Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Charizard AoA: A Firestorm Production Article!

Status
Not open for further replies.

calisupra2nr

Charizard: A Firestorm Production September 2009

Intro: Well the time has arrived to start publishing the newest deck in development and testing: Charizard. The deck should appear to be pretty standard. One important key piece to all of the decks I build (and you will hear me refer to) is the notion of being well rounded. Being well rounded to me and my decks implies the ability to face any opponent and come out of 51% of the matches being victorious. Winning the majority is what it’s all about and in the Strategy and card details you will see how to accomplish this. Burning onto the competitive scene for the first time in recent memory, Charizard lights up the battlefield with no mercy.

Strategy: Now for the meat of this deck- Charizard. Your ultimate goal and strategy of this deck is to utilize Charizard’s Pbody in tandem with his low energy attack cost to produce quick and powerful attacks that will maneuver you through not only early game, but mid and late game as well. The process to achieve this will be detailed when looking at the cards of the deck. As with previous decks I have made, this deck is showing promise in testing because of its ability to setup reasonably quick, and then maintain a nice balance of attack power, and metagame countering (see Mewtwo). Obviously as time goes on and I continue testing against upcoming decks from AoA I will edit, but this provides a great template for other users to start using a well rounded Charizard successfully.

Deck list:

Pokémon: 22

4 Charmander AoA:
Charmander LV.13 - Fire - HP60
Basic Pokémon
[C] Cry For Help: Show 1 Basic Fire Pokémon card from your deck to your opponent, then put it in your hand.
[R][C] Firebreathing: 20 damage.
Weakness:Water(+10)
Resistance:(none)
Retreat: 1

This little guy has the highest HP of any Charmander in the format. Also, his first attack allows for setup in the absence of a call energy or rare candy/charizard.

2 Charmeleon SW: This is the best Charmeleon in the format. Hopefully you never have to use him.

4 Charizard AoA:
Charizard LV.60 - Fire - HP140
Stage 2 - Evolves from Charmeleon
Poke-Body:FlameForm
Any damage done to the opponent’s Active Pokémon by this Pokémon’s attacks is increased by 10 for each Fire-Type Pokémon on your Bench.
[R]FireWing:30damage.
[R][R][C] Burning Tail: 80 damage. Discard 1 Fire Energy attached to Charizard.
Weakness:Water(+30)
Resistance:Fighting(-20)
Retreat: 3

Well here he is folks- the man of the hour. 1 Energy for 30 and 3 Energy for 80 (with discard.) These attacks are nothing special alone, but combined with the pokebody, the damage output really starts to pile on and quickly. The average game you play with this deck should see 2-3 fire bench Pokémon at any given time. This means his attacks range from 50-60 (for 1 fire) and 100-110 (with 3 energy). Expert Belt when needed and you have yourself a 160hp Charizard doing anywhere from 70-130 with 1-3 energy. This is on average, because unless you are seeing Dusknoir or PGX, you should have 4 fire bench, 1 claydol. Meaning, you have a 1 energy attack doing 70, and a 3 energy attack doing 120.

2 Baltoy: Claydol setup.

2 Claydol: Standard drawing engine. Use BTS to set him up fast. This will drop for Ninetales HGSS once the set arrives.

1 Unown G: Protect Claydol! Will add 1 more to come HGSS to add protection.

1 Uxie: Use ONLY when you are hurting for cards and have to drop to avoid a loss. Will be dropped upon arrival of HGSS.

1-1 Mewtwo MD-LA Same old stall as other Mewtwo's. This will drop out come HGSS to be available for a 3-3 Ninetales line.

2-1-2 Blaziken PL Auto Burn from the bench to add on to cheap damage. Also a good attacker if need be. This slot is swappable with other fire techs such as Typhlosion MT (to accel bench building) or Ninetales. Once HGSS releases this will count for Great Typhlosion to work in tandem with Ninetales HGSS.

Energy: 12

4 Call: This is the average call energy slot, but could be rotated out in favor of more fire energy. It helps setup nicely, but can take away from the fire energy count in late game.

