Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds Championship- why should it be in the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanvergel

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23287

Discuss why the World Championships should or should not be in the US.

--
As you can see by the last page or so, it's obvious there is a want for the discussion as to why worlds is in the USA, and why it wouldn't be in Europe, or another continent.

My opinion: we have the most players, equal to probably the CONTINENT of europe, or the EU.

If one nation has more players than any other single nation, would it not make sense to have the competition there? I think it does, not to mention the fact that the game uses primarily english cards, and the base for POP is also in the US, and the distribution centers for POP2 packs I heard was in washington, again in the US.

If the most players are here, the supplies are here, and the money (people buy more cards here than any other country?) than why should it be anywhere else?

--

Trips.

If they are going to give out trips to a place, it makes sense that that place(worlds) would be close to where the most trips are given out. That way, it costs PUI less money to pay for these peoples trips.

Country/ population x milion/ players per milion citizen
Argentina... 36,3... 1,8
Belgium... 10,3... 4,8
Denmark... 5,2... 19,4
Finland... 5,2... 8,5
France... 60... 1
Germany... 83... 1,2
Mexico... 105... 2,5
Netherlands ...16,1... 10
Norway... 4,5... 30,4
Singapore... 4,1... 7,6
Slovenia... 2... 34,5
Sweden... 8,8... 4,3
USA... 270... 1,5

Numbers are calculated from attendance Nationals against total citizen of a country.

Amount of players per country is not really to trace anywere.
Leagues are not registered People don't have a My Pokemon account.
So don't state the US has more players.

But those are the exact points that are being argued:

Why is it based on population/player base of a specific NATION, and not a continent (Europe)?
Why are the most trips given to US players?

btw
I'm not taking part in this argument, just re-stressing the points being made.

Rainbowgym said:
Country/ population x milion/ players per milion citizen
Argentina... 36,3... 1,8
Belgium... 10,3... 4,8
Denmark... 5,2... 19,4
Finland... 5,2... 8,5
France... 60... 1
Germany... 83... 1,2
Mexico... 105... 2,5
Netherlands ...16,1... 10
Norway... 4,5... 30,4
Singapore... 4,1... 7,6
Slovenia... 2... 34,5
Sweden... 8,8... 4,3
USA... 270... 1,5

Numbers are calculated from attendance Nationals against total citizen of a country.

Amount of players per country is not really to trace anywere.
Leagues are not registered People don't have a My Pokemon account.
So don't state the US has more players.

WHat you calculated was the density or concentration of players in a country, not the net total of players, which is what is being argues.

It may be true that it is difficult to prove what country has the most players, but you CAN prove which country buys more... so, does anyone know what country buys the most packs of cards?

Last edited:
YOu can't argu the total of players because they are NOT known.

And about players putting money in this game.
Were the heck do you think our boosters are initial bought?>>>
In the USA, but it's international money going to the USA.
ALL Local Distributors BUY boxen for their respective countries in the USA.
The ones who are producing Local Language cards have the PAY for the Translation RIGHTS otherwise there is no money earned in the USA on these cards.

So every Intl. Players pays indirectly to support the huge costs of the US Organized Play structure.

Mozz _ I didn't got the actual attendance from the UK Nationals, but I think 1,5 player per milj.

Last edited:
I highly doubt you'll get any accurate sales figures per country, as I'd guess that's confidential information...

Isn't the point rather moot, though? It's POP and TPCs decision, not a 'vote of the membership'...and I rather doubt any discussion here is really going to make a difference on where Worlds is going to be held in the future.

JMHO,
'mom

Let's see, the game began in japan. The creators of the game are in japan. Pokemon is the most popular in Japan. Why isn't it in Japan? PUI doesn't make the game, they translate it. Just because their offices are in USA shouldn't make it any reason for the WORLD championships to be held in the US of A.

I'd like each nation to speak up. How many invites did you get to play in the world championship. I am sure USA got over 300+ invites.

I'm basically asking one of the POP personnel to answer that question, as they should know, statistically, where the transport of the bulk of the booster boxes go..

edit: For the international players, I think this sort of argument is HUGE. the Location of a tournament decides how many foreign or international players can go, since they have to be shipped out pretty much... so where the worlds is held is verrrrry big for international foreign playing.

yes, it is POP/s or whomever's decision, but it doesn't mean we can't try to logically discuss why they have reached the conclusions they have, or maybe better yet, get an answer from one of them as to why worlds is here every year.

Last edited:
MOM - I'm also convinced it doesn't matter if any discussion makes a difference.
But I really can't stand the attitude, we spend more and have more player so we earn it.

Prime - Invitations is simple or a country had total 4 invitation or 4*3 = 12 invitations.
4 invations is linked to 1 trip, 12 invitations comes with 3 trips, but it depended on the choise of the LD>

Last edited:
like someone pointed out it's not worlds it's "US nationals with a spice of other nations" PUI is an american company and it's cheaper to have a minority flying here than most players flying to another place.

with that said i'd love worlds to be any place besides the US, or in the least a different state...

Prime said:
Let's see, the game began in japan. The creators of the game are in japan. Pokemon is the most popular in Japan. Why isn't it in Japan? PUI doesn't make the game, they translate it. Just because their offices are in USA shouldn't make it any reason for the WORLD championships to be held in the US of A.
Perhaps because TPC only runs OP in Japan? And POP runs it everywhere else?

'mom

SD PokéMom said:

Perhaps because TPC only runs OP in Japan? And POP runs it everywhere else?

'mom

No this is not how it works.
POP runs it in the USA/MX/CA
To all other countries they delegated the OP program to each Nations OP Provider (which is almost always also their business partner for buying product)
If you live in one of those countries you can only wait and hope some decent OP is put up.
POP does not interfere in the set up of each Nation.

Any OP provider can do what they want, because of some "golden" contract which makes POP support their OP providers NO MATTER WHAT.
the Only Obligation for OP providers is running a Nationals.

Last edited:
Although we hide our biases behind reason, when it all comes down to it, the reason that we want it in our own country is for our convenience. It's basic nature. What's good for me?

And wat's good for me is it being in the US.

As for the Europeans/Japanese/etc, it's just bad that the people responsible for the decision feel teh same way.

No it's not about "what is good for ME"

It's about having equal chances to participate and not only for outside USA players.
West coast of the USA is for EU people the most expensive trip, so how many can affort that???
I already looked for tickets for next years Worlds and they will cost me $1200-1300 each, even if I buy them right now ( a year in advance).

New York (also in the USA) would safe anybody from Europe 300-400 $$$$ a ticket.

Last edited:
I'd love for it to be in Europe, I would get a free trip to a foreign country as a vacation, that sounds AWESOME. Of course there would be less trips, but the reward would be awesome, going to amsterdam(netherlands) or london, or tokyo would be awessoommeeee, but too expensive- so I doubt it will ever be done.

I agree, I think that if the europeans or any other group has the player voice, they should get the same oppurtunity. I think that europe doesn't get the same number of trips, or even the right to have worlds in their country mainly because the player base isn't there. The US is an economic giant, and with 270 million people, it easily has the player base to support Worlds.

Last edited:
Remember that the location of Worlds is not JUST POPs decision; I'm sure TPC has quite a large say in it.

And I'd guess that they want a location that is attractive to the Japanese players/families who are coming over: look at the locations so far. Orlando, SD, and Anaheim...all family friendly, 'vacation' type resort areas that draw a lot of tourists from Japan...

JMHO,
'mom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back