Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

We, the players of the Pokémon TCG want more TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serebii1997J

Okay guys, I'm going to get straight the the point. Everyone knows about time in Pokémon TCG. Now do you guys really like such a short time limit? Time is something that plays a big role in the game, but let me point out something. Do you want to know what's annoying? When you're in your Top 16 Match at Nationals and there is a scholarship and a road to Worlds on the line, and guess what? You have everything set up, when guess what? "Pokemon Players, that is time!" I needed one more turn to kill my opponents Gallade and Gardevoir. Granted, it was fortunately my friend, and we were on the same team so I didn't care too much. But had it not been a friend and I lost like that, that would have really ticked me off. One thing a I am annoyed about is how you have the same Swiss and Top Cut time at a Battle Roads and at Worlds :nonono:
I mean, do you know what's on the line at Nationals or Worlds? Time should be increased in my personal opinion. You should look around. Look how many people complain about how they lost on time. At Nationals, one of my friends dad had a perfect game in his hands. One turn was all he needed to kill four things. That's right. Four. I'm sure you've all already seen the Ban G&G for Worlds 2008 Petition thread, right? If not, here's a link http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1149688#post1149688. I strongly recommend you just read it, as it corresponds with this. Plox is a time deck. It burns tons of time a turn, sometimes up to 5 minutes, by Telepassing , Cosmic Powering, thinking of how many prizes to flip over, Dusknoir, supporters etc... This list goes on forever. Decks such as Empoleon take time to think, and added with the time Plox takes, tons of games always go to time. Now I do understand that at Nationals, a extra 15 minutes each round is just too much. We have to solve that issue though. I can give a billion examples of games giving up just because of time. So discuss! What should we do, and can we do anything?

Last edited:
Great thread, Serebii!

U can't telepass more than once.

I agree, as certain decks are eating up time that could be used to win! Like that magnevire deck
everyone's talking about. That will eat up time, too, because they have so many options.

I played an empo at nats, and with GG, i intentionally took it to time. Why? I could not win
before time, so I took it to time. I won.

PUI needs to do something about time. 35 min swiss? 1 hr. 15 min. top? worlds:1hr. 30 min. top?

30 and one! That would give players a chance!

Unfortunately, no matter how much time is given, a player will never think they got enough time. Someone will always find a reason, be it the opponent, the deck, the judges, or just the way the Earth was tilted for the day to complain that they did not get their 'fair' share of the clock.

So, if PUI went to 1 hour and you still lose on time, then what? 2 or 3 hours? I just don't see an easy way to make everyone happy. Sure, we could do 1 hour swiss, 1.5 hour TC, but people will still complain. You also have to remember, time issues on the venue location and the Staff itself.

Nationals Day 1 is already hard-pressed for time. Remember what time the Masters finished that day? You really want them to finish *later* than that?

For the Top Cut rounds, I think that I can agree, but qualify it by saying that PUI needs to be out of the TCG hall at a certain time, and I can't remember exactly what time that was.

For States and Regionals, I just can't see any kind of time extension happening. I know that I Judged a States and a Regionals that didn't finish until well after midnight. Where should we add on time for those events?

For Worlds, which is a 2-day event that runs fewer rounds than Nationals, and I expect runs them much smoother than Nationals, with more Staff per player and a better organized play area, it should be completely possible to run 45 minute Swiss an 90 minute top cut within the current time limits. Again, I say this without knowing exactly the time pressures on PUI for the venue, so my estimates could be completely off base. Still T32 with 90 minute rounds (this year) would take 7:30. Starting at 9am, this would end the tournament at between 5 and 6 pm, given lunch break and data entry times.

Meh, now I'm rambling. Yes, I support it, but only within reason, and only for the events at venues that can handle the extra time.

Yes, I defiantly understand how time was against Masters at Nationals, 1:30 AM is *shivers* It's really hard, but something should be done.

Or we just bring back 45 minutes matchplay. This catches 2 issues:
- Way less silly donks
- You may lose your first game after 42 minutes. At least in that case you had a long, fair game.

The problems caused by that by stalling are far outweighed by the pros of the less silly donks and the fact that you got almost always at least one good long game.

You know, you could call a judge over to moniter the pace of play and you can ask for a time extention. State your reasons. You may get a time extention! We have had 30 min. swiss rds forever......not gonna change IMO.

Keith

they should give more time or best of three also in swiss with 45 at least at Worlds, maybe not all the tournaments..

Even though I am supporting for more time, please do understand that most venues can only have tournaments for X amount of time.

our deck was made to counter this fact all the cess we used meant all those powers couldnt be used if we got it out and got it going none of the games ever went to time

I would definitely advocate allowing for X number of additional turns after the time limit expires.

Last edited:
I agree with 30 mon time +2 turns. But extending swiss past 30 min is a mistake. But I do not believe that this is a call that PUI can make I think any changes to sudden death would have to come from Japan, but that is just a guess on my part I do not know that for sure.

...except, considering the fact that States and Regionals already run until 2:00 AM generally, by upping time to just 45 minutes, that would significantly change how long the tournamnent is, until... maybe 5:00 AM?

Yeah, no go. The time limit has always been 30 minutes, why are you whining now?

You have to remember that PUI has the whole tornament in mind, not the few people that take to long. Most tornaments that I've seen only have 1-3 games per round that go into time. All of the rest finish in time. And if you notice they're usualy the same people that go into time each round. Is it really that hard to think of what you're going to do when it's the opponents turn? Even if they TGW and then attack right away. You should still have time to figure out what you're going to do.
Maybe it's just me but I already know what I'm going to do when the opponent ends there turn. I've also figured out what to do with any card I might draw at the beginning of my turn.
Maybe I just think too much.:lol:

Nationals Day 1 is already hard-pressed for time. Remember what time the Masters finished that day? You really want them to finish *later* than that?

For the Top Cut rounds, I think that I can agree, but qualify it by saying that PUI needs to be out of the TCG hall at a certain time, and I can't remember exactly what time that was.

For States and Regionals, I just can't see any kind of time extension happening. I know that I Judged a States and a Regionals that didn't finish until well after midnight. Where should we add on time for those events?

For Worlds, which is a 2-day event that runs fewer rounds than Nationals, and I expect runs them much smoother than Nationals, with more Staff per player and a better organized play area, it should be completely possible to run 45 minute Swiss an 90 minute top cut within the current time limits. Again, I say this without knowing exactly the time pressures on PUI for the venue, so my estimates could be completely off base. Still T32 with 90 minute rounds (this year) would take 7:30. Starting at 9am, this would end the tournament at between 5 and 6 pm, given lunch break and data entry times.

Meh, now I'm rambling. Yes, I support it, but only within reason, and only for the events at venues that can handle the extra time.
I don't see a problem with given nats the time extention. After all, nearly all of the rounds had "Time extention +10...", which was very annnoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back