Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kids Missing School to Attend Worlds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team Cook

School will be back in session here in Texas during Worlds, so Austin will miss about one week of school, as we are planning on extending our stay and enjoying Disney World while we're there.

(I know, bad, bad parents!!) :)

I'm sure we're not the only ones in this situation.... Just wondering how others are planning on handling this....

Thanks!

well
actually, in the OK, school doesn't start til the 25th, so it'll be ok
but I feel sorry for people that have to miss school
but it isn't like you should give up the World Championship just to go to school

We are doing the same.. when are ya'll leaving??

We are driving and leaving prolly night of the 18th!

My son and duaghter will miss about the same.. oh well.. Chance for them to enjoy life.. or recap last year (as everyone does the first 2 weeks of school)

MrMeches, your son won 2nd and earned a trip to Worlds in Orlando, Florida.. what are going to do now?

WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!

My kids will miss the first 2 days at school, I will get fined for that because of our laws, but I will not take this change away to enjoy this experience.

Rainbowgym said:
My kids will miss the first 2 days at school, I will get fined for that because of our laws, but I will not take this change away to enjoy this experience.

FINED!!!!!!!! You get fined for having your kids miss school!!!!!

MrMeches said:
We are doing the same.. when are ya'll leaving??

We are driving and leaving prolly night of the 18th!

My son and duaghter will miss about the same.. oh well.. Chance for them to enjoy life.. or recap last year (as everyone does the first 2 weeks of school)

MrMeches, your son won 2nd and earned a trip to Worlds in Orlando, Florida.. what are going to do now?

WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!

You're not flying? But, you won trips, didn't you?

We're flying. Austin's prize covers airfare for two, so we'll just pay for the third one... I don't think the older kids are going...

What else are y'all planning to do over there? We're still trying to decide on the Disney Hopper Tickets -- not sure whether to get the 5-day passes....

Last edited:
Yes our laws forbid to take kids of school only in very rare circomstances. But the 14 days after summer holiday school starts the law says NO days off.
So what will happen is that schools are checked, kids not present their parents will be called into court and get fined because the didn't obey the law.
Fine is from $100 up to $ 500 a kid and in the worst case 1 month prison.

Some of you people are incredibly lucky. School for us starts August 9th...
>:-[
Well ya, I'm probably missing the Thursday and Friday before.

FYI, according to a POP spokesman I talked to, the date for Worlds was chosen to accomodate the Japanese players who won't be in school. Past TMBs (run by the Japanese) were also the 3rd-4th weekend in August.

SteveP said:
FYI, according to a POP spokesman I talked to, the date for Worlds was chosen to accomodate the Japanese players who won't be in school. Past TMBs (run by the Japanese) were also the 3rd-4th weekend in August.

TMBs??? What are those?

Well, that bites! Are they expecting a big Japanese turnout? Why would they make it more convenient for people from Japan when the biggest turnout is going to be from the US? Is this supposed to make sense? I must be missing something......

Also, does anyone know if PUI has already set a date for next year's Worlds?? And is Worlds always at Disney World? Or does it move around?

Last edited:
Actually one of the reasons I can't come to worlds is my chemistry final on the day of the grinder. Plus, well, no support from mom and dad.

Team Cook said:
TMBs??? What are those?

Well, that bites! Are they expecting a big Japanese turnout? Why would they make it more convenient for people from Japan when the biggest turnout is going to be from the US? Is this supposed to make sense? I must be missing something......

Also, does anyone know if PUI has already set a date for next year's Worlds?? And is Worlds always at Disney World? Or does it move around?

TMB = Tropical Mega Battle which was held in Hawaii.

Team Cook said:
TMBs??? What are those?

It's 'cause we're stupid Americans, Mike n' Mia =P

Last edited:
I wonder if we shouldn't have fines in the US for taking our kids out of school for frivolous reasons? I'd still likely do it anyway, if the fines wasn't too big, but it is an interesting idea.

As far as the date for Worlds, I was surprised to see that it was the same as Indy GenCon. But then I was also surprised to see the Pokemon Nationals and the YGO Nationals on the same day.

Maybe next year we will see better planning? As it happens, my kid won't miss any school but he might miss "business day," a day set up the week or so before school when you are supposed to pick up / confirm your schedule and purchase the PE clothes.

See you in FLA :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back