Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Kinds of Players...What Player ARE YOU?

Tommy's Back

There are hundreds of players in the Pokemon TCG and there are many different kinds of players, so I have taken it upon myself to categorize some kinds:

The Beginner Level

The Newbie
The newbie is the kind of player that usually has just started playing and plays with theme deck for most of the time. These players are the most common of all types because when people first join they are always at this stage. They are easily influenced to either the Tatical player or the Force Player due to at this stage they eventually (if they keep playing) go for one or the other.

The Intermediate Player
The intermediate player is the kind of player that is better than a newbie but not yet a Force or Tatical Player. They build their own decks but still are not so super great most players who have played for a year are for the most part at this level of player.

The Advanced Level

The Tactical Player:
Usually tatical players play with a style something like this: they like to outsmart and outwit the opponent. They are usually people who play rogue decks because they find great pride in it. Tatical players usually are the ones that also play decks like: Rock-Lock and Dark Trance. They usually play with decks that also abuse pokemon powers like Rock-Lock and Dark Trance.

The Force Player
Usually force players play high damage decks like salamence ex and magma. These kinds usually have either high damage low speed or high speed and somewhat high damage. They like to abuse effects of attacks too which includes special conditions. People like this are usually ones who never forfeit because they like to win. (Like everyone should)

The Universal Player
Usually universal players play all kinds of decks but still kind of steer towards the top decks. These players can use any deck well. These players usually stem from force players or tatical players because they show some attributes of both. These players are usually the ones that go to worlds on usual basis.

The Braggart
The braggart is usually a player who just LOVES to boast about his skill and his deck and is usually easily offended when others question their abilities. They also are the least liked kind of all because of their large time scale of bragging or boasting. Though these kinds are usually the ones who lose the most they stem usually from force players.

The Expert Level

The TeCHer
The techer is the most rare kind of player of all because they play TeCH decks all the time. They usually do well against the top decks because they have a counter for all most any one. They also win a large slice of the time becuase they can easily whip something together to win with. These kinds are usually stemmed from tatical players.

The Rebel
The rebels are the ones who always play rogue decks because they like to go against the tide. They usually do well because rogue decks aren't all that bad. These people are usually the first ones to idenify combos with cards. These kinds are usually stemmed from tactical players

The Inventor
The inventor is usually the creator of either rogue decks or top decks because they always look for scans of new cards and try to find what card can combo with what. They usually make pioneers in deckmaking.

The Beat-Downer
The beat-downer is a person who only plays decks that overpower the opponent because they like the ability to in essense crush their opponent. Their kinds of decks are usually high damage decks. They are always stemmed from force players.

The Expert
The expert is the kind of player that is an awesome player and plays all kinds of decks. They also have great skill with all decks not mattering which. These people are also usually the people who win prereleases because they can always build a half-way decent deck even with a small amount if things to work with.

These are just some of the kinds of players in the world I'll be back next week to tell you more of my discoveries.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a Tactical/Universal/TeCHer/Inventor/Expert player, but does that make me a Braggart for saying so? :cool:

I'm an expert. I play anything to win. woot. I guess I'd be a braggat but the "usually lose" line doesn't apply. Oh well, they'll get me next time. ;x

Oh darn, all I'm just the newbie...j/k

GJ Tommy, I'm happy to see that you article was posted. I know you were very excited about it.

You could also add another catagory to that:

The Deckbuilder: does not have an incredible handle on actually playing the game, is not the best player, but can create some amazing decks or deck ideas that many others decide to use and win with. In essense, these players help others better their decks or build decks for other better players at the expense of their own collection. This player loves to play, doesn't win all the time, but always has fun no matter the consequences, and always builds what they want.

Sounds a lot like the Rogue, but without the playing skill.

I would consider myself an Intermediate player, but with lots of Rebel in me! =p I always say I hate the whole idea of the Metagame and countering specific decks. I love playing rogues, and in the long run I hope it helps me.

- Big group of people playing the top decks.
- A smaller group using decks to counter those decks.
- Then there is me! With a rogue that no one has countered against. =D

I'm the universal player who doesn't use the supposed strategy to win quite as much as a diffrent strategy.
And I'll only go to Worlds if I win a trip...

So I'm a universal player (playing decks) with twists. I wouldn't call myself an expert, because I suck at deckbuilding, although I can adapt to decks/strategy pretty well.

~~~Tracy

Good job TB with the article. I knew all those "sick" days would end up with something constructive. Now, where do I fall in on your scale??

Keith

Rebel/Universal, and I try to be a bit Inventor... Rebel in the sense I came fourth with a Primetool deck and 3rd with a Cradily deck. Universal: changing my deck every tournament.

Don't really invent anything completely original... I try, I do add on to decks pretty well...

Back