6 Fire

2 Psychic

Trainer Engine: 26

4 Roseanne’s: Retrieves your basic Pokémon and energy needed for early setup.

4 Bebe’s: The obvious supporter for grabbing Pokémon from the deck.

4 Rare Candy: Meat and bones to getting out a T1/2 Charizard and begin attacking.

4 Quickball: This slot is really a mess right now. With the need to
quickly capture Pokémon from the deck, you can bet I am still testing.

2 Warp Point: This is to mix up the battlefield both offensively and defensively. If you have an expert belt on a Zard with 30 HP left, warp him out for a fresh one. Alternatively, warp out your opponents active for a better bench KO.

2 Expert Belt AoA:
ExpertBelt
Trainer - Pokémon Tool
The Pokémon this card is attached to has its maximum HP increased by 20. When the Pokémon this card is attached to attacks, it does an additional 20 damage to the opponent’s Active Pokémon. When the Pokémon this card is attached to is Knocked Out and your opponent takes a Prize card, your opponent takes 1 additional Prize card.
To use a Pokémon Tool, attach it to one of your Pokémon. It can’t be attached to a Pokémon that already has a Pokémon Tool attached to it.

This big boy tool is for when you have the ability to setup quickly and begin to OHKO your opponent WITHOUT immediate threat of being KO’d. Usually this card (with Zards Body) allows for a 70-80 damage attack using 1 energy. Zards bigger attack has a greater range averaging 120-130. This sounds great, but do not be surprised when your opponent takes 2 prizes knocking out Charizard. Normally I try and use stark to transfer energy and then retreat Zard to the bench to avoid a direct KO on him.

2 Broken Time Space: This is the key stadium for quick setup of not only Charizard and Ninetales, but Claydol as well.

1 Night Maint.: Recycle Pokemon/Energy depending on your needs.

1 Stark: ALMOST a necessity in every fire deck. Play this card when the time calls for you to start getting tricky late game, and you need to transfer energy to healthy fire Pokémon.

1 Luxury Ball: This is a great way to grab a charizard when you have a charmander and candy in hand. You can also continue setup by playing a Rosey in the same turn.
Matchups: While there are some obvious conclusions to be made beforehand, such as preconditions like Grass decks auto-win and Water decks auto-loss, I would like to do a detail concerning the current metagame and then update when AoA arrives stateside. Much will remain the same, with the exception of updated trainers, techs, etc. As always, if you are currently testing an upcoming deck and have at least a 2:1 win/loss ratio, please shoot me a pm to discuss lists. And now for the main event:

-Speedrill 40% - Charizard 60%: Well this guy is a pest with Charizard being the best form of pest
control. If Speedrill sets up perfectly, it’s hard to play against for any deck. Luckily it does take its fair share of setup, just like Charizard, only Beedrill has the weakness which makes him OHKO very easily.

-Gengar+ Variants 40% - Charizard 60%: Gengar does not have much to use his Shadow Room against. The Lv X is rendered useless by the 0 use of LV X’s on my side. Poltergeist is the only option in which you must account for and then play around. Even if fainting spell hits, you can recover nicely with a low energy attack boosted by a fire bench. Make sure Unown G is on Claydol, and for once, enjoy playing Gengar.

-Machamp+ Variants 50% - Charizard 50%: This is all about setup and whether or not Machamp prevents Charizard’s. If Machamp does not stop the game by T2, it is hugely in your favor.

-LuxApe 55% - Charizard 45%: While Mewtwo is still a great tech against SP decks, Luxray can play around him with his power and bring up vulnerable Pokémon such as Claydol. If you can setup, this makes it much easier as Charizard can begin to run through the lower HP SP Pokémon.

-Legos/ Palkia G 60% - Charizard 40%: While again, you do have Mewtwo at your disposal, weakness hurts any deck. The option here is to play Mewtwo as your active and to play your bench according to PGX power. The only thing that makes this even a recognizable matchup is to stall until you can start OHKO SP Pokémon via Zards 80 damage attack (90 with 1 bench, 100 with 2 bench, 120 with expert belt.)

-SP Toolbox+ Variants 40% - Charizard 60%: Mewtwo really shines here against the many different SP variances. Stall with Mewtwo until you’re ready to come out and start taking your prizes with Charizard.

-Flygon+ Variants 45% - Charizard 55%: Flygon has always been a good card, and playing against him is no fun. Luckily, Charizard is quicker than Flygon and has more HP. There are no LVX’s here Mr. Flygon so find another way to get your prizes.

