Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Watchin' from the sidelines. A suspended player's Report/confession

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberManectric

The title says it all. I cheated at Regionals by purposely stacking my deck, thus getting me DQ'd and unable to play at any more events for one year. I know what I did was wrong, and I know I hurt a ton of the NW players. I've read and heard plently of messages and I know that some players are steamed at me. Luckily, I got plently of people by my side to make the situation for me, but it's still no fun and games.

Anyway, yeah, I'm suspended for a year, but I'm able to "work off" my suspention for up to six months by "participating" at league and assisting the judges at events, such as all the BR's that had just took place. So what exactly does a suspended player do at OP events, only hand out table slips, call a judge over if he/she does not see a kid raising their hand, and hand out door prizes between rounds. It may seem not that great, but it's kind of like judgeing, except I gotta keep my mouth shut and not give any rulings during matches.

"Wait Kayhon, you said you were judging. I didn't know you were suspended."
Well, that was an excuse. Sorry I wasn't completely honest at first. I was a bit insecure at the time and not really sure what to say. But weeks have passed and I've let the situation set in and learned to live with my consequences.

"Let's tar and feather the jerk."
Hey, wait a sec. I know some people are either mad at me or dissaprove, but I'm doing what I'm suppoosed to, and that's staying out of OP events and working off my suspention. That's enough of a punishment for me. I feel like I'm jumping the gun by posting this.

"I heard this, that, or the other thing happened."
WHO CARES WHAT YOU HEARD! I just posted the truth up there in those paragraphs.

Anyway, here's how the BR's went.

Corvallis BR
First BR while on suspention. I decided to assist BDS anyway I could, which was basically handing out table slips, bringing them back once they were signed, and keeping an eye on matches. The nice thing about not particiapating in a tournament is getting to see my friends play and win. At least I got to play in the DS tournament, since those don't count as a sanctioned event. I get my butt handed to me in the first round. I also sat down at the Master's finals and watched. I didn't do much though. Just remined the players that whoever lost got to decide who goes first.

Eugene BR
Meet and greet with Mr. Raichu, Momma june, BDS, and Don McIntire (sp?). Poor Don keeps getting swamped with questions he can't answer about DS or what will be in the next set. So he turns the kids over to me to answer their questions. Well, the ones about Diamond and Pearl video games and speculations for the next set. I handed out table slips and handed out some door prizes. I lose in the first round of the DS tournament again. Nothing left to do now but watch from the sidelines until Marvin wants to go home.

Hillsboro BR
Yay, Rocket's Lair BR. Once there I learn that Rocket Boss Travis is judging, awesome. We share the responsibilities of handing out table slips and door prizes. I ran the DS tournament and won the whole thing. I gave 2 booster packs to 3rd, 3 packs a and sylus to 2nd, and I kept 4 packs for myself. Felt nice to win something for a change. I also kept my eye on some of the Finals matches, but I had BDS and Mr. Raichu take care of ruling questions.
Also, when doing door prizes, I'm sure I called tables numbers with Rocket members at elast 4 times. I hope no one accuses that bingo thing of being rigged.

Salem BR
Figures the last BR is the one where I decide to screw myself over. While running the DS tournament, I decide to keep a couple packs BDS gave me for myself. Bad idea. After getting caught in the act, I return the packs and made sure they were handed out to the people who earned them. Still handed out table slips and door prizes. What else is there for a suspended player to do? I lost in the first round of the DS tournament, again. >_<
Also did a few battles for fun. Got to test my incredibly random Glaceon deck. Works... on and off. Also participated in a G&G mirror match to see if I still had a winning sreak left in me. The game was pretty even until I had an energy crisis in the end of the match. Good Game Steven.

So what have I learned? Start being more honest with myself for one. Ignore any temptations that crawl into my mind. It can be hard, but it must be done. Cheating definetly ain't worth it. At least I didn't lose any of my friends after my dark deed. And even if some people don't trust me 100%, that's fine. I still have many people who are still glad to see me active in the pokemon world, and soon I'll be back in the competitive area once more.

I'm sorry, BDS, Mr. Raichu, and Momma_june. I hope all of you will learn to forgive me in time.

