Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why The EX Format is Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

untitled

I've been playtesting a lot the past few days to prepare for States/Regionals, and I have to say I love the format. It really makes you think. If you overbench, you will lose. If you start ramming with Mewtwo (or really any EX) too early in the game, you will lose. If you overattach, you will lose.

The opening hand seems to play much less of a role in deciding games. I got bored yesterday and played a good 10+ matches on PlayTCG against random opponents. I started horribly in almost all of those games because I'm playing with new lists I haven't come close to perfecting and probably just had some bad luck. However, I only lost once. Misplays become much easier to exploit when you have the ability to OHKO an undamaged Pokemon for two prizes. My one loss was because I opted to attach a third energy to the Mewtwo I started with, and my opponent of course retaliated with a Mewtwo of their own to take the prize lead right back.

There also seem to be a lot less donks. You don't want to open Mewtwo if you can avoid it, so 40HP basics are often safe even though it's counter-intuitive. Said basics are much less popular now anyway since the top decks seem to be all big-basic. Furthermore, ZPST has a huge amount of trouble donking most decks and will probably end up seeing less play in general.

The format is much faster, which I don't really mind. Once the almost inevitable EX OHKO chain starts, it usually doesn't end until the game ends. That's the one thing I can imagine people would complain about, but we'll see.

Edit- I forgot to add that Celebi/Mewtwo can be a little donky, but it's nowhere near as bad as ZPST and if it doesn't open Celebi, it usually doesn't donk. 80 damage is much less threatening than 120, especially in an EX format.

Last edited:
Do you care to elaborate on that at all? I found NV to be a really annoying format between the reliance on the opening hand, inability to tech for enough matchups, Durant, and donks. I really don't think it favored the better player as much as the ND format will. ND appears to remove three out of those four problems, and if we get Heatmor, it will remove all four.

All EX games make the format into donks and makes magnezone one of the only choices to play. I had a ridiculous deck that did very well because of the diversity and now most decks are gone

I would rather know my match-ups and not have to worry if I run into a couple decks that I have bad matchups against. Because if you know your match-ups you can tech for the bad ones. Just because we have a smaller pool of decks that will be good doesn't make the format bad. Sure if you play rogue decks you might not like it.

All EX games make the format into donks and makes magnezone one of the only choices to play. I had a ridiculous deck that did very well because of the diversity and now most decks are gone
How does diversity make a format fair? A fair format is one where the better player comes out on top, not where you can choose from a lot of decks.

Besides, Magnezone doesn't even appear to be the best play, or close to it. It gets completely outsped by almost any basic deck, and Terrakion is even more techable with Prism Energy and arguably Exp Share. Magnezone is easier than ever to OHKO. Even if you're not running Terrakion, if you get rid of that deck's Eelektriks, it goes down. More than enough of the new cards are capable of doing this.

Not to say that anything is wrong with Eelzone. It's an evolving strategy and you can't mindlessly sit there and Lost Burn to a win, even if your opponent is drawing dead the whole game. It lets your opponent set up every time. It's a good deck to have in the format, and I'm glad it will at least remain a presence in the next format.

EX Pokemon cause the game to become a game of prize tug-of-war.
It was already like this. Zekrom, Reshiram, Magnezone, and Terrakion would just exchange blows in HS-NV. At least in the EX format, you can come back from going down a prize.

It was already like this. Zekrom, Reshiram, Magnezone, and Terrakion would just exchange blows in HS-NV. At least in the EX format, you can come back from going down a prize.

That is the same thing, the EX format is just enabling it to be done quicker...

Do you care to elaborate on that at all? I found NV to be a really annoying format between the reliance on the opening hand, inability to tech for enough matchups, Durant, and donks. I really don't think it favored the better player as much as the ND format will. ND appears to remove three out of those four problems, and if we get Heatmor, it will remove all four.

Reliance on opening hand- Build a better deck or learn how to play the game with any given hand. It's a fundamental of a cardgame..

Inability to tech for enough matchups- no wonder you love this new format, you'd much rather bypass the need for techs and go straight for utter annihilation.

Durant- is a metal type that is easily countered and wins because nobody really understands what to do against it. The few that do have won.

Donks- It's been a while since the summer, Donking is rare now, and even ZPS is having trouble pulling it off.

