Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Public Healthcare is Bad

pat460

Every morning I am awoken by my alarm clock powered by electricity generated by the public power monopoly regulated by the US department of energy. I then take a shower in the clean water provided by the municipal water utility. After that, I turn on my T.V. to one of the FCC regulated channels to see what the national weather service of the national oceanographic and atmospheric administration determined the weather was going to be using satellites designed, built, and launched by the national aeronautics and space administration. I watch this while eating my breakfast of US department of agriculture inspected food and taking the drugs which have been determined as safe by the FDA.

At the appropriate time as regulated by the US congress and kept accurate by the national institute of standards and technology and the US naval observatory, I get into my national highway traffic safety approved vehicle and set out to school on the roads built by local, state, and federal departments of transportation, possibly stopping to buy fuel of a quality determined by the environmental protection agency, using legal tender issues by the federal reserve bank. On the way out of the door I check to see if I got any mail sent out via the US postal service, and deposit any mail I need to have sent. I get to my public school at which I am relativity safe and learn the approved materials as determined by the board of education for my state who design a curriculum based on national standards.

then, after spending my day being safe thanks to the several organizations who provide safety regulations for my school, I drive back home which hasn't been burned down thanks to state and local building codes and the fire marshal's inspection, and which has not been plundered in my absence because of my local police department.

I then log onto the internet which was developed by the defense advanced research projects administration and post on freerepublic and the fox news forum about how government run medicine is bad because the government can't do anything right.

i like this post a lot. clever. A-
fix the capitalization and grammar points and this would be a great ingredient for copypasta

Heh, I first checked OPs post count/join date just because I thought this might be a joke. But, it possibly isn't. And yes I agree. The government has proven time and time again that it is extremely inefficient. The government needs to reduce its spending and work on fixing the enormous debt. Once that is down, it needs to lay off on the taxes and most of its spending.

Also, we need to elect a 3rd party to office because the Ds and the Rs are way too comfortable right now.

Heh, I first checked OPs post count/join date just because I thought this might be a joke. But, it possibly isn't. And yes I agree. The government has proven time and time again that it is extremely inefficient. The government needs to reduce its spending and work on fixing the enormous debt. Once that is down, it needs to lay off on the taxes and most of its spending.

Also, we need to elect a 3rd party to office because the Ds and the Rs are way too comfortable right now.

Someone didnt understand the first post :lol:

@Topic

So happy to live in Europe :p

I think this one flew over your head

This is one of the very few times I'll ever say this. I agree with Pat460. Also, one of the few times that sarcasm is useful in a healthy debate. Well executed, man!

This is one of the very few times I'll ever say this. I agree with Pat460. Also, one of the few times that sarcasm is useful in a healthy debate. Well executed, man!

yep. well played...

'mom

No offense, and not addressing the topic at hand, but this comes across as very hypocritical. "Pat, your trolling and such is usually annoying and an infraction except when it helps my case."

While I understand that you have opinions and all, inconsistencies like this blur the line as precedent for future behaviors from users as a whole.

No offense, and not addressing the topic at hand, but this comes across as very hypocritical. "Pat, your trolling and such is usually annoying and an infraction except when it helps my case."

While I understand that you have opinions and all, inconsistencies like this blur the line as precedent for future behaviors from users as a whole.
um, what? 'hypocritical'? 'helps my case'?

'mom

um, what? 'hypocritical'? 'helps my case'?

'mom

I would stake money that you are a supporter of Public Health Care, and likewise that Pat's record of infractions for troll-like behavior is moderate to extensive. That is all. Although I suppose your stance is immaterial; the condoning of troll-like behavior is the precedent and the issue at hand.

Last edited:
Once again, prodigal_fanboy wins a thread. With a little estimation, I predict that at the rate prodigal_fanboy is posting, he will have won the entire internet by 2011.

I will give you props that, looking at the control angle, Healthcare isn't bad. When so much is controlled already, as you have pointed out, that entire point is null and void in a discussion.

HOWEVER (caps-lock for emphasis, as the bold font does not emphasize it enough, in my opinion), the main issue here is that WE CAN'T AFFORD IT. Our entire country's national debt is rising as we speak, and with the billions that this bill is going to cost us, you can say goodbye to the economy. Yeah, healthcare will be easier to get, but when the middle class becomes the lower class due to the rise of taxes that will almost inevitably follow, and we begin to lose our homes to the bankers and their evil foreclosure signs, healthcare will be the least of our worries.

Pokechamp: What, exactly, do you think has been going on for the last 10+ years? I have news for you, the middle class is and has been shrinking. And a good part of that is due to what would have been wage increases going to rising health insurance costs.

Is this bill perfect?
No, far from it.
But doing nothing, as we have done for the past 30+ years, is no longer an option.

As for this thread: You're only calling it trolling because you disagree with it.
I think we have a darn good record here on the PokeGym of having threads exposing viewpoints from both ends of the political spectrum and closing threads that bash from both sides as well.

As for this thread: You're only calling it trolling because you disagree with it.

No, its pretty obviously a troll. I didn't read it carefully the first time through, I just kinda felt the need to respond... But, in retrospect, it would be silly to call this anything other than a troll. Perhaps you support/allow it for the same reason 'mom does. Not that Im saying this should be locked, but read it. Admit that it is:

ryanvergel said:
a great ingredient for copypasta

No, its pretty obviously a troll.

Troll: "One who posts a deliberately provocative message to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument" (UrbanDictionary)

He was merely pointing out one of the major flaws in the arguments of anti-health care reform (That the government can't/shouldn't/isn't-capable-of controlling health care) by showing numerous counter examples. It doesn't counter the "where do we get the money argument", but we are so in debt right now, we should be asking that everytime our government spends any money.

(although to be honest, posting anything about health care on a forum these days is sure to cause "maximum disruption and argument")

There is a difference between "Merely pointing out the major flaws" and posting a sarcastic exposition with a title that counters his true opinion. To "merely point out" the major flaws would be to state them in a straightforward manner and ask for debate on the topic. This original post in this case is not that simple and is not solely pointing out flaws in the argument (although it does do that). No, this post surpasses that and enters the "I'm trying to start a war and then laugh at the results" realm. Once again, not that this is "bad", but see it for what it is. It is a form of trolling although it is still a relevant post to the debate on healthcare.

I think we have a darn good record here on the PokeGym of having threads exposing viewpoints from both ends of the political spectrum and closing threads that bash from both sides as well.

I agree with the validity of his argument in support of health care.
I maintain that reductio ad absurdum is the rhetorical equivalent of trolling, if not trolling itself.

Not calling into question the 'gym's record on opinions or viewpoints -- the current existence of God thread is evidence sufficient to prove that lively discussion can occur.

Ryan, this would make excellent Copypasta.....if it wasn't already. I happen to know the person who wrote this, and hate to say, this is NOT pat's original work.

I don't think pat was claiming it was his, I'm assuming he posted this because it is funny and brings a good arguement to the table.

Tossing an issue like this on Pokegym is like tossing two angry chickens into a tall cage. NOT GOOD.

No, its pretty obviously a troll. I didn't read it carefully the first time through, I just kinda felt the need to respond... But, in retrospect, it would be silly to call this anything other than a troll. Perhaps you support/allow it for the same reason 'mom does. Not that Im saying this should be locked, but read it. Admit that it is:
It's pretty obviously satire in the vein of the Colbert Report.
Showing that a position is wrong by agreeing with it to it's logical/illogical conclusion.
Sorry you're having a problem seeing that.

Back