-Gyarados 70% - Charizard 30%: Weakness will ruin the flaming fun, so try and setup fast and ruin their Sableye start. If they setup before you, it is game over and you should play it out like a true champ.

-Kingdra 70% - Charizard 30%: Weakness, weakness, weakness. Kingdra just abuses Zard’s weakness and then spanks him with some real speed. Just laugh when you see Kingdra and take the auto loss.
-Regigigas 50% - Charizard 50%: This match is about setup. Luckily, Gigas sees little play these days so this is just a regular matchup of knowledge, luck and reasoning.

-Gardy+Weavile 45% - Charizard 55%: Gardy is nasty when abusing power lock. Thankfully he requires setup in tandem with Weavile, so just use the same turns to setup your side of the field. Then if he power locks you, no big deal; just continue powering through the gardy line. Gallade, well he may take out a Zard, but come back and keep hitting for consistent damage.

-Luxray AoA 40% - Charizard 60%: Discarding tools will only get you so far. Take advantage of faster setup and demolish Luxray before he gets his necessary energy and tools.

-Nidoqueen+Expert Belt 50% - Charizard 50%: If this sets up on you, it’s nearly impossible to overcome. Hopefully you can setup as fast or close to it, and do bigger damage (<60) and take the nice 2 prize cards per Queen.

-Salamence AoA: Not Enough Data Yet. I am currently coproducing a build for Salamence AoA but I would not expect to really start digging into testing until October after Charizard has been finalized. As the build for Salamence is complete, I will certainly update the matchup.

Variants: Instead of running Mewtwo and a 2-1-2 Tech line, you have 7 spaces free. Here are some great combos that work well with Charizard and of course you can pick and choose your lines.

2-2 Magmortar SV: Lay down on bench to add confusion and burn to the equation (and essentially force a switch). Great additive for Charizard's body also.

1-1 Rapidash AoA: Block those pesky SP Pokemon. Only reason this is not in the current build is that this Pokemon is a terrible attacker. Mewtwo can block ALL basics and attack well when called upon. The downside of this is that it does not add to Zard.

2-1-2 Typhlosion MT: Recycle those discarded energy by attaching to benched Zards or other Pokemon in need.

3-1 Infernape 4 (w/ SP support engine): Use Ape 4 for what he does best, quick spread, big finish and disruption power. Free retreat is always nice and when you add 3 Cyrus', 3 Egains, and 3 Poketurns, this guy is nasty. Downside is that you sacrifice setup engine for Charizard by throwing in these specific SP trainers. This is a great variant that I have ran multiple times in testing.

2-2 Houndoom LA: Very simple idea, lay down on bench to add to Zard's body, then when Charizard is down and out, send in the dogs to clean up for big, cheap damage. Not the best, but certainly not bad!

2-2 Arcanine RR: Similar to Houndoom variants, simply set on the bench and then if need be attack using Burn Out for quick damage.

Conclusion: Well I appreciate each of you that took the time to read through this, and I know how many feel about developing decks that contain cards unreleased stateside. I feel that as long as you test properly and accommodate for upcoming decks and edits to the current decks such as trainers/supporters/new techs/etc, there is zero downside to starting early. With the amount of time I spend testing and editing, I need to start as early as possible, and this specific build has been made for almost 1 month now with AoA Zard builds dating back 2 months. This build is looking to be very well rounded. I welcome any comments/suggestions, just remember to make it constructive and to follow-up with support to your suggestion. Thanks!

Adam

BIG EDIT COMING UPON RELEASE OF HGSS!

Last edited:
This is a very good article. I like how the article shows how the Charizard deck works. I think after reading this article, one might consider using Charizard for CCs or other tournaments.

