Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Shuffling Your Opponent's Deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son_of_Apollo

A few questions about this.

During the Top 4 match at a city championship, when I went to shuffle my opponent's deck in game he said I couldn't riffle shuffle, and got mad when I strip shuffled, just because his deck had expensive Japanese sleeves. I was at a point where I was barely shuffling his deck at all. I thought this was wrong, but the judge watching seemed to agree with him.

Looking back, I'm starting to wonder: is your opponent allowed to tell you how you can and can't shuffle, as long as you are staying within the time limits?

Second question, this one's a lot more simple. Exactly how long do I have to shuffle my deck or my opponent's deck during the game?

Put your hand in the air, and in the loudest voice you can muster, go with one single word...

JUDGE!!!

Some people riffle shuffle in a way that is damaging to the cards, ie bending them and don't mind others do. Like Bullados said calling a judge is the way to go and hopefully the judge will shuffle and then that is that there is no further shuffling. Ending the dispute, Judges will tend to cater to both parties needs, the need to randomize the deck while at the same time damaging the cards and sleeves as little as is humanly possible. Fair enough right?

I for one feel that your opponent should not be able to shuffle your deck, just cut.

Also, I have seen someone accidently flip over a card while shuffling and exposed a secret tech for a deck. If "declumping" should be considered cheating. Then as should shuffling your opponents deck.
Posted with Mobile style...

Your opponent should always be able to shuffle, and should always do so. Things like revealing cards and such are different issues and are cheating/do deserve penalties, but not being able to shuffle your opponents deck is just silly.

Anyway, I always request that my opponents don't riffle shuffle (or bridge shuffle, or what have you) my deck. There's no reason why a simple mash, overhand, or pile shuffle won't suffice. I treat my cards in a certain way, and as long as it doesn't impair the deck actually being randomized, I see no problem.

Some people are very particular for their cards and sleeves; if they were polite about it, you should just shuffle in a different manner. No harm meant, no harm done.

Shuffling your opponents deck slows the game down as well. So no, it shouldn't be allowed.

Sleeves get damaged, cards can get damage, cards can be seen which is cheating, etc. A cutting of the deck is more than enough to prevent your opponent from stacking their cards which imo is why we cut our opponents deck. If you feel the need to shuffle my deck, I will of course play the stall game and proceed in shuffling my deck once more.

Shuffling your opponents deck slows the game down as well. So no, it shouldn't be allowed.

Sleeves get damaged, cards can get damage, cards can be seen which is cheating, etc. A cutting of the deck is more than enough to prevent your opponent from stacking their cards which imo is why we cut our opponents deck. If you feel the need to shuffle my deck, I will of course play the stall game and proceed in shuffling my deck once more.

As per Tournament rules, the opponent has the right to shuffle instead of cut. If so, you only have the right to cut afterwards, you cannot shuffle again.

I spend money on my sleeves and some of them were not cheap, I cannot stand that someone can shuffle my deck besides me! I do not understand the purpose of why someone would want to shuffle my deck, watch me shuffle and if you do not think I did a sufficient job, ask me to shuffle again, and of course you always get to cut my deck after.

My question for serious debate would be: What is the purpose of shuffling your opponents deck when you can have them shuffle it again while watching and then you get to cut their deck?

And yes I know my opponent is allowed to shuffle my deck but just because it is permitted and legal does not change my question.

My question for serious debate would be: What is the purpose of shuffling your opponents deck when you can have them shuffle it again while watching and then you get to cut their deck?

OK I'll bite. If I'm not satisfied with the way you have shuffled to attempt to achieve randomness, what is the point of asking you to do it some more?

Or, what if some players aren't as accommodating as you, and don't take kindly to opponents saying "do it again"?

From a procedural standpoint, it's easier to give the opponent the chance to shuffle too.

From the larger tournament standpoint, if you like your sleeves that much and don't like other people touching them, don't use them at a premier tournament.

(Sorry that's more than you asked for. It's just a cut and dry issue IMO.)

Friendly reminder that you can request a Judge shuffle. I tend to do so If I feel the judge is signifigantly luckier than me.(It's not difficult.) Nobody should have a complaint if both sides get judge shuffled. Obviously, I'm not condoning wasting the time of a judge, but seldom will you hear any discourse upon requesting it and if both sides cannot reach an agreement it's a very viable alternative.

OK I'll bite. If I'm not satisfied with the way you have shuffled to attempt to achieve randomness, what is the point of asking you to do it some more?

Or, what if some players aren't as accommodating as you, and don't take kindly to opponents saying "do it again"?

From a procedural standpoint, it's easier to give the opponent the chance to shuffle too.

From the larger tournament standpoint, if you like your sleeves that much and don't like other people touching them, don't use them at a premier tournament.

(Sorry that's more than you asked for. It's just a cut and dry issue IMO.)

I will completely agree with on everything you said except for one point, if they are not as accommodating as I am or the second shuffle is still not effeiceint for you, call the judge. It is not only about the sleeves, say I am playing Luxchomp a year ago, when uxie x and luxray x were $50 or more and I am using cheap sleeves but my opponent wants to shuffle my deck, I have to let him. Now your opponent is a player you know well from your area and he plays cheap rogue decks because he cannot afford the more expensive cards, he is using no sleeves because of his finances. He begins to shuffle your deck when he accidently bends the Uxie X or Luxray X, I mean almost in half... Are you just suppose to eat the money on that card or is your broke opponent suppose to buy you a new one? Is the judge gonna give you a replacement? Is the pokemon company gonna give you a new card? So it is always not about the sleeves, I spend good money for some of my cards and do not want to lose them because someone felt the need to shuffle my deck.

So Jackal, what you are saying is if I am worrying about having my opponent damage my sleeves I shouldn't use the nice ones?

Does that make sense to you? Many love the look of the cool sleeves. So we should NOT buy the good sleeves because we have to factor in our opponent damaging them because they have the right to shuffle my deck.

Pokemon needs to fix this issue, shouldn't be allowed. If you feel your opponent is cheating, its called cut or have a judge shuffle it.

Once again, I'm going to make the point that shuffling your opponents deck is cheating. Most people that shuffle flip the cards to their side, thus allowing them to see the deck. I guess you could try and make the point of SotG would playy here in which we should assume you wouldn't look at the deck, but it works the other way in lack of trust off the opponent whom you are shuffling his deck.

Let's fix this, cut and cut only. Now, I have had people shuffle cut my deck in tournies, but they asked if they could and asked how id want them to shuffle to protect my Gold Pikachu sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back