• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bulbasnore

Administrator
Staff member
Trader Feedback Mod
displayimage.php

Donk!? Round up the usual suspects...

There has been a lot of discussion of the DONK - a turn 1 or 2 win. Discussion has ranged from personal revulsion (or exultation) to several threads focused on the impact of the Donk on the current format:PokéGym member Jaeger suggested we do a survey on the Donk, its impact and solutions. In my usual way, I've gone a little overboard!

Please take our survey!

The link above is a 'surveymonkey' survey. I've tried to be as impartial in the questions as possible, and to include most of the 'fix' ideas I could find in the above threads (while I could keep up). But never fear, there is a spot or two where you can fill in your own ideas & comments. I hope you'll find a spot or two of humor in all the impartiality, as well.

I'd like to leave the survey open through the end of the prerelease and then post the results back in this thread. It took me 5 minutes to take it.
Your comments on the survey are welcome here. Let your fellow members know if you take the survey by posting in this thread to encourage them to fill it out.

I think it's a great idea to post a poll about this - donks are definitely bad for the game and there are a lot of ways to change the rules minorly to prevent donks (or at least the majority of them!).

EDIT: I LOVE the picture.

lol saby a turn 0 donk lol cuz most of the time the opp scoops before they start if you have a saby and special dark in hand and they have lonley 50hp poke lol so ya

donks are sord bad but thats what the format is come to i guess its just a experiment that there doing to see the impact on the game i mean there will be so many ways to donk no with this format i mean like you said theres saby,champ,kingdra,sp varients and even gengar can donk first turn now so and more to come so really if people hate being donked and what not theyll eventually build a donk deck lol who knows but either way the word donk will be used for a while lol

awesome poll and i donked my opponent in semi finals of reginals with sableye sp dark in game 3, and i only played 1 sableye, and i somehow always get him with sp dark in my hand if i have to start with him.

I love fast decks, I hate that the game has no safegaurd against donks. We need something to protect you from loosing because of a crap start.

What I hate even more than being donked by one of the cards above, is losing to some n00b because I start with a mesprit or simmilar evil starter, and a hand full of useless trainers/energy. I would be the happiest person in the world if we could have an optional mulligan for nats this year. Bad memories of a 5-0 start being RUINED by 2 dead starts (piplup+nrg...) in a row. :(

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I love fast decks, I hate that the game has no safegaurd against donks. We need something to protect you from loosing because of a crap start.

I also am a fan of rush decks. Thats why I used Legos at states. As odd as it may seem, rush decks don't donk often. They rely on disruption, quick set up and other tactics and usually are more solid than decks focused on the t1 win. Just making sure everyone knows the difference between a rush deck and a donk deck. ;)

What REALLY ballanced the format in the past was scramble. We really REALLY need that card in this format. That new energy is ok, but it just wont do enough IMO. With scramble you had skillfull battels, donks were rare, and donk decks failed horribly because scramble was so strong. I'm still holding on to my old RH scramble hoping for a reprint. lol

Last edited:
another option, that i think would work for slow play also, is a 3 point system.
1.win=6 prizes before time= 3 pts
2.win=other than #1=2pts
3. lose=0pts

I chose donks must be stopped.

Donks ruined this format. I liked it back in the old days where everybody actually had a game longer than 1:00 minute. Which it was the real GOOD GAME.

Last edited:
I think donks will just let arrogant players get their way, they will get some donks on more experienced/veteran players and claimed they are better in the game or they are better than the experienced/veteran players; and just keep boasting "I'm better than you!!!111", plus it really ruins the SOTG...

Look, we know that donk decks are out there and your bound to get donked on so just take it like a man and move on. It is just a game. A really fun game.

It's going to be your problem if YOU open with only one basic and lose your chance at words because of it...

I'd be ticked. But it's the game. One person has to win, one person has to lose.

I've been donk'd befor. It happens!

I guess I just handle losses as best I can.

If machamp wasn't around what decks would we have right now in the meta?
-sp variants
-gengar
-??

Like I said befor, it's not your opponents fault that you got a bad start.

I voted... Now decks that are built to take out other decks in early games are fine. The only problum that I see is the fact the person who went first really does not get any options to become more prepared against the 2nd player donk deck, unless they start with a pokemon or call energy to be able to set up there bench so they can stand a chance. So I think that they should either change it so player one can use supporters to give player 1 a bigger chance to withstand the player 2's donk deck.

I'd be ticked. But it's the game. One person has to win, one person has to lose.

I've been donk'd befor. It happens!

I guess I just handle losses as best I can.

If machamp wasn't around what decks would we have right now in the meta?
-sp variants
-gengar
-??

Like I said befor, it's not your opponents fault that you got a bad start.

We still have those decks as the meta....

Some of us actually are trying to get an invite. Losing 20 points to some scrub before you can do anything isn't any fun. Not only that, but I came over an hour to play. Its NO fun at all coming all that way to lose before I can even do anything. Donks happen, I understand that, BUT we should do everything possible to make less of them.

another option, that i think would work for slow play also, is a 3 point system.
1.win=6 prizes before time= 3 pts
2.win=other than #1=2pts
3. lose=0pts

No, No, No, No, and NO. This has been tried. It's just too open for gaming the system, and encourages stalling, especially in the late rounds, as people become more and more competitive for their spots in the top cut. Plus, it's an organizational nightmare for pretty much every TO that I can think about. Win and Loss. That's what the game is, and that's what the game should be.

Problem with question #7 for me: I don't feel that HP-On was fun to play, nor fun to build decks, definitely did not have a wide array of decks, but you were not likely to get donked and I did play. Where is the none of the above option? I am forced to vote for something I do not believe. Thanks!

Back