Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

This is America Dangit! Speak English!

drrty byl

This is America Dangit! Speak English!

Doesn't it seem ironic that some of us, as Americans, talk down to our expat brethren from below and above, left and right, just for being unable to communicate in our national tongue, English?

We are a nation of immigrants. So my question is -- does anyone think US federal and state governments should provide all legal documents in any and every language requested? Or, should we shun history in the interest of American nationalism, and make Americanish the official language of the United States? Let's face it -- we ex-Brit colonies have really diverted from a lot of the everyday UK dialect. I was watching an episode of "Monarch of the Glen" for the first time in a while earlier, and MAN was that Scottish accent difficult to decode! USers and foreign nationals discuss.

Last edited:
America might not have an official language, but it is still understood that English is the major language. I totally agree with the O.P. If someone comes to America, or any country for that matter, they should leran to speak the native language first. In this case, it would be English.

America might not have an official language, but it is still understood that English is the major language. I totally agree with the O.P. If someone comes to America, or any country for that matter, they should leran to speak the native language first. In this case, it would be English.

Arguably, English colonialism (and worldwide linguistic hegemony) sowed the seeds of US financial, militaristic, and political hegemony. Should we try to take credit by speaking Americanish?

You have to speak English to be a US citizen, you know. There's some ways to get out of it, but you have to 50 or older...

You speak AMERICAN in AMERICA. Bottom line. It saddens me to see all of these major fast food chains or restaurants or any public place for the matter, having to type out their signs in American and Spanish. We shouldn't be adapting to Spanish speakers, we should stay true to AMERICAN speakers.

I live in Florida, so I speak fluent Spanish. I simply refuse to, so very few people around me know I do. It makes it very easy to listen in on them when they talk about me in Spanish. I recently suprised a co-worker by telling him that if he ever insulted me again I would eat his liver raw with spices made from the marrow in his bones. Oh, and I told him that in Spanish. He shut up, and quickly. And I have not felt satisfaction like that in a long time.

I absolutely CAN'T STAND that America doesn't have a national language. It disgusts me. If you want to speak a different language in your own house or among friends or whatever is one thing, but to REFUSE to speak the common language of a country, and (in my area) there actually being BILLBOARDS SOLELY IN A FOREIGN LANGUAGE WITH NO ENGLISH TEXT ON THEM is just completely sick.

I guess if we aren't willing to spend the money, we shouldn't force people to do so in the first place. Really easy to talk like this when you're Caucasian guys, try living in a culture in this country where none of your grandparents speak English, then try to chastise people for not knowing.

I guess if we aren't willing to spend the money, we shouldn't force people to do so in the first place. Really easy to talk like this when you're Caucasian guys, try living in a culture in this country where none of your grandparents speak English, then try to chastise people for not knowing.

As I recall, my ancestors, ALL OF THEM, did that when they came over here.
In fact, my Italian family was openly mocked and their property vandalized because they spoke with an Italian accent. It was to the point where my Grandmother was not taught to speak Italian, for fear of having the accent that made them so mocked and ridiculed. So don't tell me what families go through, it is INFINITLY better than what my family went through when they came here.

Learn English, and if its to hard and you aren't 40 or so, leave. If you think that this is wrong that people be forced to conform with the norm of our society, SUCK IT UP AND QUIT CRYING YOU BIG BABIES. When a society made of Hodge Podges of literally every country and society and class and religion IN THE WORLD is demanding a norm as simple and reasonable as learning the most spoken language in the country you live in, You damn well do it or you just pack up and go back to w/e the heck you came from.

I'm adopted by Filipinos, all of whom moved here from the Philippines in the late 80s. I know what it's like to have a lot of family with a language barrier. I'm CaucASIAN.

My girlfriend's Mexican and I'm white. Normally, one would say that I jumped ship, but I think I actually hopped on the raft rather than off.

Also, I'm a cashier, and I'm sick and tired of people answering "Ees okeh" (say it with a thick, somewhat-high-pitched Mexican accent) to every single question I ask them.

"Hi, how are ya today?"
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh."
"Were you able to find everything ok?"
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh."
"It's gonna be a lovely evening, huh?"
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh"
"Would you like me to charge you double for this stereo set?"
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh."
"Repeat after me: She sells sea shells by the sea shore."
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh."
"Give me a two-word review for Quarantine . . . NOW!"
"Uhhhh . . . Ees okeh."

what language is 'american'?

'mom

lol, you would ask this!

American language is what "true" americans speak. You could say, im asian and work on a farm but it doesn't mean you are American. American language is speaking with words that ave direct meaning. Not...
Hola, Como estas!
hi, how are you?

get what I mean.

Im not even fully american, I am mainly German/Irish, my real name was supposed to be Scorpio, but in America, that would seem lame:p

Back