Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Richmond VA Regional Championship - Quinton, VA 4/17/2010

Feraligatr

Plan now to attend the Pokemon Regional Championship in Richmond, VA!!!

Click on link below for details!!!

http://www.ncscpokemon.com/RIREG_2010.htm

Huge thanks to our awesome staff for all their hard work in making this a big success!!!

Pictures
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/577482480xsAZIT

Congrats to the following players on placing Top 4:

Juniors
1st - Derek K
2nd - Tommy B
3rd - Blaine H
4th - Carter C

Seniors
1st - Jimmy P
2nd - Jimmie M
3rd - Patrick T
4th - Jaron K

Masters
1st - Johnny R
2nd - Kevin N
3rd - Travis C
4th - Stphen S

Last edited:
PASTED FROM VA THREAD...

In the spirit of collaboration and constructivity...

hum...
As long as we've learned from last year.

interesting post...meaning???

Ugg... VA get's regs again? :(

Please... for the sanity of your players... never have an hours worth of door prizes again. Also, it woudln't hurt to have the room just a little bit warmer. I know I'm not the only one who was very uncomfortable being so cold.

^^ Questioned and Answered ^^

____ now.. my take on it ________

I was just talking about this in the car with my wife.
The hour long door prizes killed it for alot of people.

HOWEVER...

It's too bad that happened because there were so many OTHER aspects of the event that were AMAZING.

1. That was STILL the absolute SICKEST deckcheck process of all freakin' time! I've never seen that kind of efficiency in a deck check... ever.

2. Jumping to PODS was ingenious. Time management was awesome (forget the computer glitche, that's noone's fault... at all).

3. The number of door prizes was fantastic; they just need to be given out BETWEEN ROUNDS instead of bulk. (I think we're all scarred by that ... still).

4. The floor plan was very good. It was set up sorta like Nats with every age division having a very defined area.

5. I can't even remember any complaints about the judging. My daugther had a bad moment during her first-ever time-extention and ... essentially SCOOPED when time was called :lol: But, that sort of thing is chaulked up to experience. The judging was great. (and Lawman freakin' rocks).

SUGGESTIONS: (in the wrong thread right about now.. but... hey... lol)

1. Have NON-tournament tables and parent seating in the venue (IF POSSIBLE). I really appreciated this at VA states. It's VERY uninviting for parents to feel as if they do not belong. If I drive 5 hours to take my kid to an event, PLEASE freakin' let me sit and watch from afar. Know what I mean? If parents are not players, they DISCONNECT when you force them to "find something to do with themselves." I think the 'customer service' aspect of a large event is important; it is often overlooked or ignored.
Non-tournament tables gives players somewhere to go between rounds. If space allows, consider the provision of these.

2. Door prizes were wonderful. I really don't want the SPIRIT of what was done to be overlooked or unappreciated. They really tried to have like THE BEST DAY EVER and offer up as many prizes as Godly Possible! Let's NOT forget this guys. I think it would be exciting to have little random prize-drops after EVERY round culminating to the big prize after the kid's final round. It also gives the losing players something to look forward to (let's not forget that going 0-6+ inhales profusely... at least you can stick around and hope to cop a wii or a DS !)

3. PODS. I loved that. There's ALWAYS people saying "we got the tough pod." Whatever man. You gotta beat em all regardless. But, the POD thing is just MAD EFFICIENT and it is an excellent method of time-management and allocation of staff resources. I loved that. That was a clutch decision that nobody seems give props for...

4. Continue the "Walk-in and deckcheck" procedure. That was awesome. As soon as we walked in the door, the deckchecks were alive and well. I just can't say enough about how awesome check-in and deckchecks were. Thank you.

5. Bring back that Vendor! The vendor was spectacular. However, it would be super cool if we could have TWO vendors to cut down on the crowding chaos and sold out stuff. When staff gets too busy, they tend to get snippy; this is a turn-off and deters from the spirit of the event.

That's about all I have right now. But, there's my 2 cents.

_________________ and _____________

EDIT .. now that I'm in here....

The new venue looks VERY nice. I like how it appears to, still, be easily accessible from the interstate.

Last edited:
I feel a bit sad every time I think about last year’s prize giveaway.

Jeff and all the other folks didn’t have to do that. The fact that prizes were given away at all was a huge bonus and very indicative of the generosity of the staff. I remember very strongly how, before the event started, folks clustered around that table and were talking about how they would like to get this prize or that one.

I was terribly disappointed in the way some folks acted during the giveaway.

I don’t even think that the length of time was a direct problem in and of itself. I think that it was the other time delays that made folks extra sensitive to the time it took. After a massively delayed start many masters just wanted to play on. I think that if you take away the time delay a good many of the complaints about how long this took would have gone away.

I also think that it was a mistake to pair folks up in masters before the giveaway. Everyone paired up & set up. There is a kind of tension or excited expectation about the game to come when you do that. All the masters were feeling that and then … PRIZES! They were in exactly the wrong frame of mind to get interested and excited by that after having been paired. I suspect that the staff didn’t want folks crowding the front area … but perhaps having folks get seated could have been done without pairings. I think that if you took away this aspect of things and don’t pair then another good chunk of the complaints would have gone away.

Finally it was really hard to hear where I was seated near the back. Some of this was due to rude folks talking ... but a lot was due to the fact that I was so far back and the sound system wasn’t really enough for the room at hand. It would be nice next time around to have a bit better sound system.

