Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

The problem with Pidgeot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozartrules

I just returned from the City Championship in Brooklyn (went 4-2, played badly).

My deck was Dark Steelix/Pidgeot, a decent deck. Pidgeot was used in a number of other decks because it is good (but - in my opinion - not broken). The problem is that games involving Pidgeot becomes really slow!!

There were a lot of games that didn't finish in 30 minutes and in one of my games (against a Monarchy deck with Pidgeot) only a single prize was taken in 30 minutes and both players played reasonably fast. The simple act of searching for a card and shuffling your deck can hardly be done in less that 30 seconds, so this adds 1 minute to every turn when both players play Pidgeot. We are going to see a lot of unfinished games in the coming months and deciding games on prizes (or worse, sudden death) is not very satisfying.

I am not happy about banning Pidgeot at this time. Can anything else be done to combat this problem?

I haven't yet experienced this problem
and I've plenty of games in which both players have played Pidgeot

In the old days, searching for cards left and right didn't lead to games going past time... I think it has more to do with the players then the cards.

well don play pidgeot :)

but the fact is tat both of u are playing it,so both of u cause the match to drag too long

When I play Pidgeot with grass decks my games go really slow.. but other types it doesnt seem to. Weird eh?

Ya i took mine out. Cause i was only getting it every game at 6-10 turn and by then it was unuseful.
I mean its only useful by turn 2-3, 4 tops. So i took it out and added more good stuff. Like Supporters,Energys. More drawing stuff then 1 card. :p

Guys this is a discussion about should pidgeot get banned not why you use pidgoet or what it is good with...I agree with Mozart... Too Many Decks Are Build Around This Card... 80% are build with this card... Remember when sneasel and slowking were banned?? It was b/c too many decks were build around them.... this is the same thing... If too many decks are build around one card what is the point of batting if everyone is going to do the same thing???
Drew

Edit: We Could Errated It to say If you used Quick Search Last Turn You Can Not Use This Ability Next Turn...
Drew

Last edited:
This is stupid. Sorry. Pidgeot only slows down the game if the player allows it to. Too over-used like sneasel/slowking? Try dunsparce, steven's advice, rare candy. All those are over-used like sneasel/slowking. Sneasel/slowking was looked bad at, but not because they were used too much, heck they are still used too much in unlimited. They were frowned upon because they were easily over-powered. A monkey could run a sneasel/slowking deck, and so many did because it offered the easy win. The metagame was flooded with them, and many players were turned off by them.

Last edited:
Wait a minute....Bann Pidgeot?WHy the heck do you think they made pidgeot..They knew it would be in EVERY deck....That way they made more money..they made a card ppl would go crazy trying to find...They arent going to ban it....It isnt as broken as eveyrone thinks..No need to ban any card...

ban pidgeot? why cos alot of ppl use them to waste time,oh come on gimme a break.in the end a sudden death will end the game faster

TheDarkTwins said:
Guys this is a discussion about should pidgeot get banned not why you use pidgoet or what it is good with...I agree with Mozart... Too Many Decks Are Build Around This Card... 80% are build with this card... Remember when sneasel and slowking were banned?? It was b/c too many decks were build around them.... this is the same thing... If too many decks are build around one card what is the point of batting if everyone is going to do the same thing???
Drew

Edit: We Could Errated It to say If you used Quick Search Last Turn You Can Not Use This Ability Next Turn...
Drew

this is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read, Snasel and Slowking were banned form the Neo-on modified format because if you didn't play the card (specially Slowking) you didn't stand a chance to win, or you had to tech heavily against it and take some auto-losses vs other stuff. You can't ban a card that can be used in every deck, but doesn't give YOU advantage AND the opponent disadvantage (like Slowking), it only gives YOU advantage.

And about the bold part, Blaziken had a MUCH bigger impact for 3-6 months AT LEAST (and it continues to) and it never got banned, just some cards that beat it were released and problem solved, and Pokemon is at it's biggest hype in years, and Blaziken didn't scare people away, how can a card that gives the opponent 1 card (not crazy denial or crazy OHKO potential like Sneasel so fast) be banned?

Prime said:
That wasn't the reason sneasel/slowking was banned...because they were never banned -_-'. The only cards banned were Happy Birthday Pikachu, and Ancient Mew. Sneasel/slowking was looked bad at, but not because they were used too much, heck they are still used too much in unlimited.

YES THEY WERE BANNED!!! wow you keept complaining about the game a year ago, yet you barely know anything about it, those cards were banned from Neo-on format, Sneasel before Worlds and Slowking AFTER Worlds. =/ =/ =/ Get your facts straight before you talk.

Prime said:
They were never banned at any time, from sanctioned play. Maybe the league in your area banned them, but WotC never issued a ban nor did Nintendo.

Read above, YES they did.

n00bs.

Mudkip: Lamer, get off my case. So I mistook what happened, get over it.

I don't remeber a game going over time limit at Citys if even anyone played it. Usually the case is to make a match go long is:

Attack
Take Damage
Retreat
Heal
Come Back Up
Attack
Repeat

And the match goes on so long. Pidgeot helps a bit but other stuff must have contributed. May I get an example of one your matches in which this happened, mozartrules?

Blaziken98 said:
Pidgot is awsome the only reason Mozartrulez did bad was because Dark Steelix sucks and is to slow.
I am not saying that Pidgeot is bad (in my deck or any other deck) or even that Pidgeot should be banned. I was raising a discussion point about the impact Pidgeot has on the time it takes to finish matches.

Your comment about Dark Steelix just shows ignorance (apart from being completely off topic), it is highly unlikely that your comment is based on experience from playing a large number of games with Dark Steelix. I did reasonable (4-2), but my losses had nothing to do with playing Dark Steelix (one loss was caused by my bad play, the other by an energy drought that can happen to any deck).

I can see your point here - playing Pidgeot makes it much easier for players to stall (especially knowing they can go to sudden death), it's basically adding 15-30 seconds to your turn, every turn if you want to play slowly on purpose. But there's nothing that can really be done about it, except hope that judges will be vigilant against stalling tactics...which are difficult to prove anyway (unless it's something extreme like taking 30 seconds when there are only 5 cards in deck).

If people are playing at normal speed then it doesn't make a difference, most of the time people using the power know exactly what they are looking for and can pull it out within 5 seconds =/

IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE PLAYERS!!!

pure and simple...... in my stoise deck, pidgeot is in there, but it only adds about 10 seconds........ 3 to get the card, and 7 to shuffle and cut.....

the only time that i take longer is when the card i want is in my prizes...

BANNING pidgeot would be one of the dumbest things that i've ever seen.......... if they do that, how about banning any card that allows you to search your deck then shuffle like: celio's, rocket's pokeball, great ball, conspirators, etc.... get my point?

oh and pablo, they never did ban slowking/sneasel in the unlimited format! rofl :p

OMG!!! BANNING PIDGOT BECAUSE IT TAKES 3 EXTRA SECOUNDS TO SEARCH FOR A CARD THAT IS RETARTED if the start searching for 5 mins or more every turn then they can ban it all I know is I take a look at what is in my hand search my deck grab what I need and I play it. END OF STORY

This is also why you do what you can to accelerate other aspects of the game. For instance (this obviously wouldn't work with Pidgeot) but say someone was going to use Linoone's Seek Out, the next player may as well start with his or her turn, since what the other playing is doing at that moment won't have any effect on his opponent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back