Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Do you play with you deck side ways?

But, it is not allowed by the play area setup rules.

The playing field has to be set just like the playmats show. There was a discussion regarding this, somewhere in this forum, but I am not finding it right now.

Last edited:
I play wit my dec sidways but I have to constantly turn it back when I remeber to. Its an anoyying habit because I know its not allowed by pop. I was called on it at nationals where they said the only thing I could have sideways was my discard pile...

But, it is not allowed by the play area setup rules.

The playing field has to be set just like the playmats show. There was a discussion regarding this, somewhere in this forum, but I am not finding it right now.

Sorry if this is off topic, but if that's the case then why can't we stack out prizes like the Japanese DP playmat shows? Do we only have to copy most of what the playmat says? I would prefer to have my deck sideways because it's easier to draw cards, but I dodn't mind having it straight since those are the rules. But it still confuses me why we don't do all of what the playmat says.
Also, if that was the case then how come we can have out discard pile sideways?

Yeah i'm one of the people how like to play with my deck side ways because of that fact, it's easier to draw cards.

I played in Worlds with my deck on the left hand side of the table, and no judge told me to put the deck where it says DECK on the mat...

A lot of people mirror the mat and arrange their prizes in numerous ways, so the prizes and what mirror they are seem to not matter too much to POP.

i play yugioh so i play my ygo deck side ways becuase i play tons of remove from play(rfp) decks.
you need to bve able to le the difference between your deck grave and wats removed from play
becuase the entire deck runs on how many cards have been removed. its annoying but alwasy
play my pokemon deck straight im im getting in to the habbit of playing my ygo straight as well
cuase i dont play rfp decks now that im more involeed in pokemon. but yeah it is kinda easier to draw
but things can get confusing for your oppent. so, yes i under stand the conflict.

While it may make it easier to draw a card if the deck is sideways, it also makes it easier to see a card your're not supposed to if you accidentally grab 2 cards as you are starting your draw.

BDS

It's not allowed not because of the playmat, but because POP has said its not allowed. Their reason, as BDS states, is that it makes it easy to sneak a peek at an extra card. Whether you would think to do this or not doesn't matter. POP has said its not allowed and PTOs and TOs should enforce it.

Regarding other layout concerns: It is also important to keep your deck & discard on the opposite side of the playing field from your prizes.

All prizes must be visible.

All cards attached to a Pokemon in play must be visible.

Pokemon on the bench must be in one line, you can't do three in one line and two above them and the active above them, like a pyramid.

This is all so that game state is clear and easy to see.

It's not allowed not because of the playmat, but because POP has said its not allowed. Their reason, as BDS states, is that it makes it easy to sneak a peek at an extra card. Whether you would think to do this or not doesn't matter. POP has said its not allowed and PTOs and TOs should enforce it.

Regarding other layout concerns: It is also important to keep your deck & discard on the opposite side of the playing field from your prizes.

All prizes must be visible.

All cards attached to a Pokemon in play must be visible.

Pokemon on the bench must be in one line, you can't do three in one line and two above them and the active above them, like a pyramid.

This is all so that game state is clear and easy to see.

Man I just put my bench Pokemon all on top of eachother in a stack.

Man I just put my bench Pokemon all on top of eachother in a stack.

Well, the reason I bring it up is because people have been playing like that, even at big events like Nats and Worlds.
I understand there are space issues at certain venues, but it seems to have become "normal" for some to have a split-level bench.

I usually have to put just 1 underneath, because there is simply NO WAY you can fit 5 pokemon in a line with visible energies and tools.

Not allowed, it makes it easier to peek at your next card.
And for God sakes makes it easier to draw a card? If you have so much of a difficulty drawing a card I would suggest you leave pokemon and take up another hobby, like Parcheesi.

For my casuals I like to shuffle my deck by spreading all the cards on the ground/table then swirling them around for a minute or two. Then, I just gather up the cards in one big cluster with the different cards going random ways. I don't know why I do it, but my opponents tend to get a good laugh out of it.

Not allowed, it makes it easier to peek at your next card.
And for God sakes makes it easier to draw a card? If you have so much of a difficulty drawing a card I would suggest you leave pokemon and take up another hobby, like Parcheesi.

Yeah, it makes it easier to draw a card, Drawing a card from a vertical deck just feels unnatural after having my deck horizontal for so long. Try it some time at a League, you might be surprised.

The way I usually have my deck is on my right hand side (like the playmats suggest) and I draw with my left hand, forearm across my play area. It's very comfortable.

One thing you can do is turn just the top card of your deck 90 degrees prior to drawing it, as part of the motion of drawing the card. It lets you pick it up more comfortably and helps avoid picking up more than 1 card at the same time. I hope that's legal..

Back