Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

E3 Discussion Thread

Regis_Neo

Surprised no one made this, unless I overlooked it...

Anyways, kind of a slow first day imo, biggest news I've seen is Halo 4; it certainly doesn't look like the loss of Bungie will make it any less epic if the that trailer has anything to say about it. Sony's conference is apparently underway or something still, otherwise not much Sony news (not that I expect there to be too much besides a lot of apologizing on their part for that PSN fiasco). Haven't watched the Microsoft one yet...

So yeah, feel free to share any exciting news or updates! Nintendo's conference isn't till tomorrow, but it should be exciting to see if their new system is just an updated Wii or something more.

Vita just won E3. That was an incredible demonstration of the abilities of the unit and its connectivity with both present and potential future consoles. I was particularly impressed with the Diablo clone they demo'd, but everything else was also fantastic. I was skeptical about the rear touch pad, but it looks like they've got developers on board with unique ways of using it, like those mountains during the racing demo. The touch screen looks to be even better than the one Nintendo uses, just based on the demos I saw at the press conference. And having a true current-gen console-like control scheme is unprecedented for a handheld. I see a lot of "casual" games being ported there from the DS lines simply because Sony has historically been easy to develop games for, and though you can't have a true 1-to-1 conversion, it will be close enough for most developers that it won't matter.

Nintendo had better blow us away with their Project Cafe presentation tomorrow. Because Sony has stolen E3 thus far.

it's a bit early to say that Vita just won e3.. it's nice though, I like it's concept, except I don't think having a second analog stick on a handheld is necessary, one will do just fine since there is a touch screen and touch pad. jussayin.

if the rumors are true.. project cafe is basically going to be like multiple PS Vitas, but also a home console. if it really turns out to be controllers with screens on 'em, and if they price the controllers right, it'll blow psVita out of the water when it comes to families wanting to get 4. 4 vitas = $1000. project cafe.. I'll be generous and price it at $500 (which is likely higher than what Nintendo would price it at) with a controller, then each extra controller being say, $75. so.. about $800 for 4 controllers and the console that will likely be the same as 4 vitas. minus the actual portability of it all.

downside: nintendo will be looked at as copying sony. then it'll cause a fanboy war of who copied who.

Microsoft had a standard presentation IMO. Gears 3 is cool, live tv is cool, but Kinnect is still wonky.

so, yes, so far Sony winning E3 with Vita. but as far as exclusive titles for the home console, I think Microsoft won today.

Oh man. Oh man. I CANNOT WAIT FOR VITA!!!! This is the most I've ever been impressed by Sony so far. I'm especially for Uncharted 3 to be on Vita. Other then Vita nothing much as caught my attention. I am looking forward to Project Cafe and I have high hopes for Nintendo. Although I really want a Vita more then a 3DS, and I only said that because I haven't bought a 3DS yet.
~Cyber~

Sony's conference was completely hit and miss for me. The Vita was very cool, but it really wasn't what I wanted. It is surely a hand-held done right. The starting lineup is amazing, and the features are top-of-the-line, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The features are somewhat unimportant for me IMO. This is a much better handheld than what the 3DS currently is. Even so, a lot of it was just dull for me. It has too many features that I'm not gonna use to worthy its price tag. First off, I'm never gonna use the phone. The fact that it only works on AT&T is just lame. Secondly, all of the connection to the PS3 isn't important to me (As I don't have one). The games look awesome, but they seem to emphasize things that I don't love. I want good, gaming. They kept emphasizing the new features that I fear they've forgotten about difficult gaming. 6-axis and touch pads are cool, but I am still waiting until I see a game that impresses me (the games they showed were very good, but not console selling IMO). IDK... much better than 3DS, but still not worth buying from the get-go IMO

The rest of the Sony show left me feeling alienated. I feel like the one person on this planet who is sick of motion controls and doesn't care a bit about 3D. They kept emphasizing the Move and the 3D that I could not care about their products. I don't want either, so I feel that I am not the target audience. The games were on par with the other conferences, but eh.

