Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

LostGar makes P!P stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpeterik

It's been stated by many top-players that LostGar wont be able to win Top Cut match play due to time restrictions and the inherent strategy of the aforementioned deck.

This encourages players to go X-0 at any given tournament and drop.

I thought it was Play! Pokemon, not Drop! Pokemon.

Because of this conflict, one of the following needs to change.

A. Employ Drop Restrictions
1. A player is allowed 3 unprecedented Drops per season. After that...
2. You can only drop if your Losses exceed or match your Wins.
3. If you Drop after the last Swiss round, 1 of your Wins is converted to a Loss or a Bye.

Those are just examples.

B. Change the current match play format.
1. Make 60+3 mandatory. No more 45+3.
2. Instead of 60+3, top cut matches play 2 games of 30+3. If needed, Game 3 would be 1 Prize Sudden Death.

I just don't think it's healthy for the game to increase the strategy of Dropping. Sure, Dropping is abused now, but just wait...

You shouldn't (can't) restrict players from dropping.

But I don't see why you get points for dropping...

I really don't understand how LostGar won't be able to win top cut matches due to the way time works. It's a speed deck; it should do what it does quickly. A game shouldn't last more than 6 turns.

Players should be able to leave/drop from events whenever they like, without suffering penalties.

I agree they should be able to leave whenever they want...
But cheating the system by dropping on purpose is counterintuitive to the very spirit of the game.
Pokemon is encouraging Players to resort to this tactic by printing Combos that create the Lost World win condition, so, in mine and other players' opinions, something should change.

Curiosity begs the question, why does this make P!P stupid?

They don't design cards. That's PCL.
They don't build the decks. That's the players.

P!P just runs the events.

Seems to me you need to find a different group of people to be upset with. Or, you know, suck it up and go play.

I really don't understand how LostGar won't be able to win top cut matches due to the way time works. It's a speed deck; it should do what it does quickly. A game shouldn't last more than 6 turns.

6 Turns in a top-cut filled with LuxChomp and DialgaChomp can last 40+ minutes. The SP player knows that they need to make turns last as long as possible. It's the same reason why VileGar struggles in Match play.

@ShuckleLv.X- I understand that P!P isn't at fault here. My main point is that in our current format, players are actually encourage NOT to play.

If a player has went X-0 I think they deserve to have the option of dropping. If you're worried you can't get the worlds invite because you decided to hang in for top cut to win a few packs and lost your first round that's your own fault. I don't think a player should be punished if they have to leave a tournament early due to a medical emergency and if "situations" like that were allowed under your rules than players would just lie about it. Things are fine the way they are.

The problem with lost world is that the card was designed for a 4 prize 40 card deck format in mind(this is the Japanese rules). Our format has 6 prizes meaning to beat the deck you have to take 6 prizes before they lost 6 pokez as opposed to Japan where you'd only have to take 4. From what I understand is that the deck is very viable in Jpn.

What the OP is saying is that this new Gengar-Lost World deck, while strong in best of 1, is not good in matchplay, so he is arguing that players could simply do well in swiss with the deck and drop before topcut. If we agree that dropping for reasons other than necessary ones (maybe you got sick or had to go somewhere urgently) is bad, then we can say that we don't want this kind of dropping in tournaments, and decks like Gengar/Lost World encourage this. it sounsd ok, but just a few things:

1) Due to the fact that States have bigger topcuts, and there are less of them, it's not as profitable to go X-0 or X-1 in a bunch of swisses and drop before topcut and still gain that many points.

2) All slow decks have this problem and the situation cpeterik describes has already been happening. Plenty of good players (especially who played in the Georgia marathon) played a slow deck like Gengar/Vileplume, did well in Swiss with it, and dropped before topcut. As long as our current rules are in place, ANY slow deck has this problem, not just a deck that doesn't try to take prizes to win.

The solution? I think that people should not lose ratings points for losing in top cut. Sure, you can go well in swiss and drop before topcut, but you're only missing out on an oppurtunity to win (even if it is a small one). This discourages dropping and gives slower decks (i.e decks that are worse in matchplay) compensation for being worse in topcuts, because the player can't lose points for losing in top cut.

I don't really feel like talking about Lost World, top cut rules, etc. anymore, but I will say that Pokemon is a competitive game that people play to win points and money, and people are going to abuse systems and do what they can to win. It's not cheating and is fully within their rights. If someone wants to leave an event to conserve points or otherwise, they shouldn't be penalized for it in any way, imo.

If SP can make a game last 40 mins in top cut. Why can't it do the same thing in 30+3 thats about 40 mins. Also Lostgar while solid is in way a guaranteed x-0, if it was what you were saying would have some truth to it. But unless some kickass LostGar list comes out most "good" players will stick to vilegar or SP. Seems like an excuse to advance an agenda.

That's a fair point kwisdumb, but this sort of discussion isn't about giving people guilt trips over playing the current system to their advantage (which imo, there is nothing wrong with), it's about discussion to CHANGE the system to prevent it. While the system is the way it is, fine, i don't have a problem with players X-0 dropping. But if we, as the TCG community accept this as a bad thing for the game, then I think we are entitled to discuss it and brainstorm ideas to change the system. organised Play is good, but it is not perfect and can alway be improved. i think this sort of discussion can only benefit the game.

6 Turns in a top-cut filled with LuxChomp and DialgaChomp can last 40+ minutes. The SP player knows that they need to make turns last as long as possible. It's the same reason why VileGar struggles in Match play.

@ShuckleLv.X- I understand that P!P isn't at fault here. My main point is that in our current format, players are actually encourage NOT to play.

No vilegar sturggles becuase it is a bad deck, it is slow. clunky and it has no way to come back once it falls behind in a match.

No vilegar sturggles becuase it is a bad deck, it is slow. clunky and it has no way to come back once it falls behind in a match.

Seriously? Plenty of top players have used the deck and it has racked up many many CC wins, so I wouldn't call it bad. Is it slow, yes it is, which is why it isn't good in matchplay but calling it outright bad is just stupid.

Seriously? Plenty of top players have used the deck and it has racked up many many CC wins, so I wouldn't call it bad. Is it slow, yes it is, which is why it isn't good in matchplay but calling it outright bad is just stupid.

And even more top players tried it,realized it did not work well and dropped it.

This sounds like teh stupidest statement ever...If my stupid list can win a game in under 8 turns I think a good list can do fine -_-'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back