Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Lizards and Sharks (Eon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkates

Well, I decided to dismantle my Blaziken deck. Now, I'm going for a completely different deck type.

Pokemon (21):
4 Treecko (Razor Leaf)
4 Grovyle (2 Natural Cure, 2 Poison Breath)
4 Sceptile (2 Lizard Poison, 2 Energy Trans)
3 Carvanha
3 Sharpedo
1 Scyther ex
2 Dunsparce (SS)

Trainers (21):
2 Claw Fossil
3 Copycat
2 Professor Oak's Research
3 Juggler
2 Wally's Training
2 Pokemon Nurse
1 Town Volunteers
3 Switch
3 Super Scoop Up

Energy (18):
11 Grass Energy
4 Multi Energy
3 Water Energy

Strategy: The Sceptiles, mostly the Lizard Poison version, are my main attackers, backed up by Scyther ex. Sharpedo is there for anti-Fire. As has already been ruled, I can use Multi Energy to pay for the attack and as the Dark discard for the extra damage if it comes to that -- and of course, Multi Energy can also be moved by Energy Trans.

Last edited:
Hm. Very interesting. I notice that you have a view elements in your trainers that don't necessarily follow the norm. I like it. (Although your card drawing just a bit weak. Perhaps another Juggler?)

And if I may ask, why the Claw Fossil? I can see its uses, combined with poison/burn/wasting one of the opponent's turns, and it seems to fit well...

Wait, just answered my question. Nevermind.

Interesting deck. Can't wait to see what playtesting brings.

Why play Super Scoop Up at all? I think just running more Pokemon Nurse would be better, it gets the damage off without a flip.

Whoa, whoa whoa.... Wally's Training... any specific reason for that being in there? I'd replace it with Professor Elm's Training Method, its much better. The claw fossil imo doesn't really seem all that useful. I mean, sure you can sit there for a turn, but then you're burning a Switch to get it out there after you've poisoned/sleep/whatevered AND you're not doing an extra bunch of damage. I guess its nice if you can let them die of poison during your turn, but that's pretty situational.

Sharpedo is a decent pokemon, but I think Wailord is better. He's better against fire than Sharpedo is cuz 100 is the most you really need to be doing. Sure, you do 20 to yourself, but he still has more HP than Sharpedo, doesn't need special energy, and wailmer is better than carvana. Sharpedo's probably better for other pokemon other than Fire though, but he still has to discard energy, which kinda sucks.

Good luck with it, Sceptile's pretty darn good.

Maybe he plans on using the Sharpedo as a stall when he's Lizard Poisoned the opponent. Good idea actually.

I dont know exactly what cards to take out, but i would definately suggest the usage of Dunsparce and professor elm's training method in this deck.

Elm's Training Method has not turned out to be that good a card for me, so I'm not going to be using it. Thanks for that suggestion, though. Super Scoop Up is really there because I couldn't think of a better non-Supporter Trainer for my remaining slots (would Moo-Moo Milk be a better idea?). Wally's Training is a speed boost -- I'd rather use Rare Candy, but I only have one left after putting two in my other deck. Claw Fossil is there for two reasons -- stall, especially after inflicting Special Conditions, and getting my Basic count up to prevent Mulligans. I suppose I could drop the 2 Pokemon Fan Clubs for a couple of Dunsparce. In fact, I probably will. As far as Nurse, I'd gladly add more if I had them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I think I should be fine with my current Energy setup. I have 7 cards that can be Water Energy, of which 4 can also be Dark Energy. Since Sharpedo attacks for (W)(C)(C), and it's my backup anyway, I shouldn't need more than that.

This deck is now 1-1 in playtesting. The deck's a bit slow (not sure if I have any cards that can help that fact -- sure wish I had more Rare Candies), but if I get at least one of each Sceptile set up, this deck can really dominate! Any additional fixes or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to Magnechu for not only making this suggestion for my latest change, but helping me test this deck. Turns out the Ditto help even more than I thought -- I'd forgotten that with them, I can also Energy Trans Water Energy from Ditto to another Pokemon. It's situational, but it helps.

Well, made a big change just now.

-3 Carvanha
-3 Sharpedo
-1 Scyther ex
+3 Eevee (SS)
+3 Vaporeon (SS)
+1 Ditto (SK)

Last edited:
well, I think we can use something besides Vaporeon

-3 Vaporeon-SS
+3 Espeon-SS

With Espeon in the deck, you can power it up for its second attack (which only requires colorless energies)

Heh -- guess so. As far as Espeon, the only problem with that is that all of my Espeon are in my other deck -- besides, what would cover my Fire Weakness? Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. I'll be thinking about a new name and other ways to tweak this deck.

I still think Sharpedo is the fastest and best water Pokemon to counter Fire. I'd stick with the Dark monster of the sea. IMO, I really wish they'd made Sharpedo a Dark/Water Pokemon like it is in the GBA game.

I liked your first version. Super Scoop Up is fun when it works, but with Energy Transfer, Nurse is better (except for the fact that it's a Supporter). Also, like others have said, Prof Elm's Training Method is generally better that Wally because you can evolve benched Pokemon, something that works better for a bench-sitting Energy Transfer Sceptile.

One last comment. With Juggler, your energy recycling is a bit low with only 1 Town Volunteer. Personally, I prefer Bill's Maintenance to Juggler if I don't have energy recycling in my deck (like Blaziken or Energy Restore or Fishermen).

That being said, I really like the deck!

Last edited:
I agree with SteveP
Sharpedo>>>>Vaporeon
Sharpedo is one of the best stage 1's in Eon right now. A pretty easy 70 for a very strong type in the format and with Rough Skin you should be getting 90 on your opponent per turn. For 1 discard on a Stage 1. Vaporeon is good and can probably handle Fire a little easier but Sharpedo will handle most other things easier. Espeon is great but maybe not for this deck needing water back-up. Now if you wanted to try 4 Eevee 2 Vaporeon 2 Espeon that might do better than Sharpedo. Just an idea.

Which would be great, if it weren't for two things. One, Wailord is an Energy hog. Two, I only have 1, and 1 Wailord ex. Not enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back