Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Swapping cards at prereleases.

Poliwag92

Today at the Niles, IL prerelease, we opened our 6 packs and marked which cards were opened. Then they made us swap cards 2 spots to the left. This place had never done anything like this niether have I heard anything of rotating cards in a prerelease. ITs unfair because someone opens up a star card then they have to pass it down! This is ridiculous! I had an ex and get stuck with no ex. Hey I won the tourney anyway but it was unfair. Is this a legit ruling?

That doesn't sound legit but I dont understand.

"Then they made us swap cards 2 spots to the left."
"someone opens up a star card then they have to pass it down!"

If you get a star card you have to pass it down, and if you get anything else you choose what to pass down? Or the TO chooses what cards get passed down?

no all 54 cards opened were passed down 2 positions at the table. I said it would be unfair for the person with the rare card that they had to pass it down with the other cards.

Venusaur said:
That doesn't sound legit but I dont understand.

"Then they made us swap cards 2 spots to the left."
"someone opens up a star card then they have to pass it down!"

If you get a star card you have to pass it down, and if you get anything else you choose what to pass down? Or the TO chooses what cards get passed down?

Sealed swap. One person opens the cards, another person plays with them. Common practice in some other card games (particularly with bigger prizes) that's designed to reducing certain unscrupulous tactics.

It's perfectly allowed.
That's how they did the FRLG prerelease in Cali.
Not recently, so there might've been some rule change.

I agree, it is a bit unfair.

They probably did that because the cards were in retail outlets early.

We USED to do that on the second weekend of prereleases when the prize was a box, to prevent people from cheating by switching cards they'd already gotten for 'bad' ones in their packs.

Once the prize structure was switched to extra packs for all, we didn't bother doing deck registration/swap anymore; if someone was willing to go that much effort to cheat for the extra 4 packs our events offered as 1st prize, then...=/

'mom

oh yes thats right. Well now I understand, just hoped they would've given us an explanation and tell us prior to registering.

SD PokéMom said:
They probably did that because the cards were in retail outlets early.
Which was the exact reason they gave us.

A little disappointed, since I was close to owning a Latios ex >.>;;;

I think that if you pulled like an ex or * and asked the TO if you could keep it and not play it should let you keep it

its a good way to prevent cheating. i like it. pooka had to pass me a camerupt ex at the emerald pre. he got over it eventually.

pastimes messed up and didn't tell you until you opened a few packs. that was wrong. i heard some 14 year old kid pulled 2 ex's and didn't pass them, then wanted to still play. thats pastimes fault for not explaining the deal beforehand.

If I'd have gotten a shining or a good ex I would drop out of the tournament. The extra packs for winning aren't worth it, especially when you already got 2 ex.

I understand the practice, but I don't like it.

Pokemon Pres are supposed to be minorly competitive, so I don't see the point in doing this in Pokemon events.

Rulemaster said:
its a good way to prevent cheating. i like it. pooka had to pass me a camerupt ex at the emerald pre. he got over it eventually.

pastimes messed up and didn't tell you until you opened a few packs. that was wrong. i heard some 14 year old kid pulled 2 ex's and didn't pass them, then wanted to still play. thats pastimes fault for not explaining the deal beforehand.

I don't think he ever got over it...

I'd run out of the store like a flaming lunatic if I found out that I had to send that Mew* to Billy Bob Nobody.

Of course, I'd take the Mew* beforehand. >_^

I'd run out of the store like a flaming lunatic if I found out that I had to send that Mew* to Billy Bob Nobody.

Of course, I'd take the Mew* beforehand. >_^

uh yeah

the point is that it wasn't fair to the players because it wasn't explained before the packs were opened that you would be passing your cards after a decklist was filled out with teh pack's contents.

Yeah the main judge said you could have as many cards as you want in your deck. We were saying that would make it unfair and the judge said it was ok. He said, "What advantage do you have with more cards? You have less chance of getting your good card. Its a risk you have to take."

Back