Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

H.R. 2454 - "Cap & Trade": Your Take

drrty byl

H.R. 2454: American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009
This legislation narrowly passed the US house of representatives with a final vote of 219-212 about a week and a half ago and has now moved on to the senate.

Is this 1200+ pages of legislation a step in the right direction to combat global warming, or is it an elaborate taxation scheme which will result in $10/gallon gasoline and economic stagnation in the near term?
Do we have the transportation infrastructure to support this kind of a move, and is it something possible to achieve given the size of the country? Lastly, will taxes on energy for the manufacturing sector simply give competitive advantage to countries which do not observe such standards, shifting more jobs overseas?

More info regarding the bill can be found below:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-2454

The narrow 219-212-3 "victory" for H.R. 2454 in the house is a significant sign that this legislation is dubious at best, and devastating to the U.S. economy at worst. I hope that the senate does not vote in favor of this nonsense, but with Franken just recently sworn in, the odds of it failing seem slimmer.

Another thing I hope for is for people to really take a look at some of the things they're trying to get across...Including, but not limited to:

-A wild goose chase against carbon emissions that will waste billions of dollars.
-Gives the government more control over the auto industry than it already does...A bad omen for a suffering sector of the economy.
-Continues the questionable "green job" approach to fixing the economy...*Shakes head*

This sort of legislation is totally separate from environmentalism - it's the makings of bureaucracy, of welfare, and maybe even of cultism.

I don't think the government is being "strict" enough. This will barely make a dent in stopping global warming.

I've read the Goosebumps book. And 1984. :)

Was that before or after the morning worship of the president? lol I don't think I am totally cool with them controlling my life. I am enlisted so I must obey those appointed over me however..... I don't think I can support a dictatorship.

I think some people need to be controlled. People hated those of a certain skin tone until the government stepped in. Perhaps this is the best solution to save the Earth.

I think some people need to be controlled. People hated those of a certain skin tone until the government stepped in. Perhaps this is the best solution to save the Earth.
Racism has not been eliminated by any means. And if you mean Licoln, he wasn't opposed to slavery, he just wanted to support the Union. And that change wasn't even made until after a large civil war. :rolleyes:

Racism has not been eliminated by any means. And if you mean Licoln, he wasn't opposed to slavery, he just wanted to support the Union. And that change wasn't even made until after a large civil war. :rolleyes:

Racism has decreased immensely, especially in the United States.

If something THAT bad is happening, yes the gov should step in. But they shouldn't be poking around in other areas of our lives.

If you want the gov to control your life, I suggest you try moving to china. I'm quite sure they will be more than happy to control every single aspect of your life for you. :)

If something THAT bad is happening, yes the gov should step in. But they shouldn't be poking around in other areas of our lives.

If you want the gov to control your life, I suggest you try moving to china. I'm quite sure they will be more than happy to control every single aspect of your life for you. :)

Yes, as I said, meaning to do with climate change, and only a bit for life in general (which involves climate change).

Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Democracy is the worst kind of government, except for the rest of them.

Need I say more? I'm glad America is devoid of widespread upheavals.

You can't stop natural global warming right now. But you can stop man made global warming.

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about at all. Just taking a guess, but I'm going to say that you've never taken a college level science class. First off, many of these gasses that the average person thinks cause "global warming" really have very little or nothing at all to do with it. CO2 is all you ever really hear about, but there are many other green house gasses. If it really is man that is causing Global Warming or at the very least, making a natural process more severe, then it would take MUCH more than just the US to do something about it. Good luck getting China to change their ways.

You really don't seem to know what you're talking about at all. Just taking a guess, but I'm going to say that you've never taken a college level science class. First off, many of these gasses that the average person thinks cause "global warming" really have very little or nothing at all to do with it. CO2 is all you ever really hear about, but there are many other green house gasses. If it really is man that is causing Global Warming or at the very least, making a natural process more severe, then it would take MUCH more than just the US to do something about it. Good luck getting China to change their ways.

You are denying that it is possible to stop man made global warming. I disagree.

Ok, why not just say stop pollution. That would be a much better way to put it. Also, I never said it was impossible. I just said that you would have to get every one to go along with it. China will NOT go along with it. Why the heck would they suddenly care about anything?

Ok, why not just say stop pollution. That would be a much better way to put it. Also, I never said it was impossible. I just said that you would have to get every one to go along with it. China will NOT go along with it. Why the heck would they suddenly care about anything?

Yes, it is entirely possible to stop man from polluting.

As a Chinese person who was born in China and lived there for 11 years, I take great offense at your statement.

Back