Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The deck(s) that won Worlds discussion....

Status
Not open for further replies.

soslowpoke

Wow...never saw that comin' (Magma's Groudon and Claydol)

Okay so this is the deck all these Japanese chill'uns were playing this weekend. Anyone have any comments on it? I don't have a decklist as of yet, but basically the concept of the deck is Team Magma's Groudon. Simple Groudon with 110 HP. BUT YOU JUST CANT KILL IT! Apparently it just keeps dealing out 70 and then gets retreated and healed: lather, rinse, repeat.

The Claydols move the energy back and forth between teh Groudons.

What's kinda interesting is that the Japanese are playing with cards from SETS ago over there and while all we're (rest of the world) doing is trying to come up with something to counter the newest deck, or use a deck to utilise the newest cards. I think after this kick in the face we'll be seeing some decks using 'older cards' more and more.

Anyone else have any feedback/reactions to this?

soslowpoke said:
Okay so this is the deck all these Japanese chill'uns were playing this weekend. Anyone have any comments on it? I don't have a decklist as of yet, but basically the concept of the deck is Team Magma's Groudon. Simple Groudon with 110 HP. BUT YOU JUST CANT KILL IT! Apparently it just keeps dealing out 70 and then gets retreated and healed: lather, rinse, repeat.

The Claydols move the energy back and forth between teh Groudons.

What's kinda interesting is that the Japanese are playing with cards from SETS ago over there and while all we're (rest of the world) doing is trying to come up with something to counter the newest deck, or use a deck to utilise the newest cards. I think after this kick in the face we'll be seeing some decks using 'older cards' more and more.

Anyone else have any feedback/reactions to this?

PsychoDad's AQUA deck does something very similar. It too is very resiliant with BBP, does 50/70 damage with status effects in abundance.

i may be wrong but i think groudon has 100 hp...

just got back from worlds.....

the magma deck is pretty good.....

i didn't see any of the japanese players who weren't playing it.....

if i remember right my son played against it twice and won both times....

i don't have a deck list but it uses
the magma claydol to move energy
camelrupt to gain extra energy
groudon the main attacker...
several of the decks i saw were using zangoose....
it runs 4 magma energy along with 4 dark....
also lots of the magma trainer cards...maxie etc.
with brineys and reversals it is very difficult on shiftry...dunsparce...delcatty
furret and other fighting pokemon....

newman made a copy and did very well with it...

my son was playing blaziken and would pick off the claydols and then go
after the groudons....

it was very strong against most american metagame decks....
against blaziken its almost a coin toss....

it'll be interesting to see if it remains as dominating after everyone takes
a close look at it.....

but at the moment it is definitely king of the mountain....

Is there a Japanese equivalent of the PokeGym!? It would be good if we could get an idea of what's coming before we go running into the stadium with just our loin cloth and a stick to fight the lion.

Last edited:
This deck was nasty. I will say that Chris Fulop`s Blaze deck with the Bellossom Tech smacked it really good most of the time(I judged some of his games in the Top "x"). He finally lost in the final when he had a crappy draw in the second game (not sure of his first but it didn`t last too long). His two prior opponents before the finals were Japanese players as well with this deck and his deck did really great against it.

With that said, Chris, the Japanese players, and all the players that made it far did great jobs. When you have two good players with two good decks, one must lose. :)

`Sensei

although I do think that they were good decks, I do not think that they really deserved the Worlds title
I think they were more lucky than good

I still don't see how they got through all the Blaze when I never saw a Blaze lose to one other than Fulop's
all you have to do is Ash their Camerupt/Claydol and they are screwed beyond losing

oh well, I must give them their congrats

I feel that is one of alot of people's weaknesses. They simply bleieve that certain decks will be the only decks they face, even at a huge event like Worlds. I could have guessed that a Magma deck would make an appearence. In North Carolina's SC, a Magma deck took 3rd place in the 15+, and the same deck took 2nd place in South Carolina's SC. I wouldn't put it past the deck while in very skilled players hands to take Worlds with it.

I feel that if the japanese had not been playing Magma decks, not many people in America would have given it a chance. And I feel that is our greatest weakness. I feel that we are too addicted to "big damage". Decks like blaziken/rayquaza/gardevior/etc, that can deal big amounts of damage are played in majority here. I feel that the japanese look at the game away from big damage and look for strategies. Hopefully we can all try to do the same.

Whicker, lucky? the guy that won actually won japanese nationals undefeated I think AND Worlds undefeated, that's OBV not lucky =/.

What I think happened is like, they're 2 sets ahead of use, and whilst we were trying to figure out the whole metagame after HL was released wheere way too many different decks popped up out of no where, they had already been past the stage of HL changing the metagame and already figured out the metagame and what countered that post HL metagame, so it's not that we don't give decks a chance, I had already seen people try a few Magma decks which I took for granted, but since they were 2 sets ahead in cards, they were also in metagame knowledge, and thats what hit us so hard and the sets have to even up before the next Worlds cause IMO we did have a little disadvantage.

I agree with Mudkip totally. I felt at the beginning of the year that we would be even, set-wise, with the japanese. But I guess I was wrong.

