Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Sentiments after Nationals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanvergel

This past weekend at Nationals has opened my eyes to a few changes I have experienced while playing this game. I began playing in May of 2005, right at the release of Emerald. Scramble energy had just been released, and the game took a strategic turn once again.

I remember the bad beat stories and sour grapes people had. Needing to draw a Warp Point out of 8 cards with a Steven’s Advice to draw 6; having 3 Blaziken prized; getting paralyzed for 3 turns in a row against a Dunsparce, anything. One thing I know is that I almost never heard of someone with sour grapes about losing turn 1 or turn 2. Games went out longer. Games were not decided so easily on turn 1/2 as they are now.

When I hear a disgruntled story now, it’s a Regionals winner getting turn t1d by Machamp game 1 of Nationals. It’s about a player losing against a Gengar who flipped 3 heads for 3 flips with Fainting Spell. It’s someone playing 7 turns total at a tournament. It’s someone losing t1 to Machamp 4 rounds in a row of a premiere event.

This year’s US Nationals boasted a total of 1190 players, and 681 Masters players, with growth in all age groups, and with the same consistent growth in masters above 25%. If we can expect the same growth next year, another 25% or so, we will be looking at about 1500 players. That is an absolutely stupendous amount, and would mean a Masters turnout nearing 850. This is more than double entire rating sections see for their entire player base at one tournament. The LA zone has roughly 380 players, meaning our Nationals should double the size of their entire player base.

APAC zone has 1404 players (MA of course), while our Nationals nearly had half of their player based matched by our turnout. This region receives 46 invites via Nationals invite, and 20 invites via ranking. Our country has to fight for 25 rating invites and 8 National invites. If we received a similar distribution of invites for our player base, we would be looking at 24 invites- about 3 times as many as we see now.
The distribution of invites obviously has a huge bias against the US. It will only be that much harder to earn an invite here in the US next year, with out nationals likely booming more masters, while we receive the same invites.

While I love the idea of a huge turnout for a Nationals, I am not quite satisfied with this event truly proving the nation’s best. When we are expecting 800 players for a tournament, luck has an undeniably huge impact on who wins. It also makes management a huge issue (fire hazards, anyone?). I am beginning to think the US is too large for 1 main event. I would like to see the US adopt a system similar to regional championships. An east/west coast championship of two tournaments of the US national scale, each likely pulling a solid amount of players, but with more growth since more people overall will attend Nationals. I am sure the younger divisions would easily pull 150 kids, and the masters pull 400+, making them on the scale of the first nationals! The two winners of each divisional challenge would play at Worlds in a feature match to decide the United States National Champion. I think we either need a smaller, more manageable/fair/less ridiculous tournament set, or we need more invites. Both require more money, sadly- so I know I’m being optimistic.

I think the game definitely has some issues right now. I see a 30,000 inflatable hanging above me and think how much more thrilled the players would be to see 4 additional trips per age division for a year. I think the game would definitely benefit from adopting Europe’s best of three swiss. With the kind of game mechanics available, we need a way to offset the randomness.

I think my grapes lately have been a bit more sour. The bad beats hurt more, and there are more players, better players every year and less prizes every year.

How is everyone else feeling about the state of the current Nationals?

I agree with 90% of what Ryan has to say here...hit most of it on the head. I'll be back later to post some more in depth thoughts later but its late.

I really don't feel that it should be EASIER to qualify through the LAST CHANCE Qualifier than it is U.S. Nationals, let alone any other Nationals. Honestly it is, think about it. You have 8-9 rounds in the LCQ where you have to X-1 or X-0, compared to having to Top 8 a HUGE Nationals? I mean, I thought the purpose of ratings was to award a consistent season, but Nats has gotten so big that it is becoming this giant crapshoot. I'm just trying to offer a another perspective here.

I think there really needs to be a complete revamp of the current event series, and I'm not even sure where to start or whether this is relevant to this topic, but here it goes:

Ryan's suggestion of a West and East Championship in the U.S. Um, anyone remember the 2004 Stadium Challenges? There were three. One on the West Coast, one in the Midwest and one on the East Coast. Why were these taken away? Yes, Regionals have "replaced" them, but that's not exactly my point. My point is that given the increases in attendance, there needs to be more events that are close or on a National level. I really truly believe the game's numbers this year in the United States have reached a point where everything needs to be reconsidered.