Microsoft's conference was nothing special. It did not impress nor disappoint. They had cool games, and good presentations, but I wanted something to make my jaw drop. I lul'd at the controller error at the beginning. It was good, but not amazing.

E3 is ready for Nintendo! Nintendo has a lot to gain, and a lot to lose. They can really impress if they do their Cafe stuff right. If it isn't a great product, they can really be a disappointment. I am trying to remain neutral until I see the conference, but this year's E3 is Nintendo's for the taking. Nintendo just has to perform. They have A LOT to present (I hope), and most of it should (hopefully) hit home. I expect reasons to buy the 3DS and full knowledge about what the Cafe is and how it works. COME ON NINTENDO! You got this

Supposedly the new controller for new nintendo system is a touch screen controller. "It seems that the new console will indeed be controlled by a device featuring a six-inch touchscreen at its center. The controller will also feature traditional buttons as well as the tablet-style screen.

The controller will also feature a camera which could be used for things such as creating avatars based on players' own faces or augmented reality applications.

According to the report, the controller will also double as an independent portable games system as well as being able to stream media from Project Café to itself."
Source: Nikkei via Gamepro; http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/219937/report-confirms-touch-screen-controller-for-wii-2/

Sony's conference was completely hit and miss for me. The Vita was very cool, but it really wasn't what I wanted. It is surely a hand-held done right. The starting lineup is amazing, and the features are top-of-the-line, but it doesn't really appeal to me. The features are somewhat unimportant for me IMO. This is a much better handheld than what the 3DS currently is. Even so, a lot of it was just dull for me. It has too many features that I'm not gonna use to worthy its price tag. First off, I'm never gonna use the phone. The fact that it only works on AT&T is just lame. Secondly, all of the connection to the PS3 isn't important to me (As I don't have one). The games look awesome, but they seem to emphasize things that I don't love. I want good, gaming. They kept emphasizing the new features that I fear they've forgotten about difficult gaming. 6-axis and touch pads are cool, but I am still waiting until I see a game that impresses me (the games they showed were very good, but not console selling IMO). IDK... much better than 3DS, but still not worth buying from the get-go IMO

The rest of the Sony show left me feeling alienated. I feel like the one person on this planet who is sick of motion controls and doesn't care a bit about 3D. They kept emphasizing the Move and the 3D that I could not care about their products. I don't want either, so I feel that I am not the target audience. The games were on par with the other conferences, but eh.

Microsoft's conference was nothing special. It did not impress nor disappoint. They had cool games, and good presentations, but I wanted something to make my jaw drop. I lul'd at the controller error at the beginning. It was good, but not amazing.

E3 is ready for Nintendo! Nintendo has a lot to gain, and a lot to lose. They can really impress if they do their Cafe stuff right. If it isn't a great product, they can really be a disappointment. I am trying to remain neutral until I see the conference, but this year's E3 is Nintendo's for the taking. Nintendo just has to perform. They have A LOT to present (I hope), and most of it should (hopefully) hit home. I expect reasons to buy the 3DS and full knowledge about what the Cafe is and how it works. COME ON NINTENDO! You got this

You're not the only one left out regarding Move/3D...I mean, seriously how many people even own a 3d TV, let alone want to wear those ridiculous glasses for it? And what serious gamer would use like the Move and/or shooter accessory for any serious online gaming? Yet I guess they have to look trendy in order to retain casuals...that being said, Sony shouldn't forget it's built largely on the more hardcore/non-casual market, so yeah...

