Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Pronunciation

Orange Soda

I've had people at my league who'll pronounce things weirdly. Sometimes they'll add a letter (Dragtini), sometimes they'll drop a letter (Evoltion), and sometimes they'll do both (Armondo).

But sometimes people get on my back over how I pronounce Gyarados, and I don't really get it. I pronounce the first syllable as "Gyar" ("yar" with a G on the front) whereas everyone else seems to pronounce it as "Gare" (rhymes with "dare").

"Gare"-ados just doesn't make sense to me. Why do people pronounce it as if the Y isn't there?

ZAKtheGeek said:
Because that's how it's done in the anime? The real question is why it's spelled so weird.
because the 1st syllable in the Japanese katakana is romanized to "gya" typically. The anime simply uses an easier to pronounce syllable--easier from an American point of view.

I always think the Pokemon Pronunciation Rules have been screwed up.

I mean, Jirachi? The "official" pronunciation breaks all the laws of English.

Don't get me started on Rayquaza, Entei, or Metagross.

ryanvergel said:
I think Pidgeot is the most popular pokemon to compare pronunciations.

Piggeot!

Anyways, my personal favorite is Gligar...everyone says its pronounced Gly(rhymes with fly)-Garr(Like what pirates say but with a G), but I pronounce it Glig(rhymes with pig)-err(rhymes with her)

To each his own, I suppose.

i think gardevoir is the hardest pokemon to compare i think its pronouced (Gar-Da-Voi-Er) But some people pronounce it (Gar-Da-Vore)

The second movie!! People murdered Lugia's name
1. Lu-guy-uh
2.Lu-***-ah
3.Lu-ge-ah

Yeah we all rely on the anime for pronounciations. And yeah the real killer was Gyrados lol

The "official" pronounciation for Pidgeot is "pid-jit." However, the animé calls it "pid-gee-ought". Personally, I think the pidgeon-with-a-T pronounciation makes more sense.

Gardevoir is very easy, even though it's French. Pronouncing the R is incorrect.

Marril said:
The "official" pronounciation for Pidgeot is "pid-jit." However, the animé calls it "pid-gee-ought". Personally, I think the pidgeon-with-a-T pronounciation makes more sense.

Gardevoir is very easy, even though it's French. Pronouncing the R is incorrect.

Why wouldn't you pronounce the R? This is America, not France.

Illumise and chimecho were other horrors.
I used to pronounce it Ill-loo-mise.
The anime pronounces it Ill-oo-me-say.

There werre some 5 pronunciations for chimecho.
I dont' want to bother listing them.

BTW I pronounce Gyarados Ge-air-a-dose

Last edited:
Burninating_Torchic said:
Why wouldn't you pronounce the R? This is America, not France.

Doesn't mean you don't use the French pronounciation. Look at how Americans pronounce "rendezvous" for example. That Z ("zed" dammit, not "zee") is sure silent.

I usually go with however the animé says it, the only exception being "loo-GIH-uh, since "LOOGY-uh" doesn't at all sound flattering.

Back