Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Expert Belt = really bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghetto Overlord

20 more hp and 20 more damage? is it really worth the extra prize? the answer is no, not right now. What is the meta game right now? From BR's we are looking at flygon, gengar, gyrados, and beedrill. what do these four decks have in common? the answer is big HP and big damage. with the exception of gengar but with people putting in relicanths do you really want to put more tools on the feild? So ignoring gengar we have flygon, beedrill and gyrados. since the release of the AoA set the hype is around mainly salamance X. so the big three from last time and a possible new comer that all do a decent amount of damage, how far will you get on 20+ hp? the reality is not far.

Example A: gyrados V. flychamp
I chose those 2 decks cause most of the threads on here are about mega HP mega damage decksand these decks have both

my turn: i have set up one of my gyrados and attack for 30 onto a chatot or a stall or whatever

opponet's turn: they send up a fresh flygon and power swing. ive used flygon for about a month now and is definitly my cities choice, and the average i do with power swing this early into the game is 80-90. so we'll just say 90, BUT! they have the handey dandey expert belt so they can do 110. unfortunitly that doesnt knock me out cause my gyrados has 130 hp.

my turn: set up a little bit more and attack for 90. so they have 30 hp left

opponet's turn: set up a little bit more, including a level up and power swing for 100. but with expert belt it goes to 120. for the first KO

my turn: the flygon which now is a level X only has 60HP left so i can easily ko it with a gyrados, or even a crobat and saybleye if i wanted to. but lets say i can pick up a dark energy/rosannes/crobat/insert important piece to this equation here, so i send up a gyrados and knock out your flygon lvx.

opponet's turn: okay now what? you just went from being a prize head to being one behind, but youre thinking its okay i have position, i can draw first blood on the gyrados. really? do you really have an edge cause if it takes two turns for us to kill each other and im a prize ahead, it doesnt sound like you have much of an edge any more.

Conclusion of example A: 20 HP doesnt go to far when people are doing 70-90 damage. like in the format now. next example is about the AoA salamance LvX

Example B: Salamance V Gyrados
First of all im not talking Salacatty but straight salamnce

opponet's turn: you set up a gyrados with an expert belt and KO my bagon

my turn: i candy into a slamance (the one with the body) and give him a fire, pass

opponet's turn: you ko the uxie i set up as a stall with an amaing 120 damage

my turn: send up salamance and rosannes/bebe/already have it in my hand for a water and crobat. give him a water due to his body thats all i need. level up and target you gyrados with my power. and play crobat/pluspower/bucks but most likely crobat cause that what most poele online are pairing with him. so drop crobat give your gyrados an extra 10 and attack with steam twister. taking 3 prizes. so now the game is HALF over for me. and once again i have a prize lead.

Conclusion of example B: Anyone see what im getting at? Anybody?

discuss please

Last edited:
Which is why you play Expert Belt GOOD, rather then in the crummy ways you explained. There is a big flaw in B too. Your Salamence will do 120 damage - 130 Crobat included. But isn't there the thing that Gyarados with Belt happens to have 150 HP? Unless you run a Belt yourself, you'll fail to OHKO the Gyara. And if you belt your own Mence, then Gyara himself will return with a 2HKO, taking 2 prizes in addition to the 2 it already recieved from Bagon and Uxie. You also lose considerable resources invested in getting out the Mence.
Also, why should Gyara EVER equip Expert Belt when it stares down a Bagon/Uxie? It will only equip it for a quick way to deal with stuff that it really needs removed from the field, AND when the player has a SSU or two ready.

Expert Belt is dangerous. Let's take, again, Gyarados. Gyarados tends to deal 90, and with Pluspower/Crobat G to its disposal, it can from time to time up that damage. With Expert Belt, that changes from time to time to almost constantly. Super Scoop Up allows it to drop the Belt when its not required anymore. 150 HP is going a LONG way - 130 is not in OHKO range for a lot, but a pluspower from Beedrill or a previous snipe from Kingdra can mean a lot of difference - Belt will hinder them.

