Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's your opinion on the TFG?

Shellshock929

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
I actually enjoyed playing it back at Origins. It's different than anything I've played so far, and it's more strategic, yet there's still the line between luck and skill. Nevertheless, it was a great concept, and I look foward to it's release.

-Peter

Note: This isn't a poll.

It's intriuging to say the least.
I am going to playing around with it some at league, but the TCG is where it's at for me.

lol better than the TCG...

it's a fun game but luck is way too involved, as such, I don't expect it to have much success in the 15+ area

lol better than the TCG...

it's a fun game but luck is way too involved, as such, I don't expect it to have much success in the 15+ area

While luck is a large factor, skill plays a SURPRISINGLY big part as well in the 6 on 6 game.
The TCG has you factor in luck, skill, deck building skill, deck competence, and several other things, but the TFG is almost all Luck and Skill, so a LOT of both is needed. Sure, there is SOME team building involved (For example, you aren't going to win with a team of 6 weedles), but almost any reasonable-looking team can win.

That's why it won't be appealing to older players, since building a team doesn't play nearly as big a role as luck, and I disagree, skill isn't really that needed, maybe it'll help you survive longer, but if you're having bad luck you will still lose, and that a good game does not make

That's why it won't be appealing to older players, since building a team doesn't play nearly as big a role as luck, and I disagree, skill isn't really that needed, maybe it'll help you survive longer, but if you're having bad luck you will still lose, and that a good game does not make

It depends on how you look at it.
To some people, there's no such thing as luck. Just random chance.
Because you cannot control random chance, the game becomes almost 100% skill.
And frankly, part of the skill aspect is knowing how to get ahead even if you're having an "unlucky streak". Even if you're so "unlucky" that you spin miss results 100% of the time, it's still possible to win if you know what you're doing.
A great example of this is the "surround" tactic - I end up using it in almost every game I play. There's no luck involved, because it's an automatic kill once you pull it off.

So, like I said, depends how you look at it.

lol obviously outplaying exists in the game, but assuming both players are of equal skill, one having slightly better luck (even) means a win, which is not good ;x

Someone give me your thoughts on this. By being able to see exactly what figures you are buying when you get the packs won't it be easier to get rare figures and easiar to get a winning team together?

Last edited:
it's great.

those who think it doesnt need strategy, it's like saying that u doesnt train and out of a sudden u became the world champion (of anything).

with the release of more and more powers and trainers, it will be skill-relevant.

p/s ; next quest's meowth has a switch-like power i heard!

BTW, are there any spoilers for TFG?

My family is enjoying the TFG. It is simple enough that my 6 year old can play easily but the adults have fun battling too. The boys and their dad play some other miniatures games like Heroscape and Star Wars. We like the spinning mechanism for Pokemon. Different and nice. But we like how the other games can change by having different battle scenarios by changing the battlefield. Many of these can be found online. Does anyone know if there are plans for the TFG to have different maps than the included 6-on-6? Maybe each player has half a mat that represents his/her 'gym. And maybe special effects based on the 'gym something like it's a water 'gym so all fire-types suffer from a weakness. This would really encourage building different teams, etc.

Spoilers would be great! We could start by those of us who have some of the EU/AU figs posting those. I'm curious about the different Trainer Cards as well.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Bulbapedia has a project based on the EU/AU released figs that lists the figs and their attacks/abilities. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Next_Quest_(TFG)

Last edited:
cool board ideas that'd be awsome. well ill be pleasantly suprised if i could actually afford enough to make a set. from the look of this luck and random chance factor if there are starter sets and if its just luck couldn't a starter set win a whole tournament? this shall be interesting....

It looks interesting. Obviously the rules are pretty easy to understand. I only have a couple of questions.

1: Can you use 6 of the same Pokemon? (really fast Pokemon seem like a good choice)
2: Are all 480+ Pokemon going to be made?
3: Are all the Gym-leaders from all the games going to be made as Trainers? (It would be cool to get Koga).

I will probably pick up at least a starter & a couple of boosters. Most likely of Pokemon I liked in the games.

1: No, the rules state that you can only use up to three of any single Pokemon

2: I have no clue but probably

3: I was talking about this earlier with my dad and it seems like a good idea. As far as an actual answer, again, I have nothing

Hopefully the TFG will be more original than the TCG and release one of each Pokemon before they start making five different groudons and kyogres. =/

Back