Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Increased PM Space

AnUnown

I'm not sure where to post this, but since another forum change thread was also posted in this forum, I figured here is as good as any.

I also posted a while back in the private area and never got a response. Can we get a PM increase? For folks who trade and keep PMs as a record (and sometimes as evidence), it really does get hard keeping your PM count down. I'm forever deleting sent PMs, and making sure I quote a big conversation in a reply so that when the response comes in I continue to have a record and can go back and delete earlier PMs.

Is there a reason why the limit is so low? Is there something we can do to get them increased? Perhaps a "supporter" member level, or something that happens when you have X itrader etc?

I know everyone hates the comparison to pokebeach, but I barely trade over there, have 139 messages and am only using 12% of my allotted space. Here?

You have 47 messages stored, of a total 50 allowed.

I of course go back and clean out convos, but there are some PMs you want to keep for various reasons, and as those increase, you start to bump up against that ceiling more and more often.

Here are a listing of reasons why this would make sense:
  • Traders PM back and forth often to make a deal and often need to keep PMs to keep track of trades, addresses etc
  • Forum games require a lot of back and forth PMing. While moderators and admins have larger boxes, the players do not and can often use much of their space going back and forth with game updates. It's not always feasible to constantly search for uneeded PMs and delete just to receive the next message.
  • Saving PMs offline, while possible, is very inconvenient -- especially for those who do a lot of posting from mobile devices (Android, iOS, iPad and other devices with tapatalk installed), where it then becomes fairly impossible
  • The 50 limit is fairly small compared to other forums (some smaller) in general and especially in the pokemon community.

Last edited:
Not good enough or what? You download them and they can be gone from your pm box. Problem solved.

Right, to one location, so if I need to pull up something and I'm not home (or at whatever PC I downloaded to), they're not available.

It's a solution, yes, not ideal, but a solution. I guess I was more shaking my head at the first response being along the lines of what seems to have become the norm. Users ask for change, staff finds way to ignore change.

Would bumping the PM limit REALLY make a difference? I just cleared out 170,000 entries from a table on one of my servers and the space used went down 8MB.

Any way, if this is not going to be considered, it's fine. You're right, I can just download them.

Not good enough or what? You download them and they can be gone from your pm box. Problem solved.

Imagine your work e-mail only had room for 50 messages total (inbox, sent folder, and archives). That would be pretty damn annoying, even if you could download all your messages into a personal storage folder.

Imagine your work e-mail only had room for 50 messages total (inbox, sent folder, and archives). That would be pretty damn annoying, even if you could download all your messages into a personal storage folder.

Bad example. This is your work is it?

Come on man, you're just being pedantic now, which just reinforces what I've seen about the staff always resisting change. It's like a resisting for the sake of resisting too. "There's no real reason why this shouldn't happen, but screw it, it doesn't need to happen!"

Fine, it's your personal email and you can only keep 50 messages. Which do you keep? It would be like Facebook saying you could only have 10 chats at a time or something. Sure, I could delete some messages or screenshot and save them... But why?

The message download functionality is a nice feature, but it's not exactly intended to "solve the problem" that exists here.

Bad example. This is your work is it?

It was a great example. You could replace the word "work" with "personal" and my example would be equally appropriate.

One of the consequences of having friends is that I get an average of 20 new e-mails in my personal inbox. I would hate to have to download my personal e-mails to my computer every 2+ days.

I would love more PM space. It would be easier trading and selling for sure. However, if you get PMs sent to your email address you now have proof of trades/sales ect.

I happen to agree, I would love more PM space.

The "download" feature is nearly useless to me, I do 99% of my trading from my Ipad/Droid. I know that other people do this as well. Even if we could just have it so that we could store 75 or 100 PMs, it would still be much better. I do a whole lot of trading, and it is a pain to only be able to save 50 PMs. There are other good reasons to have more PM space. Is there any reason having more PM space would be bad? Would it be harmful to the website? I fail to see why having more PM space would be bad.

I'm not sure where to post this, but since another forum change thread was also posted in this forum, I figured here is as good as any.