How do you "Favor the better player"? There's no such thing. Either you're good, or you're not. It's not the set's fault, and if you are going to cry about it not favoring the better player, you basically just said you were a temporary idiot. The better player adjusts to the cards, not the other way around...

These EX pokemon are bad for the game. If they had the same HP limit as Shaymin EX, then maybe things would be fine but these EX Pokemon will overshadow the game.

The last EX format was better because EX Pokemon, most of the time, did not overshadow all the other cards. Not Every deck used Zapdos ex or other EX Pokemon. Most decks had their Pokemon ex running their own engine and because of pidgeot, any deck had a chance to be good. All I see of this format doing is forcing people to run Magnezone and big HP basics. There's no fun there.

I bolded the part I don't understand. Can you please elaborate?

That is the same thing, the EX format is just enabling it to be done quicker...
It enables it to be done in a controlled manner. Mewtwo won't be OHKOing most cards since you can't load a lot of energy on it. So each player gets to decide when the KOs/OHKOs happen. There's a risk-reward factor with the EX's that didn't exist with most of the regular cards.

Reliance on opening hand- Build a better deck or learn how to play the game with any given hand. It's a fundamental of a cardgame..
I guess you don't understand. I truly felt that even if I played flawlessly with a sub-par opening hand, I would lose a good amount of the time because of my opponent's stronger opening hand. There was very little room to outplay.

Inability to tech for enough matchups- no wonder you love this new format, you'd much rather bypass the need for techs and go straight for utter annihilation.
No, I like this format because there are more tech options because of Prism Energy, Skyarrow, and a bigger cardpool. Now I truly feel like I could go into a tournament prepared for every deck and not have to deal with one of those situations where I lose when the pairings go up.

Durant- is a metal type that is easily countered and wins because nobody really understands what to do against it. The few that do have won.
I don't even want to start this discussion lol.

Donks- It's been a while since the summer, Donking is rare now, and even ZPS is having trouble pulling it off.
I got Zekrom donked four times over the course of Cities. There was a donk almost every round at most of the Cities I went to. You not getting donked doesn't mean donks don't happen.

How do you "Favor the better player"? There's no such thing. Either you're good, or you're not. It's not the set's fault, and if you are going to cry about it not favoring the better player, you basically just said you were a temporary idiot. The better player adjusts to the cards, not the other way around...
You favor the better player by designing cards that allow you to outplay an opponent. Cards like the EX's. You can be amazing but still lose to a bad player if they open better than you do.

These EX pokemon are bad for the game. If they had the same HP limit as Shaymin EX, then maybe things would be fine but these EX Pokemon will overshadow the game.

The last EX format was better because EX Pokemon, most of the time, did not overshadow all the other cards. Not Every deck used Zapdos ex or other EX Pokemon. Most decks had their Pokemon ex running their own engine and because of pidgeot, any deck had a chance to be good. All I see of this format doing is forcing people to run Magnezone and big HP basics. There's no fun there.
You cannot just mindlessly spam the EX's because if you do, you will lose. They are primarily late-game attackers. All of the other cards still have their uses.

I have come to the conclusion that people resist change. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
^ Even back then you did not spam them. If anything, the new EX Pokemon are spammable because they have 170+ HP AND can use Eviolite. If things get hard for them, SSU or Seeker. Back then, This card http://pokegym.net/forums/view.php?pg=towercard&imageid=920, you can't target EX Pokemon. EX Pokemon had it hard back then. They had NO support and still gave up 2 prize cards when defeated. Back then, if you dropped that Zapdos EX, you had no real options to defend it. You had to plan your drops.

The new EXx Pokemon are more spammable becuase they have no drawbacks at all. Every card we have now or might be getting will work for them.

Why are the new EXs considered Basic Pokemon? I think this "EX Armageddon" that everyone is worried/preparing for would be a little different if instead of making Mewtwo EX a "Basic" it was an "EX", which means you couldn't search it out with Collector, Dual Ball, etc., or start out the game with it, similar to how Legends Pokemon work now.

All im saying is that prior to NV, there wasn't nearly as much skill involved and that EX seems to bring less skill.

I hardly see how it takes less skill with EXs. I would argue it takes more skill, since EXs yield two prizes and takes more planning in your moves to counter your opponent's moves and keep a strong active or your opponent will swarm your EXs and sweep through you.

The problem arised when they made Reshiram + Zekrom so overpowered. To make EXs playable they would need to have at least 160hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back