Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Regionals Details Added! Scholarship Awards!!!

meganium45

There have been 13 regions announced for the United States for the US Regional Championships with not only the predictable trips to worlds, but also scholarship money to the winners! Along with trophies!!!

details at op.pokemon-tcg.com

Seems that you cannot win 2 trips, but you may win 2 scholarships!!! WOOOT CHAW!

M45

Last edited:
Hmmm, although there's nothing confirmed, here's some obvious (and not-so obvious) speculation on where each regional will be held:

Northwest-Washington
Northern California-OBV
Southern California-OBV
Mountain West-Colorado
Midwest-Illinois
Southern Plains-Texas
Mississippi Valley-OBV
Great Lakes-Michigan
New England-Mass
Northeast-NY
Mid-Atlantic-Virginia
Eastern-Tennessee
Southeast-FL =/

So yeah, these are some solid regional choices. I cannot wait!!!

Actually, I think Utah will probably get the Mountain West since it will more likely attract CA, NV, & AZ players. Colorado is just too isolated. Plus, GLBlaine (from UT) ran the West Coast Stadium, so he has a "leg up" on our local PTO. Nevertheless, we'd LOVE to have the Mountain West Regionals.

Last edited:
hm, just my opinion, but why have 2 regionals in california, where worlds is gonna be held, and only 1 in places like texas, florida, and NY?

mewsmom said:
Wow Make that 3 Meg45.

Must say awesome LOOT. Nice replacement to the byes.

:eek: No Kidding....I jus saw the "Cha Ching" and lemme tell ya Im in awe.....

:thumb: Yay for PUI :clap:

Last edited:
A subtle item but one that should make Nintendo's life easier is the treatment of the invitiation to Worlds and the travel package as 2 separate things. It should make it easier for Nintendo to deal with "pass downs."

But I have a pet peeve...

The difference between the 3rd and 4th place is a trophy for 3rd. Will this be determined by resistance? If so, that's kind of weak. 3rd and 4th should either play it out or give out two 3rd place trophies.

Last edited:
I like the regionals and how they are. I see how they will send stadium challenges out of the country and give us regionals. It gives us more variety due to we have a huge country and need alot of stops to have a good shot at hitting one. I love this new announcement and i hope this event structure they laid out will be as it sounds.

The Gorn said:
A subtle item but one that should make Nintendo's life easier is the treatment of the invitiation to Worlds and the travel package as 2 separate things. It should make it easier for Nintendo to deal with "pass downs."

They had no problems with Pass down's last year. We were involved in quite a few. Once the South Stadium came around 1 of my kids had a travel/invite and then my other won their travel/invite @ SSC. So that covered travel for our family to Worlds. During the South Stadium Challenge my hubby won a spot that would have gotten Invite/Travel. So he got his invite and the travel rolled down (because our family was covered) to the next player who would have just gotten the invite. So with the pass down the Invite only spot, got the travel added to his prize package.

So see they really know how to handle the prize structure and not let any go to waste.

Last edited:
The Gorn said:

But I have a pet peeve...

The difference between the 3rd and 4th place is a trophy for 3rd. Will this be determined by resistance? If so, that's kind of weak. 3rd and 4th should either play it out or give out two 3rd place trophies.

I believe in this case a 3rd place match is run alongside the chanmpionship match.

"Originally Posted by SomethingElse
hm, just my opinion, but why have 2 regionals in california, where worlds is gonna be held, and only 1 in places like texas, florida, and NY?

California is stretched longways from north to south."

From a population distribution standpoint it doesn't make sense to have 3 west coast regionals. with 13 regionals, each region should have approximately 21 million people, and North California has only about half that. That said, the decision is out of my hands.

meganium45 said:
At Nationals, Worlds, and the Stadiums, 3rd place matches were all run, and will be run again....

M45

At East Coast, 3rd was decided on resistence. At West Stadium, Chris Silver's would-be runner up match opponent already had a trip. SSC was the only one where this happened.

Last edited:
Patriarch said:
Hmmm, although there's nothing confirmed, here's some obvious (and not-so obvious) speculation on where each regional will be held:

Northwest-Washington
Northern California-OBV
Southern California-OBV
Mountain West-Colorado
Midwest-Illinois
Southern Plains-Texas
Mississippi Valley-OBV
Great Lakes-Michigan
New England-Mass
Northeast-NY
Mid-Atlantic-Virginia
Eastern-Tennessee
Southeast-FL =/

So yeah, these are some solid regional choices. I cannot wait!!!

These don't sound like bad places. Probably can expect to see Eastern Regionals in Memphis or Nashville...which ever one they decide on. Wouldn't mind either one really.

California is a MASSIVE state in both population AND area. Even San Diego is a good 6 hours from me and i live in the middle of the state. A lot of people back east get a lot more events than we do within that radius, i know that for a fact. We also don't get nationals and still only had the WCSC and 2 gcs last year when worlds was in florida. It seems pretty fair to me what we get this year. The east coast (Florida-New England area) will likely get 5+ Regionals, 15+ GCs and they have Nationals in Ohio.

Sure, a lot of people live in CA, but it's not evenly distributed. About two-thirds live in the southern part and only one-third of them live in the Northern part.

Back