Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why do we NOT have a TCG Videogame like Yugio?

Rogue Archetype

Moderator <br> Contest Host
Hey guys.

RANDOM thought... for you random topic readers.

During the carride to and from Nats, Johnny (TimeForPain #1 in VA .. woot!) played a Trading Card game on his DS. It was a Yugio game that was EXTREMELY detailed and involved.

In this handheld little DS game, he was allowed to practice playing his real life DECK against virtual opponents!!!

The game involved the following:

• He was allowed to battle and earn packs.
  • He was allowed to deckbuild and edit his decklists with cards that he had in his virtual collection (from opening the virtual packs!)
  • He was able to select from Tournament legal sets!
  • The game even had a "story mode" where he had to seek out new opponents

Question: WHY DO WE NOT HAVE THIS FOR POKEMON???

OMG! If we could actually PLAYTEST our REAL decks on a handheld, I'd pay out the neck for that program!!

Do any of you Yugioh players know the game to which I'm referring ?

Likewise, why isn't there an online tcg gaming website yet ?
I'd pay a subscription to be on that too!

i think it would be fun if they had 8 gym leaders and they played decks that were like they're in-game pokemon such as:

Roark- Rampardos

Gardenia- Torterra/Sceptile/Shaymin

Fantina- Mother Gengar

Maylene- Speed Machamp

Wake- Floatzel GL Hurricane or MT Gyarados with floatzel GL tech

Byron- Magnezone/Electivire

Candice- Abomasnow/Froslass Spread

Volkner- Raichu X/ Electivire

And don't forget the Elite 4:

Aaron- Drapion/Weavile

Bertha- Rhyperior Delcatty

Flint- Magmortar/Heatran

Lucian- GG/Weavile

Cynthia- Togechomp

I think that would be really awesome

It's probably because unlike Pokemon the entire YuGiOh plot is about the Dueling Cards where as Pokemon isn't.

There was an old game based on the TCG. It was clunky and difficult to maneuver from what I remember. There was a sequel made, though it never reached the States.

This has been talked to death over in the VG forum. We all want it. We've wanted it since they came out with the original game. They haven't given it to us.

Perhaps they don't want to have to go to the trouble of taking a TCG, a game whose rules are to be understood by human players, and translating it to a computer program, which would require code understandable by a computer. Perhaps they would have to program each of the over 4000 cards in the game, and write code for how each card interacts with every other card. A problem I see with a video game based on the TCG is that, if a new ruling or mistranslation comes down, there would be no way to fix that in the game, and there would be a bunch of people playing the game incorrectly.

Imagine a game where Tangrowth [GE] still only does damage based on how many energy cards are attached to it, or Bannette [SW] can knock itself out.

Perhaps they don't want to branch out an already very successful video game franchise and spread themselves too thin.

However, Yugioh, with all its retcons and errata, can still be programmed into a game, so it is certainly possible with Pokemon. It's very impressive that the Yugioh people are able to write code and make it work just like the TCG.

I definitly liked the old tcg game for gbc, it was really good and I played it a lot. It was also nice 2 learn the rules of the game. But IMO making a good KI for such a game today would be really difficult and there isnt enough request. There is more request for ygo games then for pkmn tcg games.

Also a YGO game is easier to do, the game is much simpler. You also dont need a good ki for there is no use for a good ki in a game that doesnt last longer than a turn anyway, and also does require little thinking :p

I know I always wanted a tcg for the gb or gba. There are alot of people where I live who want this to happen as well.

we did back then for GBC it was pokemon trading card game and i have 2 of them but i was wondering if pokemon would make a ds game for it.

i think yugioh can pull off a tcg game cuz thats what the whole show is based around but pokemon way more creative with making game where you can go through the whole region collecting pokes and battling lol.but it would be nice to see a new tcg game but it would be very wierd if they included evry single set and then if they didnt they would do the sets that are modified tourny legal so idk would be hard to pull off.

It could be for DSi, that way you could just download the new updates with errata or when a new set came out. They could just program the modified cards, which would make it a whole lot easier. Even if Nintendo just came out with a handheld like redshark it would be good. You would just play with friends. I'd like to have a database of cards, where you could see each card, if you didn't own them.

