Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What do you believe is themost under rated card in TCG history?

jigglejuice

As a new player to the game I don't really have enough experience to honestly contribute to the question, but I would be interested in your answers. For the sake of at least attempting here is a card I think is under rated :

http://pokegym.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=51809&c=261

Sawsbuck from the black and white base set. It's nature power attack is pretty sweet in a pure grass deck. For absolute minimum energy commitment he is powered up by you just stocking energies on your bench like usual. I love playing him in just the right moment.

So what is a card you believe is tragically under used? Doesn't have to be from the current format. Just any point and time in the game's history. Let's give some under dogs the spotlight :D

I think it's sharpedo fro triumphant. Dear god that card is awesome. It works well with t-tar prime
Posted with Mobile style...

Gambler, I think. "Normal" Trainer that let you shuffle your hand away. Then you flip a coin. If "heads", draw eight. If "tails" draw one. All about leveraging the risk and for a while was the only shuffle and draw Trainer. I loved it, but I tended to get the result I needed (I'd use it to avoiding decking out sometimes besides using it for draw power). What was crazy was when I'd be trying to draw, shuffle a hand away, then topdeck either exactly what I needed or an Oak. XD

Wow hard to believe that Sharpedo wasn't used a ton. That thing seems pretty useful. A very good card for a disruption deck.

Didn't someone do well at US Nats with it?

Really though it's too unreliable. If you pull off the attack T2, you pretty much win. If you don't, you've just wasted a turn, and that can cost you the game.

It might see some play when we get Fliptini.

My underrated card would be Warp Point. Yeah, it was played a fair bit . . . but it was often the card that got cut for techs etc.

People probably appreciate it more since Catcher was released ;)

My personal favorite for this topic is Lass from Base Set 1.

People used it in combos but it was just as devastating when you learned how to use it and when was the right time. No combo needed with this card to immediately infuriate your opponent.

No better feeling than to lass and see they had a professor oak and computer search ready to go after your turn.

Venusaur Base Set

In fact, any grass Pokemon with Energy Transfer. I used Base Set Venusaur and later on, Sceptile, because of this amazing power along with healing trainers (Pokemon Center/Nurse).

People used it in combos but it was just as devastating when you learned how to use it and when was the right time. No combo needed with this card to immediately infuriate your opponent.

No better feeling than to lass and see they had a professor oak and computer search ready to go after your turn.

I remember people running 4 per deck at one point.

Nobody even thought Gyarados SF was good until the French got Top 8 worlds in 2009 then it was top tier until it got rotated. Ridiculous.

Venusaur Base Set

In fact, any grass Pokemon with Energy Transfer. I used Base Set Venusaur and later on, Sceptile, because of this amazing power along with healing trainers (Pokemon Center/Nurse).

Well, it was a solid card for the Game Boy game, but I think that's because the CPU was never smart enough to S/ER or GoW the right cards. If we just had one decent Grass Energy acceleration card to do with it before the format was being dominated by something obscene, it could have its day in the sun.

Gambler, I think. "Normal" Trainer that let you shuffle your hand away. Then you flip a coin. If "heads", draw eight. If "tails" draw one. All about leveraging the risk and for a while was the only shuffle and draw Trainer. I loved it, but I tended to get the result I needed (I'd use it to avoiding decking out sometimes besides using it for draw power). What was crazy was when I'd be trying to draw, shuffle a hand away, then topdeck either exactly what I needed or an Oak. XD

I agree here, looking back on many STS lists, it's not there and I wonder why. It's a nice card to topdeck after being trapped too, 'cause you either get 8 or the card you would have drawn. And there was no way to recover DCE in the early game, so oaking with a hand full of say DCE and Wigglytuff you couldn't play at that time was destructive.

This big boy. Great general counter for many cards in things like Metanite or Infernape.
Best answer to Blissey ever conceived. In the time when Blissey ruled the game, this won me every mirror.

I don't think either of these were ever underrated. Blissey had Holon FF to fight back with. Both were very potent techs though, I remember seeing them discussed a lot.

Gust of freakin' win.

Never been underrated?

I don't think it was an underrated card either.

Well, it was a solid card for the Game Boy game, but I think that's because the CPU was never smart enough to S/ER or GoW the right cards. If we just had one decent Grass Energy acceleration card to do with it before the format was being dominated by something obscene, it could have its day in the sun.

Yeh, I've always thought Venusaur had it tough. Looks good, but just can't work efficiently :( My personal choice would be a Bulbasaur that could search the deck and attach a grass energy to itself like the Promo Pikachu. There was S/ER to prevent that being broken, it would just make the game more interesting.

My choice for the delta era is: Arbok. It KOs Metagross even with Metal energy and gives all sorts of delta pokemon that were played at the time trouble. Raichu is KOd even with a metal, as is Exeggutor and you could just put a scramble on it to get the effect. 80 means you can take down any of those stage two exs in two attacks. Do the math on the card, it worked great. They need rare candies, basic, stage 2, three separate energy drops (no scramble/dce for exs) for their e.g. Flygon ex delta, you take it down with a stage 1 and one energy after losing the castform start. I used Arbok to good effect with the other underrate Togetic delta. Togetic can copy spreading attacks, and is such a good scapegoat to activate scramble with due to low HP and very efficent damage output for energy. It does neat things Raichu couldn't, like no discard required and no weakness to Eggs.

My choice for the original base/jungle/fossil: Ponyta. Comes out of nowhere to deal 40 to Scyther, or open with it. As many players would open with a Scyther, it's a fast threat. No use them using swords dance, as you can take it down next turn. Gust out a Scyther with 30 damage at the end to take the game, no use in between those points, but I'm suprised I haven't heard about it anywhere. That or Rocket Machop.

Ponyta/Rapidash suffer because whenever they are good, everything else is always better!

Ponyta could punish Scyther (something the CPU on the Game Boy game does understand) but in turn it was so small that other decks could punish it too effectively. Slipping a single copy wasn't good because it could open. Still since this is about "underrated" and not good, you still may have a point.

scott gerdhart popularlized ponyta in his potpourri deck when those cards were still popular. I dunno if it's fair to say it was underrated, but it was a big deal to deal 40 to one of the most played pokemon with a dce.

Back