Then theres the Tankish stuff, the things that are hard to KO and recover health as they go, like Butterfree and Nidoqueen. These cards dont hit hard, but with the Belt, not only do they gain more HP (and thus survivability), they also gain a way to actually pack a punch. If we pit your little FlyChamp against a Belted Butterfree backed by a few Cherrims, you'll soon see that while Butterfree 2-shots you, you won't return the favor even with a full bench of evolutions. And Butterfree is set up a LOT faster.

And thats just Butterfree. The possibilities are endless.

Edit: Thank you for articulating an opinion w/o being disrespectful - RA

Last edited by a moderator:
Expert Belt is a strong card, but I don't like it.

It's a kind anti-balancing card for a game. The deck that's already ahead will beat the opponent even faster with Expert Belt. A deck that's in disadvantage most likely won't use Expert Belt. It may be a very strategic card and have some nice combos (Butterfree, Tangrowth, hit-and-run attacks etc), but in my eyes, Expert Belt is bad for the game. Besides the anti-balancing effect it also makes T1/T2 donks more common.

In the format, we have very few balancing cards (Upper Energy is the only one that works for all decks, and it will be useless with the next set featuring DCE). Games could be a lot more interesting when the losing players has a better chance to get a comeback. Unfortunally, Expert Belt does the opposite.

Okay, you have a pretty good point about this, although I have an objection. First, I don't think a player would play an Expert Belt knowing they'd probably get KO'd next turn, giving themselves a huge prize disadvantage. I'd only play Expert Belt (like a lot of other people) if I know I'm pretty safe from a 2-prize KO.

Expert belt if used right is quite a force to be reckoned with.

For most ex's its like +30 hp and +20 damage so its sorta a fair trade-off.

Shuppet anyone? Expert Belt is great when used properly as Coppy90 said. You wouldn't put it down unless you feel you are safe, it won't be in all decks or at least shouldn't be (well for me I guess it would be good if I face an opponent stupid enough to do just what you feel will happen, LOL), I think it is a great card for decks like Shuppet/Uxie or decks like Tangrowth and stuff which are actually the decks I play. LOL

Expert belt is one of the BEST cards in the format.

It's probably one of the best compromises for a tool as well. +20 damage and +20 HP at the expense of one prize. If you play it smart, you can make up that prize card with the extra damage and HP you'll be benefiting from.

The other thing is what do you do when your opponent is down to their last prize? Taking two won't make a difference, so throw that Expert Belt on your last attacker and swing away with no consequence.

It's probably one of the best compromises for a tool as well. +20 damage and +20 HP at the expense of one prize. If you play it smart, you can make up that prize card with the extra damage and HP you'll be benefiting from.

The other thing is what do you do when your opponent is down to their last prize? Taking two won't make a difference, so throw that Expert Belt on your last attacker and swing away with no consequence.

I agree with this and that is basically what I said too. LOL. It is a great card for certain decks, however in some decks it might not be perfect but as I said, who would put it down if you are about to die anyways? If they did and it was a toruney :biggrin:, If I make the mistake then :nonono: LOL

I wish there were MORE cards that gave up prizes as penalties. Would make the game speed increase drastically. Maybe we could have our 30 min limit again? Lol.

Worst? It turns Kingdra into Kingdra EX with an 80 HP attack for one water energy. How in the crap is that bad? I mean, do you honestly think he's gonna be dying in one shot to anything in this format and would you be stupid enough to leave a Kingdra in the active position near KO for your opponent to take advantage of it?

The trade off is stellar, even moreso when you consider the amount of damage this demonic card can create. If you're throwing this card down haphazardly, then your opponent deserves in twenty ways to take 2 prizes off of you.

