Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds staff?

Voltorb43

Forgive me if this is premature, but will there be opportunities to volunteer for staff on Friday night at Worlds?

I'll be playing in the grinder and if I don't make the cut, I'd like to put in a few hours either running/judging side events or just teaching new kids how to play.

Thanks.

Usually there are no demo areas for teaching players and the like.

I know in the past there was a Video/Game room, and there were side events.

The best thing you can do is to inquire on site.

I know that they have done most of their staffing already, with people who are going to be there just to assist and be on staff.

There may be opportunities, just ask, but if Nationals was any indication, PUI has their staffing needs plannned out well. (give or take an n)

M45

ya, if friday night they need anything, I would love to help out...I would be playing Saturday (and hopefully Sunday) though

yeah if i can help in anyway im up for it unless im playing i can help on friday and on sunday if i dont make the top cut

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the same Profs and PTOs that helped at Nationals also all help at Worlds (plus the International staff). Hopefully not. I'd like to see PUI ration out the oppurtunities to "serve" to as many deserving Professors and PTOs as possible.

BTW, this is NOT a complaint. Personally, I will be playing. I'm just hopeful that Worlds' staffing needs are rotated to as many deserving Profs and PTOs as possible.

Last edited:
If POP is happy with the staff they picked for Nationals, why shouldn't they use most of the same people to staff Worlds? AFAIK, most of the Nat'ls staff also staffed Worlds last year; "If it ain't broke.."

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
SD PokéMom said:
If POP is happy with the staff they picked for Nationals, why shouldn't they use most of the same people to staff Worlds? AFAIK, most of the Nat'ls staff also staffed Worlds last year; "If it ain't broke.."

JMHO,
'mom
Just my opinion. I've got NOTHING against anyone on the staff or at PUI. I'm just voicing what many "left out" Professors and PTOs probably may be feeling.

BTW, I suspect PUI picked the best of the best, from what I saw at Nats.

I have no gripes. I'm just voicing an idea for consideration.

Last edited:
Team Compendium gives them a group rate.

And that roll of undeveloped pictures doesn't hurt...

PokePop said:
Team Compendium gives them a group rate.

And that roll of undeveloped pictures doesn't hurt...
aw man, who can compete with "Wally World" style capitalism? We peons will never be able to compete with you big guys.

:mad: :biggrin: :tongue: :thumb: :cool:

i am arriving on wednesday, and i would like to staff on that day and thursday (maybe help get the goodie bags set up and whatnot).
i, too, have no problem with the staff at worlds, but i do think other people should get the chance to staff aswell. you gotta pass down the sage knowlege so that others can learn. ;)
i suppose i will inquire when i arrive then.

I think PUI takes its reccomendations from its veteran staff members seriously.

You want to staff at Worlds,,,what have you done at the local/regional scene?

I know there are a lot of GREAT people who are not staffing worlds (PTOs, power gym leaders), who I would turn to in a heartbeat, especially from my surrounding area, but I think the key is make a splash on your local scene. Work your way up to get noticed at a Regional or Gym Challenge as a superior judge...and then the rewards could follow...

BUT THAT MEANS I WON'T BE ABLE TO PLAY AND WIN A TRIP!!!

Yes, it does, you will have to forego your individual goals for the betterment of the game.

That is what separates a TIER 1 judge from the rest of the pack in my mind.

I have several judges I will always turn to, A) because they are the BEST, and B) because they have, without griping, been willing to step in and work when I needed them to, even when that meant they couldn't play (for a whole series of events sometimes)

But, Vince, I am doing everything I can...and noone notices...

People DO notice, all the time...

I have already begun making my short list for Regionals 2006...and we will see some of the same (if they are available), and some new names who will have truly impressed me between now and then.

Let's put it this way...I hope they find room for Mike Schell on the staff....this is a guy who did nothing but give to the game for YEARS asking nothing in return...and is being recognized finally for his service...not because he demanded to be recognized...but just because of his superior contribution to the game in my opinion....

There are others out there...they are out there.

See you at Worlds! The SUPERIOR EVENT of 2006.

