Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds '05 Biggest Waste of Time :: Top 8 for 15+ Grinders only made it to Big Event

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatFox

This was the biggist waste of time every for a tournament. We all knew that at the minimum only the Top 8 would make it to Worlds but we all expected at least top 16... maybe 32.

All 42 players in the 10 under division made it in. They didn't even have to play... but the were made to play 3 rounds anyways. What was the point.

Top 20 for 11-14 made it... so that was OK

But only the top 8 made it in 15+. It was ran as a 5 round swiis for over 250+ players. Only those that went undefeated made it. What was the point. It should have been Single elemination. A lot of kept playing thinking that we had some slight chance of making it... BUT NOOOOOO!!!!

What should have been done was to have all invites check in the day before and anounce to each division at the begining of Grinders how many spots would be open.

But no... we had to wait 'till 8 pm the same day to find out... and even then we were not told until just before the last rounds started. For over 242 players... this day was a big waste of time. Sure we had some fun, but if we had any this info before, we caould have planed better, and just droped instead of keep playing and wate thier time. Signle elemination would have been much better and we could have enjoyed the buffet and the side events.

They should get fixed for next year at Anahime!

I really don't understand, because I'm pretty sure several 15+ European players are not using their invitations so their slots most have been open.

Yeah, I don't understand why it was only top 8. I know of several invitees who aren't attending.

But what do I care? I was in that top 8. :D jk, i'm not a jerk. It was unfair, my friend made 9th out of that.

Ok...

1. No one forced you to play, they offered you a slight chance to play in worlds and you took it.

2. Maybe if you actually earned an invite, and didn't try to earn one the night before you wouldn't be in this situation.

3. You mispelled Anaheim...

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but you should be grateful they even let you try to get into worlds.

Last edited:
Eh...

The Fat Kid got it right. I mean, they said it'd be top 8 right? You guys all expected that they'd stretch it a little but you knew there'd be a another possibility that they wouldn't. You went in knowing there might be only 8 15+ players getting in.

They let the 10- in free?
Okay, GOOD! They are little kids. It's like, for example, say a ship was sinking with 100 people on board. 60 of them are children. Would all the teenagers and grown adults get in the lifeboats first? Hell no! LOL. The kids would be given the free pass. Why? Because they're kids! :)

Lizzie Willet said:
It's exciting, but I'm still nervous!
(10-)

C'mon... that's what it's all about. Isn't it??

Last edited:
Exactly it kind of sucks for the people that travelled for the chance but they should have known that their chances were slim i mean itw as still just a last chance. Youwouldn't expect they let top 50 in....in that case then it wouldn't be so special...

i mean it's not like they said oh top 32 willmake it and then say no just top 8, they always said Top 8 and maybe more, i htink the only reason some people are going to be upset is becuse they didn't make it to worlds, tough luck.

Last edited:
Basically what happened is a bunch of 14 year olds turned 15. I remember 'pop showing me the number before I left and I thought ouch.

GreatFox said:
. Only those that went undefeated made it. What was the point. !

Well Worlds is the tournament where the top playes play, so the point of only the undefeated making it into Worlds sounds good to me.

I am sorry you didn't make it, but on the website they did say that only the top 8 where going to be added to Worlds. PUI did what they said. It seems like all the time that us players expect more then what is promise. We should be happy that we have such a great team like PUI that have worked hard to have tournament likes these, prerelease, and everything else the do for this game. It is because of them we even have a 15+ age group, if you remember WOTC did away with the group.

here here great fox!

i almost took the gamble and flew out to play in the grinder hoping to get in if i played a rock-lock etc to ensure to get in, but top 8?! i would've had no chance--> over £1000 wasted lol

keeping you waiting would have got on my nerves too

still, even though im complaining, i wouldnt be if i had got the invite/trip so... ho hum! lol

Edit: also to be fair, worlds is the best of the best. If the grinder was far easier to get in, anyone living in the california area could just stroll in with a top tier deck and get into worlds--> ignoring the effort that some players had to put in to get there. But still, top 8 is a little harsh

Last edited:
We have over 160 players in the 15+ tournament, that is why they only let in 8 players from the Grinder.

Gym Leader Blaine said:
Look on the bright side of it, at least it was not the TOP 4 or less, that would of been harsh. :tongue:

this is true :tongue:

so GLB, are you judging or playing?

afirule said:
so GLB, are you judging or playing?

I am working in the back on the computer system with Randy and Mike. I am just hoping on the internet when I have a break from inputting data.

the ft. laud. loud mounth said:
GLB can u tell the gym how many rounds will be ran per age group

For Worlds there is a total 8 Rounds in the Swiss part of Worlds, this is for all of the age groups.

I think it might be incorrect to say, the best of the best. It's really, those were were lucky to get a handy-down trip.

Hopefully you wouldn't be spending all that money just to get into the tournament. There are many other fun aspects to Worlds than playing in the tournament itself.

Am I getting this right? Only the Top 8 made it in? =/

I'm back from vacation! =D

Only the Top 8 made it in? So that would mean only undefeated players made the Top cut if, in fact, there were 250+ players at the Grinder (which is an AMAZING number, btw). I really don't like that. Top 32 or, at the very least, Top 16 was in order. If saying that only the undefeated players (which is what's been said earlier in the thread) deserve a spot at Worlds is the position POP takes on this, it can only turn ugly. Bad move.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back