Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why Kingdra

Bruggy

Ok lets face the truth. Why Kingdra? With the release of the new set Legends Awakened coming out there is a much more feared deck and thats Magnezone / Electrive With Motor Drive you can attach extra nrg and with Electromagnetic Trance you can keep reusing that nrg on the same pokemon. It only takes 2 heads off of a Electrive to kill a Kingdra because of its weekness. Going on the Magnezone that was released in DP gives anything with a metal nrg attached a free retreat. If that was not enough the Magnezone that is to be released in the set following LA also has a motor drive for metal and electric nrg. This will own kingdra! I forgot this other Magnezone released in the set following LA for a min untill I went searching for the spoilers there will also be one that lets you search your deck for a electric or steel type pokemon.

Here are the Magnezone spoilers
LA
Magnezone LV.X – Steel – HP140
Level Up

Poke-Power: Electromagnetic Trance
You can use this Power as often as you like during your turn. Choose 1 Lightning Energy or 1 Metal Energy attached to your Pokemon and move it to another one of your Pokemon. This Power can't be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[L][M] Cyber Shock: 80 damage. Discard 1 Lightning Energy and 1 Metal Energy attached to Magnezone. The Defending Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 4

IFDS
Magnezone LV.44 – Steel – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Magneton

Poke-Power: Magnetic Search
You can use this Power once during your turn. Search your deck for 1 Lightning-type or Steel-type Pokemon card, show it to your opponent, and put it in your hand. Shuffle your deck afterward. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[L][C] Speed Shot: Does 30 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon, ignoring Weakness, Resistance, and any effects on that Pokemon.
[L][C][C] Crush Bolt: 80 damage. Discard 1 Energy attached to Magnezone.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 2

Magnezone LV.46 – Lightning – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Magneton

Poke-Power: Super Connectivity
You can use this Power once during your turn. Attach 1 Lightning Energy card or 1 Metal Energy card from your discard pile to your Active Pokemon. Then, place 1 damage counter on that Pokemon. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[L][C][C] Gyro Ball: 60 damage. You may switch Magnezone with one of your Benched Pokemon. If you do, your opponent switches the Defending Pokemon with one of his or her Benched Pokemon.

Weakness: Fighting (+30)
Resistance: Steel (-20)
Retreat: 3

Last edited:
...So it's a bad idea to use Kingdra because it has a weakness?

This is not a good reason not to use Kingdra.

If Kingdra had a fighting or psychic weakness, and it was to be played THIS season, I'd agree.

But since (as far as we can tell) there will be no true BDIF next format, and there will be good decks of every type. Weakness isn't a big deal. It's not like everyone will be playing Magnezone next format, like everyone is playing GG this format.

Anway, Kingdra isn't weak to Magnezone, and no one attacks with SW Electivire unless they're desperate. He's just an engine.

Finally, to counter your point, Magmortar wtfpwns Magnezone, and is WAY faster. So I guess we shouldn't play Magnezone...

Last edited:
Well first off, Kingdra can and most of the time does setup on the first turn they can play Tariners. Magnzone will take 1 or two turns longer to get out, rare candy or not. Secondly, Kingdra's late game is amazing, Aqua Streaming on a regular basis for big damage. Next, Magnezone loses to AMU quite often, as well as any new age PLOX attempt--most likely. Lastly, Kingdra plays plenty of Warp Point, as does AMU, so it's never that big of a deal to be Paralyzed. When Super Connectivity Magnezone hits the town, it might be different. But until then, you're hurtin buddy.

Last edited:
...So it's a bad idea to use Kingdra because it has a weakness?

This is not a good reason not to use Kingdra.

If Kingdra had a fighting or psychic weakness, and it was to be played THIS season, I'd agree.

But since (as far as we can tell) there will be no true BDIF next format, Weakness isn't a big deal. It's not like everyone willl be playing Magnezone next format, like everyone is playing GG this format.

Anway, Kingdra isn't weak to Magnezone, and no one attacks with SW Electivire unless they're desperate. He's just an engine.

Finally, to counter your point, Magmortar wtfpwns Magnezone, and is WAY faster. So I guess we shouldn't play Magnezone...

Ok dont get me wrong here the deck is a good idea however i feel with the cards released in the next set that kingdra will be a weaker choice

Wow, another Kingdra thread?:nonono:
So because of Magnezone Kingdra shouldn't see any play?
No.
Well, Magnezone shouldn't be played because of Magmortar, but Magmortar shouldn't see play because of Kingdra.
Looks like all three of those should just not be played...
Come on.

Magnezone has an additional problem.

I hope you're gonna enjoy having to rely on 1 single card every single game.

Sweetie I love you but please don't hurt yourself thinking so hard. If anything these decks as posted by master of puppets create a more rounded game play. If you still don't get it I will explain it to you when I get home from vacation.

Scipio
I'm interested to hear what one card you have to rely on every single game.

Kingdra is the fastest deck in format, and it will outspeed any Magnezone stuff. Don't talk about IFDS Magnezone, this one will release a set later and there will be a total different metagame.

Kingdra is overrated but I absolutely don't think it will have any special problems with Magnezone - even after IFDS release it could do quite well against.

