Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BW-on Hydreigon Darkrai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly overdone, yes, but I am tired of losing to Darkrai variants with my Eel deck. So I trying something new.

Pokemon

3 Darkrai EX
3-1-3 Hydreigon (Dark Trance)
3 Sableye
2 Mewtwo EX
1 Shaymin EX
1 Keldeo Ex

T/S/S

4 Professor Juniper
3 N
3 Skyla
3 Ultra Ball
3 Rare Candy
3 Max Potion
3 Pokemon Catcher
3 Dark Patch
1 Computer Search
1 Tool Scrapper
1 Random Reciever
2 Eviolite
2 Energy Search

Energy

3 Blend :grass::fire::psychic::dark:
8 Dark

Strategy: In the opening turns, lead with Sableye. If you do not have one, get one. Abuse trainers and Sableye's Junk Hunt to set up. Ideally, you'll want to have a Hydreigon set up by T2 or T3. Hyreigon's ability allows energy to pass between all your guys on the field and with a Darkrai on the bench, everyone has free retreat. Everybody uses the same energy to attack and they can be moved around at your will. Max Potion is a nice card to have because you can avoid the cost of discarding all your energy. Energy Search is for the opening turns if I am struggling. Mewtwo is for Keldeo. Keldeo is for Landorus and Shaymin is for Terrakion.

With 3 skyla, 2 energy search seems a bit much to me. You might want to max out one of your key techs, such as catcher, dark patch, or max potion (based on how you play)

Random reciever is kind of irrelevant with skyla, again, but maybe try replacing it with another N for consistency.

Also try swapping eviolite for dark claw, i'm not really saying one is much better than another but with two whole mewtwo, eviolite is probably better right now.

When I built my deck for Hydreigon Darkrai, i removed all tech Pokemon except Darkrai, Hydreigon, and Sableye. I played a few matches, figured out how/why I lost, and teched from there. What I'm trying to say is you have a lot of techs, all of which are good techs but you might want to pare down their usefulness.

Also there's a variety of Deino/Zwelious that's good to use, so maybe specify which ones you intend to use.

You have an awesome list here. Only minor suggestions for you and they aren't even necessary:

- 1 Mewtwo Ex

+ 1 Dark Claw

P.S. The random receiver is a nice play as you can junk hunt it out with Sableye. Keep it in!

You have an awesome list here. Only minor suggestions for you and they aren't even necessary:

- 1 Mewtwo Ex

+ 1 Dark Claw

P.S. The random receiver is a nice play as you can junk hunt it out with Sableye. Keep it in!

I think it's really just personal choice, lol

Dark claw is excellent however.

Thanks for the replies. I think I will make the switch to Dark Claw. I like the energy search because I can use it to grab an energy I plan on discarding, then just Dark Patch it on. It catches people off guard and is useful in case of a drought. I know that I am a little heavy on the techs, but they are necessary. With the release of Landy, Darkrai is going to have a lot more problems. Keldeo may not be the perfect tech because it doesn't clean him out in one shot, but he can take any kind of energy and can revenge well. The same goes with Shaymin. The only problem is that it is too frail. I might consider keeping the Eviolite for Shaymin, but for now I will test Claw.

-2 Eviolite

+2 Dark Claw

Anything Else?

---------- Post added 01/06/2013 at 06:28 PM ----------

I am using the Deep Growl Deino, I have no dark left. As soon as I get some more, I will switch one or two for the dark type. That way I won't get donked as easily. I am running the Draw In Zweilous as well.

Last edited:
I mean the techs are fine, but my personal experience for Hydreigon/Darkrai is to test first, then add techs. I had Mewtwo EX in my deck for a long time, thinking it was great bc it countered mewtwos... But my area had tons of sigilyph and thus my own sigilyph was really a better play, although mewtwo seemed great.

I play hydreigon and eviolite over dark claw every time (the extra attack doesn't help as much as taking less damage).
- 2 energy search
- 1 mewtwo (4 techs is a bit much for a deck this tight)
- 3 blend energies

+ 1 skyla
+2 random reciever (really helps with consistancy and draw power with N and Juniper)
+ 3 Prism energies (to attack for 110 with keldeo, works with mewtwo and shaymin too, just be careful you don't play it onto zwelious or hydreigon)

You also play 17 pokemon and this deck is normally played with 4 special energies (blends or prisms) and 9 dark. I really like techs in this deck, but maybe try adding more energies and cutting your techs down to two. 1 Mewtwo and shaymin (blends)/keldeo (prisms) is what I would probably try first. Also, I started playing 4-0-3 line of hydreigon because of the amount of search that you can do with this deck to set up hydreigon T2 and that opened up room for another skyla. Level ball can be great in setting up hydreigon too.

