Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Yu-Gi-Oh! #1 Top Collectible Games--Q2 2010

That doesn't make any sense at all.
Pokemon behind MTG and YGO in the mass channel??

I don't think so.

Has something happened in YGO recently to cause a spike?

In my local area, YGO died out and then all of a sudden spiked back into popularity a few months ago.

I don't think so.

Agreed. Pokemon thrives on the Mass channel (i.e. WalMart). Only thing that could possibly knock PTCG off from that spot would be distributor problems. And I doubt that could happen on a scale large enough to affect sales like this.

OTOH, it has been a while since the last set dropped. I think the Q1 report came out a little bit after UNL dropped. Might that be a reason? Doubt it...

Has something happened in YGO recently to cause a spike?

well a lot of the extreme rare/good/expensive cards are being given out in tins and stuff recently :wink:
but i don't think that's the major recent in the sudden sales

One reason why I think YGO keeps dipping and spiking is because of it's unlimited format. Because they only ban certain cards instead of rotating out entire sets, there is an enormous amount of replay-ability from past players who want to start playing again. They don't have to worry about all their cards being illegal to use, and can just hop right back in.

With new sets still supporting old deck designs (like zombies, or amazons), these old players are seduced back into the game. So, even when popularity dies down, something small like a new set can suddenly spike the popularity of the game.

That's my theory of course.

I started playng ygo again as well, dunno pokemon just seems kinda boring right now, new sets are pretty crappy and thanks to the rotation well see another year of luxchomp anyway. I stopped playing ygo to play pokemon back then, because pokemon was the better game, right now its the other way around.

"The charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers."
So numbers aren't 100% correct?

I'm sure the bad sets released plus the lack of caring of what their players think about the world tournament of the year (HAWAII anyone?) is what isn't helping as well.

current yu-gi-oh format is 9000> times better then current pokemon format, they are also trying to make it cheaper (blisters, good theme decks)

mass reprints coming out in august and sooner...like common mirror force. :3

plus frgos ftk is another reason why it could be high since that deck is only $20 max to build it.

I'm sure the bad sets released plus the lack of caring of what their players think about the world tournament of the year (HAWAII anyone?) is what isn't helping as well.

What? Does everyone hate the fact that it's in Hawaii? :frown:

Hawaii is FANTASTIC. I'm here right now having a great time. (Just checking for Worlds gossip before I go to the beach!)

I doubt I would ever have gone to Hawaii in my life if it wasn't for Worlds. I'm glad its here.

What? Does everyone hate the fact that it's in Hawaii? :frown:

Hawaii is FANTASTIC. I'm here right now having a great time. (Just checking for Worlds gossip before I go to the beach!)

I doubt I would ever have gone to Hawaii in my life if it wasn't for Worlds. I'm glad its here.

your in hawaii right NOW?
Lets switch lives till after worlds.

On topic:
also yugioh booster boxes are much cheaper. At my local store yugioh booster boxes are going for 20$. (no lie)

mass reprints coming out in august and sooner...like common mirror force. :3

plus frgos ftk is another reason why it could be high since that deck is only $20 max to build it.

or Machina, with the new reprints you can get a sick list for only 50$, i'm so getting that.

I don't think so.

I work at a hobby shop and the reason why i think YGO was on top was because of the Shining Darkness set. It had all the Infernity archetype cards that was pretty broken half the time. Then there was also the Gold Series 3 set that were $25 a piece. With the reprint on Judgement Dragons and other Gold cards such as Plaguespreader and Stardust Dragon, a lot of customers bought cases of that set. YGO also released Duelist Pack: Kaiba which is a big draw to kids that want to play Kaiba's deck.

Then with Magic, im pretty sure Rise of the Eldrazi was released around that time, and maybe Magic 2011 Core Set. Again Eldrazi was a good set, and M:11 reprinted a lot of big cards like Baneslayer Angels. Like YGO i've had customers buy a large amount. I know the Target and Wal-Marts around my area sold Fat Packs for Magic and those always go out quickly.

IMO, I don't think Unleashed was that great of a set. And while mom and dad pay $4 for a pack of Pokemon for kid A, Adult/Teen A could be buying boxes of Magic or YGO. I wouldn't be that surprised if YGO gets higher than Pokemon next quarter since Duelist Revolution (YGO's next set) is going to be like The Shining Darkness set, and in October Structure Deck Marik releases that comes with Mirror Force ($25-$30 card).

The fact that Julia (Purity) has literally restructed Yugioh's crappy OP program most likely had some effect on the spike for Yugioh as well.

Drew

Back