As for the Vita...well, besides the fact the price tag pretty much sucks, it's impressive in some ways, unimpressive in other. Dual analogs will definitely make a difference, given how awkward games feel on the PSP without then, it will be more than welcomed. The touch screen, depends, if it's done right like the iPod Touch, they it will be great; if it's the same clunky junk Nintendo uses, it will bomb. All that augmented reality junk I couldn't care less about as well with the cameras, though depending on the mpeg, could be good for taking normal pics. I also dread what that 3G price would cost, especially if it's only AT&T (for now, I fully expect unlocked ones to hit the street as well eventually). Hate to say it, but it's likely gonna crash and burn, it won't dethrone Nintendo handhelds, which are already losing market share to the iPod Touch/Phone anyways. Doomed to be 2nd/3rd forever, depending on if you count iPod as a gaming handheld device...

That being said, Nintendo, impress me.

my most anticipated game of the last 3 years...Elder Scrolls Skyrim. Did anyone watch the gameplay? OMG Looks so amazing, over 300 hours of gameplay? Good bye social life haha.

My biggest dissapointment was for the new brothers in arms game. Finally a WWII FPS game, seems like forever, but wait, it looks terrible. As many people know, game companies have abandoned, if you will, the WWII video games. Some of the greatest FPS of all time (in my opinion) are WWII games. COD2 for xbox360, when that was one of the games released with the xbox when it first came out, my friends and I were up all night playing it. Im not too big into the MWF, Im a big history buff which is why I appreciate WWII Games more.

Any who, I was not dissapointed with todays E3. Halo 4, Elder Scrolls, Star Wars The Old Republic, Ghost Recon on the Kinect. Cant wait for day 2 and day 3. :biggrin:

I' just hyped for Halo 4!
I want to see how 343 can resume the Halo franchise without screwing it up. It will be very interesting.
Rest of Microsoft was pretty bad. I don't think they're gaining much from Kinect unlike Nintendo did with the Wii.
As for Sony... meh. Nothing much for me. Though I must admit the Vita is very nice. BUt I'd rather get my 3DS just because I can play pogeymanz, OoT, Metroid Prime Hunters and other games which pwn.

Vita is not a phone. It has no phone technology inside it. What the partnership with AT&T is for is the 3G wireless internet network. I'm interested to see whether the 3G version of the handheld will also require a contract with AT&T to enable the 3G network. If it does, I'm not touching that one.

I should have waited for the Nintendo conference. But, currently, the Vita has a superior launch window game lineup than the 3DS. And that's going to shape people's perceptions about the system. Right now, the 3DS only really has one good original game that I've heard about. Everything else is a port or a remake. Incredibly good ports and remakes (OoT is a system-seller), but ports and remakes just the same.

But let's wait another 2 hours and see what Nintendo can come up with. For the sake of this board, let's hope it's something cool.

Maybe Sony will release something this time around that can't be hacked so easily..........

Vita is not a phone. It has no phone technology inside it. What the partnership with AT&T is for is the 3G wireless internet network. I'm interested to see whether the 3G version of the handheld will also require a contract with AT&T to enable the 3G network. If it does, I'm not touching that one.

I should have waited for the Nintendo conference. But, currently, the Vita has a superior launch window game lineup than the 3DS. And that's going to shape people's perceptions about the system. Right now, the 3DS only really has one good original game that I've heard about. Everything else is a port or a remake. Incredibly good ports and remakes (OoT is a system-seller), but ports and remakes just the same.

But let's wait another 2 hours and see what Nintendo can come up with. For the sake of this board, let's hope it's something cool.

Unless Sony was able to get some really awesome partnership with AT&T, the 3G version will require some sort of subscription fee. Nintendo was going to release a 3G model of the 3DS but was only going to do it, if they were able to do it for free similar to what Kindles can do. So, this leads me to believe the 3G will cost some dough.

And yes, the 3DS really needs some good game support right now. I know that Nintendo wanted to space out the releases so there is a drought but... There is kinda one right now. I can only play SS4 for so long!

Pokemon fans are disappoint. :/ Only announcement was a game we already have? Bad, bad.

Wii U just blew my mind. :D Video chat? Yes please! Also, my family is constantly butting in any time I try to play a console game on the big screen. The switching to the smaller screen will really, really help.

