Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

HGSS-on Magic Moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chompy

I haven't posted a deck thread for a while, and I could really use your help on how I can improve the matchups (as well as consistency) against other competitive decks.

Here is the theme song I found that's quite fitting for the deck.

Do you believe in magic in a young girl's heart
How the music can free her, whenever it starts
And it's magic, if the music is groovy
It makes you feel happy like an old-time movie
I'll tell you about the magic, and it'll free your soul
But it's like trying to tell a stranger 'bout rock and roll

If you believe in magic don't bother to choose
If it's jug band music or rhythm and blues
Just go and listen it'll start with a smile
It won't wipe off your face no matter how hard you try
Your feet start tapping and you can't seem to find
How you got there, so just blow your mind

If you believe in magic, come along with me
We'll dance until morning 'til there's just you and me
And maybe, if the music is right
I'll meet you tomorrow, sort of late at night
And we'll go dancing, baby, then you'll see
How the magic's in the music and the music's in me

Yeah, do you believe in magic
Yeah, believe in the magic of a young girl's soul
Believe in the magic of rock and roll
Believe in the magic that can set you free
Ohh, talking 'bout magic

Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe, believer
Do you believe like I believe Do you believe in magic
[Fade]

Magic Moments

Deck List

Pokemon - 21

3- Gothita (Hypnotic Gaze)
2- Gothorita (Super Psy Bolt)
2- Gothitelle (Magic Room)
3- Solosis BW
2- Duosion BW
2- Reuniclus BW
2- Zekrom BW
1- Shaymin UL
1- Jirachi UL
2- Pichu HS
1- Cleffa HS

Energy - 11

8- Psychic
3- DCE

Trainers - 28

4- Twins
4- Pokemon Collector
3- Rare Candy
3- Pokemon Communication
3- Junk Arm
2- Juniper
2- Sages Training
2- Max Potion
1- PokeGear 3.0
1- Seeker
1- Catcher
1- Professor Oaks New Theory
1- Judge

Strategy:

Basically, you set up with Pichu and use Cleffa as your draw power. As you can see, Gothitelle is my main attacker, while I have Reuniclus as a supporting cast to move the damage counters from Gothitelle onto Zekrom to power up his outrage mid-late game (or revenge kill).

I find that having 2 Gothitelle is plenty to have in a deck mainly because of how slow she is (I might consider adding a 3rd one in, just to be on the safeside I suppose). However, the prize card thing does concern me, which is why I decided to run 1 rescue energy, so that if my first Gothitelle gets knocked out from a heavy hitter (Magnezone, Bad Boar, RDL, Tyranitar Prime), By that time, I would have Gothorita with energy on it and I can just evolve the 2nd Gothorita to Gothitelle.

Matchups

Threats to the decks

Emboar (Flare Blitz)- Nothing in my deck can respond to OHKO or be able to take hits from that thing it's that brutal. Once my Gothitelle gets knocked out, the trainer lock is gone and my opponent would be able to play trainers again, such as Energy Retrieval. Even with the trainer lock, your opponent can play Fisherman to get around that lock and OHKO Gothitelle just like that.

Magnezone- Same issue as Emboar (Flare Blitz).

Reshiphlosion- In order to win the matchup, you have to play it smart by doing the math to toy around Reshirams outrage attack. Make sure you don't attack a Reshiram with 3 energies on Gothitelle. Otherwise, Gothitelle is in a world of hurt from a vicious Outrage from Reshiram. Dealing 90 seems to be the solid number for this matchup because your only taking 110 damage from Reshirams Outrage. However, you have to watch out from the afterburner that places a damage counter on Reshiram for a OHKO on Gothitelle. Magic Room can be helpful in this matchup, since the Reshiphlosion deck relies on rare candies and having multiple Typhlosions out in play. Jirachi can work wonders mid to late game by being able to devolve their rare candies Pokemon, giving you more time to build up your Gothitelle.

Pokemon Catcher- I have switch to switch out my high retreat Pokemon, and Gothitelle will laugh at any player who tries to play it.

Inviting Scent Attackers- Use switch to switch out my high retreat Pokemon, or DCE if your opponent has Vileplume in play. One thing that will backfire them is your opponent wasted a turn of attacking if your able to OHKO Bellsprout/Carnivine with Gothitelle/Zekrom.