However, I still think Kingdra will get screwed up by Eeveelutions - Leafeon with 130 HP + resist + Leaf Guard - even Empoleon who can do 90-100 damage per turn can't handle this. And Glaceon's body can stop their Claydols, but we'll see when it's time.

the only thing that stops Kingdra is leafeon. Kingdra out speeds this thing

even leafeon is out speed ed by by kingdra without DRE or Scramble

I am sure you will be able to beat kingdra when they get a T1 or T2 kingdra and kill you before you can set up. As well as that, magnezone with super connectivity won't come out until november

After going through my silly kingdra post, and reading more of the cards and thinking about how the game works, i've come to the conclusion that Kingdra isn't as good because of the set-up and cards it requires. you need at the beginning: Horsea, kingdra, rare candy, water energy, 2 cards to discard (hopefully water energies) which is 6 of your starting 8. your going to need baltoy/claydol so there goes 2-4 possible cards if you manage to draw that in the first 2 turns. (bebe's=2).
I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just really hard to have that set-up every match and the ability to discard the 2 cards every turn for the bonus dmg.

IMO: people will play kingdra just because but I don't think it will be very successful. Grass resist water and can heal itself, fire is just as fast and requires less to get going, and electricity pwns it.

^^ LOL

Seriously, that is not how Kingdra works. This is from my testing:

T1 Kingdra: 15% of the time
T1 Kingdra+Claydol: 2% of the time
T2 Kingdra: 75% of the time
T2 Kingdra+Claydol: 30% of the time
T3 Kingdra: 98% of the time
T3 Kingdra+Claydol: 95% of the time

Ergo, come T3 I'm fully powered up and ready to go, ready to power up additional Kingdras as I progress to beat the living daylights out of your Pokeys. I don't need to be set up by T1 to maul you.

True, Kingdra is fast, but i have also tested Magnezone Lv.X and i can get the 80-Paralyzed Cycle going by T3 as well, T4 a majority of the time. but that still is good and uh... Mr. Mime MT anyone? heh.

I think that is enough said, this can easily be a 50-50 matchup if both players have an ideal set up and the right lists

After going through my silly kingdra post, and reading more of the cards and thinking about how the game works, i've come to the conclusion that Kingdra isn't as good because of the set-up and cards it requires. you need at the beginning: Horsea, kingdra, rare candy, water energy, 2 cards to discard (hopefully water energies) which is 6 of your starting 8. your going to need baltoy/claydol so there goes 2-4 possible cards if you manage to draw that in the first 2 turns. (bebe's=2).
I'm not saying it's not possible, it's just really hard to have that set-up every match and the ability to discard the 2 cards every turn for the bonus dmg.
Roseanne's Research or Energy Search for the energy issue...

IMO: people will play kingdra just because but I don't think it will be very successful. Grass resist water and can heal itself, fire is just as fast and requires less to get going, and electricity pwns it.
Tech in Rapidash. Overrun for 20 (or 40 when up against Leafeon and Magnezone) and 10 more against what could be another Magnezone or Leafeon in the bench?

I dare you... *evil pointing*

i dont really see how kingdra can beat leafeon all leafeon needs to do is give up 1-2 prizes untill u have a leafeon X ready and that X should last awhile, at least long enough to have a 2nd rdy. leafeon X gets hit for 20 a turn and can use dawn stadium with will make it 10 a turn. unless leafeon has a horrible start or gets donked T1

T1 Kingdra: 15% of the time
T1 Kingdra+Claydol: 2% of the time
T2 Kingdra: 75% of the time
T2 Kingdra+Claydol: 30% of the time
T3 Kingdra: 98% of the time
T3 Kingdra+Claydol: 95% of the time

And what's the % that your kingdra is toast by T3

And what's the % that your kingdra is toast by T3

ehh from my testing it's about 2% no joke

how about this. Think about Empoleon DP and how it got 2nd at worlds in seniors and 3rd in masters. Kingdra is twice as good with the right list. It takes 2 less nrgy to attack and can get set up faster. Sure it does 10 less damage but it doesn't require the flip for bench damage.

Where do you get this getting toast by T3 from. Where have you and with what list did you test it with. Let me guess. you used 1-0-1 kingdra with no other pokemon and 58 energy against plox with T3 gallade

Where do you get this getting toast by T3 from. Where have you and with what list did you test it with. Let me guess. you used 1-0-1 kingdra with no other pokemon and 58 energy against plox with T3 gallade

Don't you mean 1-1-1 kingdra. LOL 1-0-1 kingdra with no candy. But yeah I have been T2ed many times by different decks. It's not invincible.

From my testing it can beat about almost all of the matchups but the other ones are very bad ones. Kingdra is a very good card but is not the play for the BR season.

Don't you mean 1-1-1 kingdra. LOL 1-0-1 kingdra with no candy. But yeah I have been T2ed many times by different decks. It's not invincible.

From my testing it can beat about almost all of the matchups but the other ones are very bad ones. Kingdra is a very good card but is not the play for the BR season.

the only deck that has an ok match-up against kingdra is lighthouse (lanturn/cruel) and that only wins if there are energy in kingdra's discard. With this knowledge I wouldn't understand why it isn't the play. by other do you mean 1 other.

Back