What magnestorms said would be cool and they should make one for a wii and then you could do that same as a DSi. I would love to play a great heck even just a good poke tcg game. Maybe we all should mail into Nintendo and/or Game Freaks to make it I thank it would go over great in the US just thanking about how miny people go to the tcg events and the other kids that don't get to go to the events I thank we should see about getting them to do it. Don't know how right now but maybe some one els would.

I mean it wouldn't be too hard to make on Wii, just make it like appr and have updates over wifi every time a set comes out. That's not too hard to do. I'd play appr on Wii, if I had a wii.

If they had Wifi, it'd be beast.
But then again, the same problems arise as with PBR. People can get illegitimate decks (they are virtual after all) and make casual play almost impossible.

There was an old game based on the TCG. It was clunky and difficult to maneuver from what I remember. There was a sequel made, though it never reached the States.

This has been talked to death over in the VG forum. We all want it. We've wanted it since they came out with the original game. They haven't given it to us.

It wasn't clunky. It was pretty solid actually, but there were a couple of issues:

1. They couldn't program Electrode or Ditto's Pokemon-Powers, because they were too complicated.

2. SUPER EASY OPPONENTS.

3. Ruling problems, like the inability to start with a Fossil, or not drawing a mulligan card.

That was about it. With newer programming and graphics, they could make something REALLY SOLID.

This has been talked about (I even think I might have posted a topic on the matter), but, as others have told you, it doesn't seem to be on their minds.

Also a YGO game is easier to do, the game is much simpler. You also dont need a good ki for there is no use for a good ki in a game that doesnt last longer than a turn anyway, and also does require little thinking :p
Hmn... That sounds familiar. Oh, wait! That was just like Pokemon from Stormfront to Platinum. Yu-Gi-Oh! Has some rather complex elements to it that are difficult to program, things that you are apparently unaware of. I have to give them credit for doing this. On a programming scale, both games are more or less equally complex.

Pokemon could be programmed into a videogame. We have the technology; Nintendo just doesn't have the interest. Not a big surprise; they didn't even bother translating the sequel to the TCG game for the US, which could have drawn in a better crowd, but they felt it best to avoid doing that. Their reasoning somewhat baffles me.

It wasn't clunky. It was pretty solid actually, but there were a couple of issues:

1. They couldn't program Electrode or Ditto's Pokemon-Powers, because they were too complicated.

2. SUPER EASY OPPONENTS.

3. Ruling problems, like the inability to start with a Fossil, or not drawing a mulligan card.

That was about it. With newer programming and graphics, they could make something REALLY SOLID.

Here's what I mean by clunky.

You couldn't see your hand when looking at the field.

You couldn't see the field when looking at your hand.

You couldn't see the discard pile... etc.

Deck searches were very inexpertly performed. Does it really matter the order of the deck when you search? Lemme know how many of each card is in the deck, sort it somewhat nicely (if I'm looking for a Pokemon, put those at the top), and make it search nicely.

The board layout was beyond awful. I couldn't see any of the information I needed to best prepare my strategy, such as the Pokemon in play, the damage on each Pokemon, and the energy attached to the Pokemon.

Stuff like that makes me call the game "clunky".

For god sakes.. IT'S NINTENDO!!!

I have a moble phone game (Wimbleton 2009) where I can play an entire WORLD TOUR ON MY PHONE with sound and graphics for $10.

Don't tell me the can't program a stagnant card game that accounts for simple attack if(then) rules ...

The Yugio game that Johnny was playing had DECKS and REAL cards... busting up packs and deckbuilding... animated opponents ... it's SERIOUSLY HOTTNESS... they can certainly do this for Pokemon and with all of the Newfound interest in Pokemon from Burger King, the show, and other promos, NOW it the time to release it to fuel the fire!

Furthermore... I OWN "Play it Pokemon" v.1 and v.2 !

They already have a prototype released from years ago. Just UPGRADE and Market it!

I second this motion! In my opinion, this is LONG overdue by...Oh, probably about a decade.

Get to work, Nintendo...We will BUY this!

Back