M45

i am league leader at 2 leagues, and one of them (NOT the cedar grove one...the other one) is owned by a total jerk who refuses to listen to any of my input. he does not go by the "read me first" documents, and because there is only 2 hour a week league sessions, people cannot earn their badges. does he care? no. so, even though the kids have not realized it, they will not be getting their badges. he says that whoever hasn't gotten their badges will get them by earning them in next year's league, which really only helps him because he charges $5 a week for league (including from me, the only professor there). he blames me that kids barely show up for league anymore, and that some just don't come anymore. he says it is my fault because of this because i run two leagues, and he thinks i tell the kids of my other league (NOTE: i do NOT do any sort of thing. i know that would be the wrong thing to do as it would jeapordize his business).
let me also add that he is incredibly lazy when it comes to reporting the league seasons. when we went to report the fortune island season (finally, after telling him for weeks that we should report it), the system said that the next kit we were going to have sent to us would be trainer tower--the final season (and the season after quest island). because he has procrastinated so long, we missed the deadline to order quest island. i have spent my entire week fixing this problem, while he sat on his butt and didn't care. in the end, BigDaddySnorlax is sending us the quest island kit, so we are set with that.
now, you may ask why do i keep going to this league? because of one reason:
the kids need me there. without me, they wouldn't have anyone to care about rulings. without me, there wouldn't be anyone to teach the kids how to play. thats why i still go and put up with his junk, and, at the same time, all the kids love me there.
so, i think i have earned the right to staff at worlds. i will even work for free, as long as i get to help. dave and mike both know me and i am sure they will let me help out.

Last edited:
Not denying your dedication Ben...not an attack at all...

I think that the Professor Rewards program was a great FIRST STEP in recognizing and rewarding people like you for what you do, and I know there will be more rewards in the coming year...

Hey, I know PUI is always looking for ways to reward the good people involved with the game. Hopefully you will get to know the PUI staff at Worlds, and get in on the fun!

See you there!

M45

vince, don't you remember me from nationals?
i hung out with your son, andrew, and played a game against his dark hypno deck. i know the PUI staff, and they all know me.
even without the professor program, i would want to help out. i know PUI does a lot to reward the staffers, but thats not why i want to help out. i want to help out because...well, i guess i just do. i want to be a doctor, and when you are a doctor, you are helping people. i know that is kinda farfetch'd, but, thats just who i am. so, i guess i will inquire when i get there.

don't forget how well PUI rewarded point-earning professors at the the Origins Professor Cup. Now that was awesome! The boosters were ALL free. And who can forget the free Professor Energy!

My motives for helping staff at major events borders on selfish. When I heard the Nationals Staff all got "Staff" stamped promos, man was I jealous.

hey, no griping here. I choose to play this year, and originally went to last year's South Plains Stadium anticipating to play. It was indeed an honor to be asked by M45 to help out. Likewise, this year, I originally planned to play at the MtnW Regionals but was extremely honored when GLBlaine asked me to HJ the 15+ (and was generously compensated).

I think PUI is doing a "bang up" job of staffing major events this year. Like I said previously, the best of the best seem to be getting the best staffing positions. It will be tough to compete here in the smaller markets.

See you guys at Worlds!! (Got my reservation confirmations today.)

Acording to what i hear POP emails people personally and has a staff ready so they dont need to find anyone come wolrds. They have a personal staff that worked with them before and are the best to judge the world championships. Thats atleast how it went last year.

Your statement would be perfect, but for a small minor exception, I AM STAFF, therefore i can safely assume it has nothing to do with being good (at least on my case), im pretty positive they get their kicks with inside bets like: "lets see who kills Ives out of exasperation first" or the always popular " who can throw Ives farther after hearing him for 3 straight days", that is the real reasons behind who gets to staff worlds.
And there is always the nonetheless possible fact that they simply made a mistake. :p

Nothing to do with Tequila bribes, eh Ives???

Just Kidding!!!!

See you at Worlds....are you going to be there on Thursday...the boys want to take a trip to Tiajuana!!!

M45

Back