I must say that I disagree with your Gardevoir/Weavile matchup. After playing Gardevoir/Weavile since States, I have put together a very solid build with Dusknoir. That could have some problems with your bench, and then Gardevoir uses Psychic Lock to make it very difficult to get what Dusknoir Dark Palms back into your hand. Plus, with Expert Belt out, Gardevoir will 2HKO Charizard, and Charizard will 2HKO Gardevoir. I run my deck with Pokehealers, so between the Pokehealers and Psychic Lock it would be difficult to keep the energy cycling in your hand to use Charizard's second attack. So my matchups, in my opinion, are:

Like you described in the article: 55-45 Charizard's favor
With Dusknoir: 50-50 Even
With Dusknoir and Pokehealers: 55-45 Gardevoir/Weavile

No matter what Gardevoir/Weavile techs, it will still be a pretty much even matchup. Just something that you might consider putting in that matchup...

This is a very solid point, as I have not played against a Gardy build with healers.

Dusknoir is a problem but should be played around to avoid something crucial being dark palmed back. What happens usually in the case of Dnoir, is that you should play 2-3 fire (hopefully claydol gets palmed back so you can play the 3rd fire type. This allows you to OHKO Gardy with Zard's Burning Tail. Either way, as you said close matchup that is played off of setup and skill. Thanks for the analysis!

This is a very solid point, as I have not played against a Gardy build with healers.

Dusknoir is a problem but should be played around to avoid something crucial being dark palmed back. What happens usually in the case of Dnoir, is that you should play 2-3 fire (hopefully claydol gets palmed back so you can play the 3rd fire type. This allows you to OHKO Gardy with Zard's Burning Tail. Either way, as you said close matchup that is played off of setup and skill. Thanks for the analysis!

You're welcome. One thing to add to that- a smart player would Dark Palm a benched Fire-type, because with Psychic Lock after Psychic Lock, Claydol would just become a bench-sitter. And I forgot to mention that I think that you should put in 2 Ninetales AoA instead of Ninetales SF, because I don't think that 60 to a benched Pokemon is going to be absolutely necessary when most of the time you're OHKOing active Pokemon with Zard's Burning Tail. And Palkia G with Lucario GL in play gives this deck huge problems, so 2 Ninetales AoA would help out a lot against that especially if your only AoA Ninetales is prized. Chances are they will Power Spray Azelf once they run out of Mesprits.

Edit: sorry, I meant Rapidash instead of Ninetales. Whenever I think of a Stage 1 Fire Pokemon, I think of Ninetales...

Last edited:
Very Nice Article!
Wow it never occured to me how good it really is.........nice job man!
Thanks!
You're welcome. One thing to add to that- a smart player would Dark Palm a benched Fire-type, because with Psychic Lock after Psychic Lock, Claydol would just become a bench-sitter. And I forgot to mention that I think that you should put in 2 Ninetales AoA instead of Ninetales SF, because I don't think that 60 to a benched Pokemon is going to be absolutely necessary when most of the time you're OHKOing active Pokemon with Zard's Burning Tail. And Palkia G with Lucario GL in play gives this deck huge problems, so 2 Ninetales AoA would help out a lot against that especially if your only AoA Ninetales is prized. Chances are they will Power Spray Azelf once they run out of Mesprits.

I couldn't agree more. I know you are referring to Rapidash and not Ninetales, although I wanted to make that clear to others reading. Back when I first put this together I was using 2 AoA Rapidash, but as I would test, I found myself only needing to stall enough to call for 1. As I am continuing to play more though, I hate dropping an Azelf just to grab the 1 prized AoA to stall SP's; therefore I am going to be going back to 2 AoA. Thanks for the input!

I would wait for the set to be released before i even put this together because Battle Roads start this weekend....Plus your palkia match up is less than 40 percent it's more like 20 at best...because of their ability to repeatedly lock your powers and spread damage, then snipe anything you attempt to build on the bench. you'll never get more than 1-2 prizes

I would just drop the azelf for a second rapidash and go with a 2-2/1 line of rapidash.
I like the idea. However in most cases its nice just to have azelf in case you had an anomaly such as 3 Zard's prized. But I will certainly look into trying it out in some battles.
I would wait for the set to be released before i even put this together because Battle Roads start this weekend....Plus your palkia match up is less than 40 percent it's more like 20 at best...because of their ability to repeatedly lock your powers and spread damage, then snipe anything you attempt to build on the bench. you'll never get more than 1-2 prizes
Well I like the deck no matter what BR displays and waiting for the set means less time to practice with and that does not make much sense. As for Palkia, his matchup is very accurate to what the standard lock deck runs. He can not do anything to Rapidash but snipe my bench which requires the discard of 2 water. I can do consistent damage with Rapidash quicker than Palkia can ruin my bench. There have been a few battles that I have been locked early and could use the non-shiny AoA Ponyta which searches for an evolution and places it onto Ponyta and I am currently discussing switching that in for setup purposes. Thanks though!