Yanmega- Twins can help you out of this situation, since Yanmega has a tendency of sniping Solosis for early cheap prizes. Yanmega becomes useless later on throughout the match, as long as Reuniclus is in play, and Zekrom can OHKO it with Outrage.

Zoroark- That fox does nothing against your deck. The fact that Zoroark is never thrown into any psychic decks means that he will only deal 30 to Gothitelle, if you were daring enough to attack Gothitelle with Zoroark.

ZPS- A deck that deals quick, cheap easy prizes. Again, you have Twins to answer your problems and be sure to place down 2 Gothrita/Solosis. Once you have everything built up (Between Reuniclus and Gothitelle), there will no Pokemon in your opponent's deck that can OHKO Gothitelle. Keep in mind that you should not attack Zekrom with only 4 Psychics (30+20+20+20+20=110), meaning that Zekrom can OHKO back with Outrage for 130. The most important part about the matchup is Gothitelles Magic Room shuts down the ZPS deck hard with the insane amount of trainers in that deck.

Tyranitar Prime- Depending on what variants it run, Gothitelle is bound to face some really annoying challenges. If Royal Heal Serperior is in the deck, it's hopeless because you can't really KO Tyranitar, while Tyranitar can OHKO you back with Megaton Tail.

Spreading damage counters can be a pain to deal with because most of your basics have 30 HP in the deck, which means your opponent can score multiple prize cards in the next turn. Sometimes, the deck runs Kingdra Prime to help Ttar score some cheap prize cards, while spreading the damage counters on the bench. Having the -20 Psychic Resisance hurts the deck, and to make matters worse, Tyranitar has 160 HP. My only answer is to make sure i have 4 energies on Gothitelle to even 2HKO this thing.

If your area runs a lot of Tyranitar, I suggest teching in a 1-1 Donphan Prime to solve that problem.

Mew Tool Box- The most threatening deck of all. Mew being able to OHKO Gothitelle/Reuniclus for one energy from copying Jumpluff's Mass Attack is very threatening. This deck happens to meet it's greatest weakness, which happens to be a deck that takes forever to setup, and Mew Tool Box takes advantage of that. My only solution at this point is to go aggro with Zekroms, until there are a few Mew's left (1-2 Mews), that's when you should start revenge killing the remaining Mew's with Gothitelle. Eventually, they will have no answer after the deck takes on all 4 of them. Also, Mew tool Box does rely on the Rainbow energies in order to counter against this deck, so you should be able to catch a break if they don't top deck a Rainbow.. By that time, you'll have a fully powered up Gothitelle to take on the Mew Prime.

Watch out for Catcher. I highly suggest attaching 1 energy on each Gothita, so that you have another Gothita with an energy ready to revenge kill Mew Prime with Gothorita/Gothitelle after one of them gets knocked out. (If your able to draw the right cards). Muk isn't that big of an deal, since your running DCE/Switch. Zoroark's Foul Play can be a pain because with only 2 Psychic Energies on Mew, Mew can OHKO Gothitelle for 140. Also, Mew can Foul Play Zekrom's attack for 120-130 (with a PP). However, Mew does deal 80 to itself, leading that to a suicide and leading them with only 3 Mew's left in the deck. If you manage to top deck a catcher, you can bring up another Mew and knock that out, leaving them down to 2 and nothing to back them up.

Also, if you guys find any other threats to the Gothitelle, let me know!

Update!

+ Added the Mew Prime Matchup
+ Took out 1-Rescue Energy/Switch for 1+ Psychic/Catcher

Last edited:
I agree with tc19930815. You need to use max potion and seeker to heal Zekrom. When you use seeker on Blissey, you have to wait a turn before dropping it back down, due to the first turn basic rule. And 3 Reuniclus is too much. Take it down a notch.

Changes I made

1- Chansey
1- Blissey
2+ Max Potion

After play testing the deck, I realized that it takes forever to get Blissey out on the field. The fact that you can heal off the damage counters at any time helps the deck out a lot with Max Potion.

Good catch there, Amphy#1. I meant to type 2 Reuniclus instead of 3. :tongue:

Changes I made

1- Chansey
1- Blissey
2+ Max Potion

After play testing the deck, I realized that it takes forever to get Blissey out on the field. The fact that you can heal off the damage counters at any time helps the deck out a lot with Max Potion.

Good catch there, Amphy#1. I meant to type 2 Reuniclus instead of 3. :tongue:

no problem. I've been working on this deck myself. I have a deck article on this site and on another site on their front page that I'm not going to mention. This looks similar to mine minus some stuff. Your TyRam matchup is spot on. I've experienced the same stuff when I've played against it.