Props:
BDS, Mr. Raichu, Momma_June, and Ilikegengar for being very supportive and caring. I don't know what I would do without you guys.
Phazon for being a very good friend and understanding why I cheated in our match at Reg. And for the rides to some of the BR's.
POP for giving me a chance to reduce my suspension.

slops:
My DS team for doing horrible at all but 1 DS tournament.
Don for swamping me with kids with so many random questions.
Myself for doing what feels like next to nothing. Wish there was more I could do, but that's life.

Before you post, may I ask that you read this as well

Thanks for reading.
~Cyber aka Kayhon~

Last edited:
Hey Kayhon,

It takes a lot of gut to own up to this on the gym so kudos to you for that. Remember this is just a game...later you may need these folks to vouch for you as you look for a "real job" :smile: I know it's a tough lesson but once you've served your time I personally will welcome you back to the playing scene.

-Cory

So why did you do it? And I thought you were just drawing extra cards on "draw 3" type of cards, were you actually stacking the deck? Might as well come clean about it. (someone can delete this if this doesn't belong here, but this thread is partially him coming out as someone who cheated)

Thanks for coming clean about it, it took guts for you to do it.. I remember when you msgd me a couple weeks ago.. i already knew what happened but didnt wanna like ya know embarass you by just bringin it up... but hopefully you can get it reduced to 6 months and you can be back and playin in no time.. .SOTG sir : )

I can tell that you really understand what you did, and posting this report must have been hard. GJ, and I hope you can start playing again soon.

You did an awful thing. Many people will not like you for a long time.

BUT at least you are trying to give back to the game while your suspended. That's 100% more than all the other suspended players are doing.

Thanks for your support, Corypoke, Lucario EX, Madhatter, and Prime. And on antoher note...

So why did you do it? And I thought you were just drawing extra cards on "draw 3" type of cards, were you actually stacking the deck? Might as well come clean about it. (someone can delete this if this doesn't belong here, but this thread is partially him coming out as someone who cheated)

Well, the reason is kind of compicated and very, very, personal. I'm only willing to tell those who are close to me the story behind the story, so I don't want to say everything here in a public forum. All I will say is that I've been going though a ton of **** in my life the past two years and it finally gone to my head. I just picked the wrong place, time, and worst of all, people to take it out on. Sorry everyone. :redface:

The main reason I posted this report is becuase I felt like I owed it more to myself then to anyone else.
~Cyber~

Okay I won't ask why, but if you don't mind, can you clarify if you were actually 'stacking' the deck, or were you just drawing extra cards? I'm curious if someone was actually successfully stacking the cards in the deck without getting caught for a while.

Hmm, a little of both. Yeah, sometimes I'd draw an extra card when I wasn't supposed to. And when shuffling the deck, I'd slip a card to the top of my deck and then draw it via cosmic power or telepass for a draw card.
~Cyber~

Hey. I don't know you, but I admire you for standing in the crowd and admitting you cheated. I think you've learned your lesson, but great job having the guts to write this =]

Well, now that he finally grew up, I can say what I've REALLY thought about this whole thing for the past two months:

The main reason I posted this report is becuase I felt like I owed it more to myself then to anyone else.
~Cyber~
The fact that the local League Leader finally found out about this just last week had to have something to do with it, right? I mean, all this time, you've let everyone (including the little kids at League who so deeply admire you) think you legitimately lost to me in T4, with nobody outside of my little circle of friends knowing what really happened. My point is, had the LL not talked to you about this situation yesterday, I doubt you would have really told much of anyone about it. It's a good thing you did, too, as I was tired of it and was about to outright tell Barbara about you (I dropped a minor hint to her last week, but she told me that somebody else tipped her off about what you did).

Regardless of how you reply to that, how am I supposed to believe you? I mean, there was also a time where I thought I could trust you enough to play straight up against me, just like a man would. I see that I was wrong there. Another high point is the lame excuse you fed me. Peeking at the top card of your deck is a habit you picked up from playing against your little brother because you wanted to beat him easily? Sure thing, bucko.

One Leaguer said this the Thursday after Regionals. "Man, Marvin must be pretty good if he can beat Keyhan." That's not true. Apparently, anyone can beat you if they just call over a judge. It's THAT easy! This is obviously not the first time you've cheated at a major event either, as I actually had several people tell me to watch out for your plays and ask you how many cards you have in your hand at random intervals during Regs. This is only the first time you've been caught! Plus it cost you $1000 and your #1 in Oregon title - both of which, ironically enough, now belong to me (well, unless someone passed me this weekend)! Thanks man! : )

So, as you've probably already guessed, I don't consider you a close friend anymore. Honestly, once I found out that you cheated against me, I just stopped liking you right there for a while, but I can't go on hating you forever. I've been keeping the act up so as not to tip anyone off. Now that everyone knows, I could care less. Be careful, because people who perpetually cheat are easily replaceable.

