Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Should Pokemon Catcher Be Made Into a League Promo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost is the greatest barrier preventing many of my fellow Pokemon fans from being interested in the TCG. Pokemon loves taking steps to remove that barrier when it can, I think. Why wouldn't this be a good idea?

I'd like to see it as a League promo. It will also make more people go to league. I can get my 4 and not have to worry about them. The price will go down on the secondary market. I'm all for it. The only people that would be against it are the ones who have gold catchers or any catcher at all and can't make money on them any more.

I wouldn't have any objections to this.

Gold Catcher is the collector/money/bling card and wouldn't lose any of its value as there is already a cheaper alternative. Catcher EPO is a year-old Trainer that people have had plenty of time to make money on.

Great idea. Just as how P!P made the right decision to make DCEs promos a long time ago, I would love to see Pokemon Catcher be made into a promo so new players can get started on competitive playing easier :)

I wouldn't have any objections to this.

Gold Catcher is the collector/money/bling card and wouldn't lose any of its value as there is already a cheaper alternative. Catcher EPO is a year-old Trainer that people have had plenty of time to make money on.

$15-25 a piece for an Uncommon staple card doesn't really equate to being a "cheaper alternative" but it's still better than having to pay more for Gold Catchers which are about maybe $30-40 a piece due to being a Secret Rare.

$15-25 a piece for an Uncommon staple card doesn't really equate to being a "cheaper alternative" but it's still better than having to pay more for Gold Catchers which are about maybe $30-40 a piece due to being a Secret Rare.

You misunderstood what I was saying.

My point was that the value of Gold Catcher would not be affected by a League promo, and so wouldn't upset collectors/people who paid a lot of money for it.

Cheaper is a relative term. A Ferrari 458 is cheaper than a Bugatti Veyron. That doesn't mean I'm saying the Ferrari is a cheap car.

Considering the reprint in DEX, I don't think they'll print Catcher as a league promo. They only print league promos when they're going to rotate in half a year (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). When it's about to go, they probably will print it.

It's going to happen, just as it happened with DCE and BTS two years ago and Uxie and Claydol the year before.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Bianca as a League promo, that's notoriously hard to find.

- Croatian_Nidoking

I doubt it'll happen. Too many store owners complained about the promos taking away their business...

I think the only incentive people have to buying EP is Catcher and Max Potion. You take away Catcher and sales of EP will be hurt. There is hardly any economic incentive for them to put Catcher as a league promo so I don't see the logic. I don't think more people will go to league all of a sudden; they're not going to league solely for the Promo cards as it is.

I doubt it'll happen. Too many store owners complained about the promos taking away their business...

If you don't mind me asking, how do you know this? In my experience, most store owners know hardly anything about Pokemon to begin with, let alone which league promos are highly playable and how those promos strip them of their business.

..... its really common for people to complain about what they don't understand. :(

NoPoke, you're right. People complain about what they don't understand, but it's hard for people to complain about what they don't even know. I know this is mostly anecdotal, but in my experience shop owners don't even know what a Pokemon Catcher is to begin with. It's like saying that store owners are complaining about Dragon Vault because it won't be legal for Regionals, and that affects their sales. Unless I'm gravely misguided, my impression is that most store owners don't even know about this whole issue, they're just happy to provide their Pokemon fans with a new product.

I'm just wondering if this is a reflection of most people's experience, that store/shop owners actually do know about the little details that we discuss on this forum. My experience is that shop owners usually don't sell Pokemon singles, don't have any Pokemon cards for trade, and couldn't tell you the difference between a Pokemon Catcher and a Pokemon plush.

Not everyone gets player rewards. All that would do is make it more exclusive and thats the problem with Catcher now.

Yes, distributing more of a card makes the card more exclusive. Good one.
</sarcasm>

---------- Post added 10/03/2012 at 11:11 AM ----------

As for whether it should be reprinted. I'm all for making cards more accessible.

Yay! Eric Nance is calling store owners idiots and making blanket statements!!!

LOOK around the country. Pokemon has become a game where it appears leagues are played as much in fast food and pizza joints as in gaming stores...even in cities where there are gaming stores.

Why?

Because the game does not generate enough profit to make it feasible for most store owners.

There are those of us who support the game, as one of our main games, and understand the value of having a great stock of singles at great prices, competitive prices on packs, and a great play area.

The problem with Pokemon is that every time there appears to be a reason to have people buy packs for singles or other chase cards, they devalue those cards as quickly as possible.

