Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

2011 Houston Regionals TWO DAY thoughts

Team Cook

2011 Regionals will be held in Houston at the Sam Houston Race Park Pavilion Center (same as last year).

I'm seriously considering a two day Regionals IF attendance warrants it. who knows, maybe we won't need it. The second day would ONLY be for Top Cut. I would really like to hear from the top players on this issue. The second day would kick off early (9:00 - 10:00 am) so we can get any out of town players and staff back home at a decent time.

If I do this, I can start Swiss a little later, knowing we won't be up all night.

I'm really interested in hearing from out of town players. All in-put would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE don't use this thread for COMPLAINING, I don't care if you don't like the location or Houston. All I want to see are opinions on a 2 day event.

Top Cut players & parents - it's your opinions that will make my decision, let's hear from you.

I'm thinking:

Saturday,

9:30 am - 11:30 am Registration
12:00 pm - Start

Sunday,

9:00 am arrival
9:30 am - Start

This should keep ALL players well rested and fresh for both days.

Last edited:
See, i think that this is a good idea. Yugioh does this with their big events and it generally works out better. You come back to the event refreshed with a good night's sleep. Also, if sleep isn't your thing, you can practice against the decks that made top cut. I agree with this idea, but I also live 20 mins. away from the venue, so maybe an out-of-town voice would be better to hear from.

I am from out of town near Dallas. I will be driving last years senior regional winner to this years Regional tournament. Neither choices, one day or two day, are perfect, but I guess I would lean towards the two day - since you asked for my opinion.

I see no reason why attendance would fall from what it has been in the past few years, and that kind of turnout definitely warrants a multiple-day event in my view.

Yo Mr. Mike! Two Day!? Seriously I'm up for that all the way! It gets tiring after playing all day (or in some cases setting up in the morning too), and then going into top cuts. I remember being there till around 1AM, and I was completely exhausted, and definitely wasn't playing at the top of my game. I'm totally for a two day event, but would love to hear from anyone else who disagrees.

there are good and bad points to it. on one hand it will keep everyone fresher allowing for better competition. on the other hand, some "local" players have quite a long drive to the event. not enough to warrant a hotel, but definitely far enough that a 9 am start to day 2 would mean leaving the house by 7 am and hoping for decent traffic. and we all low how fickle houston traffic and construction can be. if we could get a 1030 am or so second day i think it would be better.

I'm for a one day regional event for three reasons:

1) Cheaper for all parties concerned: for the TO, for the judges, for the parents, and for the players.

2) If participation in the second day is dependent on whether or not you top cut, it becomes a big "if" in your planning. Do people who work weekends plan on missing one day or two? Do students at any level plan on dedicating any significant amount of time to their due-on-Monday projects on Sunday, or not? Should I book a second day of hotel, or head straight back? Due to not knowing these answers in advance, many are stuck at a loss, and put into awkward circumstances.

3) Beyond top cut, it seems like the "day two" would be fairly uneventful for everyone else. Unless all Regionals were funded and equipped with the wherewithal to make day two an event for everyone, it just isn't worth holding.

Keep in mind that all three of these are conditional; that is, they're subject to change on circumstances, so I'm not stuck on just one dogmatic viewpoint. However, if this is what you think is good for the players Mike, then by all means go forward with it, and maybe even lobby P!P to give your event something extra to make both days fun for everyone.

P.S. Speaking of that last thought, maybe an off-duty judge could organize a pick-up tournament on day two for people knocked out of the main event? That always seems to work at Nationals to keep people having fun, so why not at Regionals? It could theoretically be free (with extra P!P prize support), or entrance fee-funded.

I will most likely be going to Regionals, guess it all depends on how States and CC finish up for us. For us, I would rather it be a 2 day event. I would venture to say my son would probably top cut in Juniors and I stand a reasonable chance to top cut in Masters. Even having no guarantees, I'd still take the 2 day event. Is it cheaper for one day? Maybe. It is a LONG drive for us (we are from Odessa) and I have no desire to make it a short trip. Either way, I will probably have to stay that second night and this is true for MANY people making that long drive. We might very well take a few other players with us and that would allow us to split the travel price a bit, even to the point of the extra day not really even being an issue.

Just to play Devil's Advocate to Cyrus's post, I'll address the other 2 issues I haven't addressed:

2. Its not hard to cancel your second night when you check out. If you work weekends, just assume 2 days, its not rocket science. To college students, if you plan to attend regionals, you know WELL in advance when your projects are due and when regionals will be, your procrastination shouldn't hinder or even be taken into consideration when considering everyone else's experience.

3. If you don't top cut, why would you be there day 2? You are arguing against a 2 day tourny but complaining about nothing to do day 2. Now, I agree, it would be nice to see "off duty" judges overseeing side events and even to have some support from P!P, but I don't think the lack of an event even remotely nullifies a 2 day event.

Though, I do think that Wayne brings up a lot of good points about "local" players. A bit later of a start on that second day would be nice.

All in all, I'm for the 2 day event. I just hope enough time is given to make adequate arrangements if it is 2 days.

BTW, where can we complain about the event? (jk)

Keep these thoughts in mind.

1. The second day venue will be small, I don't have the Race Park for Sunday, and can't get it.

2. I'm set in my mind that if I do a second day, only top cut will be involved.

3. If it's a two day, then I can start day 1 a little later, giving out of town players time to travel in the morning of, versus having to rent a hotel on Friday night.

