Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK National Championships - 2nd June 2007

pokeguru

The UK National Championships have been sanctioned on 2nd June 2007, according to the POP website. Full sanctioning details can be found here:
Masters
Seniors
Juniors

---QUICK SUMMARY OF REST OF POST---
Date and Time: 2nd June 2007, 10am start (8.30-9am doors open/registration, 10am - registration closes.)

Location: Safari Lodge, Woburn Safari Park (see below for directions)

Admission: Free, invite only (entrants get free ticket to Safari Park with extra ticket for parent/guardian if under 18)

Invite structure: (per age group) - Top unqualified player (winner) of City Championships 2007, Top 8 unqualified players of SPT/Regional Championships 2007, Top 4 of National Championships 2006, Top 25 unqualified per age group from Pokemon Organised Play rankings.

Format: Modified Constructed (EX Deoxys, EX Emerald, EX Unseen Forces, EX Delta Species, EX Legend Maker, EX Holon Phantoms, EX Crystal Guardians, EX Dragon Frontiers, EX Power Keepers, POP 2, POP 3, POP 4, POP 5, Black Star Promos 029 and above and cards from EX Trainer Kit 2. Epic Collection is a selection of reprints from current expansions and is therefore legal for this event. Diamond and Pearl are NOT legal for this event. This is incorrectly mentioned on the decklist provided by The Place for Games Ltd. for this event.)

Structure: Depending on numbers, 5-7 rounds of Age Seperated Swiss (1 game - 30 mins), followed by cut to T8/T16 (Best of 3 games - 1 hr)

Prizes: (per age group) CONFIRMED - 1st place wins trophy, invite, airfare and accomodation in the Pokemon TCG World Championships in August 2007 in Hawaii. Unconfirmed - goodie bags, boosters, other promotional items.

Rules and Regulations: Effectively common sense. If you have doubts whether it is allowed or not, don't do it. Full tournament rules and regulations are here (you will require a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader) Note - there are new rules in gameplay that come into effect with the release of the Diamond and Pearl expansion. These new rules will NOT come into effect at the UK Nationals but WILL be effect at Worlds and when Diamond and Pearl are eventually released in the UK.

Decklists: The Place for Games have provided a link to a decklist with their invites. However, this incorrectly implies (by putting it on a list of set symbols) that the Diamond and Pearl expansion is legal for this event. To reiterate, Diamond and Pearl is NOT legal for this event. The format is from EX Deoxys - EX Power Keepers, POP2-POP5, EX Trainer Kit 2 and Promos 29 and above. A corrected decklist for the National Championships, used for the Mexican National Championships, without Diamond and Pearl listed is available here. (Please note that you will require a PDF reader such as Adobe Reader to view/print off this decklist.)

---VENUE---
The tournament is taking place in the previous venue for the past 2 years - Woburn Safari Park in Woburn. Post code is MK17 9QN and a map of the area can be found here, thanks to Multimap.com. Woburn Safari Park is approximately one hour's drive from London, Oxford, Cambridge and Birmingham. Follow signs to Woburn Safari Park from the M1 junction 12 or 13. From the A5, follow signs to Woburn village. Woburn Safari Park is signposted from here.

---TIMES---
They are due to start at 9.30am - this has now been changed; according to invites, registration is now due to close at 10am. If tradition dictates, this means Registration starts between 8.30am and 9am, and will end up causing delays of up to 2 hours. :D Hopefully, 3rd time at Woburn will be the charm.

---STRUCTURE---
Rounds are likely to last 30 minutes each with 5-7 rounds before a top cut to T16 or T8 (best 2/3 over 1 hour). This'll be seperated by an hour lunch break, and in the past, TPFG have provided a free barbeque for entrants (and guardians). If there is no lunch provided, there are restaurants and cafes on site, but from my experience, few with substansial meals. I would advise bringing a snack/water to this event in case of this eventuality.

---IF YOU'RE NOT PLAYING...---
The main other entertainment is the surrounding safari park. If like last year, competitiors and guardians (for <18s) get a free ticket to the park to enjoy during lunch break/after the top cut. The park opening times are from 10am-6pm for those guests. However, in the past, the tournament hasn't ended until later so be prepared for a hang about. The park also has adequate eating facilities and fairly good disabled access, but they die after closing time. Luckily, last time they opened a snack bar in the room, but again, I'd take drinks/snacks with you just in case.

---PRIZES---
As some of you may know, the World Championships this year have had invites capped at around 64 per age group. Therefore, there are fewer Worlds invites floating around. The winner of each age group (Juniors, Seniors and Masters) receive their invite to play in the World Championships, along with airfare and accomodation paid for. There are no other Worlds invites or travel awards available from this tournament. If you want to attempt to qualify via ranking, I suggest that you attend the Battle Road tournament series during May/June 2007 or visit other European Premier Tournaments.

Expect trophies for the Top 3 in each age group. Also expect boosters for those who make the top cut, more if you rank higher, as tradition dictates. We've also had games consoles as prizes in the past, such as the Nintendo DS, and often get goody bags full of the usual POP promotional stuff, such as folder, notebook, frisbee, baseball cap, etc.

Also expect a promo card for entering - Blastoise CG stamped with the National Championships logo, and a National Championships 2006-2007 badge.