Granted, I do forgive you, but I'll be /cursed/ if I'll respect you. Sure, telling you all this online isn't exactly the way I, a man, should handle disputes, but given how dishonest you've been the past two (or more) months, it fits. Had you owned up to it within a couple weeks after the fact, I'd at least have SOME respect, but the fact that you waited until most of the important Pokemon people in Salem confronted you about it to say anything just wrecks any chance you had there. Besides, you DID effectively attempt to steal $1000 from me.

Meh, I guess you learned your lesson. You lost $1000, your Nats/Worlds opportunities, and the respect of everyone who thought you were good.

Edit: If some mod decides that I flamed you and then edits/deletes this, I'll still be happy so long as you have read it first.,

Last edited by a moderator:
Salem BR
Figures the last BR is the one where I decide to screw myself over. While running the DS tournament, I decide to keep a couple packs BDS gave me for myself. Bad idea. After getting caught in the act, I return the packs and made sure they were handed out to the people who earned them. Still handed out table slips and door prizes. What else is there for a suspended player to do? I lost in the first round of the DS tournament, again. >_<
Also did a few battles for fun. Got to test my incredibly random Glaceon deck. Works... on and off. Also participated in a G&G mirror match to see if I still had a winning sreak left in me. The game was pretty even until I had an energy crisis in the end of the match. Good Game Steven.

So what have I learned? Start being more honest with myself for one. Ignore any temptations that crawl into my mind. It can be hard, but it must be done. Cheating definetly ain't worth it. At least I didn't lose any of my friends after my dark deed. And even if some people don't trust me 100%, that's fine. I still have many people who are still glad to see me active in the pokemon world, and soon I'll be back in the competitive area once more.

~Cyber aka Kayhon~

Looks to me you learned nothing.
Actually after being caught cheating you tried to steal.
You were trusted to help out, you were given an option to "work off" your suspension.
And what did you do? you try to steal.........
Nice way of showing you are thankfull to the people who gave you the option to "work off" your suspension.

it takes a real man to say he did something bad/wrong. i know that people sometimes do the wrong thing, but we are just humans, and we are not perfect. just forgive and forget man, just forgive and forget.
Ashinto

I noticed the theft issue also, but Lia beat me to the punch. Yeah, it takes "guts" to own up to what you did on a public forum, but even then, you dont go "full monty". It took Phazon calling you out for you to admit that not only did you stack, you drew extra cards and manipulated your deck to get top decks.

I understand giving someone the chance to "work off" their penalty, but to then try and steal during that time period.....that would be the end of the issue for me. You would have to earn the trust back in another way....not in a way that you would/could benefit. Too many other people give so much to this game to make it great and you want to take the easy way out. JMHO.

Keith

It's funny, though, as there are now only two Professors in Salem's 40-50 strong player base: Me, and some random chick I've never heard of. lol

Honestly, I didn't even read his post (as I thought I knew everything he had done), but this business of stealing two packs . . . the heck? We just talked on the phone, and I told him why I said what I said, but I had no idea that thievery had somehow jumped into the mix. Dude, even the really bratty Seniors are above that. Hand in your man card, you're through.

Also, FYI to everyone not from Oregon caught up in the Salem Drama: Barbara = League Leader of both Salem Leagues. You have been informed.

Edit: I just called him to see if he was kidding about stealing the packs . . . and he wasn't. He really did try to steal them. -_-

Edit: If some mod decides that I flamed you and then edits/deletes this, I'll still be happy so long as you have read it first.,

Here's a tip for all the members... if you feel like this, if you're not sure, its better to put it on a PM.

It's funny, though, as there are now only two Professors in Salem's 40-50 strong player base: Me, and some random chick I've never heard of. lol

OT, so, let's lock.

All right, some things have been handled on PM and staff forum, so this thread can proceed.

Stealing packs is pretty much a bad thing to do anyways, but the fact that you are already in a heap of trouble makes it even worse. I shuffle players deck when I don't trust them.

Sorry, but you do kind of deserve to have people against you.

And the fact that you are a Master at an adult age should let you know you should of done that in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back