4 Rare Candy
4 Pokemon Communication
3 Professor Oak's New Theory
2 Interviewer's Questions
2 Fisherman
2 Twins
2 Pokegear 3.0

Strategy:

Ideally, start with Smeargle and try to portrait something to help set up and get a Samurott and a Feraligatr benched. Then, tank with Samurott and use Feraligatr to put massive energy onto Samurott to hit hard. On a side note, starting with smeargle allows you to see their hand often, which gives you an idea of what their strategy will be.

Possible techs could be:

Magnezone - Draw engine of choice if you choose to make a more trainer heavy deck.

Noctowl - Decent stage 1 draw engine.

Dodrio - Bench sitter that allows free/low retreat for the entire deck with its Retreat Aid Pokebody.

Bouffalant - Splashable revenge killer that combos great with Black Belt to swing for up to 130 damage for 2 energy. (Just enough to OHKO a fresh Reshiram or Zekrom.)

Zoroark - Versatile tech that can counter many of the likely common threats with foul play, mirroring their own attacks back at them for just 2 energy.

Manaphy - Alternate lead able to refresh a bad hand for just 1 energy and the added plus of free retreat.

Donphan - Solid stage 1 tank that attacks for just 1 energy and covers the decks glaring weakness. It is also a counter to Zekrom and electric decks.

Reshiram - Great basic that functions both as an attacker and a lead. With a whopping 130 HP, it can act as a damage sponge while you set up and possibly even KO with a boosted Outrage for 2 Energy. Reshiram helps tremendously for the Serperior-Reuniclus match as well being able to Outrage OHKO virtually anything in the deck if it is hit with just 1 leaf storm.

Match-Ups:

Reshiram-Emboar-Ninetales: 70-30

This is a great match-up for this deck as your set up is often quicker than theirs. Try to get Gatr benched and a Samurott active ASAP and don't forget to prepare a benched one just in case. Because you have their weakness, it's pretty easy to get off to an early lead but don't get complacent! The deck does have great recovery and an amazing draw engine to back them where as you do not. Just play smart and play to your deck's strengths and you should come out on top, barring a really bad start of course.

Donphan-Machamp Prime: 60-40

I only played a few games against this one, but it's generally a harder match-up than you might think. Their deck is typically quicker and will get off to the early lead, but twins will help to alleviate this problem by allowing you the cards you need to finish your own set up. The biggest problem you'll face is Machamp and it's Pokepower Fighting Tag. Along with your lead being weak to their attackers. It will most likely be a close match-up, but you should be able to squeak out a win here. Remember that you can OHKO their Donphan, and do serious damage to their Machamps for just 3 energy. Try to get enough energy to OHKO their active Machamps if you can to avoid the tag and switch a heavily damaged Samurott if at all possible, as they have no way of sniping it once you're safely retreated to the bench.

Serperior-Reuniclus: 50-50

This is one of the most interesting match-ups I've come up against so far. The fate of this match is always close for me, but it seems to really come down to who can set up first. If you get a bad start you're doomed, but if you get set up before they can you can normally out tank them believe it or not. They typically can't hit you for more than 40 at a time, where as you have the ability to 2KO them or even go for the OHKO with enough energy. Most of their deck carries a resistance to yours, so a win here is highly reliant on how fast you can start taking prizes. try to KO their actives if you can BEFORE they fully evolve and you should be able to pull out the win. Again, it will be close and this will likely not be an easy match.

Zekrom Donk: 20-80

Not much to say here, except that this match-up is pretty much an autoloss. They set up twice as fast and hit your weakness. Your best bet is to pray to the Pokegods and if you don't get donked T1, try your best to use Feraligatr's Odd Grass Weakness to attack if you can get him out. He can actually OHKO Zekrom, assuming the Zekrom has already attacked once but unfortunately it won't help much. This deck is unbelievably quick and has phenomenal recovery. Autoloss is autoloss. :[

*I will keep updating this section as I play more against other popular decks such as speed Cinccino and Blastgatr.

Thanks to all that actually took the time to read this post, and if you have any questions or suggestions feel free to drop a comment! :D

Last edited:
I really like this!! :) I just see a couple of things that mabee needs tweeking. I would -1 on elm. you have enough search with 3 of them + communication. And I would add 1 more oak. Take out the retrivals for 2 fisherman. All of those energies on your samerot will get discarded. Plus, with fisherman, you can put them back into your hand and do rain dance to put them right back in play again. Mabee take out a candy for another twins, but that's up to you.