---QUALIFIERS---
As you should know, the National Championships are invite only. People can get invites from winning the City Championships, placing in T8 in the SPTs (Regionals), being in the top 50 UK ranked players on POP rankings (per age group last year - perhaps overall this year - unsure yet), or placing in Top 4 in last year's National Championship.

The City Championship winners/qualifiers list is here with a list of City Championships that took place here.

The list of SPTs/Regional Championships across the UK are here. We can create a winners/qualifiers list once those are completed.

Rankings are available on the Pokemon Organised Play website.

Those qualifed already are mentioned in this post here (thanks to ukpokemonpro).

This thread is now just to discuss the "anticipation" and "excitement" for the Nationals and to update with more info as it comes in regarding prizes, new entrants, new rules, etc. Tips for newcomers to the National Tournament circuit can look at post #11.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that some players aren't receiving invites. The invites themselves, sent to e-mail addresses, are also inaccurate, particularly about decklists as mentioned earlier. Therefore, as NoPoke has mentioned on this thread - if you believe you have qualified and can name the event(s) in which you have qualified, go anyway and register. They can't really turn anyone away who hasn't.

Look forward to seeing you all there,
Cole

Last edited:
I'm running a book on who's going to win, PM me for odds.

j/k, j/k, j/k!

Out of interest Cole, do we have any idea on the prizes this year? (*cough*worldsplaces*cough*)

Kempley and I have called dibs on the masters Worlds invites. :D

As for prizes, in previous years in each age group, it has been T2 for travel awards and invites without travel/accomodation for T4. But with the reduced worlds places generally this year, I'd be tempted to expect only travel awards for T2 in each age group and nothing else.

I might have said the same, if I had any shred of hope of getting there (as you may have realised, I have become very cynical).

For the minority of Gym go-ers who haven't played at Nationals before, I offer you these didbits of advice:

1) Plan out your travel arrangements well in advance
Woburn Safari Park is almost impossible to reach without a car. Arrange transportation with parents/friends ideally as soon as you've decided that you're going. Alternatively, attempt to arrange some sort of group transport with your league/tournament comrades. This may be helpful for parents who are further away who cannot feasibly take their child down to Woburn and back for the day. You'll also want to plan out accomodation if necessary.

2) Be organised when it comes to attending/playing.
A potential Worlds invite isn't worth losing because of tardiness. Get there around 30 minutes before registration to familarise yourself with the surroundings, learn where the important places are (cafes, toilets, etc) and take your place in the queue. Spend your time waiting filling in a decklist. Arriving late can result in a 1st round loss or not being able to play in the tournament. Don't let that happen.

When it comes to playing, do not assume that your opponent will have damage counters/dice/coins/markers for Poison/Burn/Imprison/Shock-Wave. Bring your own, as you should to any tournament.

3) Prepare for weather/hang about.
In past years, there have been delays for 2 or more hours. This was a huge problem last year considering horrendous heat. One of the Scottish Junior players fainted from the heat. Don't let yourself get into that position. Wear comfortable clothes and dress for warm weather, and considering bringing along some water or sun tan lotion, particularly if you, your guardian or family intend to explore the rest of the park.

Many will cope with the delays by simply playing cards. However, many get bored too easily. Bring something else to pass the time, such as an MP3 player or a book.

4) Pay attention to what the judges say.
This probably can't be emphasised enough. The judges will be as stressed as you are if not more so and they are only looking out for your own benefit. Failure to listen to them when they're making rulings could result in big punishments. Give them the respect they deserve.

5) Bring a mobile phone.
Knowing first hand the difficulties they suffered last year, if you are relying on others for transport, you need to have some way of contacting them. Prepare for delays, prepare for the tournament to overrun, ask whoever is helping you out to prepare for them too. A good thank you for this eventuality is recommended.

6) Remember - it is a game.
Yes, it is competitive on the day. Yes, your mind will be on the Worlds invite. But you must remember that it is still just a game - not a matter of life or death. Keep in mind what you're playing the game for - a fun experience and to make friends - even if others don't.

Hope this advice can be of use.
Cole

7) Don't expect to see the park.
1:30PM starts, need I say more...
8) Don't even try arranging a bus from Brighton
That was a great thread.
9) No fanta
lol

In all seriousness though do bring some water as playing all day be be very exhausting. Last year I had a serious headache that realy put me off playing - Heat/high-stakes close games against good players isn't a good mix. And please bring a decklist, it speeds up registration so much.

bring a torch in case it is overcast!

My Nationals report said:
The long wait of 2006 was far off the tired, weary players of 2007 armed with torches camping out on Woburn after the eight-hour administration. All was well but just as Kempley was about to play his game-winning card lions attacked!

Don't tempt fate lol.

The long wait of 2006 was far off the tired, weary players of 2007 armed with torches camping out on Woburn after the eight-hour administration. All was well but just as Kempley was about to play his game-winning card lions attacked!

WTH?

the story's about the UK Nationals. How more on-topic can you get? :biggrin: :nonono:

At no point did your (albeit "exciting", considering the rules of discussion at the top) post contain the words "UK, Nationals, National Championships".

This could've just as easily be the 27th Annual Pogo Stick International Swap Meet. And those were card lions, indeed.

But yes, back on topic. Who's a Nationals first timer this year?

Back