Our Battle Roads and Pre Releases were pulling incredible numbers even early on this season. 5-1s were whiffing Top 4 cuts here. I mean I'm not going to sit here and have sour grapes over that type of stuff over a BR, but it does illustrate how large the tournaments have become. Every City Championship I went to in California had over 40 Masters. That's ridiculous! We're talking 70-80+ total players for Cities. States, the numbers were absurd everywhere. Ours here in California had enough to warrant 8 rounds. Regionals, the same. States and Regionals had several 5-2 and even 6-2 players miss the cut.

All these events, including U.S. Nationals are what I like to call "top heavy", meaning they heavily favor the players who actually win the event. Is this a bad thing? Not really, you should always award the winner of an event handily. The thing is, when you have so many players and give nothing to so many places, it creates such a competitive and luck-based atmosphere. Again, I have no sour grapes here, and I'm not going to sit here and say Pooka didn't deserve to win Nats here because he definitely did and was long overdue, but you have to look at the big picture. You have like 700 players in Masters playing for 8 Worlds invites. Yes, some go far and make it through rating, sure. They had to do a lot to get there, though. We have players out here in the U.S. who won 100+ person Regionals and States with comparable competition to many countrie's Nationals that aren't even sniffing Worlds invites.

This brings me back to the Stadium Challenges. More big events are needed. I really think States needs to be dropped completely. This may seem like a bad idea, but we need to look at things here: States is pulling 100+ Masters in nearly every event in the U.S. with really only 1st place being anything meaningful prize wise. Yeah, there's ratings, but you can add anything else and still do that. Also, there are some States that are significantly smaller than others with the same prizes, which isn't totally fair and it has been like this for some time now.

What do we do if we drop States? Well considering there's something like 40 of them, that would open up a budget for a large series, or something like what Magic: The Gathering does with Pro Tours. I know this game isn't Magic and it never will be, but let's not act like it isn't a great game and has a lot of good things going for it that Pokemon should look into.

Something like a Pro Tour in Pokemon would be bigger than Regionals but smaller than Nationals. You could run 3 of them per season in different locations and rotate them around the country, like the Stadium Challenges. You could make them invite only and add qualifier events. The qualifiers don't even have to offer trips or any significant prizes, just invite(s). By cutting all 40 State Championships, I'm sure something close to this could be done. By adding bigger events on a scale larger than Regionals and closer to National level, you give all the top players and really any players a chance to showcase their skills on the big stage more than just once or twice a year. You also can have vendors at all these events and rotate them from certain areas each year like I said before. This is especially good for families to see different cities and for friends to meet up with each other more than once or twice a season.

I do not think there is anything wrong with Worlds. I feel that its size is very good. The selection process is okay. I would like to see Worlds kept the way it is or something similar, but the rest of the events need a lot of work given the attendance increases the last couple of years in particular. Just my two cents.

With X number of challenge tournaments, you could hold a top cut "nationals tournament" similar to what the Japanese did in the first worlds. If you get like, top 32 at these qualifiers, you can play in this worlds qualifier, smaller tournament.
I like a lot of what you said, Chad, and will respond more tomorrow after some sleep ha ha.
There are so many options for what we can do. We don't have to be limited to this sort of seasonal plateau that has become rather impossible. Our game is obviously changing in numbers, we have to change other aspects of the game to compensate. Whether it be in the game mechanics, in the tournament structure, the invite ratio, the paid trip amount, more smaller/mid-range type tournaments to really give ratings merit. We have options that we should begin exploring at this point. When do we say that we need to change gears? When we pull a 1013 masters? In 4 years?

Europe (APAC is Australia, Asian countries and such) is not one country and should not be treated as such. While the ratings system is for Europe, it is not fair to say that "Europe gets XX Nats invites and that is more than us".
Though I do agree that the US should have more invites, even though I tend to see more US players than European players at Worlds.

Proportionately it always costs more to grow a small area or start a new one. If you only allocate support based upon current players then I guarantee that some more aggressive company will step in and take over the smaller regions. When PUI took over from wotc the approach was aggressive and capital intensive inside the USA, look at the result:GROWTH. I'd hate to see the very conservative decline that wotc presided over returning. Some of that money and attention that was previously thrown at USA players has been diverted towards the rest of the world in the last few years.