I was going to make this one of my other decks for next format, but it seems hard trying to get 4 Samerot. It's really good, and it can deal with Emboar.

yeah i like the idea of tanking decks that don't require healing, and shell armor allows me to do that pretty well. i have one question though, do you think that i need more than the energy retrievals? each would allow me to get back 2 energy from the discard and they are trainers so i can still use a supporter. just wondering if you overlooked that i had them in, or if you still thought i needed the fisherman. i agree with the pont though, 4 would be nice and i can do without 4 elm's i think.. thanks for the suggestions!

-edit: nevermind, i see you said to replace them with fisherman. i'll try that and see how it fairs..

this sounds similar to the fire deck we are proposing with Emboar and Ninetails (typhlosion)

just a clarification on the use of smeargle, it lets you copy the effect of a supporter card, so in effect initially you could be playing two supporters a turn initially in the game that could be advantageous. i like it... maybe i will try that in my deck...

is there anything to guard against a lightning deck?

yeah, it would be the same concept except faster i suppose. fortunately, this new format is going to be pretty slow in general so it might actually do well. only time will tell...

---------- Post added 04/27/2011 at 04:45 PM ----------

this sounds similar to the fire deck we are proposing with Emboar and Ninetails (typhlosion)

just a clarification on the use of smeargle, it lets you copy the effect of a supporter card, so in effect initially you could be playing two supporters a turn initially in the game that could be advantageous. i like it... maybe i will try that in my deck...

is there anything to guard against a lightning deck?

Unfortunately, no. Nothing that I know of that will still be legal when the format changes. maybe a small 1-1 donphan tech, but other than that not really. :/

you already have candies so i would use magnezone for draw instead of noctowl

pretty solid deck. Give emboar something to fear :)

@garchomp it's a hgss on format deck. it's not meant to compete at nats or battle roads, more to get me used to the new slower format.
there's no point in competing at battle roads anyways, as it will likely be filled with the new cheap and ridiculous sabledonk. i'd rather wait until the inevitable new format and be better prepared for the drastic change. a lot of people at the league i go to have decided to do the same, so we're going to test these new decks on each other.
@leafpoison as for the magnezone draw, it's too slow to be useful in this deck. i try to stray away from more than 2 stage two lines as it slows the set up considerably. magnezone is a great card, but noctowl is quicker draw so i opted for speed over the better draw engine. magnezone does work in this deck though, it just slows the set up too much for my tastes. thank you for the suggestion though, and i hope to stomp emboar as well. :lol:

I was going to make this one of my other decks for next format, but it seems hard trying to get 4 Samerot. It's really good, and it can deal with Emboar.

1 from Prerelease.
1 from Victini Box.
1 from Zekrom Tin.

I haven't gotten my box yet, but if there's one in there, I'm destined to build this deck!!

Also, to everyone who is suggesting MD-on cards, the title says HGSS-on. Don't suggest something that the author has decided not to do. We all know the rotation isn't out yet, but working on decks for post rotation is something that we should all be doing.

1 from Prerelease.
1 from Victini Box.
1 from Zekrom Tin.

I haven't gotten my box yet, but if there's one in there, I'm destined to build this deck!!

Also, to everyone who is suggesting MD-on cards, the title says HGSS-on. Don't suggest something that the author has decided not to do. We all know the rotation isn't out yet, but working on decks for post rotation is something that we should all be doing.

Haha, I only have 2 at the moment. I'm getting the last 2 I need though when I go to my league next. For now I just use the starter deck Samurott as proxies. Oh, and yes I would greatly appreciate it if people wouldn't post ideas that incorporate anything before HGSS. It's meant to be a post rotation deck, as the Thread Title clearly states. :thumb:

Sorry about that :(. But, I think you could -1 Professor Elm's Training Method and +1 Pokemon Communication, because next format there won't be any Spiritomb.

Last edited:
Sorry about that :(. But, I think you could -1 Professor Elm's Training Method and +1 Pokemon Communication, because next format there won't be any Spiritomb.

It's okay dude. I just don't care much for the current format so I decided to try to get a head start on the new one. Anyways, you could take an Elm's out for a Communication, although I prefer more Elm's personally. BTW the slightly tweaked revised list is up.