4. Players and parents know if they stand a chance at making top cut, and they'll plan accordingly.

5. It's more time consuming for me for a two day event but I'm willing to give it a try if players want it. After all, if it wasn't for the players, I wouldn't be here.

6. I don't mind starting a little later on Sunday but my goal is to get done early enough that traveling players and parents can get home at a decent time Sunday evening.

7. I would think that anyone traveling would make sure the entire weekend is open. I always leave my Sundays available when traveling to States, whether I'm a player or part of staff.

8. I"ll make a final decision quick enough so plans can be made without any issues.

Thanks Mike. You always run fun major events and I'm sure this one won't be any different which ever way you decide to go with it.

u guys are so lucky u have a nice enough judge that would take your opinon. i wish cali judges would do that . you better appreciate him while hes still juging

i would love a 2 day regionals.

if you decide to go for 2 days you may see ryan vergel and chris bianchi at your tournament :D

---------- Post added 12/24/2010 at 01:37 PM ----------

I'm for a one day regional event for three reasons:

1) Cheaper for all parties concerned: for the TO, for the judges, for the parents, and for the players.

2) If participation in the second day is dependent on whether or not you top cut, it becomes a big "if" in your planning. Do people who work weekends plan on missing one day or two? Do students at any level plan on dedicating any significant amount of time to their due-on-Monday projects on Sunday, or not? Should I book a second day of hotel, or head straight back? Due to not knowing these answers in advance, many are stuck at a loss, and put into awkward circumstances.

3) Beyond top cut, it seems like the "day two" would be fairly uneventful for everyone else. Unless all Regionals were funded and equipped with the wherewithal to make day two an event for everyone, it just isn't worth holding.

Keep in mind that all three of these are conditional; that is, they're subject to change on circumstances, so I'm not stuck on just one dogmatic viewpoint. However, if this is what you think is good for the players Mike, then by all means go forward with it, and maybe even lobby P!P to give your event something extra to make both days fun for everyone.

P.S. Speaking of that last thought, maybe an off-duty judge could organize a pick-up tournament on day two for people knocked out of the main event? That always seems to work at Nationals to keep people having fun, so why not at Regionals? It could theoretically be free (with extra P!P prize support), or entrance fee-funded.

its only more expensive for a minority, and the increased costs for the PTO arent as significant. there should be like <10% of the previous days participants, and the venue could easily be a free location like a card shop

people can go home for day 2, or there could be side events, coordinated VCG events, drafts, etc (and the drafts and side events could help pay for the cost of the event itself too). depends on preferences.

last year i think the atlanta VGC got over a thousand people coming? im surprised we havent seen more hybrid events. this should be the way to do it.

Yeah, my main concern is just that the second day would become less meaningful for any non-top cut stuck there at the venue. Part of the reason why Nationals is a great event even when top 16 is going on is because there's still so much to do, play, and see. If top cut will be done on Sunday, then that's 32 people in Masters who are still there playing, but most of those 32 people have relatives and fellow travelers who have nothing to do other than just watch. If top cut is done on Sunday, then that's ~16 people in each of the other age groups who are playing, but several parents and chaperons at a loss. Some sort of side event, however, would do a lot of good, and may even encourage people who'd leave earlier to actually stay in town!

I've never missed cut at this event, but I've also been knocked out of it pretty early (like, first round early), so I have a pretty clear idea of what one or two day events would entail. From the perspective of the cut player and his/her immediate travelers, it would be a much bigger waste to stay for a whole extra day just to lose, rather than leave at 8, 9, or 10 PM. Removing this potential feeling of "waste" is the biggest hurdle to justifying the two (or three) day event: if you can get past that, then I think even stubborn guys like me would agree with it.

P.S. P!P should start printing Regionals and Nationals top cut promos. Totally off-topic but I figured it'd be fun. :biggrin:

I agree with Cyrus, as an event on Sunday would be nice for the extras to keep occupied. Like a box tourney or something similar.

As a former Division Lead Judge, I would love to see Texas, as well as others, go to a 2 day format if needed.

I know that when I Judged Texas a few years back, we were at the School until 2:30am with the Masters final.

It has worked well for US Nats and Worlds to be spread out and it really makes things smoother for the Staff and the players.

Entertaining the non top cut players and families waiting would be the biggest challenge.

This is coming from a guy never been to a tourney larger than a CC, but...

I could see a 2 day regs being plausible; especially if the 2nd was just for top cut.

I agree.

I agree with Cyrus, as an event on Sunday would be nice for the extras to keep occupied. Like a box tourney or something similar.

Yeah, something like that would be excellent. If P!P were to send 2-3 boxes of extra support (both to judges and players), then this could be done without charge. Even if it weren't, it could still be done with a $5 entrance fee. Here's a hypothetical layout...

1st place: a box
2nd place: half a box (or zero)
3rd place: 9 packs (or zero)
4th place: 9 packs (or zero)
Judging staff (singular or plural): x packs

I think that something like this - something like what's done at Nats every year - would be very popular, and would give day two tag-alongs something to do.

There's really no reason, as long as product and staff are available, that 8-mans and drafts wouldn't be running all day on day 2. Charge the standard price for drafts and $5 for the modified event, queue up to 8 people and go at it.

I don't live in TX nor will I be attending this event, but I thought I'd add that in.

Back