Rogue I really want you to think about what you just asked for. :)

If you give away prizes between each round the average round time will go up. The cumulative time needed to give away prizes will also go up. Instead of an hour it might take an hour and a half or more, just broken up instead of all at once. Instead of playing for 5 hours and then getting prizes the juniors might play for something like 6.5 hours or more. That may be asking a bit much of them.

RA (thx for the props) and VG: Thx for the imput. I know Jeff aprreciates it as well as I do (as staff).

Jeff: Suggestion for the "minor giveaways": When you print out rd 1 pairings (barring any odd numbers), print out a 2nd set of match slips. Cut those in half and stuff all the names in a bucket. In between rds, draw a few names and have the judges/runners place those prizes at the table for the next rd. Then, do the "biggies" at one time, at the end of Swiss for the JRs/SRs.

@RA: Having tables for family/non players in the room is a plus, when space allows. I'm sure Jeff will do this, if room allows.

Keith

Suggestion for the "minor giveaways": When you print out rd 1 pairings (barring any odd numbers), print out a 2nd set of match slips. Cut those in half and stuff all the names in a bucket. In between rds, draw a few names and have the judges/runners place those prizes at the table for the next rd. Then, do the "biggies" at one time, at the end of Swiss for the JRs/SRs.

Keith

^^^^ Yes. Just like that. ^^^^

My family and I attended absolutely every event offered in VA and MD last year; every BR, every CC, and each States, Regionals, and then Nats.
We were able to see a variety of approaches and adminstrative styles applied to tournament hosting.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

So, I just wanted to be an active contributor of constructive input.

I hope Jeff understands I'm on his side here and only want to help create something that's an Amazing experience for my daughter and all others involved.

Let's build...

Last edited:
Rogue Archetype and vanderbilt_grad thanks for the suggestions.
It is always nice to get feedback with suggestions instead of just complaints.
No matter how many times you do it, it is always a learning experience.

The biggest thing I took away from this past year was the door prizes were too much with including the small stuff.
Will definitely handle that totally different for next year.
I don't like doing them between rounds just because it adds to the round times.
But the giveaway should be shorter and will be next year.
Also agree to hold off on pairings and just get everyone seated and do door prizes then pair Masters.
Also agree the speaker system was not good. It was not until after the event I found out that the speaker system was only for 1 room (i.e. even though it was 3 rooms opened up as one).
I already confirmed this location has a speaker system to handle the whole room.

Last edited:
There were things that were done well last year. For example, the Wawa being within 5 minutes of the place was very helpful for those looking for quick food after 8pm. Is it known what places for quick food are located close to the Dogwood Room? Also, the lack of a line at deck check was very impressive. I don't think I've ever been to an event where there was no line :thumb:

For things that could have gone differently, Rogue Archetype and vanderbilt_grad already touched on both the things I was going to say, the long wait to begin and the door-prize round. When the staff began to take the door prizes to the winners instead of having each winner come up to get the door prize, the system worked very efficiently :thumb:

Hope that helps with what I was referring to :smile:

I definitely like your suggestion of not posting pairings until after the giveaway, Mr. Sterrett.
You verbalized the kind of anxiety that I felt sitting there, set-up, but waiting.

Also, I unfortunately won't be there this year. :( SoCal regionals, here I come.

I hate to already start complaining about 2010 Reg., but after looking up the location on Google, the place is nowhere near any sort of food. The cloest place is a gas station.

I hate to already start complaining about 2010 Reg., but after looking up the location on Google, the place is nowhere near any sort of food. The cloest place is a gas station.

You didn't pay attention to what was ONSITE did you? Down stairs there is a Dominos on one side of the building and a ice cream/ coffee shop on the other- not to mention the steak place down stairs too...also very close by a McDonalds and Subway, I think you will be just fine...

^and karpy gets proved wrong once again.

I think the location looks very nice from the pics and looks easily accessible from the highway. I am looking forward to this.

Last year was awesome!! I had a great time. RA, I hope to see you and your daughter again. It was a joy to play with her after my match last time. I will be back in my birth state once again!! :smile:

You didn't pay attention to what was ONSITE did you? Down stairs there is a Dominos on one side of the building and a ice cream/ coffee shop on the other- not to mention the steak place down stairs too...also very close by a McDonalds and Subway, I think you will be just fine...

I was simply going by what was stated on Google Earth. A day without me complaining about SOMETHING is like snow in FL. The place didn't even show up on Google Earth. Also Google Maps and Earth are almost never up to date on the satellite photos.

I was simply going by what was stated on Google Earth. A day without me complaining about SOMETHING is like snow in FL. The place didn't even show up on Google Earth. Also Google Maps and Earth are almost never up to date on the satellite photos.

I'm sorry- didn't mean to come back snippy. That's just not me...as far as the box- stay tuned to this channel- (might be a box full of Pokeballs...J/K)

I just bought a new Computer Printer.

You can have the box that came in. :thumb:

(you may wanna specify ... lol)

Box of Pikachu's...:lol:...

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

One thing to note the street address is hard to find via Mapquest and Google.
Stay tuned for updates with local restaurants and attractions like I do every year.
Along with other updates like door prizes, etc... :thumb:

Last edited:
One thing to note the street address is hard to find via Mapquest and Google. Stay tuned for updates with local restaurants and attractions like I do every year.
Along with other updates like door prizes, etc... :thumb:

It only gave ads for business in the area and that only came back with two.

Back