I like the blend in here. It is energy for Hydreigon to attack dragons and other targets with higher levels of HP. If I switch to prism only Shaymin can abuse it. However I think I will try maxing out Skyla to set up faster. You are also probably right about the number of techs in here, I do run a lot. 2 Mewtwo is just personal preference, but I can try dropping it down to one. The thing that bothers me the most is that you suggest using Keldeo with prism. I really am not down to add another energy type (sorry, but I will not drop the blend), or cut Keldeo from the list. It has become too much of a staple, especially with Landy running around. So here are the changes I did make:

-1 Zweilous
-1 Mewtwo
-2 Dark Claw

+1 Dieno (anytype)
+1 Skyla
+2 Eviolite

Ok played this deck a lot and feel like I have a very good grasp on this deck. My major points-

• Keep te blends. I love attacking with Hydreigon and feel I might as well play Klinklang if I play prisms.

• two Mewtwo is good. Everyone has been bumping up there Mewtwo counts as of late. It definitely helps you in a Mewtwo war.

• Energy search isn't needed. You play 11 energy. You will almost always get energies when you need them.

• Your supporter count is a little too low. If you play a RR and then play a supporter you lose 2 supporters right off the bat. I never really have one I the discard when I need to junk hunt for it.

• I suggest an entirely new supporter line. I prefer Bianca.

So basically,

- 2 energy search
- 1 Random Receiver

+ 2 Bianca
+ 1 Catcher (I live 4 of these)

I got second at a cities with a list very similar to yours.

No, I totally understand. I personally like attacking with hydreigon when something like rayquaza pops up, I've just seen people try decks with the keldeo tech and prisms. The advantage for hydreigon over klingklang is the dark patch and junk hunt. I play four blends and four dragon dienos. It was just a suggestion as you are using keldeo, prisms let keldeo really deal damage.

No, I totally understand. I personally like attacking with hydreigon when something like rayquaza pops up, I've just seen people try decks with the keldeo tech and prisms. The advantage for hydreigon over klingklang is the dark patch and junk hunt. I play four blends and four dragon dienos. It was just a suggestion as you are using keldeo, prisms let keldeo really deal damage.

Keldeo is actually for two things. It helps your prize trade with Landorus and is a self switch. I have just realized the deck needs 2 Mewtwo. I learn something new every day.

QUESTION: about those techs.... im not sure. shouldn't you focus on maybe a little less considering you're not running a toolbox deck?

Darkrai techs should really be fine-tuned to the local level. I personally feel like the techs all have similar traits, yet are different. For me, I decided that some combinations of techs are too much-2 to 3 will cover most of the meta so if you have a couple slots you can fine tune from there. If you drop the techs entirely, you will get an ideal set up that much faster but lose to Pokemon like Mewtwo, Terrakion, and Landorus.

I will say that Darkrai is a pretty good Mewtwo counter on his own, if he gets a T1 Night spear on a mewtwo, Mewtwo (generally) could only do 80 back... Which isn't half a KO anx can be Max or Gold Potion'd away. Of course, this is an ideal scenario, but Darkrai can stand up fairly well without a big number of psychic counters.

Terrakion and Landorus are my biggest worries at the moment, that is why I run both Shaymin and Keldeo. Keldeo has become almost a staple of this deck, with its ability to switch my guys out of special conditions and its prize trading ability with Landy. Shaymin has not seen much play, and even when it does, it is too frail to do much good. In my area, Landy is a bit more popular so I think will drop the Shaymin. What should I add in its place?

i also is having problems withe terrakion and landours but not having eviolite affect alot to the match ups. dark claw is great but doesnt help that much

What I was getting at was that prisms would let you darktrance set up a one turn keldeo for OHKO on landy or a one turn Terrakion for Darkrai. The only advantage to blends is that hydreigon can use them, but ideally, hydreigon should never leave the bench. I know that people use prisms and it has been successful but I don't know what the proportion of people who have played hydreigon prisms to the hydreigon prisms in the winner circle.

One of the main reasons why I would even consider attacking with Hydreigon is to get around Sigilyph. Sure, I could probably tech something else in for it and add prism, but it makes no sense to take a job away from Hydreigon that it already does so well.

If your opponent plays Darkrai/Terrakion and has set up a retaliate to knock out your Darkrai are you going to leave it up there? No, you send it up, catcher that Terrakion, and give it a dragonblast.

I would think about playing a 4th dark patch or another dark since you run a relatively low amount of energy for a deck that relies on manipulating energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back