Maybe in the USA it is impossible to not look back at the past and see a "decline" in recent years but you do have to be somewhat selective in what you look for. It is hard to argue with growth and that is the general trend in the USA and outside the USA too. I'd wager that in many locations looking back would see only improvements under TPC and that includes the USA.

From an outside perspective each of the thirteen USA regionals looks like the Nationals that another country might have. USA nationals looks like some uber event a equivalent to maybe a further six country nationals. By that measure the USA is getting similar love to all of the EU nationals combined. Canada looks very strongly supported as does Germany with the addtional funding that Amigo is putting in. The grass is always greener somewhere.

Worlds invites can never be proportional as you can't have a fraction of a player. Worlds is much more like the olympics or World Cup (soccer) where representation by many nations is key to the events' appeal.

Sure TPC could try and appease the top USA players, but to do so would require TPC to concede Europe to YuGiOh, Magic, or the latest TV supported fad game. I just don't see that decision being made by TPC in much the same way that it wasn't a surprise that Wotc deemphasised pokemon in favour of Magic. In my opinion that was a really bad decision by wotc and cost wotc/hasbro dearly.

I hope there is nothing controversial or surprising in any of the above. It is possible to pick at the details as it always is with any kind of broad brush summary. So what remains to pick at? Canadians are mostly out of the running for ratings invites under the current structure but are well supported in other ways. I'd swap the UK with Canada in a blink of an eye. Winning a USA regional does not guarantee a worlds place, so though in money and event terms they are similar to other country nationals they lack this particular reward. I'm surprised that winning one of the thirteen USA regionals does not make a ratings invite probable but I don't recognise the names expecially without surnames http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/premie...s/regionals/info/08-09/regionals_winners.html I can see arguement both for and against adding an invite without trip to the prize pool at regionals. I think I'm in the against camp primarily because I believe that the rating system is still worth developing and has much to offer that a winner-takes-all tournament approach just cannot provide, especially in a game that has a degree of luck at its very heart.

As the operation of worlds gets slicker each year, as it seems to have been doing, I do anticipate some increase in invites for USA players: Top16 at USA nationals instead of Top8 for example. Of course a change like that is only likely to increase attendance at USA nationals :D

I'd love to see match play as the standard, but I don't see that happening without the return of draws or more complexity in event structure to keep time overruns under control. I will continue to campaign for match play and draws with some restriction such as draws only being allowed during the first swiss-2 rounds. Dealing with SD overruns on a couple of rounds is different in scale to dealing with them on every round. I'm probably adding too much personal bias into how I interpret the tournament structure at USA nationals. Flights and deep match play playoffs suggests to me that POP also favour matchplay to single game, or at the very least have nothing against matchplay outside its impact on venue time.

Last edited:
I think if we as players want more tournaments, then we all need to try and start talking to our local TO's and PTO's about it, as well as talking about it here and over on the go-pokemon.com professor forums. The more noise we make, the more likely it is we'll at least get an answer to why we can't have more events. The more we talk to the organizers about it, the more we'll be able to see where we can help out if we DO get additional larger events.

Something else I think needs to happen, even if our events don't increase, is comprehensive judge training. I have heard a lot of stories from a lot of seasoned players about bad calls that have lost them events. That isn't something that should be happening. I am lucky that in my area we have a lot of good judges to call on but I know that in a lot of areas that just isn't the case. If we do revamp our tournament structure, the number of well-trained judges is going to have to increase to match the number of events we have.

It's clear that a lot of people take the competition aspect of this game very seriously, and I hope that we get some changes that reflect the level of competition we're at right now.

More big events, thats the key ;)

i like the idea of have something like the pro tour in magic.

I´m from europe/germany but one big event (national) is not what make me happy.

Yes, we have States but a display is not a good reason to travel in a far away city or a nerly country. the only reason for that are the rating points so i think it woud be a great idea to add some worlds qualifier events.
they dosen´t need a big price support, a invite for the first is all i want.

in my case, i´m 19 years old and i look on big events, dont play league. i know i´m not the target group of pokemon buissnes but i hope thay dont forgott us

Master Yoda, POP does not forget you but as you say you are not their target market either. I doubt that POP will ever focus on players that will only play when there are big prizes to win, or those whose current circumstances limit their ability to travel. Personally, I believe that the pro-tour idea is a dead (psy)duck right now. POP always seems to avoid sending out a message that individuals can't take part, in the case of a pro-tour the vast majority would be excluded or it wouldn't be very "pro". Worlds is the closest POP come to an exclusive tournament and even then it looks like the strategy for worlds is to include as many countries as possible.