Anyone thinking price point on the Wii U here? My guess is $399-$449, though it'd be nice if it were $349.

3DS is finally getting some good games! Zelda next week, and a slew of (Okay, 5) new games announced. Mario Kart having hang gliding + submarine modes is fun. Squids in 3D could be just awesome.

I'll speculate on the price of Wii-U when I've got the technical details for the system.

The controller by itself will probably retail for $50, minimum.

A new Super Smash Brothers game is coming out on the new Nintendo WiiU and on the 3DS?!?!?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Last edited:
I think Nintendo stole another E3. there are alot of gamers that are hardcore Nintendo fans, and have felt left out and forgotten by the big N. but with all this 3rd party support coming back, it's going to be awesome. no more playstation/xbox only games, they'll now have a wii u version, that will have better graphics and better/more control options. if it costs $350ish, playstation vita will fail. you'll get the almost same thing (aside from actual portability) from wii u, in a cheaper all around price if you've got multiple gamers that will want to get multiple controllers.

PS3 does 3D and can use the Vita as a controller, 3DS has 3D and will be able to be used as a controller (no games listed yet) for the wii u. basically the same functionality IMO. also, who else thinks the 3DS will drop to $200 as soon as the Vita comes out? now that a DSlite is now like $80.

excited, assassin's creed!

I kinda think the opposite. Sony won this year's E3 with the Vita, though it was only just barely over Nintendo's presentation. However, Nintendo has set itself up perfectly for next year, when they actually have floor games for the WiiU.

Vita being a standalone console is a major plus. The correct positioning of the interface buttons should not go overlooked. The touch screen seemed to be responsive in the demos, and the rear touch pad looks to be a nice little innovation. It also helps that the unit seems to be as powerful as a PS3, believe it or not. At least, the images that I saw looked comparable to those produced by the PS3.

Most importantly to me, the Vita had live demonstrations on the stage that actually worked the way the developers wanted them to work. That racing demo was fantastic, the Diablo clone had the appropriate amount of carnage along with PS3 connectivity, and I thought I might actually enjoy a shooting game after they demo'd Uncharted. Never underestimate the power of live demonstrations.

That's not to discount Nintendo's production. The orchestra was a nice touch, one that I wish they would have continued throughout the entire presentation. But, outside of the WiiU announcements, there wasn't much in there that we didn't already know about beforehand. Link's Awakening was speculated about, and I'm actually surprised that there WASN'T a Zelda compilation game announced. A couple of gaming franchises that I don't particularly care about on 3DS. Yes, WiiU is a significant announcement. But without the live demos, it feels like only half an announcement.

Sony won this year. But, barring a PS4 announcement (which I think is at least 3 years away), they can not possibly win next year. Same with Microsoft, although I think their Xbox720 announcement might come a little bit sooner than Sony. Next year is Nintendo's stage completely to sink or swim.

^Next year will definitely be telling for Nintendo. If the WiiU gets a shoddy launch like the 3DS did, even the amazingness of the new features won't help. :/ I mean really, no one was like "OH YES! NINTENCATS! PILOTWINGS! THIS IS SO AWESOMZZZZZ!"

Honestly, I think they should have held back the 3DS' launch until at least Zelda Ocarina 3D was ready, so they could have had at least one iconic game available. Not to mention having the Shop ready for the launch.

Also, I completely agree about the orchestra. I want to hear them do Mario songs....

Also, I completely agree about the orchestra. I want to hear them do Mario songs....

But you got that Parrot to do the Mario song...

Other than that. I am not completely sold yet on the Vita. The only reason being is because the PSP failed. At the time the graphics looked amzing compared to the DS's but the playability is what makes it count. I haven't really seen much gameplay from Vita so far but I will have to for me to make an appropiate judgement of it. It is innovative though.

I hoped for Nintendo to reveal more of WiiU but sadly they didn't. They didn't even show a 1st party game for it. The 3ds should have more newly announced games, but I am still satisfied especially with Luigi's Mansion 2.

Back