I also posted a while back in the private area and never got a response. Can we get a PM increase? For folks who trade and keep PMs as a record (and sometimes as evidence), it really does get hard keeping your PM count down. I'm forever deleting sent PMs, and making sure I quote a big conversation in a reply so that when the response comes in I continue to have a record and can go back and delete earlier PMs.

Is there a reason why the limit is so low? Is there something we can do to get them increased? Perhaps a "supporter" member level, or something that happens when you have X itrader etc?

I know everyone hates the comparison to pokebeach, but I barely trade over there, have 139 messages and am only using 12% of my allotted space. Here?

I of course go back and clean out convos, but there are some PMs you want to keep for various reasons, and as those increase, you start to bump up against that ceiling more and more often.

My suggestion is to go back into that thread you started in TCH and bump it up. While the members can only see what they have personally started, there are thousands of topics in that forum. It is easy for things to get lost in the shuffle.

Personally I agree that 50 PMs is really low. Before I was part of the Staff, I also did a lot of trading (I still do) and I found it to be tough to keep up with the PM issue of running out of space all the time. I liked keeping them, just for the same reasons that you have listed.

I don't see the other Staff that are posting here as being resistant to the change, just pointing out some other options.

If you bump your topic there, hopefully they will see it again and can consider it.

In this case, you have my support, not that that really means much.

I have brought this case up 4 times in the suggestions forum before getting a response and then PM'd an administrator and still got no response. I agree with what is being said.

Another option is sellers or even traders get their inboxes bumped up.

I don't see the other Staff that are posting here as being resistant to the change, just pointing out some other options.

Examples:

there is a 'download' option for PMs....

The ellipsis used in SD Pokemon's message informs the reader that she is using an aposiopesis to demonstrate a tone of condescension. That's what caused AnUnown to refer to himself shaking his head. He figuratively shook his head because her tone was dismissive. A moderately un-naive individual would interpret her message as if she was saying "There is a 'download' option for PMs... so why do you bother to make this post?"

evil psyduck starts with a rhetorical question, indirectly commenting that AnUnown should be satisfied with the current system. evil psyduck's post exudes a sense of self-superiority, whether he intends to or not. It seems as if he is taking a "You don't like it? Too bad" type of attitude toward AnUnown's suggestion, despite the fact that he and SD Pokemom are the only two individuals in this thread who have expressed negative feelings about it.

These posts by SD Pokemom and evil psyduck further entrench the negative impression that many members of the Pokemon community have toward some of the Pokegym's moderators. Reluctance to change and stubborn defense of the status quo characterize the impression that many members of the Pokemon community have of the Pokegym. Personally, I think most moderators here do a fine job (yourself included, EeveeLover), but there are a few that give the Pokegym a bad reputation within the Pokemon community.

The ellipsis used in SD Pokemon's message informs the reader that she is using an aposiopesis to demonstrate a tone of condescension. That's what caused AnUnown to refer to himself shaking his head. He figuratively shook his head because her tone was dismissive. A moderately un-naive individual would interpret her message as if she was saying "There is a 'download' option for PMs... so why do you bother to make this post?"

Or it could be signifying the fact that she thinks of it as a non issue rather than trying to be condescending or just leaving it open ended...

You do realize that it is very possible that the mods here may be inclined to defend an issue instead of caving right. I'm not saying your wrong (I actually have no opinion as I don't PM) just that the mods may have their reasons, and that you should pose your intentions appropriately. If you blow off the mods and scapegoat them being resistant to change then guess what? They'll lose interest and stop helping.

FWIW text is so small that allowing 1,000 per box would have less than 1 GB impact per thousand users.

There's a reason that sixprizes went to truly unlimited inbox room.

You do realize that it is very possible that the mods here may be inclined to defend an issue instead of caving right.

If this is your way of saying that a few of the moderators on the Pokegym are by default, destructively stubborn, then I totally agree with what you're implying.

If this is your way of saying that a few of the moderators on the Pokegym are by default, destructively stubborn, then I totally agree with what you're implying.

Umm...no. I was implying that they may have an implicit reason to defend the status quo, the one's managing the site may want to be cautious in their changes.

Back