Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Raichu LV X: Errata Needed?

Pinsir52

The Raichu lv x scan on pokebeach reads:

POKE-BODY: Link Lightning
"Once during your turn, when you put Raichu lv x onto Raichu and use Voltage Shoot, you may use another attack of Raich afterward. This power can't be used if Raichu is affected by a special condition."

It actually says "Power" on the card, and it behaves like a power, but it SAYS body. Unlike Empoleon DP1, the words "Link Lightning" aren't written in red... Any opinion on what's up with this?

"power" (lowercase) refers to both Poke-Bodies and Poke-Powers. It's the same way on Sableye too.

And it's originally a Body, so yeah, it's not an error.

the question I have is that it states "another", by another does that mean u can't use Voltage Shot again or can u? If you can't was this translated correctly b/c the spoilers I read @ WPM website it states "this Pokemon can attack 1 additional time (and only once)". So here we can clearly see that Voltage Shot can be used again.

Yeah. Sableye was the first. Poke-Bodies and Powers are considered sub-classes of Pokemon Powers.

Well, I knew Poke-bodies and poke-powers were sub-classes of POKEMON POWERS, but it still doesn't make sense at criss-cross them, that is, saying "this power can't be used" in a poke-body. it's silly, stupid, and confusing as heck.

i heard of bodies and powers being subclasses of pokemon powers, never subclasses of "powers". take a gander at garchomp from mysterious treasures. raichu could easily say "this poke-body can't be used..". i dont get why it doesnt.

Garchomp MT
Pretty much the same phrase, but it says "Poké-Body" and not power.

But I'm wondering if you have to attack immediately after leveling up Raichu to take use of the Body. According to Japanese fan-translations, it just has to be the same turn, but with the English wording it sounds like you have to level up and attack after it.

My biggest question is if you use Voltage Shoot the turn you level up can you indefinetly attack twice every turn afterward. I only ask this because then the second half of the pokebody makes more sense seeing as once you lv up special conditions are removed correct?

My biggest question is if you use Voltage Shoot the turn you level up can you indefinetly attack twice every turn afterward. I only ask this because then the second half of the pokebody makes more sense seeing as once you lv up special conditions are removed correct?

I think that Special Conditions clause is for cards like Toxicroak (MT) or Heatran lv. X that prevent Special Conditions from being removed even if something evolves or Levels Up. It may also be there because PUI did an awkward translation and was treating this more like a Power than a Body.

To answer your question, Raichu lv. X's Body is clearly one of those come-into-play things that you only get to utilize once, which is admittedly confusing since there are very few, if any, come-into-play Bodies. Usually it's a Power like Lucario lv. X's Stance that you can choose to activate or not.

Even if it's not technically correct, it's very easy to tell what the intent is. Makes it a lot easier on the young ones. I'm certainly not going to complain about the translation.

I think people need to stop over-analyzing, rationalizing and try making sense of clearly mistranslated text, people need to stop interpreting it as some intentional writing that has an effect on the game.

"power" (lowercase) refers to both Poke-Bodies and Poke-Powers.

I've heard this argument before. No cards in the DP era use "power" in this way, and I don't know where you get your (mis)information from. It's clearly a misprint.

It's the same way on Sableye too.

And it's originally a Body, so yeah, it's not an error.

The same mistranslation is on Sableye. Both Sableye and Raichu lvX of course used the correct "Poké-Body" term in Japanese:

Raichu lvX's Body:

このポケモンが、レベルアップした番に「ボルテージシュート」を使ったなら、そのあとに追加で1回、このポケモンはワザを使える(追加できるのは1回だけ)。このポケモンが特殊状態なら、このボディーははたらかない。

If this Pokémon uses Voltage Shoot on the turn it Leveled Up, you may after that attack use another one of Raichu's attacks (you may only do this once). If Raichu is affected by a Special Condition, this Body stops working.

Same with Sableye.

I've heard this argument before. No cards in the DP era use "power" in this way, and I don't know where you get your (mis)information from.

I do.

Compendium said:
Q. Something that affects Pokémon Powers in general, affects both "Poké-Powers" and "Poké-Bodies", right? So also, does something that affects both "Poké-Bodies" and "Poké-Powers" affect older style "Pokémon Powers" too?
A. Pokémon Powers are the general term for Poké-Bodies & Poké-Powers. Older cards that reference Pokémon Powers include both 'Bodies and 'Powers. Newer cards that affect both 'Powers AND 'Bodies affect older "Pokémon Powers" (as if "Pokémon Powers" read "Poké-Powers & Poké-Bodies"). (Oct 16, 2003 PUI Rules Team)

There is a difference (in English) between "power" (noun) and "Power" (proper noun), given the context.

I'm well aware that Pokémon Powers are the general term for Poké-Bodies & Poké-Powers on older cards. However, a simple "power" has never been used as a term describing both Poké-Powers and Poké-Bodies. And the term Pokémon Power was replaced with "Poké-Powers" and "Poké-Bodies" an absurdly long time ago, so why would they reintroduce such a term in the 7th DP expansion, on cards where it doesn't even do any use at all?

There is a difference (in English) between "power" (noun) and "Power" (proper noun), given the context.

On Pokémon Cards? I'm not sure I follow you, have you got an example (context) where this is the case?

In my opinion, it should be a Poke-Power.
I don't care that it's a Body on the Japanese card. I think that's an error, too.

It reads like a Power. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck...

For these reasons:
It's coming into play
It is optional (may)
It is shut off by Special Conditions.

Name one other Body that is shut off by Special Conditions!
I don't think there is one and it's always been part of my definition of a Body that it CAN'T be shut off.

the question I have is that it states "another", by another does that mean u can't use Voltage Shot again or can u? If you can't was this translated correctly b/c the spoilers I read @ WPM website it states "this Pokemon can attack 1 additional time (and only once)". So here we can clearly see that Voltage Shot can be used again.

Nobody answered my question.

I don't care that it's a Body on the Japanese card. I think that's an error, too.

For these reasons:
It's coming into play
It is optional (may)

I don't think there is one and it's always been part of my definition of a Body that it CAN'T be shut off.

It reminds me of Lucario Lv.X's POWER in the sence that it can attack twice without getting hit. Of course there is Warp Point to cancel the effect of that Power.

For these reasons:
It's coming into play
It is optional (may)

It reminds me of Lucario Lv.X's POWER in the sence that it can attack twice without getting hit. Of course there is Warp Point to cancel the effect of that Power.

For these reasons:
It's coming into play
It is optional (may)

You're muy boy, 'Pop. You're muy boy.

Nobody answered my question.

We'll probably have to wait for that one. Probably another errata for this card.

Back