Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Ban Mewtwo EX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poke Trainer J

Yeah I know alot of people are gonna hate me for bringing this up but I feel it's important, especially for the health of the Pokemon TCG. I feel that Mewtwo EX is very unbalanced for the current format and that having players pay $200+ for 3 copies in one deck just to compete and win the Mewtwo War is outrageous. Sure you can run a few Revives and or Super Rod to get around it but it probably won't work as good as having all 3 in the deck.

It's the ultimate double-edged sword where whoever X Balls second in a Mewtwo War usually wins and it makes games too luck based. I could see where Mewtwo applies some kind of skill but it's really more dependent on energy attachments for X Ball. Someone will top cut with CMT or ZekEels at an event like States only to start a Mewtwo War, this scenario happens in almost every game played between those 2 decks either against eachother or mirror matchup.

It's almost as If everyone is playing the same deck where it's become not about the deck winning with it's own heavy hitters that isn't Mewtwo but relying so much on Mewtwo itself to where the TCG has become whoever X Ball's their Opponent's Mewtwo for 2 prizes usually wins. It kind of drives me nuts thinking about it. The only thing that isn't broken about Mewtwo EX is how it delivers Type Coverage for decks that need it like ZekEels. Of course Terrakion and Donphan are problems for ZekEels which is a part of why Mewtwo EX comes in handy but for some odd reason it didn't seem to do the job well enough.

IMO catcher is a bigger problem than Mewtwo. if any card should be banned its probably that. but then I don't see them banning any cards in the near future.

Even if we did ban cards in Pokemon (which we don't, and never, ever will), banning Mewtwo EX would be entirely pointless. He'll be far, far, FAR less of a problem once the next set comes out in just a short months time.

He'll still be good, for sure, but not nearly as popular or overpowered.

Not to mention I don't even mind him right now. Yes, games often come down to the Mewtwo wars, but I have no problem with that. There is actually a LOT of thought, planning, and skill that has to go into decided when and how to play our Mewtwo EXs down at the right time. It's an interesting dynamic that I somewhat enjoy. Would I get tired of it eventually? Sure. But the truth is it's only prominent now, and it will only ever be prominent now. Guaranteed.

We'll be getting Siliglyph either in our Summer set (or Fall set at the latest), and that card seems to have been created specifically to cut down on Mewtwo's overuse. Just bear with it until then.

Yeah I know alot of people are gonna hate me for bringing this up but I feel it's important, especially for the health of the Pokemon TCG. I feel that Mewtwo EX is very unbalanced for the current format and that having players pay $200+ for 3 copies in one deck just to compete and win the Mewtwo War is outrageous. Sure you can run a few Revives and or Super Rod to get around it but it probably won't work as good as having all 3 in the deck.

I don't hate you, I just thing you are wrong, and being totally unrealistic.

A card shouldn't be banned because of secondary market prices. TPCI is not a charity for people who want to play a cheap TCG, Besides, they don't even care about how much cards sell for on eBay.

It's the ultimate double-edged sword where whoever X Balls second in a Mewtwo War usually wins and it makes games too luck based. I could see where Mewtwo applies some kind of skill but it's really more dependent on energy attachments for X Ball. Someone will top cut with CMT or ZekEels at an event like States only to start a Mewtwo War, this scenario happens in almost every game played between those 2 decks either against eachother or mirror matchup.

Why does this take no skill? Or maybe I should ask, why does this take less skill than any other Prize exchange? Managing your game and managing your Energy drops so that you win the Mewtwo war is actually one of the more demanding aspects of the game right now. If you think it is just down to luck, then you should put more thought into your strategy.

It's almost as If everyone is playing the same deck where it's become not about the deck winning with it's own heavy hitters that isn't Mewtwo but relying so much on Mewtwo itself to where the TCG has become whoever X Ball's their Opponent's Mewtwo for 2 prizes usually wins.It kind of drives me nuts thinking about it. The only thing that isn't broken about Mewtwo EX is how it delivers Type Coverage for decks that need it like ZekEels. Of course Terrakion and Donphan are problems for ZekEels which is a part of why Mewtwo EX comes in handy but for some odd reason it didn't seem to do the job well enough.