Thanks to Amphy for the suggestions!

Maybe if you can't fit in Dodrio, you could add Switch? That might help retreat your active Smeargle. I actually got really lucky. I pulled one Samurott at the Pre-Release, and at my locag game store, they had 3 for $3.25 each. Now I have just enough cards to build this deck!! All of my decks are going to be based off of Black and White cards now.

Maybe if you can't fit in Dodrio, you could add Switch? That might help retreat your active Smeargle. I actually got really lucky. I pulled one Samurott at the Pre-Release, and at my locag game store, they had 3 for $3.25 each. Now I have just enough cards to build this deck!! All of my decks are going to be based off of Black and White cards now.

If you run switch it's best to run it in fours, and there's really no space to fit them unfortunately. the deck originally ran switch, but i had to take them out to bolster the overall consistency and speed of the deck. smeargle's more of a sacrifice the way i play it to ensure a safe set-up. if you can get him retreated before he's knocked out that's great, but you can afford a prize or two to ensure your set up. once samurott get's rolling though, he pretty much steamrolls anything, with the exception being zekrom and magnezone. i also tried running dodrio instead of noctowl and it still runs pretty smoothly. the deck strategy changes though if you decide to run the dodrio, so i decided to keep the noctowl line. if you really wanted though, you could take out an elm's and a collector and maybe 2 rescue to make room for the 4 switches. it's all really personal preference. these small changes and tweaks more than likely won't win you any games lol.
thank you for the suggestions though, and good luck with yours!

Smeargle won't be as good in a HGSS-on format. Without Unown Q it gets stuck up there. You could run switch but I don't think you have the room. So I would:

-3 Smeargle
-4 Professor Elm's Training Method

+2 Pokemon Communication
+1 Professor Oak's New Theory
+2 Pokegear 3.0
+2 Manaphy

With enough hand refreshers from PONT or Manaphy, Professor Elm just becomes useless since you can only evolve once per turn. Pokegear 3.0 is amazing for this format since it allows you to get that supporter you need for that turn.

Smeargle won't be as good in a HGSS-on format. Without Unown Q it gets stuck up there. You could run switch but I don't think you have the room. So I would:

-3 Smeargle
-4 Professor Elm's Training Method

+2 Pokemon Communication
+1 Professor Oak's New Theory
+2 Pokegear 3.0
+2 Manaphy

With enough hand refreshers from PONT or Manaphy, Professor Elm just becomes useless since you can only evolve once per turn. Pokegear 3.0 is amazing for this format since it allows you to get that supporter you need for that turn.

smeargle may not be great, but i think you're missing the point here... smeargle is a suicide lead that ensures a safe set-up. it's just fine in this format. no offense, but not everything has to have free retreat to be good. i use smeargle to speed up set up. i can afford to be behind a few prizes, because once samurott and gatr are set up it pretty much steam rolls. i've already tested my current revised deck-list and found it to be pretty consistent. manaphy works, but i've tried it and delibird among other things and found that smeargle is overall a better fit for my personal play style. ultimately, i won't use these suggestions for my personal deck but i won't say they aren't viable choices. use whatever works best for you, and if you plan on actually creating a samurott deck i wish you good luck and thank you for the suggestions! as for fitting the 4 switches it is possible, which i explained in my other post. the only thing i'm contemplating at this point is whether or not to take out a smeargle for a second twins, as i've found that smeargle is pretty much a dead draw late game. what do you guys think?

this deck looks great! the only problem it will run into i think is zekrom donk. i've heard that it's doing really well in japan right now, and if it becomes prevalent here i think you'll need to at least tech a 1-1 donphan or something to counter it. maybe even zoroark?

this deck looks great! the only problem it will run into i think is zekrom donk. i've heard that it's doing really well in japan right now, and if it becomes prevalent here i think you'll need to at least tech a 1-1 donphan or something to counter it. maybe even zoroark?

yeah, i agree. we'll have to see though. if it turns into too much of a problem i'll probably tech in zoroark so i don't have to change any energy and hurt overall consistency.

yeah, i think zoroark might be a wise choice and he's more versatile than donphan in some ways. although, donphan DOES have better longevity for sure and it kind of fits well with the theme of your deck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back