Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Fan Fiction contest - Completed

Lucario EX

Moderator<br>Fanfic Contest Host
Well, since everyone's waiting for me to post this...

This is an elimination style contest. If I get enough participants, every round, anyone can vote for the best and worst entry. All competitors must vote every round, but for everyone else, it's entirely optional. All votes for worst entry subtract one point, all votes for best entry add one point. At the end of each round, both a winner and a loser are posted. Whoever has the fewest points is eliminated from the contest. Whoever has the most points cannot be eliminated during the next round.

Each round, anyone competing in the contest will write one short Pokemon-related fanfic, with various restrictions. For example, during one round, there might be a requirement to include a Magikarp.

Obviously, follow all PokeGym rules. Also, please keep your entries confidential.

E-mail your fanfics to me, with the round number and your screen name in the subject (ex: Fanfic contest, Lucario EX, R1). Don't send it as an attachment, please. If you lost my e-mail address, LMK and I'll PM you again.

If for whatever reason you can't access the 'Gym during an entire round, or don't have time to write, or even are just plain lazy, the first round that you don't send in a fic, you just won't be able to win or lose. No points lost, no elimination.
This is only once, though. There will be absolutely no exceptions to this rule.

Every positive vote adds one point to your score, every negative vote subtracts one. Points do not carry over from one round to another, except in the case of a tie, when total points will be the first tiebreaker.

If there is a tie for first place, with the exception of the final round, both tied participants will "win" the round.

Rules for voting:

You must have a reason for your vote. (It also, obviously, needs to be a good reason, not just "I don't like this guy's grammar" or "Pikachu sucks, only noobs write about Pikachu" or "You included Bill, he's my favoritest character!") If you honestly can't read someone's fic because of poor spelling/grammar, that's an acceptable reason, but don't vote them for worst because of a few mistakes. Also, just because you like/dislike a specific character, doesn't make the story good/bad.

You must vote for BOTH best AND worst entry. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Send your votes in a PM to me, with reasons for both. The subject should include your screen name and the round number. (example: Contest votes, round 1, Lucario EX)

Deadline is 12:00 am March 25. No one can vote until March 17th, though. (there is a reason for this, but I can't say what it is yet)

If your computer breaks, there's a massive power outage, you're really lazy, etc, lucky you. Everyone gets one pass on voting, just like writing. So, you can not get around to it for any reason, once, and get off scot-free, After that, though, anyone still competing who doesn't vote will get one point subtracted from their score, for that round only.

At the end of the round, I'll send a PM to anyone who asks for one with their score and the reasons given for those votes. So, by explaining in detail what you thought was good or bad about a fanfic, you'll be helping the author improve.

Some examples of good reasons:

The characterization was very accurate/inaccurate.
The idea was interesting and creative/dull and unimaginative.
The round requirement was used in a creative/overly easy way.

Signups are now closed, no exceptions.

[DEL]1: CyberManetric EX[/DEL]
[DEL]2: Kayle[/DEL]
[DEL]3: DarthPika[/DEL]
4: Pikamaster
[DEL]5: Steel Winger[/DEL]
[DEL]6: bullados[/DEL]
[DEL]7: dave321[/DEL]
[DEL]8: Oestrogen[/DEL]
[DEL]9: Cardkeeper[/DEL]
[DEL]10: BlazikenEX[/DEL]
[DEL]11: IronPika[/DEL]
[DEL]12: pokemonrocks777[/DEL]
[DEL]14: ilikegengar[/DEL]
[DEL]15: yellowfire7[/DEL]

Last edited:
Hey Lucario ex, sign me up for this contest! After working on and off for my current fan fic I'd love to write a few short fics.

One quick question, what's the minimum # of paragraphs do the entries need to be?
~Cyber~

Oh my god this looks like so much fun SIGN ME UP

Ummm... I will try really hard to be an active participant. ^ ^ I love writing~!

Edit: Oh, will the top 2 be decided purely by outsider votes?

Hmm... it'd be nice to test my fanfiction skills against others on here. Sign me up, please, and I'll show you what I can do!

Is there a word length requirement (as in a minimum)? I could see me pumping out 2000 word stuff for this but not like 10000 words.

Sign me up I guess!

Well, I am pretty bored these days. I am told I am a pretty good writter, lol. Might as well try a fanfic no? Lol I guess sign me up as well.

All of you should be listed now. Signups will end Tuesday at midnight Eastern time, and details for round 1 will be posted then as well.

BTW, there won't be an extremely high mimimum (maybe 500 words) or an extremely low maximum, IMO (4000 as a default, I think. Any opinions on this?).

I think that sounds good, anyone should be able to write more than 500 words into their story, even if it is a short one, and 4,000 should be high enough to get a good story, they are supposed to be short.

Yeah, I'm late. I got a bad headache yesterday and couldn't stand to look at the computer screen for very long. Anyway, I have all the Round 1 details now.

Deadline: March 11th, 12:00 AM
Word limits: 500-4000 words, since no one's complained about it yet.
Round requirement: Include the colors Red and Blue, in addition to the number 151, somewhere in your story.

Obviously, follow all PokeGym rules. Also, please keep your entries confidential: if you tell your buddy what you wrote, there will be problems.

I'll PM everyone in the contest with my e-mail address. Send your fanfics to that address, with the round number and your screen name in the subject (ex: Fanfic contest, Lucario EX, R1). Don't send it as an attachment, please.

Last edited:
I might need an extra day or so because IIRC that date is very close to when I have a midterm. I'll try my best to get it done before the due date, but college has to come first.

Back