That's a good point Prime, I think they are just very smart players. They are very smart about their strategies and play/practice a lot. I think why the Team Magma decks were so good is because the Pokemon in that expansion worked really well together and also the trainers cards made those decks really fast and you got what you needed pretty much all the time. Conspirator, schemer, and magma ball are all really fast trainers to get the cards you need, not to mention if you lose a Pokemon you needed there was always Maxie. (even better is to Scemer your Groudon or whatever and Maxie it) People are too focused on "big damage"/OHKO.

The Team Magma deck was definately underrated, and underestimated. They won, and definately with skill.

I would say this to what happened at Worlds. The U.S. put out it's best deck, Blaziken to face off at Worlds. It was led by Chris Fulop and many others. There was some doubt of Blaziken being weakened but we were wrong. Let us be proud of Blaziken for it almost ruled the World! O_O

The problem is the deck is more consistant than any of the US archetypes including blaze. Heck the main attacker is a basic and the mechanics are provided by 2 1 stage pokes. It takes less cards to set up. It carries 4 types! And yes, they also play blaze with some wierd combos like slaking but their nats was won with magma. Most played 4 magma nrg although the fella I played 4 times (runner up @ Japans'Nats) showed only 3. He might have had 4. The difference between aqua and magma is magma does more damage, magma can move darks, they can retireve nrg ffrom the discard, and zangoose>than aqua seviper. Still aqua can move multiple nrg with 1 poke on the bench, double attach, and has status. It's a good magma counter.

Last edited:
no, the reason the Japanese won is because they are ******* stackers, and stage 1s are easy to stack. blaze > magma. also their stupid coins are always heads, so they play a ton of reversals and they always work.

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonthePwnda said:
no, the reason the JPN won is because they are ******* stackers, and stage 1s are easy to stack. blaze > magma. also their stupid coins are always heads, so they play a ton of reversals and they always work.

Dudeman, come on. I've heard this same thing from a lot of people and tried to be sympathetic or whatever and be indifferent, but now I'm just plain ticked. They won, we lost. IT'S OVER, GET A GRIP ON YOURSELVES. I wasn't at Worlds, so I didn't see anything, but if there was so much cheating going on, why didn't the judges see it? Your next excuse will probably be that the judges were baised.

Now I did hear some stories from a few friends of mine (trustworthy friends, who had witnesses to their predicaments) about judges doing some outrageous things, but I think if you think about it, maybe the end result would have been the same? I mean these were things like stalling, but never rigging the deck. How could judges see that? Your answer: they can't. Well then if you can't do anything about it, and the judges can't do anything about it, then quit whining, because you can't do a gosh darned thing.

And you know what? That frikkin' sucks, but we can't stop it. Case closed. Regardless of whether they stack decks or not, Japs are great Pokemon players. They certainly deserve our respect, no matter whether they cheated or not. Even if they did rig their decks, they certainly knew how to put their deck plan into action and defeat the USA.

I'm going to remain indifferent to this whole mess until I get some SOLID PROOF that any cheating actually happened. And guess what. That'll be NEVER. So I'm remaining indifferent. You should to, especially if you weren't there, because then emotion doesn't get in the way. You should be proud that you made it to the World Championships at all and got a chance to compete. That alone means you're at some level of skill. If you think the Japenese cheated, keep telling yourself that you'll walk away from this game with more than they ever can. This may or may not be true. But if it shuts you up, then you better sure as heck do it. =/

~Wooper

Last edited by a moderator:
And if you let your opponent shuffle and cut like you are suppose to do how can they "weave" their decks?

C'mon Jason--that's not cool. I saw none of that. They simply beat us fair-and-square. Yes, they also have two sets beyond us, but we have also had the TA/TM set a while and we have no excuses. It was a pleasure to see Chris Fulop beat them down all the way to the final match and Swanton1717 beat many of them as well. I've got the pride of the USA and I feel it stinks that Japan came and took it all on our turf, but that's the way it went--and fairly so.

I do feel that we should be on the same line with Japanese releases ensuring equal ground for future Worlds, because it does give them a form of advantage, but that's no excuse to simply convict them or judges for cheating =/

(y4

Last edited:
Once again I am seeing a lot of offensive language slang terms flying and why? Because the Japanese players came and beat the world. Well done to them and if it makes the L33t fools stop think and play something different then maybe they did us all a favour..

Originally Posted by JasonthePwnda
no, the reason the japs won is because they are ******* stackers, and stage 1s are easy to stack. blaze > magma. also their stupid coins are always heads, so they play a ton of reversals and they always work.
I have seen many l33ts stack their decks too, shuffle it afterwards if you think it isn't random and all they can do is cut it after that. Truth is they won because they caught most napping and they maybe got a lucky break as well that is the nature of the game.

Instead of celebrating their win and congratulating them on their outstanding deck building and skilled play we get all the rubbish being spouted :(

How about someone posting the deck as opposed to insulting the world champions.

most of us cut the opponent's deck, but they stack their deck repeatedly in the deck so even if you cut, they still get awesome hands.

and also, i did see a couple japanese players moving their cards in their deck to order it around while trading with some...

I'm curious to know what players from Hong Kong play because I believe they have access to both Japanese and English cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back