You wrote a them song for your deck...?

I think it's awesome!! :biggrin: I've got a theme song for mine too!! Here's a little bit of it.

You can do MAGIC
you can have everything that you desire
MAGIC
and you know you're the one who can put out the fire.......

skip a couple of parts to: Dodododododo, dododododo,do, dododododo, dodododododo. :lol:

Heres mine.

*In a screamo voice* "I WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" for about thirty seconds Its very awesome.

Heres mine.

*In a screamo voice* "I WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN" for about thirty seconds Its very awesome.

That's pretty good, but it's better when you can tun on the radio and here our songs playing. It's much more epic that way. :biggrin:

Ive never heard a magic song before... And amphy why do you think donchamp is bad?

I don't think it's bad. It's just...... not good.

Donphan is good because You'll get prizes first by coming out quick. You'll also damage your own Pokemon, leaving them weaker in the end.

In this format we have Yamega Prime sniping the bench, which isn't good for your Pokemon that have taken damage. Then it has resistance to :fighting: which isn't good for you at all. Pokemon Catcher will also pull up your lines and KO them before they evolve. It has a weakness to Psychic which isn't good to Goth being popular. RDL can KO it, so can Emboar 19. Also, trainer lock won't be to good for it either. TyRam will discard your DCE, making it harder for you to attack. Tornadus has Fighting resistance also.

RDL, and emboar 19 can kill anything in the format... (minus ttar, waillord) Theres ruins of alph, or machamp can hit high enough to outweigh the fighting resistance, I can set up just as fast as Gothitelle and other decks. If tyram discards my dce I can attach another one... or fighting tag into another machamp that has 2 fighting on it already.

Goth would have to over extend its energy to 1HKO Machamp. last time I checked Trainer lock is bad for any deck... You could say that catcher would do that to any deck.. Your points are very generic

You wrote a them song for your deck...?

Write? More like borrow. The song would be "Do You Believe in Magic?"

Which I find rather ironic, since the deck is named "Magic Moments," and the chosen song is "Do You Believe in Magic?" over "This Magic Moment."

On the actual topic of the deck, I'm kinda surprised the list has only two Gothitelles instead of the usual four I've been seeing. Would you not want at least three? (Or am I the only person to ever get two copies of a card prized? I mean, I do have incredibly bad luck...)

Goth would have to over extend its energy to 1HKO Machamp. last time I checked Trainer lock is bad for any deck... You could say that catcher would do that to any deck.. Your points are very generic
Ummm.. Machamp is weak to psychic, its only 3 psychic for ko

Scott have you ever played the deck... No one puts 3 psychic on a gothitelle

I'm playing the deck. I have 2 deck articles on 2 sites about the deck. The BEST way to play Gothitelle right now, is to put 3 Psychic energies on her. She can do more damage that way. Shoot, once she's out there you could even put 4-5 energies on her for 110-130 damage!!

Since you're locking trainers and your opponent can't kill you, you can do whatever the .... you want.

How clear is that?

Consider 4-3-3 Gothitelle. Remember that if your trainer lock on the opponent breaks, you're a goner.
Your Zekrom system isnt really needed, why not replace all of that with a Gothitelle line a few more decent trainers. ^_^

Consider 4-3-3 Gothitelle. Remember that if your trainer lock on the opponent breaks, you're a goner.
Your Zekrom system isnt really needed, why not replace all of that with a Gothitelle line a few more decent trainers. ^_^

Zekrom should be in the deck for three reasons.

1) Moving the damage counters from Gothitelle as the active, and pile them on Zekrom to power up his outrage.

2) OHKOs Yanmega and Kingdra prime with outrage

3) Pile all of the damage counters onto Zekrom and use Seeker/Max Potion to heal all of the damage counters.

I agree that he should increase his line to 4-3-3 Gothitelle. Only problem is what cards do you think he should replace in order to increase the Gothitelle line.

I'm playing the deck. I have 2 deck articles on 2 sites about the deck. The BEST way to play Gothitelle right now, is to put 3 Psychic energies on her. She can do more damage that way. Shoot, once she's out there you could even put 4-5 energies on her for 110-130 damage!!

Since you're locking trainers and your opponent can't kill you, you can do whatever the .... you want.

How clear is that?

Most people didnt agree with your article..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back