Sorry to say this but your gengar match up is completely off because of the fact that the X has a solid a ttack which deals damage on already damaged pokemon and the fact that nidoqueen does solid damage in general while healing between turns which makes it a lot harder to win against

Sorry to say this but your gengar match up is completely off because of the fact that the X has a solid a ttack which deals damage on already damaged pokemon and the fact that nidoqueen does solid damage in general while healing between turns which makes it a lot harder to win against

Assuming they attach 3 energy to power Gengar X, many will tech just for the power. As for Nidoqueen, sure she does 40 (more with EB) but I have yet to be seriously setback by Nidoqueen when Charizard is just as fast and can move beyond 40 damage for 1 energy. But if you have a solid build with Gengar X actually as your main attacker, by all means talk to me.

Adam

I like the idea. However in most cases its nice just to have azelf in case you had an anomaly such as 3 Zard's prized. But I will certainly look into trying it out in some battles.

Well I like the deck no matter what BR displays and waiting for the set means less time to practice with and that does not make much sense. As for Palkia, his matchup is very accurate to what the standard lock deck runs. He can not do anything to Rapidash but snipe my bench which requires the discard of 2 water. I can do consistent damage with Rapidash quicker than Palkia can ruin my bench. There have been a few battles that I have been locked early and could use the non-shiny AoA Ponyta which searches for an evolution and places it onto Ponyta and I am currently discussing switching that in for setup purposes. Thanks though!

If thats your thinking then you should start building decks for states based on the HGSS scans...why stop at cities...
And as far as your rapiddash... it wont do much because Palkia...and most SP decks still run Skuntank for decks like gengar and beedrill...
so I would just posion your rapidash spread to your bench, then
poketurn my palkia and let uxie hit you for a easy prize while sill keeping the lock, and since you only run a 1/1 line, i'll take a few more prizes while you attempt to fish it out of the discard...and thats if you can get it up and out fast enough with out powers...cause you're locked for the first 3-4 turns of the game

Rapidash is a a nice stall but so many ways around it...like a simple warp point
i would suggest dropping it for exploud, youd have a better chance

If thats your thinking then you should start building decks for states based on the HGSS scans...why stop at cities...
And as far as your rapiddash... it wont do much because Palkia...and most SP decks still run Skuntank for decks like gengar and beedrill...
so I would just posion your rapidash spread to your bench, then
poketurn my palkia and let uxie hit you for a easy prize while sill keeping the lock, and since you only run a 1/1 line, i'll take a few more prizes while you attempt to fish it out of the discard...and thats if you can get it up and out fast enough with out powers...cause you're locked for the first 3-4 turns of the game

Rapidash is a a nice stall but so many ways around it...like a simple warp point
i would suggest dropping it for exploud, youd have a better chance

Hmmm, well I never mentioned cities in anything I have said so I really am not sure what you are referring to. As for the rest of that rant, it sounds solid in theory, but theory will only get you so far. If you want to play with this deck and come back after some play tests and tell me "how matches are supposed to go" then be my guest. And as for exploud, how about I go ahead and not add a non fire type that takes away from the 1 strategy Zard has going for him...his adding of power via BENCHED FIRE. lol I am trying to work with what little is given to me man, please instead of cutting the deck down piece by piece, try to provide substitutes that compliment. Thanks.

Last edited:
Seems good so far being Mono :fire:, Cherrim SF would be really good with Charizard AoA due to Sunny Day but the problem is how to incorporate the deck into being both :grass: and :fire:. If you're splashing :grass: for just Cherrim in the deck it'd be hard to utilize probably...

hey calisupra2nr im happy for you ima let you finish but i just wanted to say dark charizard was the best charizard of ALL TIME

I'd love to see this Zard in combination with Blaze PL and Blaze FB. Might be a tech heavy line but boy, can you keep the damage output high and the Energy requirement low with that and it doesn't get hurt as much by Body Shutdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back