D13tp3ps1s' comment on the need for judges constrains the growth of tournaments. Possibly more than many other factors right now.

@ Ryan, I don't think just handing out MORE invites is going to be any good, however, the invites should be more evenly distributed among continents. Imho, US should get some of Europe's invites, maybe some of APACs too, although I don't have any solid info on them. I believe Europe gets about 65 invites or so, whereas US get 33, while the playerbases are probably more or less even.

Also I'm not really keen on Europe's ranking system. It is way too easy imo. There are players with invites (because they pass way down to 55th place or something) who haven't won a single battle Road in their life. People with 50-30 records even have invites in Europe. As for myself, I'm not challenged the least bit by this system. I don't play BRs or CCs, just some states and nationals and make T20 europe easily every year. And I don't consider myself a world class player at all. That just shows how easy it is to get an invite through the ranking system. All countries are well represented through nationals winners and invites, so I think we should toughen up the europian system a bit, and give some of those invites to NA rankings. Compared to how hard it is to get an invite in the US, europe's system is a laugh.

As one of the organizers of the Stadium Challenges back in the day, I would LOVE to see the return of this HUGE event on today's scale.

In the day, instead of Regionals (and I would hope that it would be a supplement to Regionals), there were 3 Stadium Challenges, with the 4th "Stadium" being Nationals.

Look at the distribution today.

Put a Stadium in Norcal or Oregon (and remove their Regional)

Put a Stadium in Houston (and remove their Regional)

Put a Stadium on the East Coast (and remove their Regional)

Keep Nationals in Indy, Chicago or St. Louis (If there is a Houston Regional)

Reduce the number of Regionals to 10 in the US. (Thereby taking care of the prizing issue to a large extent).

Put Regionals and Stadiums on different weekends, and put the stadiums on a different weekend than Nationals.

It wouldn't be perfect, but you would then have a great distribution of Worlds Trips available to the top 2 at each Stadium, top 4 at Nationals, and invites still to the top 4/8

Just an idea. An idea that I like.

Vince

@Ryan
i totally back up your idea for an east and west championships for US. East could have it in PA or NY and west could have it in Cali.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

As one of the organizers of the Stadium Challenges back in the day, I would LOVE to see the return of this HUGE event on today's scale.

In the day, instead of Regionals (and I would hope that it would be a supplement to Regionals), there were 3 Stadium Challenges, with the 4th "Stadium" being Nationals.

Look at the distribution today.

Put a Stadium in Norcal or Oregon (and remove their Regional)

Put a Stadium in Houston (and remove their Regional)

Put a Stadium on the East Coast (and remove their Regional)

Keep Nationals in Indy, Chicago or St. Louis (If there is a Houston Regional)

Reduce the number of Regionals to 10 in the US. (Thereby taking care of the prizing issue to a large extent).

Put Regionals and Stadiums on different weekends, and put the stadiums on a different weekend than Nationals.

It wouldn't be perfect, but you would then have a great distribution of Worlds Trips available to the top 2 at each Stadium, top 4 at Nationals, and invites still to the top 4/8

Just an idea. An idea that I like.

Vince

can you explain the stadium challenges to me? i didn't play competitivly back then.

Last edited:
Here's a very simple solution for all of this.

1) Make the States prizes equal to what Regionals got this year. This solves your problem of States not being supported enough almost to the point of ridiculous. Maybe change the automatic trip to the $300 stipend, or cut down on the scholarship money ($1000 split T4). But something additional would help here.

2) For Regionals, give 1st place (or T2) automatic Invites to Worlds, which can pass down both at Nationals and for Retings. I think this should have happened years ago. Now that the average Regional Championship is 211, larger than many National Championships, with the smallest being 121, it should follow that they receive at least Worlds consideration. I've thought this for a couple of years now, and I see myself believing this until the average worldwide National Championship (excluding US) is larger than the average US Regional Championship.