Please, someone tell me any chase card worth paying $3 per pack for Black and White?

For Emerging Powers - we have Catcher and Max Potion. Take those away, and we have another Black and White Base set.

Noble Victories - you have Terrakion

The EXs have carried the next few sets, even though they crucified (from a value standpoint) the big 3 cards in each EX set.

Then you have the Dragon Vault fiasco, where the big "chase" card can be seen on the front of the Vault >__<

Actually had a venue who had SUCH POOR SALES at a 50 player event for Battle Roads that they are considering doing league and prereleases only and NO premiere point events. They state they can use their space more effectively for the 6 + hours that the event takes up the majority of the space of their store, for which they only received $2 per head (which I pay as a per head fee, and is certainly not standard throughout the country). Their additional staff cost, wear and tear, and stress just may not have been worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, and see it as a cornerstone game for my family.

Erik, your statement is as lame as me assuming all competitive players buy their products and cards from the internet where they may be able to save a few percent, don't support their local stores, and are then somehow confused when they are not appreciated at the local stores and venues?

Vince

Yay! Eric Nance is calling store owners idiots and making blanket statements!!!

LOOK around the country. Pokemon has become a game where it appears leagues are played as much in fast food and pizza joints as in gaming stores...even in cities where there are gaming stores.

Why?

Because the game does not generate enough profit to make it feasible for most store owners.

There are those of us who support the game, as one of our main games, and understand the value of having a great stock of singles at great prices, competitive prices on packs, and a great play area.

The problem with Pokemon is that every time there appears to be a reason to have people buy packs for singles or other chase cards, they devalue those cards as quickly as possible.

Please, someone tell me any chase card worth paying $3 per pack for Black and White?

For Emerging Powers - we have Catcher and Max Potion. Take those away, and we have another Black and White Base set.

Noble Victories - you have Terrakion

The EXs have carried the next few sets, even though they crucified (from a value standpoint) the big 3 cards in each EX set.

Then you have the Dragon Vault fiasco, where the big "chase" card can be seen on the front of the Vault >__<

Actually had a venue who had SUCH POOR SALES at a 50 player event for Battle Roads that they are considering doing league and prereleases only and NO premiere point events. They state they can use their space more effectively for the 6 + hours that the event takes up the majority of the space of their store, for which they only received $2 per head (which I pay as a per head fee, and is certainly not standard throughout the country). Their additional staff cost, wear and tear, and stress just may not have been worth it.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the game, and see it as a cornerstone game for my family.

Erik, your statement is as lame as me assuming all competitive players buy their products and cards from the internet where they may be able to save a few percent, don't support their local stores, and are then somehow confused when they are not appreciated at the local stores and venues?

Vince

The points you mentioned re: the devaluation of cards are a reason why I quit YGO so many years back. I remember investing hundreds of dollars (which to a 13 year old was a lot) into my deck and then I found out they were releasing these Structure Decks which had a ton of expensive cards as commons. I got so freaked out and scared that this would happen whenever I built a new competitive deck that it was the last straw I needed to leave.

Black & White used to be an awesome set. Zekroms and Reshirams were good (not even the FA), Zoroarks were treasured, Emboars were coveted. Now Zekrom and Reshiram have been reprinted more times than I can remember, Emboar's in a tin, and Zoroark's been reprinted like twice now. If I spend $4 buying a pack, the only way I'll make that money back is if I pull a FA or the secret rare. In EP, even pulling the FA is still worth less than the pack!

What I'm trying to get at is that Pokemon has already been giving us players a ton of handouts in terms of reprints and promos. You can build one of the best decks in the format (Hydreigon/Darkrai) for close to $100. How many other competitive TCGs can boast that the best deck can be built for $100? MTG? WoW? YGO? (This is a serous question - I don't know other TCGs but I do know from friends that they can get very expensive very quickly)

Remember, if everything's a promo/reprint there's no reason to buy packs. No packs sold mean retailers won't want to carry them anymore (anyone remember when bookstores and Blockbusters used to sell packs?). No retailers carrying packs means less sales, and less sales means a stunted game. Be careful what you wish for.

You have my sincere thanks for this post Vince. :smile: Although I've thought of these points before, your post really reminded me why it's important for games like Pokemon to have chase cards. Although players want to have affordable cards, the revenue of retail vendors is also important for the health of the game.

And with that, I'm wrong in thinking that accessibility to certain cards is always good for the game. It's not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back