Not sure what the point is here. Zekrom/Eels takes plenty of Prizes with Zekrom and Thundurus. Is there anything wrong with them using Mewtwo as well? I don't get it.

I don't believe there is any in-game justification for banning Mewtwo. I can see that it's frustrating if you can't afford/pull/trade for this extremely powerful card, but quite honestly that is not TPCIs problem. What about all those people who did go out and buy product or trade to get a playset? Should TPCI go ahead and ban the card they worked so hard to get just so the people who didn't do those things don't have to deal with it?

It's a money game. Introduce broken chase cards. Then chase cards that counter those. Then chase cards that counter those. Iterate. We've seen some formats where decks like Lunarock did extremely well. Even Empoleon. Nintendo seems to have resolved that.

It's a money game. Introduce broken chase cards. Then chase cards that counter those. Then chase cards that counter those. Iterate. We've seen some formats where decks like Lunarock did extremely well. Even Empoleon. Nintendo seems to have resolved that.

Durant?

. . . . . . . . .

You're right about what you say, but I guess it's too late. Even if they consider a ban of Mewtwo ex, it wouldn't take place until after the next set releases. I think it will reduce the problem, and the upcoming Dragons set will make a ban of Mewtwo ex completely obsolete cause of Rayquaza ex and Drifblim.

Why does this take no skill? Or maybe I should ask, why does this take less skill than any other Prize exchange? Managing your game and managing your Energy drops so that you win the Mewtwo war is actually one of the more demanding aspects of the game right now. If you think it is just down to luck, then you should put more thought into your strategy.
The strategy how to topdeck after the final N?
And even if Mewtwo wars are not just luck, they're focusing and make the game less interesting. In VGC 'ubers' are officially banned for exactly that reason.

And even if Mewtwo wars are not just luck, they're focusing and make the game less interesting. In VGC 'ubers' are officially banned for exactly that reason.

I didn't think the official VGC recognised 'ubers' as a tier. I know Legendaries are all banned in official tournaments but that includes Pokemon that aren't even that good (Kyurem) and doesn't include Pokemon that fansites consider to be overpowered.

Mewtwo will most likely end up dominating only ONE set of tournaments (States), and then it will just be a very good card. People act like it's been centralising the format for a whole season. It hasn't.

In VGC 'ubers' are officially banned for exactly that reason.

Ironically, in competitive online VGC battling, ubers is arguably the most strategic/healthy tier in Generation 5. even though the selection of Pokemon is less than OU.

But regarding the topic, I don't think Mewtwo EX should be banned at all. Just wait for Darkrai EX and Zoroark to come out, and the price of Mewtwo will drop.

Mewtwo Ex is getting to me, close to bannable. You could say that Catcher should be, but to be honest, it's not as bad for the game as it could have been. Mewtwo Ex on the other hand is being thrown into decks that don't need it, just to counter itself in other decks, which is an issue. I'm not sure it will be banned, but it's a little bit too good, and frankly I can understand why it should be banned.

Drew

If Mewtwo EX is bring thrown into a deck as a counter, then by definition the deck needs Mewtwo EX.

The problem is that the only thing it's countering is itself. Other than Celebi/Mewtwo, there is no deck that NEEDS Mewtwo in order to function on the baseline level. If it got banned, the only deck that would legitimately suffer (and in this case, read: be eliminated) is Celebi/Mewtwo. If anything, it would make MORE cards playable - Gothi/Gardy, for example. Mewtwo+DCE+PlusPower = OHKO on anything in that deck that has even a single Energy attached to it (lose the PlusPower if two Energy or Gardy is in play), and there is literally nothing you could ever do to stop it.

Even just errataing X-Ball to being :psychic::colorless: would more or less solve the problem. (Not that I think that that's likely to happen either, because I don't.) It's the single turn setup that makes it a problem, IMO.

Banning Mewtwo EX will accomplish nothing.

Have you seen Rayquaza EX in the japanese dragon set? It's going to be even WORSE than mewtwo.....

Rayquaza EX will be a $100 card for sure

Are we still complaining about this?

There are cards that get around Mewtwo you guys do realize that don't you. Here's a few Reshiram, Gothitelle (it does work when played right), and Regigigas EX.

Since when did we decide that it was easier to try getting cards a forced ban instead of trying to find additional counters, or playing rogue with strategies to counter popular cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back