Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pokemon 2010 VGC Support & Discussion

ultimatedra

It is now 2010 and a new year of Pokemon Video Game Championships is upon us. Now, unfortunately we have yet to hear about any rules for this year and according to Mike Liesik, Video Game Event Planner, TPCi:

For now, it would probably be best to have them use the VGC format from the 2009 series.

So according to Mike Liesik, we should have similar rules to the 2009 Video Game Championships. But, in Japan this year, they added more legendary Pokemon to the scene, but on a limited basis. Your team could only have two (2) of the following Pokemon on your team:
Mewtwo
Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

So, with this additional teams can get a whole lot more fierce. Kyogre and Groundon adding the entry weather ability's and some other beastly Pokemon can add some well needed support to a suffering team.

Check back in the near future for dates, locations, and official rules

What are your thoughts to the changes Japan incorporated into the game? What are your game plans to get you into the finals?

Go ahead and discuss your ideas and thoughts!

~ulti

Last edited:
Wow, the new rules will be interesting. Being able to only use 2 Uber Pokemon. Although, most teams don't even use more than 2 Ubers on their teams anyway.

Hmmm. This will be hard then. From them, I would choose Lugia and maybe Mewtwo but Latias and Latios are fine for me.
Well, looks like we're going to have people spamming Choice Scarf Kyogers. I just hope I can play in this. I always wanted to.

I think they should be banned from the tournament. Its not fart to people who really can't play the game like most of us can.

Hmmm. This will be hard then. From them, I would choose Lugia and maybe Mewtwo but Latias and Latios are fine for me.
Well, looks like we're going to have people spamming Choice Scarf Kyogers. I just hope I can play in this. I always wanted to.

I think they should be banned from the tournament. Its not fart to people who really can't play the game like most of us can.

There are ways to counter Scarf Kyogre. Abomasnow in my mind is the best counter. Weather change, resists Kyogre's moveset, and Abomasnow can do major damage with wood hammer/energy ball/Grass knot to Kyogre.

arceus is also banned don't forget

edit: palkia is going to be used soo much more than dialga cause of the hit for max damage with no recharge (if you do NOT know it's spacial rend) and i bet most people will make it 8/8 PP instead of 5/5/ with PP up OR PP max

Hm, this makes things very interesting. Especially since Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina learn all their attacks before reaching lv.50. Plus HGSS gave a bunch of pokemon new moves. I'm very intrigued by Trick Room Teams and I think Aggron will be a very nice addition to them. It can now learn Head Smash and have Rock Head to negate the recoil. I think that's awesome!

Also, Giratina is also catches my attention with the ability to learn Shadow Sneak and Destiny Bond. I think Giratina could be quite abusive if used properly.

I'm still not sure if I'll actually use a Trick Room team this year, so right now I'm just experiementing with different teams and seeing what works best for me.
~Cyber~

arceus is also banned don't forget

edit: palkia is going to be used soo much more than dialga cause of the hit for max damage with no recharge (if you do NOT know it's spacial rend) and i bet most people will make it 8/8 PP instead of 5/5/ with PP up OR PP max

I'm not worried about the PP Max or anything. My Articcuno can handle it. Arceus can't be EV trained because its LV 100.

The only thing is you'll have to have a counter on your team for them. You'll wast a slot on your team for a Pokemon you think your opponent is using or you'll lose because you brought a Pokemon with you to counter a Pokemon your opponent did not bring.

I'm almost sure people will use Kyoger. It would be better if they allowed one if they say we can use them.

I like the use of 2 ubers, nice change from last year.

Personally, i think it is a bad thing as it will over centralize teams around those 2 legendarys.
Sure last year teams where either rain dance, trick room, or just good stuffs - but you have to realize that the teams that won where not those popular teams, but they used Pokemon like Moltres and Shedinja.

I guess that there are pros and cons to adding the additional legendarys.

I agree the change is definitely for the worse, there is a reason most competitive Pokemon since the original games have had a banlist. It keeps the game from centralizing around a few threats and becoming all matchup and luck based instead of actual skill and strategy. The only reason they do it is so people like a few of the above who just have these op legends as their favorite Pokemon due to pokemon's own hype, this way these people are placated and get to use their favs despite what it does to the actual competitiveness of the tournaments.

