that much. The attack is... extremely wierd, to say the least.

I've arbitrarily decided to give candice's pokemon that theme within this set. This is not to say that otehr Gym Leaders don't or couldn't dabble in this effect either; however, after observing the rest of the Gym Leadering in Sinnoh, I felt the dual-type defending best went with Candice. So I ran with it on this card. Those references stay, as it provides a view into the rest of the set that wouldn't normally be seen in just one card. Just becaus we're only making one card doesn't mean that the set has to stop there.

5. So, Candice's Weaville is a Secret Rare? No, its uncommon. Nah, its an overprinted common that you are guaranteed five in every pack. Right?

You son of a....fixed.

6. There is no number six. Everything else looks good from here. Especially the picture.

:biggrin:

Obviously, you don't know the difference between a Power and a Body. A Power is something you use, and you have a choice, such as drawing, moving Energy, and evolution/Benched powers. A Body is something that is always used, whether you want it or not, and has effects such as invincibility to something, damage reduction, increased damage, removing damage counters, and increasing the opponent's Retreat Cost.

I will now attempt to reword your BODY and attacks.

PokéBody: Dark Pressure

As long as Candice's Weavile is your Active Pokémon, the attack cost for each of your opponent's Pokémon's attacks is * more for each (D) Energy card attached to Candice's Weavile. You can't add more than ** in this way. This Poké-Body stops working if Candice's Weavile is Asleep, Confused, or Paralyzed.

(W): Black Ice (20+)

Does 20 damage plus 20 more damage for each (D) Energy attached to Weavile but not used to pay for this attack's Energy cost. You can't add more than 80 damage in this way.

Does 50 damage plus 20 damage for each of your Pokémon in play that either has two types or has Candice in their name and a Pokémon under it of a different type.

Dual Blizzard is still wierd, especially when this Weavile card itself isn't a Dual Type.

Back