Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's wrong with you Pokegym members?

afstandopleren

Okay, I've been watching the RTC for some time now, and I have to conlcude that there are a lot of wannabe adults on Pokegym. I'm not talking about kids and teens, but real adults. This I find to be disturbing as there generally is no place for a good discussion in the RTC as they strangely turn into flame wars or targets for trolls. Several good threads with potential have died in this way, ToxicTaipan's Common Sense Thread being a painful example as the thread managed to get killed within 4 pages of it's existence due to unaccepted disagreements and more.

Now the reason I post this is because recently a thread got killed that should not have even be able to get killed, but hey, "successful trolls are successful" if you allow them, even with the 'strickt' rules. I either suggest to harshen the rules, or remove the RTC as there is no real good discusion possible., which again, is strange. There are a lot of 'adults' on this site. Y'know, the type that is generally older then 18. The strange thing is, most of those 18+ people DON'T SEEM TO BE ABLE TO BEHAVE.

Now look at Pokebeach. Sure, there are a lot of young people and Pokebeach has it's own set of problems, but when you go to their RTC, you will find threads on Abortion, Politics and what not, ALL BEING DISCUSSED without the heat that Pokegym members seem to have. Which again, is strange as KIDS AND TEENS ACT MORE LIKE ADULTS ON ADULT SUBJECTS THEN REAL ADULTS ON POKEGYM. I mean, there is a thread on weather the year 2012 is really all what it's cracked up to be and it's been active for almost 2 whole months without actual trolling and flaming! Sure the discussion has cooled down but people didn't kill it off because they think it's nonsense for example.

Now after reading this, don't tell me that there has been an alarm going of in your head of how people act on this forum, giving Pokegym a rather bad name to those that are paying attention. So either keep your mouth shut or behave yourself when posting things and actually take things to heart for a change.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, IMHO, arguments that turn to flame-wars often result from the desire of either or both parties involved in the argument to prove something. More often than not, annoyance and anger due to someone bashing what just you wrote brings about more annoyance by attempting to reply with a hot head (which can sometimes manifest in what you write, whether intentionally or not).

Maybe one way to prevent this is to ignore it. Really, just ignore the bashing or the harsh comments. But not ignoring to the point that you just let them be. What I mean to say is, read clearly what the the other person wrote about what you posted (because usually, harsh, inappropriate comments or remarks that are uncalled for are directed more to the repliers to the post than to the actual OP). Then look away from the PC for a few seconds. Take a deep breath. Then reply along the lines of "I find that your comment has come to me as rude. Although I understand that we are both entitled to have comments in this thread, I think it would be more advantageous to focus your comments on what actually is being discussed in the thread. I will not reply anymore to your comments as I don't want this thread to be locked due to a flame-war...", something like that.

In addition, I think it is also the responsibility of the OP, much more so than the Mods, to direct the flow of the discussion, which will be highly beneficial to prevent the stagnation of the thread, as well as the occurrence of the thread being reduced to an exchange of harsh and rude remarks. Even a comment from the OP like "@all: Great responses. Thanks for reading and I hope that we will be able to make a more in-depth discussion of the topic etc etc". is nice to see every now and then. Although obviously, it's still not good to spam in an attempt to initiate the discussion.

I'm really not sure how to respond to the above posts. This thread/topic could easily create one of the above said flame wars :confused:
I fail to see how this thread could possibly help solve the problems there are. Yeah, there are problems, but there are flaws in every good thing. Yes, it would be nice if everyone was a little bit nicer, but that's life.:pokeball:

I know it's prone to flames and stuff, but people don't seem to know what they are doing to threads so I with this topic so I hope to get my point across as it's really sad that some things can't be discussed anymore like real, decent adults, here in the RTC.

I don't think this site is geared only toward "real, decent adults" so the discussions I'm sure need to stay PG. So if you're "flame wars" and Abortion talks aren't PG enough, they get locked. You being an adult who is complaining and whining about other adults....well, doesn't make this thread very useful.

Not to be a ball buster or anything ,but I find this thread ironic, because I am betting that arguments and flames will cause this thread to be locked.

A lot of the people here that do argue are the ones that will not argue to your face. Having a computer screen between them is a not so scary way to get an argument across.

All I can say is, does it really matter? This is the internet, nothing's gonna get accomplished. Ignore the trolls, bait em if you want to, does it really matter? I'm not about to let some troll ruin my day, don't get why people get uptight about it.

agreed.
people say whatever they want on the internet, because they know that nothing bad can happen to them.

often times they stay behind there little computer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, saying whatever they want, insulting people, and argue with people they think are wrong and trying to convince everyone that there right. And if they succeed they feel intelligent.

But ill tell you this, if i ever met any one of the people who insulted me on anyone of these forums and they said the same thing they do to me on the forums to my face, the only thing they will be getting is a black eye, or worse..

however i hardly doubt that will ever be the case. i believe those kind of people are to scared to come out of there shell in real life.

Perhaps I'm just easily amused, but I find the community's new attitude hilarious. It's like when the ugly girl falls into a vat of butter: you know you shouldn't laugh, but God, that's funny.

(As you can probably tell, I don't really care about this site at all anymore, I just come here for the laughs)

I'm too scared to make posts.

I get infractions every other day.

Pokegym moderators are really good.

Haha anything I say to anyone on this site & any other site I will tell them to their face, and whatever consequences pop up, I'm always down for. This "hide behind the computer" philosophy doesn't apply to everyone.

I'm sure one acts differently to the computer than to actual people in front of them. I consider myself a nice person (like Chansey!), but on the internet of there is something I completely disagree with I will insult that person. If talking to an actual person, I will not be as rude. The computer sparks the evil within me. :)

I am a nice person on the Gym and out of the Gym. I have been very fortunete to meet nice, good people from the Gym in real life. If you flame me on here though, I will flame you back. I am not afraid of any one and I will speak my mind. If any crazy Gym member wants to try me in real life, they better be ready to bring it because I will beat the stuff out of them. With that said. Please be nice to people on here. If you do, they will be nice to you also.

I am just going to say this. I am not apologetic for anything that I said in the previous thread, but I hold no ill will nor grudge against anyone involved now or then regardless of what they may think of me. Additionally, I do not feel I was being insulting to anyone other than perhaps vaporeon and the guy who insulted Tennessee (I did accuse him of being illiterate; not for insulting Tennessee, but for thinking I was from Tennessee).

This "hide behind the computer" philosophy doesn't apply to everyone.

Thank you, General! Someone else agrees that the 'hidden behind the screen' factor isn't always in effect.

I state what I believe to be the truth, regardless of where I am. You can ask anyone I know of this (Keith, tyranitarpownzor's owner, and many others at League), and they will tell you that this is true. I am certifiably insane, but brutally honest, regardless of where I am or what I'm doing. :lol:

Back