Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why are people scared of Dusknoir LV. X?

People are saying that the Poke-POWER "Ectoplasm" is broken. You manage to knock out Dusknoir LV. X, and it gets put into play as a Stadium card, with the effect:

"Put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokemon between turns."

As a Stadium card, though, it's not just your opponent doing this to you, it's also you doing this to your opponent! It works both ways.

So, someone please clarify for me why this thing is so feared and being called a beast...

People are saying that the Poke-POWER "Ectoplasm" is broken. You manage to knock out Dusknoir LV. X, and it gets put into play as a Stadium card, with the effect:

"Put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent's Pokemon between turns."

As a Stadium card, though, it's not just your opponent doing this to you, it's also you doing this to your opponent! It works both ways.

So, someone please clarify for me why this thing is so feared and being called a beast...

lol you wish. it only effect the person that doesnt own the noir

think its any good now?

The second it becomes a stadium, and you don't have a stadium or attack to trump it, the game becomes 'take all 5 prizes before your pokemon get spreaded to death'. Of course, if you have any spread healing, then that can help tremendously, but most decks don't.

...or just counter stadium...

...or just don't knock it out...

...or knock it out with something besides damage...

in addition to agreeing to everything said before i would say that you don't have to be afraid of it, but you do have to be able to counter it if it comes into play. having no counter-strategy will pretty much doom you to lose.

If nothing else, Dusknoir lv. X is a guaranteed +20 to everything in play (because your opponent can't get rid of it until their turn, by which time they'd have taken 2 rounds of Ectoplasm), which is good in general but especially nice with something like Bronzong (MD) or the Spirit Pulse Dusknoir.

However, if your opponent doesn't play any counter stadiums or Lunatones at all, you basically put them on a clock just like Desert Ruins and Cursed Stone used to do. If they can't draw all 6 prizes, bench you out, or heal (a la something like Torterra (DP or Tangrowth (SF)) within a set amount of turns, they will get overloaded with damage and lose a lot of Pokemon at once. This is causing people to add stadiums and/or Lunatone to their decks solely for the counter ability, and that is a sign in and of itself that Ectoplasm is something to fear.

The ability to retrieve it back once it is discarded (if it ever is) is great as well, meaning that you can force your opponent to deal with it again later. The Shadow Command Dusknoir's ability to snipe Claydol is also nice because it will make it harder for the opponent to draw into their counter stadiums, especially if Wager is factored into the equation.

All that being said, there are ways around Dusknoir lv. X including but not limited to healing (already mentioned) and getting KOs via Burn/Poison/Confusion or by placing counters, which Gengar can and will easily do. Then again, the Dusknoir lv. X player can simply play Unown G and take away those options.

Yeah, the Dusknoir lv.X going back to the player's hand is messed up. They are going to have another Dusknoir in play, and your going to have to worry about the spreading all over again. I wish Mesprit was an option against it, but I believe it says that the opponent can't use any Poke-Powers during their next turn, and Dusknoir lv.X will activate during your turn.

Yeah, the Dusknoir lv.X going back to the player's hand is messed up. They are going to have another Dusknoir in play, and your going to have to worry about the spreading all over again. I wish Mesprit was an option against it, but I believe it says that the opponent can't use any Poke-Powers during their next turn, and Dusknoir lv.X will activate during your turn.

The only card that I can think of that can stop it is Glaceon Lv. X. Otherwise the only solution is putting damage counters on it or affect it with a special condition.

Drew

It would ALREADY be a super broken card with that power alone.... But the fact that it goes back to the hand is just beyond belief.

...or just counter stadium...

...or just don't knock it out...

...or knock it out with something besides damage...

Counter stadiums is legit.

Not ever knocking it out just means they will continue to run over you with whichever Dusknoir they're playing under the lv. X. Therefore, not legit.

Unown G takes care of the KOs that would come from things other than damage. With Gengar on the rise I'm sure more people are going to be playing this card anyway so it isn't like it will be an uncommon sight. Therefore, not legit.

Now I just want to go more in-depth on why the spreading from Ectoplasm can be so effective. If the Dusknoir player is running 3 regular (any mix) and 1 lv. X, it is entirely feasible that they could spread at least 60 damage to everything in the course of one game (from 3 KOs), assuming that after each Ectoplasm activation the opponent immediately counters it every time. Factor in something like Bronzong and of course all that damage is amplified, pun THOROUGHLY INTENDED. If the opponent doesn't have the counter stadium for even one turn, they're taking another 20 to everything before they get their next chance (end of their turn, end of yours). This will remain the case every turn they aren't able to counter. A total of seven turns total without counters over the course of a game will lead to most Pokemon being KOed (via the accumulation of a whopping 140 to everything). This isn't even factoring in Spiritomb, Bronzong, etc..

One qualm I do have about Dusknoir lv. X is that although its regular counterparts are all nice for different reasons, they're also all expensive attackers, making it hard to get any sort of speed advantage going or retaliate after KOs. This is something else to be exploited when playing against it.

With unown G, DuskGar really becomes a pain to deal with because of the two powers the main attackers have upon their deaths. There's only really one SOLID way to get rid of them with an Unown G attached that I can think of.

butlerforhire: ive become a real fan of your posts. you explain your reasoning for things unlike a lot of folks, and most of the time i find myself agreeing with you. keep it comin.

anyway yea im scared of the ghost myself.

Dusknoir Lv.X is only really awesome because of Dusknoir SF #1. This thing will pressure you to get the KO without wasting too many turns on making a setup which would get Dusknoir knocked out without damage. You usually take the bullet for Dusknoir being stadium for one turn than getting sniped for 120 to any of your pokémon. Better get protected with those Unown Gs...

Bench damage and Bronzong/Spiritomb are the few ways to circle around careful Dusknoir Lv.X player. I'd love to see Dusknoir Lv.X teching in Torkoal to be sent out when you're trying to Warp/Cyclone for KO, although I think that tech is less than optimal in most matchups.

But without counter stadium or stadium remover, this thing ends games.

butlerforhire: ive become a real fan of your posts. you explain your reasoning for things unlike a lot of folks, and most of the time i find myself agreeing with you. keep it comin.

anyway yea im scared of the ghost myself.

That's exactly what I was thinking, anyway, look at my sig.

Why wouldn't Dusknoir - Body wouldn't be effective with his Lv.x ? It just stresses out the opponent while you gently sentup your pokémon. No?

Kill it on the bench?

Sadly thats not always easy. And even if you do, they usually will just be able to send out a new noir, premier ball, and there ya go, back where you started. Its not just the power that makes it nasty, its the amount of HP. Having to keep dealing with 140 hp dusknoirs isn't to much fun.

Back