Personally, I'm really happy to see Expert Belt enter the format, because it reverts the format to EX days, where it was all about doing specific amounts of damage to get the KO's that you needed. The fact that attaching Expert Belt is entirely optional means that you have to weigh the costs of the card vs. the benefits every time that you want to play it, and you have to decide if the damage increase and extra survivability is worth giving your opponent and extra prize. If thrown down haphazardly, then sure Expert Belt is mediocre at best, but if played strategically, Expert Belt drastically increases options.

this post is almost offensive....

you used a very unintelligent and NOT well-thought out example, as NO top player will ever do what you described above.

go ahead and DONT put expert belt on an SP that can be turned back to your hand when its 10 HP away from dying.
go ahead and DONT put expert belt on nidoqueen with a moonlight stadium in play.
go ahead and DONT put expert belt on the infernape 4 on the bench that already has 3 energies on it that can now 1HKO everything in the format without the use of crobat drops.
and im not even going to insult anyones intelligence by mentioning kingdra.... i mean.. come on man
..... :/

In what deck? most of the decks ran two shot anything regardles of the 20 HP boost
The other thing is what do you do when your opponent is down to their last prize? Taking two won't make a difference, so throw that Expert Belt on your last attacker and swing away with no consequence.Yeah thats pro, im going to wait holding one card in my hand until the get down to one prize so i can do 20 more damage. if thats how you roll man but honestly id rather have another rosannes or another preimer ball or something i can use more consistantly instead of only late game

Worst? It turns Kingdra into Kingdra EX with an 80 HP attack for one water energy. How in the crap is that bad? I mean, do you honestly think he's gonna be dying in one shot to anything in this format no i dont reread i definitly said it would take 2 turnsand would you be stupid enough to leave a Kingdra in the active position near KO for your opponent to take advantage of it? sooooo your plan is to attack once and retreat him to the bench to never get hit again? so instead of giveing your opponet an extra prize you are going to fill up a bench space?

The trade off is stellar, even moreso when you consider the amount of damage this demonic card can create. the amount of damage? 20? If you're throwing this card down haphazardly, then your opponent deserves in twenty ways to take 2 prizes off of you.

this post is almost offensive....

you used a very unintelligent and NOT well-thought out example, as NO top player will ever do what you described above.the exaples above were just to say that even with the 20 hp boost that it still could be one shoted

go ahead and DONT put expert belt on an SP that can be turned back to your hand when its 10 HP away from dying. rather have an e-gain
go ahead and DONT put expert belt on nidoqueen with a moonlight stadium in play. confused on what youre saying here are you saying that i should waste slots in my deck so a teched queen can attack and have a lil bit more effect or are you saying i should spam queen and expert belts in a really difficult to set up style that just cycles threw the queens and inorder to set up to its full potential needs 4 pokemon on the feild?
go ahead and DONT put expert belt on the infernape 4 on the bench that already has 3 energies on it that can now 1HKO everything in the format without the use of crobat drops.
and im not even going to insult anyones intelligence by mentioning kingdra.... i mean.. come on man
..... :/

The worst card in the format is DP Bibarel. Just FYI. ;)lol k you got me on that one

responses to your postes are in bold

This thread is a little difficult to justify. Some people just won't understand how something works until it works in front of them (Regigigas was one for me. AMU was another, and Palkia Lock was a third). Expert Belt will be like that for a lot of people.

Don't think of Expert Belt as a card, just think of the things it can do to cards already in the format. A 150 HP Pokemon that does 80/20 for 1 energy? Even if it does let your opponent take 2 cards, isn't that so worth it? If it gets one-shotted it gets one-shotted - it happens to every deck and you can't let one example ruin you completely.

Joke thread right?

/modifies response

Calling Expert Belt the worst card in the format is like calling Claydol the worst card in the format, because Claydol is useless when it gets powerlocked. Everything is useless when powerlocked. It's normal.

/modifies response

Calling Expert Belt the worst card in the format is like calling Claydol the worst card in the format, because Claydol is useless when it gets powerlocked. Everything is useless when powerlocked. It's normal.

kinda see what youre gettin at but they are different.

cards you play can come in 3 forms ones that hurt you ones that are nuetral and ones that help you. claydol is used because it gets you cards which is good, and when power locked its nuetral so it doesnt do much. So its on the higher to nuetral end of the specturm. But with expert belt you might break even prize wise (nuetral) or you could end up behind (hurts you) which is on the nutral to negative end of the spectrum.

/modifies response

Calling Expert Belt the worst card in the format

changed the name to something less dramatic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back