IMO- skill and stratagy is what makes Pokemon battling fun. Banning moves, hold items, and restricting Pokemon is a way to set up a fair environment for the "general" players who do not battle at "Pro" status. Of all the tourny's that I set up and host- you would understand some of the issues that arise. Out of the millions of game copies sold, only a select few players know how to ev train, know anything about iv's, and do not know that stats are important when it comes to setting up teams for stratagy- especialy when it comes to double battling. So I say this: let the general public have their "faves"- it does not mean they will have an undeaftable team. There is more to battling then just having a couple of "faves" in your party and expecting that you have a winning team. But let them use their faves to keep them happy and wanting to participate. Without that, we would not have as many people to battle against. Restrict an event to much, and you will not have success, because you will detuer to many people. If we claim that we are as good as we say we are, then I for one look at the the Pokemon now being allowed is just another challenge.

IMO- skill and stratagy is what makes Pokemon battling fun. Banning moves, hold items, and restricting Pokemon is a way to set up a fair environment for the "general" players who do not battle at "Pro" status. Of all the tourny's that I set up and host- you would understand some of the issues that arise. Out of the millions of game copies sold, only a select few players know how to ev train, know anything about iv's, and do not know that stats are important when it comes to setting up teams for stratagy- especialy when it comes to double battling. So I say this: let the general public have their "faves"- it does not mean they will have an undeaftable team. There is more to battling then just having a couple of "faves" in your party and expecting that you have a winning team. But let them use their faves to keep them happy and wanting to participate. Without that, we would not have as many people to battle against. Restrict an event to much, and you will not have success, because you will detuer to many people. If we claim that we are as good as we say we are, then I for one look at the the Pokemon now being allowed is just another challenge.

well put. I agree. If i even use a legendary in my team it'll be kryogre.

I am not stateing that attendence is an issue. I went to Seattle- and I thought that more then enough people showed to have a chance to battle. My main point is that you need to have some kind of balance when it comes to restrictions and banned lists.
If you have a good set of restrictions, not too many banned Pokemon, and listen to the people who attend your events- you have better success.
I think that the new added legendarys are a part of "the hype" that surrounds the games release in Japan and here in the states. How better to "rekindle" the games with allowing the two legends, HO-OH and Lugia without causing a possible complaint of "You allow HO-OH and Lugia,( and do we realy want to see every player have both legendarys in their teams because there is not alot to combat the two combined?- talk about centralized with a chance of stat wars) but what about Kyogre and ? and ? and ?......ect... see my point?
I don't think it is a big concern that we will be seeing over-used Pokemon or faves in this years up-comming VGC-
I accept the challenge and the many other players who want to show off their skills, and If I am lucky enough to be selected to battle- I will rely on my skills and stratagies. And I will not worry about what Pokemon others may have and stay focused on the battle and let my skills speak for themselves.

and as far as patterns-(Ulti-), wait until my clones fill the first location lines ( 800+) - I am determind to play this year!:biggrin:

IMO we probably won't see much Dialga/Palkia. Kyogre will of course be a major fixture on Rain Dance teams, and Groudon for Sunny Day teams. Latios is simply a brutal sweeper along the lines of Garchomp (thankfully, I believe Soul Dew is still banned), and Giratina is "the Great Wall."

I'm actually building an Ubers stall team that utilizes both Giratina and Lugia. It's actually pretty good, so perhaps throwing in two OU Walls (NOT Blissey) could make this suitable for VGC.

The Main thing that i like about his year that no one has mentioned, is the auto level down feature, that allows you to use pokemon who learn moves beyond 50 to be played or even allows pokemon like dragonite to be playable, that being said...

allowing These ubers basically swings this to an uber match up, even if you play a trick room uber team it will be the same pokemon repeatedly, especially in the national and world finals

i really dont expect latios/latias because in an uber enviorment there are so many other BETTER choices. i expect to see every uber on the list abused with support pokemon limited to

garchomp, blissey ,scizor, and maybe smeargle, empoleon.

at this point dark void smeargle looks VERY VERY good

It also give the noobs an even worse chance of winning as they believe their level 100 kyorge will EVER stand a chance against my level 1 Rattata ;) (i beat this one kid every week, because he REFUSES to believe that kyorge will keep losing)

^ Umm.... Trust me, Lati@s usage is much higher than Blissey or Empoleon. And why DV Smeragle when you can get a DV Darkrai? Also, Garchomp usage has dropped a bit, being overshadowed by the likes of Groudon.

Back