I don't expect PCI to listen to me (they never have before), but it'd be nice to see this happen...

LickyLicky: if it cost as much as it does for USA players to attend worlds as it does EU players then I'm sure that the USA invites would pass down a long way too.

I don't get the desire to turn Worlds into a USA vs the rest event with half the places at worlds allocated to USA players. Someone needs to explain to me using very simple language why that would be good for the future of the game. I just don't see the benefit at all.

Bullados: sure spending more money on the USA is good for the USA, but the money has to come from somewhere.

Vince: I can see converting three or four USA regionals into some next level event between Regionals and Nationals. Would likely make it even harder for the Canadians to get a rating invite and would get some grumbling from those states that are still distant from the new events. I know that invites are effectively free unlike scholarship dollars but it somehow seems wrong to bypass nationals as the tournament event route to worlds. I'd probably suggest adding awarded byes at nationals to your new events rather than skipping straight to worlds invites.

Last edited:
Ryan, the problem is, there are big states, and there are little states. I would feel eh if all States were increased similarly, but am always in favor of bigger prizes!

Similar problem with Regionals...there are big Regionals, and there are little Regionals.

I would love nothing better than to see the 4 big Regionals "morph" into something more.

Oregon - Stadium
Houston - Stadium
Florida - Stadium
St. Louis - Nationals

These 4 areas year in and year out have put up the numbers, developed and drawn the players.

Bigger events should equal bigger prizes.

Nopoke, I don't want to see it return to the 2006 and prior of the US versus the World (which is what Worlds felt like) but it has to be respected that the Worlds invites in the US are insane to get at this point compared to the rest of the world. Adding 12 competitors to each age division from the US due to Stadium invites would not skew the total numbering.

Morphing 3 Regionals into Stadiums would also minimize the additional cost incurred by TPCi. I am not pretending we can simply pull money out of the clouds. Any change at this point has to come with a cost (Regionals replaced by Stadium). What I am proposing is the addition of 1 trip at each Stadium (for 2nd place) and it be to Worlds and not to Nationals, minimizing the cost. Also proposing slightly higher prizes for the tops at each Stadium than we see at a Regional. (Scholarships to T4...)

Vince

Last edited:
LickyLicky: if it cost as much as it does for USA players to attend worlds as it does EU players then I'm sure that the USA invites would pass down a long way too.

I don't get the desire to turn Worlds into a USA vs the rest event with half the places at worlds allocated to USA players. Someone needs to explain to me using very simple language why that would be good for the future of the game. I just don't see the benefit at all.

That's so true.

Imagine how many US invites would pass down if they ever had Worlds in Europe.

A lot of people in the US don't even have passports.

The best thing about Worlds is meeting people from all over the world. Last year, I didn't play the same nationality twice. It wouldn't be the same if it was nearly all Americans.

I'm still intrigued by Scizor's statement that regional winners did not manage ratings invites. If that is the case then looking at the cause of that phenomena may be very fruitfull. It may not require automatic invites to fix, but it does feel wrong that winning a regional doesn't make it relatively easy to take that final step to a worlds rating invite.

Answers are easy once you find the right question.

Picking on the masters group (as they are the squeaky wheel ;) )
Murat G.
Andrew O.
Martin M. [Texas]
Omar I. [Florida]
Drew H.
Charles B.
Kevin W.
Jay H.
Darrell M.
Kevin N.
Tavish F.
Hanaan R.
Michael C. [Oregon]

How many of these masters will miss a place at Worlds? And of course the more important question: Why?

Last edited:
I feel Battle Roads are the weakest link in all the tournament series. Their point values are so low that many players skip them. The prizes on the line aren't really that fantastic. They just take up time and product. I'd much rather see Battle Roads converted into Stadium Challenges than see States converted into Stadium Challenges.

Less overall events for the game wouldn't be bad. You might earn more points playing in 1 stadium challenge than you would playing in 4-5 battle roads, so it might even out.

BRs serve a different purpose. They aren't aimed at hardcore tournament players. It is a dangerous practice to ignore your beginners/new players.

BRs aren't focused at hardcore tournament players, yet it is the hardcore tournament players that attend the most of them. The beginning/new players may attend the one in their city, but they are a lot less likely to travel to another one.

What does BRs accomplish that a well organized (slightly prize supplied) tournament ran during league not accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back