Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Virginia's 2011 State Championships Announcement

totoro

The Pokémon TCG SPT Championships for the Commonwealth of Virginia!!!!!

Date:
March 19, 2011

Time: Onsite Registration begins at 9:00 AM

6624 West Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230

Hotel Website

Yes, Virginia, States will be at a hotel this year! A block of rooms has been reserved for travelers wishing to stay over at the rate of $89.00/night. Call 888-272-6232 and specify that you are a part of the Pokémon TCG State Championships to receive this discounted rate.

Bring your DS!!! One lucky player with a Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver game will receive each of the three SHINY legendary dogs from the recent Game Stop giveaway. These will be TRADES, but I will trade the three doggies for ANYTHING. The dogs come exactly as I got them from GameStop. They have NOT been raised or had items altered in any way. Only players with their DS system and one of the above games and who are willing to trade me three Pokes for the shinies will be allowed to register for this special door prize!!

Last edited:
You guys should have a pre-tourney test event up there on Friday.

That's a hot idea.

It is doable, but the entire event would need to be the responsibility of someone different than David (he'll be in State's Main Event mode).

There'd, also, need to be a max # of participants limit put in place. This would enable the planning to contain the event within a time frame that won't prove to adversely affect the following day's event.

It can be done. It would just need to be a wholehearted effort - given the potential for largescale enrollment.

If not...

there's always... show up Friday and playtest with whoever is there.... lol

actually, I'll be in Japan-hosting planning mode. Our Japanese students and teachers arrive on the 20th. Believe it or not, states is my "break" from planning for that little shindig!!

There'd, also, need to be a max # of participants limit put in place. This would enable the planning to contain the event within a time frame that won't prove to adversely affect the following day's event.
ew!

On that note though, R_A has a point. I don't see why a full on swiss rounds event needs to be done. Why not run the pre-event test tournament as 8-man "pick up" events? These run faster because each pod waits for less games to finish, so players may be able to play more games than they would if everyone was thrown into a 5-round event. It also gives players the ability to test more decks than they would if put into a big swiss event because they'd be able to switch after 3 games or less.

Single-elim is sanctionable, right? There could be a number of sanctioned events scheduled with numerous unsanctioned events run between or after them if you can't sanction them all.

I'd be up for judging any pre-tourney event the night before, but I won't be arriving on scene until around 9PM.

That's a hot idea.

It is doable, but the entire event would need to be the responsibility of someone different than David (he'll be in State's Main Event mode).

It can be done. It would just need to be a wholehearted effort - given the potential for largescale enrollment.

If not...

there's always... show up Friday and playtest with whoever is there.... lol

I mean yeah Dave's busy, but hasn't Tim (owlie) run a pre-event in the past?
Anyone in Richmond area could do it. Actually, ANYONE could do it. It's just a test event.

You don't need to sanction it.

You only need to be organized in approach.

The issue would be whether or not the play area would be well-tended so it would not, in any way, create issues for the main event on Saturday.

This means, whoever attempts to pull this off would need to be trustworthy to:

1. Make sure the area is cleaned up afterwards.
2. Could be trusted to maintain order during/throughout the event so there are NO problems that fall under the "State Pokemon" responsbility umbrella.
3. All tables/chairs will need to be in "Presentation order and condition" for the main event on Saturday.​
In other words, the event cannot create a situation that the "States crew" will need to deal with the next day.

It can be done; it's just a matter of who can be trusted to do it WITHOUT the need of Mr. Tuskey to micromanage (or even be concerned with).

If you are talking about the hotel room guys, sorry, but we don't get it until Sat AM--for all I know, there could be a wedding rehearsal dinner in the same space Friday eve. If you are talking about any of the local tournament hosts, Owlie North has run events at several local venues. We will, of course, have league on Friday as usual, so couldn't that area be used as well??

If you are talking about the hotel room guys, sorry, but we don't get it until Sat AM--for all I know, there could be a wedding rehearsal dinner in the same space Friday eve. If you are talking about any of the local tournament hosts, Owlie North has run events at several local venues. We will, of course, have league on Friday as usual, so couldn't that area be used as well??

League play ends & play testing begins @ 9:00pm. See Local Tournaments > Virginia State Championship tuneups for further details. :wink:

Last edited:
1. Make sure the area is cleaned up afterwards.
3. All tables/chairs will need to be in "Presentation order and condition" for the main event on Saturday.
In other words, the event cannot create a situation that the "States crew" will need to deal with the next day.
You be careful, R_A. You're starting to sound like me :cool:

Let's watch as everyone unwittingly techs against DarthPika again...

I swear it happens EVERY year, and it's always the most random decks.

The Pokémon TCG SPT Championships for the Commonwealth of Virginia!!!!!

Date:
March 19, 2011

Time: Onsite Registration begins at 9:00 AM

6624 West Broad St
Richmond, VA 23230

Hotel Website

Yes, Virginia, States will be at a hotel this year! A block of rooms has been reserved for travelers wishing to stay over at the rate of $89.00/night. Call 888-272-6232 and specify that you are a part of the Pokémon TCG State Championships to receive this discounted rate.

Bring your DS!!! One lucky player with a Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver game will receive each of the three SHINY legendary dogs from the recent Game Stop giveaway. These will be TRADES, but I will trade the three doggies for ANYTHING. The dogs come exactly as I got them from GameStop. They have NOT been raised or had items altered in any way. Only players with their DS system and one of the above games and who are willing to trade me three Pokes for the shinies will be allowed to register for this special door prize!!

Hey Sensei
You make great tournaments! Truegamerx and I will most likely be coming.

Molly Motes

Back