Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

D/P attack type changes...

Shiloh Phoenix

so, according to this , attacks will be special and physical based on the actual attack , not type anymore...this will change the metagame completely... explosion a special attack? dragon claw is physical? This brings up yet another point, type changes within the same elemental type. such as fire punch being physical, but fire blast being special.does it mean that if they hit another pokemon with their body, it's physical, and with powers, it's special? this will be a very confusing generation...there goes my metagross.

i have a feeling, personally, that something is being misinterpreted here.

but i may end up being wrong, who knows.

Just take it as it comes, new generation, new teams new Pokemons, its about having fun, so just have fun experimenting with the new changes.

what dude this sux. So JJ should i just keep my teams on emerald when D/P comes out

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Pablo said:
Just take it as it comes, new generation, new teams new Pokemons, its about having fun, so just have fun experimenting with the new changes.

true

Last edited:
I like it to, but that would mean I would have to reraise my team all over again. I hope this doesn't turn out true.

Alright, let's consider this example: Thyplosion hits a Bulbasaur with Fire Blast, a Special Attack, but Bulbasaur won't suffer Weakness-thing. But if Thyplosion hits Bulbasaur with a Fire Punch, a Physical Attack, Bulbasaur gets horribly hurt? That's LAME.

Lord9511 said:
Alright, let's consider this example: Thyplosion hits a Bulbasaur with Fire Blast, a Special Attack, but Bulbasaur won't suffer Weakness-thing. But if Thyplosion hits Bulbasaur with a Fire Punch, a Physical Attack, Bulbasaur gets horribly hurt? That's LAME.
:confused: whered you get that, exactly. they didnt say weaknesses were changing, they said attack types were changing (physical/nonphysical, which is already partially implemented in Ruby/Sapphire+, hence my thinking theirs a misinterpretation of what they said). it would still be weak to both fire attacks. it would only take a little more from phrysical attacks, since Bulbasaur's Sp. Defense is higher than its Defense, but not enough to spit at in a weakness situation IMO.

it actually makes somewhat more sense with the change, putting them at what would logically make sense. as I said, this is already partially implemented in Ruby/Sapphire+ for affectors like Static and so forth. like with Dark, the only real non-physical dark type attack is Faint Attack (maybe not explicitly, but this is a general case from some quick research last week), all the rest are physical, but Dark is a Special attack type. so it would make more sense for Physical Defense to be the stat that they go against, and Faint Attack go against Special Defense. but weaknesses wouldnt change

Last edited:
This next word's going to so be autocensored, but whatever: Quitcher*****in'. This is probably the best DP news I've heard, because it's a change that makes sense. It only "destroys teams" when players suck so much they can't adapt to the idea that maybe, just maybe, some attacks really shouldn't be special-based just because they hit with fire, or electricity, or what the **** ever. At the very least, it looks like it might do some cleaning up with the sheer stupidity of Dragon being special-based, and Ghost being attack-based (or at the very least make attacks of the respective types that the majority of them can use effectively).

It's not a case of "suddenly weakness doesn't apply". That's just being stupid. It just means that if you blast a Bulbasaur with Fire Punch, it factors your Attack stat and ostensibly Bulbasaur's Defense into the damage formula. It still takes weakness and applicable STAB, and item modifiers like Charcoal. If you Fire Blast it, it uses your Special Attack and the Bulbasaur's Special Defense. This is not rocket science. This is not destructive to the game. It's a much needed tweak that fixes a lot more problems than the bellyaching in this thread makes it seem like it's creating. So shut up with your whining already.

Everyone needs to keep in mind that this is NOT confirmed yet...according to WPM on the Beach:

Bangiras has translated the following information from the official Japanese Yahoo D/P website. On the website, you get to talk to several Gamefreak officials, who speculate on the Diamond and Pearl games. However, as Bangiras informed me, Gamefreak has said many things in the past about their games that turned out to be false (in previous generations). Thus, this information is not 100% true yet, although some of it most likely could be (how can you THINK there will be an entire underground world?). After all, Gamefreak always works on the beginning of the game last, since they have the most trouble deciding what to do, so the elemental types could very well change from what is listed below.

So this is not a definite yet. There may be no changes to Attack/Special Attack.

If (IF!!) this does change, I'm not sure what I think of it yet. It would definitely destroy the majority of the standard movesets out there, which sucks for the people that bred and used TMs to get the best sets and want to trade their Pokemon over to D/P. However, it would make things interesting--new is not always bad, this just happens to be incredibly inconvenient.

that would be awesome, it would make sense too. "fire punch" won't be special attack, but physical, its gonna add a whoooole new level of playing. im looking forward to it.

It would definitely destroy the majority of the standard movesets out there, which sucks for the people that bred and used TMs to get the best sets and want to trade their Pokemon over to D/P

Who cares, besides those who can only think in terms of the "standard" movesets? They don't even see that new "standard" movesets would pop up in short order anyway, making their complete crippling out of playing due to a lack of original skill last only a short while.

Yes, I take a bleak view on those who can't do anything but use the "best" movesets, but come on, people take this game too seriously.

Holy shnap, This means Hitmonchan will be USEFUL.

And i really like the change too, It gives the game more depth, And a new level of strategy. I for one hope it's true.

~Tj

I know you're not whining, Shiloh. What I was referring to was the ignorant bullcrap like:

- "what dude this sux."
- "This is a terrible idea. Like others have said, this will completely destroy Pokemon teams."
- "my sapphire game would be useless",
- "Alright, let's consider this example: Thyplosion hits a Bulbasaur with Fire Blast, a Special Attack, but Bulbasaur won't suffer Weakness-thing. But if Thyplosion hits Bulbasaur with a Fire Punch, a Physical Attack, Bulbasaur gets horribly hurt? That's LAME."
- "Exactly, thats why I hope this isn't true." (In reference to the directly above)

Back