Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Gentlemen, how do we beat Machamp...Gyarados?

Skull Hatter

It's sweeping Cities. Machamps got that pesky resistance, and it's faster than Vilegar and more stable than SP.

So there has to be a way to counter it.

If there isn't I want to be able to buy Luxray Lv. X's for 10$ because it's not used anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sense Honchkrow SV might be showing up to the party, because if you can't outspeed it, weaken it.

And if you can't weaken it, prevent it from setting up with power and/or trainer lock.

I wouldn't say it has a big edge over SP, that's whats keeping it in check. Dialgachomp does have alot of tricks which hurt Gyarados, and Luxchomp has a decent matchup against it.

Are u kidding me with this thread? LuxChomp with Lucario pwns Gyarados. Till the Gyrados player techs in Mankey with a Fighting energy, not as easy since Roseannes is gone. But its pricelss to see those $75 and up Luxray X getting ohko by a lil Mankey ;-)

yes, but luxray gets ohko'd back almost inmediatley, especially with all the new cards from TM.
and gyarados can get more gyarados out then luxchomp can get luxray out

Last edited:
The great thing about Luxchomp which makes it so good, is that it's really easy to adapt to different formats and stay dominant. If recovery is a problem, you can just play more Premier Ball and Aarons.

LuxChomp has the advantage since its not only the Gyarados weakness. Im talking about sniping the Regice early on with a Bat, disruption from Power Sprays not to mention taking early prizes on Sableye with Roserade SP. That was the final match at my Cities and the LuxChomp player easily beat Gyarados 2-0. And the Gyarados player is prolly one of the best Gyarados player there is.

Vilegar still kills Gyarados if you have a continuous trainer lock.
And yes, Luxchomp has a favorable matchup as well.
Steelix with some Judge can beat Gyarados easily.
Magnezone OHKOs it for only two lostzone energy, and if they don't have Rescue attached, it can even do the hit & run for Spiritomb trick while doing 90-110 damage.

Personally, I think Gyarados is just hyped because of all the new tools it got, and of course, because it's so easy to play. That was the same with Jumpluff, which wasn't close as good as SP but played a lot because of its speed and autopilot factor.

I agree that it's not impossible, I play gyarados and usually when I lose to SP it's because the player did three crucial things:
1. power spray my azelf
2. well-timed judge, right after I've impersonated to collect cards which puts me back a turn
3. sniped my regice

I use the regice not only to discard the karps at the beginning, but also against SP to manipulate their board because all their pokemon are basic. I think their lives would be easier if they recognized how important regice is for me and sniped it, especially dialgachomp because I don't have a hope of one-shotting the dialga and I'm relying on regice and warp points for my knock outs.

I've teched in 1-1 Honchkrow SV to counter it.

I've also got Cyclone Energy and Zangoose Plat. to drag out Regice.

Ahem, but Gyarados is anything but hyped. I witnessed it take 3/4 top spots at my BR (1, 2, and 4) and also win in Masters. It is a great deck; anyone saying it's just hyped....is misinformed.

Are u kidding me with this thread? LuxChomp with Lucario pwns Gyarados.

Right, because you needing two/three energy plus one in hand to discard PLUS a Bat drop to OHKO is so much harder than them just throwing up a Gyarados and saying "Tail Revenge".

The ONLY way this happens is if you can stunt their ability to draw into recovery. If they can pull two or three Gyarados in quick succession, you are going to lose.

imo best tactical anti-Gyarados is to take out Regice then find some way to un-fill their bench and Honchkrow SV. But that's clunky and not foolproof.

LOL @ this thread!

Honch SV does nothing to even a mediocre player...Oh, look at that, my bench is full, sorry, your power doesn't work.

Lux/Luc....cool, you scored a OHKO at the expense of 3 energy and a gain (2 on lux, one in hand). I'll see your KO and raise you another, gl getting 3 more energy again while I return KO for 0 again. Oh, and hope I didn't attach rescue energy!

Roserade? Has anyone seen how many warp energy are played this season?!

Luxchomp is a 50-50 matchup, to be completely fair. It really comes down to LC's recovery and spray count. Also comes down to whether the g'dos player is smart and runs 4 volkner to be prepared for uxie's doing nothing.

If you REALLY wanna be cool...
Honchkrow SV a Magikarp to the bench.. then Cursed Droplet it with Gengar Prime :p

Honch SV does nothing to even a mediocre player...Oh, look at that, my bench is full, sorry, your power doesn't work.

C'mon, you know what you're talking about. Don't ignore that Seeker is seeing tons of play at Cities.

If you REALLY wanna be cool...
Honchkrow SV a Magikarp to the bench.. then Cursed Droplet it with Gengar Prime :p

Wow, that's evil.

---------- Post added 11/30/2010 at 08:25 PM ----------

As said in another topic, many Gyarados lists run seeker as well, so they can Seeker the Karp back up...

Absolutely, but at least it's making them overextend. They'd normally use that Seeker to heal a Gyarados or perform another Flash Bite. It's a tactic to help increase the odds of winning.

Vilegar still kills Gyarados if you have a continuous trainer lock.
And yes, Luxchomp has a favorable matchup as well.

Steelix with some Judge can beat Gyarados easily.
Magnezone OHKOs it for only two lostzone energy, and if they don't have Rescue attached, it can even do the hit & run for Spiritomb trick while doing 90-110 damage.

Personally, I think Gyarados is just hyped because of all the new tools it got, and of course, because it's so easy to play. That was the same with Jumpluff, which wasn't close as good as SP but played a lot because of its speed and autopilot factor.

This whole message, but mainly the bolded parts. My friend beat Gyarados with a rogue deck, and even though Gyarados is good, it's not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

It'll go far, but it's going to be gone after rotation anyway.

Back